daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2009, 12:25 PM   #2761
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I really hope it was a company that took those photos... and it wasn't just some train geek making his girlfriend pose with MTR signs
city_thing no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2009, 12:36 PM   #2762
StanleyJ

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
LOL! Hello there.

Btw, do they really have to make those guys stay there with those signs?
Yes. Yes they do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
I really hope it was a company that took those photos... and it wasn't just some train geek making his girlfriend pose with MTR signs
The photo watermarks gave it away... they are taken by (CC)TVB, one of the local TV broadcasters, so the girl is some Z-list HK "celebrity" I assume...
StanleyJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #2763
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Likes (Received): 5961

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyJ View Post
Yes. Yes they do...
Yeah, but why? Isn't there another way to inform people if the train goes to LOHAS Park or Po Lam?

It's actually a serious question, I'm not mocking.
Cosmin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #2764
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmin View Post
Yeah, but why? Isn't there another way to inform people if the train goes to LOHAS Park or Po Lam?

It's actually a serious question, I'm not mocking.
Yes, there are announcements and TV screens on the platform to inform passengers the destination.
These MTR staff is a temporary action to further empathizing the information, and serves as representative to answer any questions promptly if there is any.
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:11 PM   #2765
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Ok, I get it. Thanks.
Old September 15th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #2766
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
So it won't technically expire right.
yes, but i believe there is a surcharge to reactivate your card.
Old September 16th, 2009, 04:32 AM   #2767
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_thing View Post
She's Katy Kung, a TVB artist (Z-list for now). They are from her personal TVB blog, so it was probably taken by a friend of hers.

More of her here

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vikii/3...n/photostream/

Last edited by Skybean; September 16th, 2009 at 04:47 AM.
Skybean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 04:51 AM   #2768
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18161

I think it's a waste of money and effort to actually employ so many people to hold up signs. The interchange is clearly marked and the different colours indicate the different lines. I don't see how that improves customer service by having a mouth there to tell you what the sign above blatantly says.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2009, 03:11 PM   #2769
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
I think it's a waste of money and effort to actually employ so many people to hold up signs. The interchange is clearly marked and the different colours indicate the different lines. I don't see how that improves customer service by having a mouth there to tell you what the sign above blatantly says.
I think so, too.
Same thing for the SKL, how confusing can it be to walk across the platform for transfer? And it was all big deal.

Well, we know HK people... we are all spoiled by the MTR.
Old September 17th, 2009, 12:41 AM   #2770
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

Redundancy is one thing MTR excels at. All the redundant signage, and now the extra "ambassadors," make it painfully obvious where to go.
Old September 17th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #2771
StanleyJ

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I don't see how that improves customer service by having a mouth there to tell you what the sign above blatantly says.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
I think so, too.
Same thing for the SKL, how confusing can it be to walk across the platform for transfer? And it was all big deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchan7 View Post
Redundancy is one thing MTR excels at. All the redundant signage, and now the extra "ambassadors," make it painfully obvious where to go.
I hazard a guess it's pandering to a "certain" country bumpkin group of visitors or migrants whom seem to have real trouble following even the simplest of instructions.
StanleyJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 01:02 AM   #2772
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
I hazard a guess it's pandering to a "certain" country bumpkin group of visitors or migrants whom seem to have real trouble following even the simplest of instructions.
Ouch lol
Old September 18th, 2009, 04:22 AM   #2773
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean View Post
She's Katy Kung, a TVB artist (Z-list for now). They are from her personal TVB blog, so it was probably taken by a friend of hers.
She was the one that was in that recent police show right? The one with "Laughing Goh?"
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 05:00 AM   #2774
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

I'm not sure... I rarely watch TVB nowadays.

Since it seems like there are several people interested in her, here is some info on her. I don't know if her filmography details are up to date. I do watch Scoop whenever I can and I've seen Dressage to Win.

