daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 28th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #2901
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Likes (Received): 16

西鐵通車官方影片 KCR West Rail - Commencement Video

名片:「西鐵動力 拓新領域」。九廣西鐵於2003年12月20日正式通車,此為西鐵開幕典禮中播放的片 段。片中回顧西鐵由規劃至落成的每件大事,以及西鐵創下的多個紀錄。Film title: "West Rail - The Way Ahead" KCR West Rail started its formal service on Dec 20, 2003. This commencement video was played at the beginning on the West Rail commencement ceremony. This video also stated West Rail project milestones and records.

Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2010, 04:11 PM   #2902
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

The extention of TST East station pedestrian tunnel

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/corporate/...R-10-013-C.pdf

http://www.hkitalk.net/HKiTalk2/view...&extra=&page=4
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:47 AM   #2903
aznichiro115

Likes (Received): 13

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/projects/hk_newtrain.html

first pictures of the new trains
aznichiro115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 05:15 PM   #2904
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

More : http://snaapa.com/Bchan2007/TSW_DAY_NIGHT

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:52 PM   #2905
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Opinion : MTR Corp has gone over the top with stream of announcements
28 February 2010
South China Morning Post

Five days a week I commute from Tung Chung to Causeway Bay on the MTR.

I am concerned about the constant verbal announcements in the carriages.

At each station there is one announcement which is repeated.

One-way, that means 12 announcements in three languages - Cantonese, Putonghua and English.

Including the return trip, that adds up to 24 announcements a day.

There is also the "Please stand back from the door" appeal and passengers are told on which side of the carriage the doors will open.

In one year this comes to 14,300 announcements.

Add the weekend trips, and that is more than 15,000 times that passengers are subjected to the same messages through the loudspeakers. I think this is excessive.

Why does the MTR Corp feel the need to announce the stations and interchanges when 95 per cent of the commuters are local people who regularly use the lines and know they have reached the station where they will alight. Even for tourists using the system, they can read the network map in the carriages.

Does the MTR management not agree that there is no need to tell passengers to stand back from the doors?

The distinctive blinking sound will suffice.

Other mass transportation systems in other large cities that also have a few million passengers a day do not have so many announcements.

When the door is about to close there is a distinctive sound and that is enough. Commuters in cities like Shanghai, Tokyo, Singapore, Paris and London are not stupid.

Closer to home, the former KCR line, the East Rail, is free of all these announcements and it feels so peaceful.

I should add that when I reach my apartment block a voice announces the floors and another one says whether the lift is going up or down.

My building is managed by the MTR Corp.

D. Orelice, Tung Chung

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old March 5th, 2010, 03:54 AM   #2906
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Old March 5th, 2010, 04:03 AM   #2907
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

To say that there are few announcements in London is ridiculous if you've ever used it during rush hour.

Paris and Moscow have practically zero unnecessary announcements which I prefer.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #2908
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
28 February 2010
South China Morning Post

Five days a week I commute from Tung Chung to Causeway Bay on the MTR.

I am concerned about the constant verbal announcements in the carriages.

At each station there is one announcement which is repeated.

One-way, that means 12 announcements in three languages - Cantonese, Putonghua and English.

Including the return trip, that adds up to 24 announcements a day.

There is also the "Please stand back from the door" appeal and passengers are told on which side of the carriage the doors will open.

In one year this comes to 14,300 announcements.

Add the weekend trips, and that is more than 15,000 times that passengers are subjected to the same messages through the loudspeakers. I think this is excessive.

Why does the MTR Corp feel the need to announce the stations and interchanges when 95 per cent of the commuters are local people who regularly use the lines and know they have reached the station where they will alight. Even for tourists using the system, they can read the network map in the carriages.

Does the MTR management not agree that there is no need to tell passengers to stand back from the doors?

The distinctive blinking sound will suffice.

Other mass transportation systems in other large cities that also have a few million passengers a day do not have so many announcements.

When the door is about to close there is a distinctive sound and that is enough. Commuters in cities like Shanghai, Tokyo, Singapore, Paris and London are not stupid.

Closer to home, the former KCR line, the East Rail, is free of all these announcements and it feels so peaceful.

I should add that when I reach my apartment block a voice announces the floors and another one says whether the lift is going up or down.

My building is managed by the MTR Corp.

D. Orelice, Tung Chung
True, when I first started to take BART, they had no announcements, and when we came to an interchange station, it's just the driver talking over the microphone, usually in a manner that's both too soft in volume, and too muddled to understand.

That's much better.

If the writer can't stand it, maybe he/she can get some ear plugs.

And on the East Rail, I'm pretty sure they announce the stations, but sometimes it's so muted you can't hear anything.

The door thing, though, I can understand, it gets annoying after a while.

