daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 05:10 PM   #2701
AG

Likes (Received): 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyJ View Post
It looks like from LOHAS Park are trains towards North Point but ultimately end at Po Lam, probably to keep the "trunk" line frequency prior the addition of the spur line.
The reason this announcement is played is not because the trains from LOHAS Park run to Po Lam, but so that passengers who have boarded the wrong train can change to the correct trains for Hang Hau and Po Lam at Tseung Kwan O Station. The trains on the new branch line only run as a shuttle service back and forth between LOHAS Park and Tiu Keng Leng outside peak hours, otherwise they run between LOHAS Park and North Point.
AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 3rd, 2009, 06:41 PM   #2702
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18161

By 3ASV414 from a Hong Kong bus forum :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 10:41 PM   #2703
StanleyJ

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangwk View Post
I'm wondering if the MTR ever considered extending the Kwun Tong Line all the way to LOHAS Park (meaning 3 interchange stations together at Yau Tong, Tiu Keng Leng and Tseung Kwan O), instead of having a spur from the Tseung Kwan O Line, years before building it. It would be less confusing for the commuters, and at the same time maintaining the same frequency of the trains. It's still possible to do so now though, if MTR is willing to construct a new island platform beside the existing Tseung Kwan O station for the Kwun Tong line, then joining back the tracks towards LOHAS Park.
I doubt it. In fact, the post Tsuen Wan/Kwun Tong/Island Line, plus occasionally "well done", other times "what crack where they smoking?" new lines and integration with the KCR network has lumbered Hong Kong with an ugly mess. There's a problem when an "interchange" takes longer than going 2~3 stops on any of the lines (Mei Foo-Mei Foo, Central-Hong Kong, Tsim Sha Tsui-East TST) or not building an interchange at all (Kowloon Southern link at Tung Chung line's Olympic... the line runs right next to it!).

If any thing, for the Kwun Tong line, the majority of traffic when heading eastwards is actually cross harbour, so there's the annoyance of an extra change before one gets on to the Island Line (since commuters would be heading for Central-Admiralty-Wan Chai-Causeway Bay).

So, if I look at my own crystal ball, keeping in mind that the Quarry Bay area is being developed as the 3rd HK Island CBD, should there be yet another harbour cross from Whampoa to Fortress Hill... that's perfect to re-assign the Eastern Crossing back to that line and form a circle line where Fortress Hill-North Point-Quarry Bay are cross platform interchanges to the Island Line (and possibly North Island Line).

What should happen to the Tseung Kwun O line in that case? Well... from the HK Govts. Rail Development Study, there was talk of an East-West Kowloon line (Nam Cheong-Mong Kok East or Olympic-Kowloon Bay currently require very long detours... like going to Hong Kong Island from Kwun Tong prior 1989 and the Eastern harbour crossing)... so I would propose the Tseung Kwun O line be aligned to head along the Kowloon side harbour going through Sai Tso Wan/Kwun Tong Ferry Pier (it would be a closer MTR station for Laguna Park), interchange at Ngau Tau Kok, the head west to Mega Box, interchange at revised To Kwa Wan for West Rail/Ma On Shan Rail, possible stop Kowloon City near Boundary Street/Price Edward Road, new stop Yau Yat Tsuen on East Rail, interchange Shek Kip Mei and Sham Shui Po and finally terminate at Nam Cheong and complete the link up with the Tung Chung Line (and West Rail again).

The Eastern section around the Megabox area is a lot of old industrial buildings, where this too is being redeveloped as mixed use commercial... something which I'm sure MTR Property can swindle some money from. The Kowloon peninsula part finally links up five (Tung Chung Line, West Rail, Tsuen Wan Line, East Rail & Ma On Shan Rail) metro/commuter rail lines which serve north-south very well, but fail east-west. Lastly... said alignment also extends nicely to Stone Cutters, which has a nice big green hill ripe for a new town and to serve commuters that work at the container port.

