daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 5th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #3001
bukhrin

Likes (Received): 133

What's it about ? Anyone care to share ?

Thanks
bukhrin no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 5th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #3002
ddes

Likes (Received): 929

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukhrin View Post
What's it about ? Anyone care to share ?

Thanks
Basically, as a move to increase train carrying capacity, MTR, like what Singapore has done, has removed an entire row of seats and replaced them with perched seats as seen in the picture.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2010, 05:54 AM   #3003
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddes View Post
Basically, as a move to increase train carrying capacity, MTR, like what Singapore has done, has removed an entire row of seats and replaced them with perched seats as seen in the picture.
And politicians are yelling at the MTR for not increasing train service frequency, or increase the number of carriage per train before taking seats away; and they claim the MTR is doing this for increasing profit.
Old August 7th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #3004
raymond_tung88

Likes (Received): 14

Could someone please post a photo of the flashing in-train system map that the MTR uses. I've been looking for one online but haven't been able to find out that is of good quality and recent.
raymond_tung88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2010, 04:44 PM   #3005
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Likes (Received): 16

港鐵沙田站 7000萬元翻新
【本報訊】兩鐵合併後,港鐵正逐步為原屬九廣鐵路的東鐵線車站「整容」,其中沙田站將耗資 7,000萬元翻新,出入口會以樹木圖案裝飾,站內照明及洗手間等設施都會改善,預計 2012年完成。港鐵公司總建築師楊思偉表示,東鐵沿線車站將以融入大自然作主題,逐步翻新。沙田車站的工程已展開,出入口牆身會以樹木圖案裝飾,車站大堂會加裝木色假天花,牆身則採用石磚砌成。

擴大洗手間
站內設施也會改善,包括加強照明、擴大洗手間等。翻新後,站內商舖數目不會增加。工程耗資 7,000萬元,預計 2012年首季完成。楊思偉表示,東鐵另有兩個車站較早前已開始翻新,其中大埔墟站的工程已完成。旺角東站的翻新工程仍在進行中,包括海水波浪型的假天花裝飾,並會懸掛一組名為「蝌蚪機群」的藝術雕塑,雕塑是六個以東鐵列車外形為設計概念的巨型蝌蚪。預計旺角東站的翻新工程今年第四季完成。港鐵的顧問仍在研究其餘車站的翻新工程設計,暫未定出下一步計劃。
Old August 20th, 2010, 05:16 AM   #3006
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

About damn time. Looking forward to the renovation of all ERL stations.
Old August 20th, 2010, 06:34 AM   #3007
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8810

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymond_tung88 View Post
Could someone please post a photo of the flashing in-train system map that the MTR uses. I've been looking for one online but haven't been able to find out that is of good quality and recent.
Not sure if you'd call this good quality or not. It wasn't particularly easy to photograph for me, but it's the best I could do!

Hope that helps!
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 09:09 AM   #3008
maldini

Likes (Received): 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchan7 View Post
About damn time. Looking forward to the renovation of all ERL stations.
Have the added screen doors, elevators and wash rooms to all railway stations?
maldini no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 09:12 AM   #3009
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18177

Quote:
Originally Posted by maldini View Post
Have the added screen doors, elevators and wash rooms to all railway stations?
No PSD's along the East Rail Line. I don't think there are any now that the terminus moved to Hung Hom again.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 10:23 AM   #3010
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
No PSD's along the East Rail Line. I don't think there are any now that the terminus moved to Hung Hom again.
Wouldn't PSDs make it slightly unsafe for the East Rail? Many of the stations have a curve, making this huge gap between the train and the platform. Having PSDs would probably obstruct this view more, making it a potential safety hazard.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 06:44 PM   #3011
dale88

Likes (Received): 9

This is not a problem, just look at New York (one of the few times New York is a good example) on line 1 or line 6.

On line 1 there is a sort of rectractable platform on the very tight curve at south ferry that extend to reach the train and fill the gap.

