daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 13th, 2010, 10:08 AM   #2961
StanleyJ

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by allurban View Post
how far / how long is the walk between Austin & Kowloon station?

Cheers, m
At least 15 (yes fifteen) minutes going up out of one station and down into the other.

And even once they put the HK-side HSR terminus in between the two stations, the interchange distances between Kowloon-AEL<->W-Kowloon-HSR<->Austin are at least as large (if anything slightly larger) as those between Central<->Hong Kong or TST<->East-TST.

Stupid, stupid & stupid. 63 billion HK dollars. Gaaaaah.
StanleyJ no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2010, 03:55 AM   #2962
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

So the HSR is centrally located in between two MTR stations, how stupid is that?? Putting it in Kam Sheung Road isn't any smarter.

OK, it takes 15 minutes to walk today because of the grade differences.
But you save 5 minutes when it's on the same level, and sure there will be APM like between Central and Hong Kong, and shorten the journey within 10 minutes.
So what's the big deal?
Old April 14th, 2010, 10:44 AM   #2963
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
So the HSR is centrally located in between two MTR stations, how stupid is that?? Putting it in Kam Sheung Road isn't any smarter.

But you save 5 minutes when it's on the same level, and sure there will be APM like between Central and Hong Kong, and shorten the journey within 10 minutes.
So what's the big deal?
15 minutes walk is not a problem for many people and if they have an APM or minibus link, so much the better.

I did hear about a plan for a people mover in west kowloon, but didnt realize that there's also a plan for an APM between Central & Hong Kong stations.

How far ahead is the planning for West Kowloon Cultural District?

Cheers, m

w. http://transitmy.org
e. [email protected]
tw. http://twitter.com/transitmy
Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/TRANSI...12392362108880
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2010, 05:55 PM   #2964
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by allurban View Post
15 minutes walk is not a problem for many people and if they have an APM or minibus link, so much the better.

I did hear about a plan for a people mover in west kowloon, but didnt realize that there's also a plan for an APM between Central & Hong Kong stations.

How far ahead is the planning for West Kowloon Cultural District?

Cheers, m
The APM I referred too isn't the train one, but the escalator-style.
Old April 19th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #2965
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Protesters seek changes to transport-fare formula
19 April 2010
SCMP

A fare adjustment formula that led to a decision to raise MTR fares should be revised, concern groups say.

The MTR Corporation's impending fare rises - by an average 2.05 per cent in June - prompted four community groups to protest yesterday.

They said the formula should take into account income changes in different sectors, especially low-income earners.

"The fare adjustment mechanism takes only the costs of the transport companies into account, but neglects the incomes of the public," Chan Yu-cheung of the Community Development Alliance said.

The legally binding formula is based on two factors in general - the consumer price index and transport wages. A rise of at least 1.5 per cent against the previous calculation outcome will trigger an increase.

Chan said: "The authorities say transport workers' incomes have `increased', but the calculation is based on nominal income, not real income ... which has decreased. So, the formula could have overestimated.

"Despite a rise in the consumer price index, the incomes of many workers, such as cleaners and security guards, do not go up proportionally. So an MTR fare increase can burden them further."

The groups urged the government to expand a transport subsidy scheme to help low-income earners.

"Transport costs can take up one-sixth of a cleaner's income," Chan said. "The government should make the subsidy scheme a long-term measure and expand the coverage to all 18 districts."

The scheme requires an applicant to earn HK$6,500 or less. Recipients get HK$600 a month for six months and cannot extend the subsidy beyond a year.

The scheme started in 2007 and covers only Yuen Long, Tuen Mun and the North and Islands districts.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2010, 09:53 AM   #2966
hkskyline
Hong Kong

MTR fare rise last straw, residents tell Legco
24 April 2010
South China Morning Post

Tung Chung residents, angry at planned MTR fare rises and their exclusion from a fare subsidy, took their grievances to the Legislative Council yesterday. The lack of free feeder bus services, combined with the distance to the city, put a huge financial burden on residents of public housing estates, they said.

A spokesman for the group Tung Chung Livelihood Monitor, Islands district councillor Tang Ka-piu, spelled out their concerns at Legco. Tuen Mun and Tin Shui Wai residents enjoyed discounts through a HK$470 monthly pass, but Tung Chung residents had no such privilege, Tang said.

"The monthly pass is not available to us," he said. "We don't know why. While residents from other districts enjoy free feeder bus services that take passengers from their homes to the stations, Yat Tung Estate residents need to pay HK$3.10 or HK$2.10 using the Octopus card for a feeder journey."

Tang accused the MTR Corp of depriving residents of affordable transport. "The Social Welfare Department announced in March that Yat Tung Estate has the fourth highest rate of dole recipients in the city," he said. "The fare rise will be the last straw, destroying the livelihood of residents."