However, obviously this is just too sensible, so MTR shall now stick with white elephant projects and do the HK section of Kowloon-Shenzhen-Guangzhou HSR (will they never learn that putting a terminus in Kowloon... you'll end up wanting to put it in Central?) and the HKG-SZX high speed airport link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangwk View Post
Have you taken photos of them? I wanna see them, but it's impossible for me since I'm living in Singapore.
I'll try, less hkskyline or Kaitak747 beat me to it... that said, it is just
nice shiny billboard versions of what is on the MTR corporate site:

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/projects/hk_index.html
http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/projects/f...ect_index.html

StanleyJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 09:40 AM   #2704
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Actually, the Kowloon Southern Link runs underneath and off to the side of Olympic station, so it's not possible to build an interchange. However, West Rail does interchange with the Tung Chung Line at Nam Cheong one stop north.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old August 4th, 2009, 11:01 AM   #2705
mrtfreak

Likes (Received): 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznichiro115 View Post
there is atleast 4 announcement saying that train is not for Po Lam and is for LOHAS Park, im sorry but you would have to be pretty stupid not to realize your on the wrong train
Ah, I see. Pretty true, even with all the announcements people could not listen. They may hear, but hearing is different from listening. We've had that problem in Singapore too when our airport branch was part of the mainline service. And now that it is a shuttle, people still have problems understanding that it doesn't go beyond the interchange station, but that's mostly tourists.
mrtfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #2706
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Old August 5th, 2009, 03:26 AM   #2707
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean View Post
Nice, will they install PSD soon?
Old August 5th, 2009, 03:36 AM   #2708
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgadv02 View Post
Nice, will they install PSD soon?
i don't think there is plan to retrofit the east rail platforms for PSD yet.
Old August 5th, 2009, 06:00 AM   #2709
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Anyone know how long it takes/expensive it is to reconfigure the LED maps on trains?
Old August 6th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #2710
Skybean
天豆

Old August 7th, 2009, 01:52 AM   #2711
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Quote:
So...lemme get something straight...the transit system is cool enough that TVB has a show for it?!?! Or is it paid by MTR?
Old August 7th, 2009, 06:28 AM   #2712
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Probably a public information service like when the other lines opened - to educate people such a thing exists.

Old August 7th, 2009, 11:52 PM   #2713
hinto
On the move

Likes (Received): 0

Not to mention it's easy filler material on the schedule.
Old August 8th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #2714
Skybean
天豆

Yummy... some nice eye candy in this episode.

Old August 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #2715
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:

Tuen Mun/Yuen Long > Hung Hum > Lo Wu/Lok Ma Chau > Shenzhen..........
Is the director crazy? That's a ridiculous suggested route.
Why don't I just take the bus/minibus from Tuen Mun/Yuen Long to Lok Ma Chau for Shenzhen, and save the extra hour on the train?
Old August 8th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #2716
Scion

Likes (Received): 4635

LOL I was thinking the exact same thing!!!
Scion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2009, 06:29 PM   #2717
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Yes - from NW New Territories, there are buses to the Shenzhen Deep Bay Link :

http://www.td.gov.hk/transport_in_ho.../index.htm#1.2

It's an MTR promotion series

Old August 10th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #2718
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By 馬馬馬馬馬馬 from a Hong Kong photography forum :

Old August 16th, 2009, 10:48 AM   #2719
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

West Rail Line Extended today! (Aug 16, 2009)

Photo Link from HKiTalk from Tsuen Wan West to Austin and Hung Hom, posted by ckayiu531

There's not much problem for its operation expect the defects for the displays in Hung Hom.
Old August 17th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #2720
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkth View Post
West Rail Line Extended today! (Aug 16, 2009)

Photo Link from HKiTalk from Tsuen Wan West to Austin and Hung Hom, posted by ckayiu531

There's not much problem for its operation expect the defects for the displays in Hung Hom.
So can anyone tell me how long this extension took and its length and cost? Or is this available via Wikipedia? B/c it seemed only a year ago that it started, and its already complete so fast given the extreme density of HK, I find that to be amazing.

Tags
hongkong, metro