daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 2nd, 2010, 04:59 AM   #2941
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by allurban View Post

And the extension of the KCR to Tsim Sha Tsui East made transfers from KCR to MTR quite a bit easier in Tsim Sha Tsui - way more comfortable and faster than the earlier transfer at Mong Kong or the Hung Hom to Tsim Sha Tsui walk

Cheers, m
Actually, no one transfer between the KCR/East Rail and the MTR at Mong Kok and Hung Hom/Tsim Sha Tsui. The stations between two lines are a good 20+ minutes walk. East Rail doesn't go to TST anymore, passengers have to transfer tot he West Rail for TST now, which isn't attractive for East Rail/MTR transfer.
Plus the gated area for MTR and the gated area for West Rail isn't connected.

Kowloon Tong is still the main East Rail/MTR transfer point.

Sponsored Links
Old April 2nd, 2010, 11:30 AM   #2942
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
Actually, no one transfer between the KCR/East Rail and the MTR at Mong Kok and Hung Hom/Tsim Sha Tsui. The stations between two lines are a good 20+ minutes walk. East Rail doesn't go to TST anymore, passengers have to transfer tot he West Rail for TST now, which isn't attractive for East Rail/MTR transfer.

hahaha yeah, Im a bit out of date - last time I was in HK was in 2006 before West Rail was extended down to Tsim Sha Tsui.

As for 'no one' making those connections - it's not common, of course - but I did it regularly because it was an enjoyable experience and I had the time.

I stayed near Kowloon Tong the 2nd time I was in Hong Kong - it was a very convenient place to base myself for traveling in and around HK.

Cheers, m

w. http://transitmy.org
e. [email protected]
tw. http://twitter.com/transitmy
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TRANSI...12392362108880
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2010, 03:05 PM   #2943
EricIsHim

Quote:
As for 'no one' making those connections - it's not common, of course - but I did it regularly because it was an enjoyable experience and I had the time.
Well, "no one" was just a general term for residents.
You're a tourist in town, doesn't count.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:22 AM   #2944
xeror

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladisimo View Post
Those tunnels are so dull, when I lived in TST hotels I walked across them quite often to get to TST east to eat, etc... and I couldn't help but wonder how much nicer it would be if there were some shops (I know there are some towards the ends, but not throughout much of the area), or at least some advertisements to give me something to look at.
These underground walkways are built by the KCRC under the agreement with the government to serve as subways (underpasses). They are not considered as regular exits of either Tsim Sha Tsui Station or East Tsim Sha Tsui Station. Hence, no retail shops or advertisements are allowed in these underground walkways. If you consider the width of the streets above the walkways, there is plenty of room to make the walkways wider to fit retail shops. And consider other regular MTR station exits, you will see walkways with plenty of advertisements along them but not these ones. And as a result, MTR cannot link the paid areas of the two stations together by using one of these walkways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinto View Post
Well blind passengers can't, for one thing. I'm sure there's some sort of accessibility standards that the MTR follows. Not to mention that station announcements aren't some kind of novel invention... they're there because at least some passengers find them useful. I concede that hearing everything 3 times in multiple languages gets repetitive... but that's where the iPod comes in. For me, the announcements usually just fade into the background anyway.

If anything, these 2 things about MTR annoy me more:
1/ changing the closing chime from 9 beeps to 20 beeps. A tad excessive, no? If someone wants to rush on a train, they'll do it regardless.
2/ using one announcer for the Cantonese and English announcements, and a separate one for the Mandarin announcements. I'm sure there are announcers out there fluent in all 3 languages.
I agree that the 20 beeps are annoying. I suggest they just keep the 20 beeps but get rid of the announcement in words - "Please stand back from the doors". The beeps are enough to warn the people the doors are closing.

Last edited by xeror; April 3rd, 2010 at 05:38 AM.
xeror no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #2945
allurban
All Urban

Quote:
Well, "no one" was just a general term for residents.
You're a tourist in town, doesn't count.
As you like. Actually, I wasnt a 'tourist', I just liked to walk and I had lots of time to do so.

So there.

Cheers, m

e. [email protected]
Old April 5th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #2946
EricIsHim

Quote:
As you like. Actually, I wasnt a 'tourist', I just liked to walk and I had lots of time to do so.

So there.

Cheers, m
OK, I change my word "no one", to "majority don't."
Old April 6th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #2947
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Likes (Received): 16

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old April 6th, 2010, 02:31 PM   #2948
EricIsHim

The world of advertisement... it's so overwhelmed.
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #2949
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
I really like the Nissin one with the people eating-they always have the most unique advertising in Asia (or any Asian company in general)
Old April 7th, 2010, 06:32 AM   #2950
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
At least the MTR trains are spared from wrap advertising at least on the outside. There were only a few exceptions though!

