daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 6th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #2881
maldini

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
The thread name itself does not have to reflect the operator. Why would I not know my own city?

In the case of MTR, you would only call it the MTR because that's how everyone refers to the system as. Same with Paris and Metro/RER, Vancouver with SkyTrain (reference to the rapid transit lines), London and Underground, etc.
Hong Kong people do not even call it the MTR. When they take the subway, they call it the subway. When they take the railway, they call it the west railway or the east railway, depending on which line they take.
Now, just because of the MTR and KCR merged together to form a new entity, that does not mean the people have to change the habit.
maldini no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 6th, 2010, 11:07 AM   #2882
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldini View Post
Hong Kong people do not even call it the MTR. When they take the subway, they call it the subway. When they take the railway, they call it the west railway or the east railway, depending on which line they take.
Now, just because of the MTR and KCR merged together to form a new entity, that does not mean the people have to change the habit.
In Cantonese, I would refer it to the subway, but not so sure in English. Either way, my point from the beginning is that if people wanted to change the thread name, they can suggest it and it will most likely be approved.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 05:48 PM   #2883
Gag Halfrunt

Likes (Received): 27

EricIsHim said upthread that, in Hong Kong, the word "subway" (in English) means a pedestrian underpass, as in Britain.
Gag Halfrunt no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #2884
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Absolutely, the old Chinese name for the MTR is literally "subway," *EDIT: as transliterated into American terms but is MTR in HK terms* (地鐵) and MTR is an English name, hence HKers use the Chinese name.

Last edited by herenthere; February 10th, 2010 at 06:16 AM.
herenthere no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 10:01 PM   #2885
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

If you read and/or listen to the English media in HK, or talk to the English speaking locals, all of them refer the system as "MTR," not "subway." It isn't a direct translation.
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:21 AM   #2886
deasine
=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
If you read and/or listen to the English media in HK, or talk to the English speaking locals, all of them refer the system as "MTR," not "subway." It isn't a direct translation.
Precisely my point.
Old February 7th, 2010, 06:14 PM   #2887
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Since the forum language in this part of SSC is English I'd prefer MTR as well.
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2010, 05:52 AM   #2888
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Thread renamed. Enjoy!

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 05:31 PM   #2889
EricIsHim

Old February 15th, 2010, 05:12 PM   #2890
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Safety in smaller numbers
The Standard
Friday, February 12, 2010

It's a tiny fraction compared to the millions of rides recorded annually on the MTR.

There were 195 accidents related to the platform gaps last year, and that's 4 percent less than the 2008 figure.

But just so there'd even be fewer unlucky riders this year, a Chinese University psychology department associate professor took the time to analyze the accidents.

His findings: four of every five occurred after people misjudged their footing because they were either trying to rush onto the train or were being blocked by others.

The remaining 20 percent happened after passengers lost their balance or because they were pushed, carrying bulky luggage or under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

And more accidents - 70 percent - happened when boarding the train.

Fortunately though, there were no major injuries resulting from the accidents.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old February 16th, 2010, 05:16 AM   #2891
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
We call it MTR in fact any rail transport is called MTR whether its underground, surface rail or airport express trains.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2010, 06:13 AM   #2892
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
We call it MTR in fact any rail transport is called MTR whether its underground, surface rail or airport express trains.
Among the locals we differentiate it a bit. We don't call Airport Express MTR. It's a different term in Cantonese.

Old February 16th, 2010, 11:53 AM   #2893
deasine
=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
We don't call Airport Express MTR. It's a different term in Cantonese.
Direct Translation: Airport Fast Line.
Old February 17th, 2010, 04:20 AM   #2894
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
Among the locals we differentiate it a bit. We don't call Airport Express MTR. It's a different term in Cantonese.
I have no clue since I'm not Chinese. But that's the only exception. Non Chinese HK residents call it Airport Express while other are just plain MTR.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2010, 04:28 AM   #2895
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by WANCH View Post
I have no clue since I'm not Chinese. But that's the only exception. Non Chinese HK residents call it Airport Express while other are just plain MTR.
Even following the KCR-MTR merger, the old terminology is still sticking, and is expected to stick for quite some time until the new generation flushes it out. The buses still use the old naming convention, with the K suffix denoting connection to the KCR line and the M suffix denoting connection to the MTR line. These will likely stay for a long time.

The Chinese name for the MTR has also changed, even though the English name is still the same.

Old February 17th, 2010, 04:20 PM   #2896
EricIsHim

Quote:
Even following the KCR-MTR merger, the old terminology is still sticking, and is expected to stick for quite some time until the new generation flushes it out. The buses still use the old naming convention, with the K suffix denoting connection to the KCR line and the M suffix denoting connection to the MTR line. These will likely stay for a long time.

The Chinese name for the MTR has also changed, even though the English name is still the same.
Buses have changed the destinations from MTR station and KCR station to simply Railway Station for all.

Honestly, "Railway Station" is quite a heavy term for internal rapid transit.
Old February 18th, 2010, 06:47 AM   #2897
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
Direct Translation: Airport Fast Line.
Or just Airport Rail (機鐵)? lol

Quote:
Even following the KCR-MTR merger, the old terminology is still sticking, and is expected to stick for quite some time until the new generation flushes it out.
I'm proud to not be a part of that generation
Old February 18th, 2010, 07:36 AM   #2898
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
Buses have changed the destinations from MTR station and KCR station to simply Railway Station for all.

Honestly, "Railway Station" is quite a heavy term for internal rapid transit.
I also think it's too heavy for internal traffic. In my opinion, "MTR staion 港鐵站“ would be a proper translation for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
Or just Airport Rail (機鐵)? lol

The Chinese official name of Airport Express is "機場快線"
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:19 AM   #2899
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

I love this map...

Old February 26th, 2010, 04:30 PM   #2900
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Cheap MTR stays on track for elderly
18 February 2010
The Standard

The MTR Corp has extended its HK$2 elderly fare promotion for another six months, until August 31.

The scheme, which was due to expire at the end of this month, allows senior citizens to ride the MTR for a flat fare of HK$2 on Wednesdays and public holidays.

It was designed to encourage seniors to participate more in community events and activities and take advantage of special public promotions available on Wednesdays, such as at the Space Museum.

``We are pleased that the HK$2 promotion has been encouraging senior citizens to get out, with some 200,000 enjoying the flat fare each Wednesday,'' said Jeny Yeung Mei-chun, the MTRC's marketing general manager.

Yeung said the number of Elderly Octopus cardholders traveling on Wednesdays jumped more than 40 percent after the promotion was introduced. The HK$2 fare, applicable for any destination on the MTR's network except the airport, Lo Wu and Lok Ma Chau, is on top of concessions of up to 50 percent off regular adult fares that senior citizens already enjoy daily.

Tags
hongkong, metro