A trip from Tung Chung to Hung Hom using an Octopus card is HK$18.20, including the feeder bus. If a Tuen Mun or Tin Shui Wai resident works 22 days in a month and uses the HK$470 pass, each journey costs only HK$10.70

The MTR Corp will increase fares by an average 2 per cent in June, though some could rise as much as 5 per cent.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old April 28th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #2967
maldini

Likes (Received): 75

Have they added elevators to those older stations, like from Kwun Tong to Central stations?
maldini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #2968
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldini View Post
Have they added elevators to those older stations, like from Kwun Tong to Central stations?
I see many older stations have new lifts, although don't have an exact inventory of which stations and how many.

Old May 2nd, 2010, 05:11 PM   #2969
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Arriving at Hong Kong, and one thing I haven't gotten used to (well I haven't been used to many things, but this one tops my list), was the relatively huge platform gap and step entry. My luggage wheel got stuck on the Airport Express =(
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:25 AM   #2970
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8818

Does anyone mind me adding a few (really bad) photos of the MTR system that I took while I was in Hong Kong? I'm sorry that most of the pictures aren't very straight.

Airport Express at HK International

On board the airport express

MTR Map

Hong Kong Station

Tung Chung Station

Jordan MTR station

Typical MTR train on the Tsuen Wan line

Tai Wai station (former KCR)

Former KCR trains on the Ma On Shan line.

Interior of former KCR train.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:33 PM   #2971
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Snackers, picnickers thumb nose at MTR rule, leave mess behind
18 May 2010
South China Morning Post

What kind of rubbish would you expect to find on the MTR?

Food, packaged or half consumed? Bingo, though that is not the worst of it (see below for something else that will likely kill your appetite).

While eating or drinking after passing through the turnstile violates the MTR's by-laws, such behaviour is getting more common.

Nearly 2,400 commuters were given warning letters for such breaches in the first three months of this year - a jump of 15.7 per cent from a year earlier and four times the figure for the same period in 2008.

Not all who break the rule are office workers or schoolchildren who steal a bite of breakfast on the train. Some riders treat the carriage as a picnic area, sitting on the floor and sharing noodles, snacks or fishballs. MTR head of operations Choi Tak-tsan said the rail operator would launch a campaign in the next two weeks to educate commuters. Patrols would be stepped up at stations on lines where the problem was serious.

Choi said, "I understand Hong Kong people have a very busy schedule, but breaching the rule could lead to prosecution and a maximum fine of HK$2,000." More than 10 people were prosecuted last year after they refused to stop eating despite warnings from MTR staff.

A station officer who asked not to be named said lychees were the latest seasonal favourite.

"Cleaners have found a lot of lychee peels under the seats lately. It's the fruit of the season, and many visitors from the north bring a few packs and eat them on the train."

But food and its leftovers are not the worst thing MTR staff have had to deal with.

"We once even found a bag of human faeces on the train, after passengers complained of the smell," the officer said.

Old May 20th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #2972
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Snackers, picnickers thumb nose at MTR rule, leave mess behind
18 May 2010
South China Morning Post

But food and its leftovers are not the worst thing MTR staff have had to deal with.

"We once even found a bag of human faeces on the train, after passengers complained of the smell," the officer said.
Starting to sound like NYC! (Hope it doesn't continue though)
Old May 21st, 2010, 07:15 AM   #2973
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
Starting to sound like NYC! (Hope it doesn't continue though)
What's next? Apply Singapore style laws on The MTR?

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:02 AM   #2974
hkskyline
Hong Kong

I've never seen people eating so openly though.

Old May 24th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #2975
honwai1983

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post

So what's the big deal?
I think it is Okay to have a small stop (two plaform with two fast through line)
in Kam Shui Road in HSR system.

But place HSR Terminus in Kam Shui Road is very stupid!!
It located far away in city center (more than 10KM), no commercial and heavy infrastructure support, the most important is more inconvinence than kowloon interchange. Kam shui Road stands near mainland China (about 15Km)~~ Why don't use HSR in Futian Station when you live in NT?

According to experience from other countries, HSR market is commercial ppl and traveller from other places than local ppl travelling.

Please go to school and study more city planning!
honwai1983 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 05:44 AM   #2976
Shezan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 593

HK Airport Exp train is just awesome...is it departing from Hong Kong MTR Station, right?
Shezan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 07:56 AM   #2977
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8818

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shezan View Post
HK Airport Exp train is just awesome...is it departing from Hong Kong MTR Station, right?
Yes.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #2978
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

I have never seen anyone eating in a MTR train before. I have also never seen a single piece of garbage in any train.
Old May 26th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #2979
ddes

Likes (Received): 934

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean View Post
I have never seen anyone eating in a MTR train before. I have also never seen a single piece of garbage in any train.
I've seen dustballs doing casual strolls in the train. Does that count?
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #2980
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
I've seen dustballs doing casual strolls in the train. Does that count?
A dustball is not food. It's not a piece of garbage discarded by accident or on purpose either.

Tags
hongkong, metro