daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 27th, 2010, 04:12 AM   #2981
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Talk about sense of humour bypass.
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #2982
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18177

Fare hikes spawn protests at MTR stations
The Standard
Monday, June 14, 2010

About 100 protesters rallied at MTR stations yesterday on the first day yesterday of 2 percent fare hikes.

Ninety percent of passengers have to pay between 10 and 70 cents more per journey.

The Federation of Trade Unions staged the protests at seven stations to urge MTR Corp to cancel the increases, as well as the 10 HK cents it is charging per trip for installing platform screen doors, as not all stations have them.

At Tai Wai station, FTU lawmaker Ip Wai-ming criticized the MTRC for raising fares despite reaping HK$9.6 billion in profit last year.

"The MTRC has not improved services despite higher charges," Ip said, noting that 100 routes are now more expensive for Octopus card users.

"Technical problems are not an acceptable explanation for these irregularities in Octopus charges," said Ip, who called on the Legislative Council and Executive Council to review the fare adjustment mechanism.

Notices were put up at ticket-vending machines and customer service centers to notify passengers of the fare hikes and the abnormal charges on Octopus.

A few said the new fares are acceptable because the increments involve such small amounts. But some said they may consider buying single journey tickets or switching to buses altogether.

Chan Pak-hung, 71, said he didn't mind paying extra for traveling from Tai Wai to Jordan to meet friends.

"Since using the Octopus is very convenient, I won't bother changing to single journey tickets as the extra charge is so little. But I feel the company is so mean to passengers," he said.

An MTRC spokeswoman said it is collecting 10 cents per journey from Octopus cardholders from 2000 until 2017 for retrofitting platform screen doors.

The project costs HK$2 billion, which was not covered in the original investment plan of the urban lines of MTR. Lawmakers then decided that half of the project's cost should be shared by passengers. By the end of last year, HK$730 million had been collected.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 04:55 AM   #2983
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Sigh... HKers are too spoiled in good and cheap public transportation service.

The notice I saw in San Francisco last month was 25% hike in fare with service reduction.......
Old June 18th, 2010, 04:15 PM   #2984
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The fares are still cheaper than before the MTR-KCR merger.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old June 18th, 2010, 06:41 PM   #2985
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Max fare increase of 70 cents per journey (10 cents USD)...

Good grief... and the time of these protestors is not worth money?
Old June 21st, 2010, 10:42 AM   #2986
TeriyakiJack

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybean View Post
Max fare increase of 70 cents per journey (10 cents USD)...

Good grief... and the time of these protestors is not worth money?
I guess you have to chalk it up to, arguing for the principle of the matter and not the amount itself.

But yes, the increase seems muniscule in comparison to other fare-hikes (especially those seen in Vancouver where the transit system is consistently in the red)
TeriyakiJack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 11:42 AM   #2987
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriyakiJack View Post
But yes, the increase seems muniscule in comparison to other fare-hikes (especially those seen in Vancouver where the transit system is consistently in the red)
At least we haven't been doing any fare hikes yet. I feel really bad for some of the fellow American Systems, like San Francisco, with a hike and a service reduction.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:38 AM   #2988
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
At least we haven't been doing any fare hikes yet. I feel really bad for some of the fellow American Systems, like San Francisco, with a hike and a service reduction.
Well we get used to it...and lament it because we realize we will never see the fare hike or service reduction reversed.
Old June 27th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #2989
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By 林峯~_☆_ from a Hong Kong bus forum :

Old June 29th, 2010, 05:13 AM   #2990
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
By 林峯~_☆_ from a Hong Kong bus forum :

The new LRV stock looks so much better except for the outer design.

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2010, 03:54 PM   #2991
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The new livery is slowly being implemented in the bus fleet as well.

Old July 5th, 2010, 06:17 PM   #2992
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Users of online map want their MTR exits back
5 July 2010
South China Morning Post

Over the past few months, locals and tourists have lamented the loss of a key tool in their struggle to navigate the concrete jungle: MTR exit markers on Google Maps.

The mapping application is ubiquitous in the city's increasingly smartphone-reliant culture, as it is pre-installed on many of the world's most popular handheld devices. And for riders on the MTR, the display of station exits provided a time-saving method of navigation on their way from the trains to the streets.

In April, those handy dots literally dropped off the map.

"Hong Kong streets can be very confusing if you aren't familiar with the area, and having the exits on Google Maps was essential for quickly finding where you needed to go!" user SJEM wrote in a Google discussion about the exits' disappearance. "BRING THE EXITS BACK!!!" pleaded user maestroch.

User syls said, "I would say more than 90% of the people who use goole [sic] map for Hong Kong would use the information of MTR exits."

In late May, a Google employee named Amanda L. replied: "Hi all - Thanks for your reports on this. I've escalated to our engineering team, and they are looking into it. I do not have an ETA [estimated time of arrival] for a fix, but please know that we understand the importance and are working on a solution."

Two weeks went by, and there was another missive from Amanda L.

"Hi all. Don't worry, I haven't forgotten about you! I've been tracking this bug internally and I'm happy to report that the team has made some progress in resolving it. However, with a product as large and complex as Google Maps, there are often bugs that take a bit more time to fix - unfortunately, this is one of them. While the team has identified the problem, it may be another few weeks before the fix is fully implemented, tested, and released," she wrote.

"Please know that the team is taking this very seriously (many of them rely on the same exit data!) and are doing all they can to fix the issue as soon as possible."