Since the trains are on a fixed route, I suppose it can do without all the announcements except for the terminus and interchange.

They've been doing it for years though, hardly a recent development.

I actually would find it more helpful if the buses posted route maps on the upper deck, sometimes I have no idea where I am if I'm taking a random bus to a place I seldom go to.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #2909
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Those tunnels are so dull, when I lived in TST hotels I walked across them quite often to get to TST east to eat, etc... and I couldn't help but wonder how much nicer it would be if there were some shops (I know there are some towards the ends, but not throughout much of the area), or at least some advertisements to give me something to look at.

Old March 5th, 2010, 09:38 AM   #2910
hkskyline
Hong Kong

They probably don't have enough room under the street to have a very wide tunnel and put shops in there.

Old March 5th, 2010, 11:02 AM   #2911
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
Those tunnels are so dull, when I lived in TST hotels I walked across them quite often to get to TST east to eat, etc... and I couldn't help but wonder how much nicer it would be if there were some shops (I know there are some towards the ends, but not throughout much of the area), or at least some advertisements to give me something to look at.
To be honest, it's cozy, functional but too dull. Although there is not enough space for the development of shops, however there should be more decoration to make it more lively and dynamic.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old March 5th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #2912
anonymous_filipino

Likes (Received): 596

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznichiro115 View Post
The new trains look like Bombardier MOVIA trains.
anonymous_filipino no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #2913
EricIsHim

Quote:
True, when I first started to take BART, they had no announcements, and when we came to an interchange station, it's just the driver talking over the microphone, usually in a manner that's both too soft in volume, and too muddled to understand.

That's much better.

If the writer can't stand it, maybe he/she can get some ear plugs.

And on the East Rail, I'm pretty sure they announce the stations, but sometimes it's so muted you can't hear anything.

The door thing, though, I can understand, it gets annoying after a while.

Since the trains are on a fixed route, I suppose it can do without all the announcements except for the terminus and interchange.

They've been doing it for years though, hardly a recent development.

I actually would find it more helpful if the buses posted route maps on the upper deck, sometimes I have no idea where I am if I'm taking a random bus to a place I seldom go to.
OK, it may be overwhelmed to do the same thing over and over again at each station.
But if one person is out of his/her mind for some reason, or a non-local doesn't know anything and get injured or even killed, those annoying things would have saved him/her. The announcement is better be safe than sorry. (In some extend, it's also liability responsibility for the MTR Corp., too.)

Some KMB buses do have a route map on-board.
But the difficulty is the same vehicle run on different routes, it is difficult to keep these maps replaced on each run.
The station announcement system is getting more popular, so I guess it has improved the ease for some people
Old March 5th, 2010, 06:54 PM   #2914
EricIsHim

Quote:
Quote:
They probably don't have enough room under the street to have a very wide tunnel and put shops in there.
Yes, the tunnels are very limited by the width of the street above, basically from building to building. They can't be wider than the road and build under existing building (at least not financially effective,) so no room for retails. I always feel that it's a maze down there.

Talking about worse passage, Causeway Bay between Times Square and the main station is another one.
Old March 6th, 2010, 01:38 AM   #2915
hinto
On the move

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
28 February 2010
South China Morning Post

Well blind passengers can't, for one thing. I'm sure there's some sort of accessibility standards that the MTR follows. Not to mention that station announcements aren't some kind of novel invention... they're there because at least some passengers find them useful. I concede that hearing everything 3 times in multiple languages gets repetitive... but that's where the iPod comes in. For me, the announcements usually just fade into the background anyway.

If anything, these 2 things about MTR annoy me more:
1/ changing the closing chime from 9 beeps to 20 beeps. A tad excessive, no? If someone wants to rush on a train, they'll do it regardless.
2/ using one announcer for the Cantonese and English announcements, and a separate one for the Mandarin announcements. I'm sure there are announcers out there fluent in all 3 languages.
Old March 6th, 2010, 02:20 AM   #2916
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaitak747 View Post
To be honest, it's cozy, functional but too dull. Although there is not enough space for the development of shops, however there should be more decoration to make it more lively and dynamic.
Like more color-MTR stations are very colorful and vibrant...I remember first walking in these subways and I thought, "Wow, it looks so...old and neglected."

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinto View Post
1/ changing the closing chime from 9 beeps to 20 beeps. A tad excessive, no? If someone wants to rush on a train, they'll do it regardless.
Yeah-this is probably increased noise pollution.
Old March 6th, 2010, 05:04 AM   #2917
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinto View Post
Well blind passengers can't, for one thing. I'm sure there's some sort of accessibility standards that the MTR follows. Not to mention that station announcements aren't some kind of novel invention... they're there because at least some passengers find them useful. I concede that hearing everything 3 times in multiple languages gets repetitive... but that's where the iPod comes in. For me, the announcements usually just fade into the background anyway.