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #2951
Blackraven

Likes (Received): 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeror View Post

I agree that the 20 beeps are annoying. I suggest they just keep the 20 beeps but get rid of the announcement in words - "Please stand back from the doors". The beeps are enough to warn the people the doors are closing.
Hmm.......you seem to be referring to the Airport Express trains. From what I recall, there are the 20 beeps......then it's around 5 seconds (on-average) then the doors close.

In normal trains, it's mostly follows this:
1) Zheng bat kaw kun che mun
2) Qing bu yao kaw kin che men
3) Please stand back from the doors

then 20 beeps

then door closure

Personally, I prefer more announcements and stuff then beeps before the door closure. Hence I like it the way it is now hehe

P.S.
Btw, when an Airport Express train arrives at a station, how long is the average time duration from when the train doors open.....up to the warning buzzer then door closure?
Blackraven no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 04:55 AM   #2952
Martini87

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:

I was just wondering...isn't it possible for East Rail users to change to West Rail at Hung Hom and to Tung Chung line at Nam Cheong heading for Hong Kong station? At least for people going to Central this is a decent alternative, I guess, due to the cross-platform transfers (I love them!), and you avoid taking both Tsuen Wan and Kwun Tong line (and they don't need any more riders, heheh)
Martini87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 05:26 AM   #2953
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini87 View Post
I was just wondering...isn't it possible for East Rail users to change to West Rail at Hung Hom and to Tung Chung line at Nam Cheong heading for Hong Kong station? At least for people going to Central this is a decent alternative, I guess, due to the cross-platform transfers (I love them!), and you avoid taking both Tsuen Wan and Kwun Tong line (and they don't need any more riders, heheh)
Its your choice man. I tried other alternatives getting from point A to point B. Nothing will go wrong to your ticket.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!

Last edited by Manila-X; April 8th, 2010 at 05:32 AM.
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #2954
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini87 View Post
Probably faster to do the Kowloon Tong connection. It's a few more stops along the line to do Nam Cheong, and Tung Chung Line trains don't come as frequently.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 11:21 PM   #2955
StanleyJ

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Probably faster to do the Kowloon Tong connection. It's a few more stops along the line to do Nam Cheong, and Tung Chung Line trains don't come as frequently.
Having actually done the route, it is actually quickest from the East Rail line to switch to West Rail and then to Tung Chung Line at Nam Cheong if and only if you are going to Hong Kong... trains are timed as such that a Tung Chung line train arrives about 3 minutes after the West Rail one.

Island Line, it's quickest to switch at East-TST or Kowloon Tong depending which side of the Fortress Hill/North Point pair you are going...
StanleyJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 06:36 AM   #2956
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/choucho...th/4506751060/
Old April 11th, 2010, 06:48 AM   #2957
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanleyJ View Post
Having actually done the route, it is actually quickest from the East Rail line to switch to West Rail and then to Tung Chung Line at Nam Cheong if and only if you are going to Hong Kong... trains are timed as such that a Tung Chung line train arrives about 3 minutes after the West Rail one.

Island Line, it's quickest to switch at East-TST or Kowloon Tong depending which side of the Fortress Hill/North Point pair you are going...
Last night when I got off at Nam Cheong West Rail, the next Tung Chung Line train for Hong Kong was scheduled to arrive in 9 minutes.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old April 11th, 2010, 11:22 AM   #2958
StanleyJ

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Last night when I got off at Nam Cheong West Rail, the next Tung Chung Line train for Hong Kong was scheduled to arrive in 9 minutes.
You would have just missed one then (plus headway is 8 minutes, so there "should" have been one 1 minute away...) and can blame that on the West Rail one leaving late, which usually is because of the idiots that insist on running through the doors making it late. But idiots aside, it generally works.

PS: Also the times given on the MTR site is worse case interchanges at Hung Hom and Nam Cheong respectively... and even then changing at those places rather than Hung Hom/E-TST/Central, where the tunnel sections of the latter two take 5 minutes a piece even when walking fast (and no one blocking the moving walkways... AARGH).
StanleyJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #2959
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
You would have just missed one then (plus headway is 8 minutes, so there "should" have been one 1 minute away...) and can blame that on the West Rail one leaving late, which usually is because of the idiots that insist on running through the doors making it late. But idiots aside, it generally works.

PS: Also the times given on the MTR site is worse case interchanges at Hung Hom and Nam Cheong respectively... and even then changing at those places rather than Hung Hom/E-TST/Central, where the tunnel sections of the latter two take 5 minutes a piece even when walking fast (and no one blocking the moving walkways... AARGH).
The headway during non-peak is up to 10 minutes :
http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/service_hours.html

Old April 13th, 2010, 07:19 AM   #2960
allurban
All Urban

Quote:

how far / how long is the walk between Austin & Kowloon station?

Cheers, m

e. [email protected]

Tags
hongkong, metro