Google did not respond to questions about the source of the bug or the timing of the fix.

Meanwhile, there is always Centamap.com, managed by the Lands Department. Its digital maps provide street names, street numbers - and MTR station exit locations.

Old July 7th, 2010, 04:48 AM   #2993
sterlinglush

Likes (Received): 5

Thanks for posting the article about the missing exits on Google Maps. I had noticed that, and was annoyed by it, but I hadn't thought to investigate. Good information to have.
sterlinglush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2010, 04:56 AM   #2994
deasine
=)

It was miserable to find information when I was in HK without those google maps exits. I thought they just removed it because people thought it was too cluttered, but good to know they are changing it back.
Old July 7th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #2995
hkskyline
Hong Kong

You can still use Centamap to find the exit labels.

Old July 7th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #2996
deasine
=)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
You can still use Centamap to find the exit labels.
To be honest, I didn't know about it until it was mentioned in the article. What I did was StreetViewed the area to see where there exits were =P
Old July 17th, 2010, 04:55 AM   #2997
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Just happened to see these on youtube, starts off with Melbourne, but ends with story from Hong Kong

Old July 31st, 2010, 10:45 PM   #2998
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Octopus chief facing exit as MTRC meets
The Standard
Friday, July 30, 2010

The fate of Octopus Cards chief executive Prudence Chan Pik-wah is in the balance as its major stakeholder, MTR Corporation, holds a special board meeting today to discuss the selling of cardholders' data to merchants.

Issues that board members will discuss are expected to include whether MTR should impose a more direct control over the operations of Octopus Holdings. MTR is not directly involved in Octopus' operation, although it has representation on its board.

The Octopus scandal has escalated with Chan accused of lying about how the company had handled personal data of millions of its customers.

The government hardened its rhetoric yesterday, with a spokesman saying an investigation was under way to determine whether Chan had broken any rules. The spokesman stressed that the government was concerned about how Octopus was governed.

Meanwhile, the Confederation of Trade Unions provided another account of what they said breached privacy by the company. It said three days ago, a former employee of the marketing research company Cimigo told the group that Octopus was profiting from questionnaires sent to cardholders. The confederation's Judy Ng Wai-ling said the former staffer, who worked at Cimigo from 2006 to 2009, had handled at least one million questionnaires to be sent through Octopus.

The surveys on lifestyle and habits were sent to cardholders via e-mail.

Octopus would charge the company for every survey sent, completed or not, and pass the data collected to Cimigo, all this without clients' consent, Ng said.

For each completed questionnaire, Octopus would make HK$10 or more. The confederation's general secretary, legislator Lee Cheuk-yan, called Octupus' profit-making "unethical" and called for making the act a criminal offense as a deterrent.

Lee, who has filed the complaint to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner for Personal Data, urged the government and MTR to intervene and have Octupus disclose the number of companies to whom data has been sold and the amount of the transactions.

In a statement issued last night, Cimigo said all kinds of market research activities conducted are within the law and in compliance with international standards. The company stressed clients participated in the survey voluntarily.

Octopus last night confirmed that it had worked with Cimigo in carrying out electronic and telephone surveys but the contract had already ended. It said its records show about 30,000 customer records had been provided to Cimigo.

It earlier revealed to the privacy commissioner that it provided personal data to six merchant partners.

Apart from Cimigo and two firms named earlier, Octopus said the others were researcher TNS, distributor Magazines International and AIA/AIU.

Old August 4th, 2010, 09:06 AM   #2999
deasine
=)

Quote:
港鐵算死草拆椅改企位
[本報訊] 港鐵今年六月平均加價百分之二點○五,令每年收入增加逾二億元。乘客多付了車資,但所得服務水平卻未見相應提升,本報發現港鐵有列車車廂的部分座位被拆去,增加企位數目。有立法會議員批評港鐵「見錢開眼」,為求增加載客量而剝削乘客的權利;有關注團體指,港鐵應增加班次以滿足乘客需求,而不是隨便削減座位數目。

裝小斜板 半企半坐
港鐵最近將部分車廂內的座位整列拆去,然後在車廂牆身加裝一塊六、七呎長的金屬斜板,可供約三至四名乘客將臀部靠着小斜板,半站半坐地乘車,設計類似外國廉價航空採用的「站座」(vertical seat)。有關安排可增加企位的空間,讓更多乘客可擠進車廂內,每趟車因此可運載更多乘客。

立法會交通事務委員會成員王國興批評,港鐵拆走座位,簡直是「見錢開眼」,漠視乘客的座位需要,強迫他們進一步變成「沙甸魚」。他指,港鐵如果發現列車載客量不足,應嘗試增加班次或增加車卡數目,而不是剝奪乘客的權利。乘客林先生則不滿,減少座位對孕婦及長者帶來不便。

民間監管公共事業聯委會發言人蔡耀昌則指,港鐵事前應先諮詢乘客,是否希望減少座位以增加企位,否則應增加班次以解決載客量不足的問題。

港鐵回應指,○八年開始在港島線列車進行試驗,增設多用途空間,包括在車廂內增設欄杆,方便乘客。發言人續指,試驗計劃並於去年擴展至荃灣線、觀塘線及將軍澳線列車,預計今年底完成試驗。
(Oriental Daily, 2010)
Old August 5th, 2010, 03:24 AM   #3000
littlearea

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by deasine View Post
The same thing happen in Singapore C151 train.
littlearea no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hongkong, metro