2/ using one announcer for the Cantonese and English announcements, and a separate one for the Mandarin announcements. I'm sure there are announcers out there fluent in all 3 languages.
Yes, that chime is really annoying - gives people an even better chance of running for it. I think the change came after some kid got caught on a closing door, and they had to do 'something' to show off to the public they care.

Old March 8th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #2918
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Monash keeps rail network on track
2 March 2010
The Australian

MONASH University has signed a four-year contract worth more than $1 million with MTR Corporation to provide knowledge, procedures and software tools for its Hong Kong rail network.

Monash's Institute of Railway Technology will provide strategic rail management and maintenance consultancy to MTR to optimise its wheel and rail maintenance practices.

IRT has forged a strong relationship with MTR -- the major joint venture partner of Metro Trains Melbourne -- over the past two decades but the latest contract is considered an important milestone.

IRT business manager Ravi Ravitharan said the institute would play a leading role in enabling MTR to proactively manage the vital wheel-rail, steel-on-steel interface.

``The last major study on wheel-rail interface involving urban lines was done about six or seven years ago,'' Mr Ravitharan said. ``Since that time, they have opened up new lines so (we will look at) what are the impacts from those and new rolling stock they have brought in.''

MTR is responsible for the entire passenger railway operation in Hong Kong following its merger with Kowloon Canton Railway Corporation in 2007. It is one of the world's most heavily used urban mass transit systems, carrying more than 2.5 million passengers each day.

``In Hong Kong, the metro system at peak hour has a train every 90 seconds, so they can't really afford to have a failure or any rail replacement due to the traffic and limited downtime,'' Mr Ravitharan said. The research ``will improve their efficiency to maintain the availability of those track sections''.

IRT would play a key role in helping MTR reduce overall rail management costs and increase the capability of its Hong Kong rail system, he said. The project would focus on managing the wheel-rail interface in its Urban, East and Airport railway lines.

Mr Ravitharan said the project would also enable MTR to enhance its operation, which is regarded as the benchmark in mass transit rail systems.

IRT has conducted several studies to identify causes of rail deterioration on MTR Urban Line tracks and to devise strategies to slow the rate of deterioration. IRT had its origins in BHP and was established at Monash University in 2000.

Old March 11th, 2010, 02:01 PM   #2919
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
OK, it may be overwhelmed to do the same thing over and over again at each station.
But if one person is out of his/her mind for some reason, or a non-local doesn't know anything and get injured or even killed, those annoying things would have saved him/her. The announcement is better be safe than sorry. (In some extend, it's also liability responsibility for the MTR Corp., too.)

Some KMB buses do have a route map on-board.
But the difficulty is the same vehicle run on different routes, it is difficult to keep these maps replaced on each run.
The station announcement system is getting more popular, so I guess it has improved the ease for some people
Yes, I certainly know what they're there for, and personally, I don't really get annoyed at the announcements being made. But, I can see where the author was coming from, as to have to hear it day in and day out probably isn't very pleasant.

I can certainly understand the case for people who have never gone into a subway like Hong Kong's (or a subway at all), I was surprised, especially last summer, to run into 4-5 people, all mandarin speaking save one, that had no idea how to get into the MTR. I had to help a elder lady buy her ticket and show her how to get through the gate... among other things. I've never run into so many such people before... so for those people the announcements are certainly beneficial.

I'm just surprised that in the litigation-happy US, and for a state who (snobbily and mistakenly) prides itself in being all progressive and trying to be the forefront of everything (believe me, some people here truly believe that, and such a thing is evidenced by our bloated, convoluted, and largely useless regulations in many areas) , actually have such a technologically backwards subway system.

The route maps on the KMB bus are actually quite clear, always on the lower floor just past the driver, but you don't always know what station you got on at, and the bus driver doesn't always update the next stop...

Old March 11th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #2920
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Quote:
Yes, that chime is really annoying - gives people an even better chance of running for it. I think the change came after some kid got caught on a closing door, and they had to do 'something' to show off to the public they care.
You know what's more annoying is that during peak hours, you get all these people who try to run for it, and inevitably gets clamped by the door, then the doors get stuck for moment, all open up, then the announcement repeats (please stand back from the door, in all three languages, plus the obligatory beep beep beep x9)

And sometimes, because people are just selfish and stupid like that, and can't wait the extra 30 seconds for the next train to come, and should know that in the extra minute it took for them to cram themselves into the crowded train, it could've left and the second one could've come...

the whole process repeats 2-3 times! The worst I've seen we actually got stuck for 90 extra seconds while the doors tried to close 5 times! And with all those announcements, all the while moving nowhere.

Tags
hongkong, metro