Birthday: December 5, 1989
Height: 162cm
Bust: 32
Waist: 24
Hips: 33

Variety Shows:

- Scoop Host

TVB Series:

- Dressage to Win - 盛裝舞步愛作戰 (2008)
- You're Hired! - 絕代商驕 (2009)

Movies:

- Love Connected - 保持愛你(2008)

I don't know if there's a police show in there, but it doesn't look like it.

I hope this hasn't derailed the thread.... back to the MTR!
Old September 18th, 2009, 06:01 AM   #2775
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Not really. I doubt this is for tourists, as the signs I've seen at Nam Cheong or East Tsim Sha Tsui or Hung Hom are all in traditional Chinese!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old September 18th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #2776
EricIsHim

Quote:
Not really. I doubt this is for tourists, as the signs I've seen at Nam Cheong or East Tsim Sha Tsui or Hung Hom are all in traditional Chinese!
I'll be the first one to protest if MTR does thing in simplified chinese only in HK!!!
Old September 19th, 2009, 02:18 AM   #2777
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
I'll be the first one to protest if MTR does thing in simplified chinese only in HK!!!
Seriously, simplified chinese is just plain disrespectful and it breaks down the language...just like typing "u" - even i do it too
Old September 19th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #2778
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
Seriously, simplified chinese is just plain disrespectful and it breaks down the language...just like typing "u" - even i do it too
Knowing Hong Kong people, expect a protest within 24 hours.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 11:42 AM   #2779
hkskyline
Hong Kong

10,000 oppose MTR line's path
23 September 2009
South China Morning Post

More than 10,000 signatures opposing the South Island Line's alignment had been submitted to the government when a two-month objection period on the link ended yesterday.

The Transport and Housing Bureau was still working last night to identify the groups or individuals who had filed objections.

Their grievances will have to be considered before the project can move on to the next stage.

While district residents support construction of the link, many are unhappy about a viaduct section above the nullah between Nam Fung Road and Ap Lei Chau, which will damage the area's beautiful scenery and pass several noise-sensitive institutions - a seminary, a temple, a home for the elderly and a hostel for the mentally disabled.

Tai Wong Yeh, a temple at the mouth of the nullah near Wong Chuk Hang, also filed an objection over the viaduct design yesterday.

Temple keeper Paul Cheung Kin-hung said the government was going to take over a small piece of land between the temple and the nullah. The temple has used the land for rituals for 20 years.

Cheung said the land was being claimed to make way for a viaduct foundation column, which would be built right outside the temple's entrance.

The MTR has already agreed to enclose the viaduct to lessen the noise but engineers are still studying ways to move the viaduct away from the complainants.

Suggestions may be made in two weeks.

Meanwhile, complaints against taxi drivers overcharging jumped about 58 per cent to 313 cases during the first half of this year over the same period last year.

The increase followed changes to the fare system last year that saw fares rise for short trips and fall for longer journeys. The changes came before the Transport Department officially altered all taxi metres.

Other complaints against taxi drivers have declined.

Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:48 PM   #2780
Cosmin
Euro Mod

Airport Express Travel Pass Question

Hey guys, I'm leaving for HK tomorrow and I have everything sorted out, but I do have one quick question. I'll be staying in HK for 3 days, and will leave early in the morning on the 4th day.

I'm thinking of buying the HK$300 Airport Express Travel Pass with a round-trip journey on the airport express and 3 days of unlimited travel on MTR, and on the 4th day, in the morning, just charge the card with the amount needed to go from Jordan to Hong Kong (HK$ 8.5).

And here's the question: do those two trips on the airports express need to be made in the same 3-day period, or can I make one on the first day (VHHH-Hong Kong) and make the second one (Hong Kong - VHHH) on the 4th day?

Also, I understand this pass is also an Octopus card, right? So after the pass expires I can just charge it with whatever sum I need, like a regular Octopus?

Thanks in advance.

Tags
hongkong, metro