Same for line 6 at another station, I don't remember which one, its been almost 4 years since I last went to NY.
dale88 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2010, 11:37 PM   #3012
geoking66

Likes (Received): 7298

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale88 View Post
This is not a problem, just look at New York (one of the few times New York is a good example) on line 1 or line 6.

On line 1 there is a sort of rectractable platform on the very tight curve at south ferry that extend to reach the train and fill the gap.

Same for line 6 at another station, I don't remember which one, its been almost 4 years since I last went to NY.
The old South Ferry station (with the giant gap) was recently replaced, and Union Square on the 4, 5, and 6 has gap fillers.

The light diagram, as useful as it is, must be a pain to update whenever service changes or new stations are added. If NYC got anything right, it was FIND.
Old August 24th, 2010, 08:21 PM   #3013
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
The light diagram, as useful as it is, must be a pain to update whenever service changes or new stations are added. If NYC got anything right, it was FIND.
Absolutely- the strip line diagram was definitely a major advance when they were first introduced on the IRT lines, but what ended up happening a lot was the 5 trains were used on the 2 lines, creating confusion amongst riders. (There was a small message that was lit when this happened though - "ROUTE CHANGE: This map not in use."

FIND should definitely be adopted, even by MTR, when their system grows so much that they can no longer fit the system into a geographically accurate display in trains.

The only problem with FIND is that sometimes NYC's subway conductors are not trained to use it properly.
Old August 25th, 2010, 06:19 AM   #3014
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
Absolutely- the strip line diagram was definitely a major advance when they were first introduced on the IRT lines, but what ended up happening a lot was the 5 trains were used on the 2 lines, creating confusion amongst riders. (There was a small message that was lit when this happened though - "ROUTE CHANGE: This map not in use."

FIND should definitely be adopted, even by MTR, when their system grows so much that they can no longer fit the system into a geographically accurate display in trains.

The only problem with FIND is that sometimes NYC's subway conductors are not trained to use it properly.
... or when it just freezes 10% of the time.
Old August 25th, 2010, 06:26 AM   #3015
EricIsHim

Quote:

The only problem with NYC subway display is it doesn't show the correct travel direction in one of the two bounds. The display goes against the travel direction of the train which confuses a lot of people, even if there is an arrow on the top corner. But I suspect the next generation can all be LED display, so that the direction of travel can be switched.
Old August 25th, 2010, 07:21 AM   #3016
deasine
=)

Likes (Received): 57

What FIND can do a LCD Display can do no problem. What should be implemented on future systems are what the Japanese is beginning to do with most of their heavy rail lines. You can have three widescreen LCD displays displaying (from left to right):
  1. Overall System Information:
    Displays system map, location of the line and train in relation to other system routes, and system updates, disruptions, and delays
  2. Specific Route Information:
    Displays route map, connection stations, and the estimated arrival time it is expected to take to get to one station from where the train is, along with specific route updates and delays (such as elevator out-of-service updates, service disruptions, etc.)
  3. Next Station Information:
    Displays the layout of the platform of the next station, lists potential connections to other lines and bus services, which side the train doors will open, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quashlo View Post
LCD and automatic / voice announcements on a train between Shin-Narashino and Minami-Funabashi.

Source: vvvflove on YouTube
First posted by Quashlo on the Japanese Urban Transport Compilation Forum.

Last edited by deasine; August 25th, 2010 at 07:28 AM.
deasine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #3017
Kaitak747
EiGhT 5 & tWo

Likes (Received): 16

未來十年香港鐵路網絡仍會繼續伸延

世 紀 藍 圖 - 鐵 網 之 都 Part 1 of 2

世 紀 藍 圖 - 鐵 網 之 都 Part 2 of 2
Old August 29th, 2010, 07:11 PM   #3018
EricIsHim

People are quick to put the documentary on YouTube~
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:38 PM   #3019
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
People are quick to put the documentary on YouTube~
If only they would let me do some basic translation to add as annotations.
Old August 30th, 2010, 11:27 PM   #3020
EricIsHim

Quote:
If only they would let me do some basic translation to add as annotations.
I am sure RTHK will make an English version of the series, but you just have to wait for a little bit.

Tags
hongkong, metro