daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 8th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #3281
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Railer View Post
exactly; besides, the current 12 car sets are jam packed during rush hour.
I agree, but if you can't beat them, join them. Maybe open up HK Post offices along major ERL stations.

The whole point of these couriers is that they are point to point and frequent.
Even though the MTR is a company created to provide transport, housing revenue does contribute to the bottom line, so why not create an extra source of revenue?

With the impending opening of the CRH XRL, you will see the same being replicated.

Banning such practices only makes it worse.

Sponsored Links
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #3282
chornedsnorkack

Likes (Received): 388

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
No. East Rail is not meant to be a cross-border freight line. Its primary purpose is commuter rail, and all the available space needs to be for commuters, not baggage.
Then where do actual freight trains run from mainland China to Victoria Harbour?
chornedsnorkack no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #3283
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18177

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_t View Post
I agree, but if you can't beat them, join them. Maybe open up HK Post offices along major ERL stations.

The whole point of these couriers is that they are point to point and frequent.
Even though the MTR is a company created to provide transport, housing revenue does contribute to the bottom line, so why not create an extra source of revenue?

With the impending opening of the CRH XRL, you will see the same being replicated.

Banning such practices only makes it worse.
The line's capacity is limited. Trains run every few minutes already and there is simply not enough room to add freight service. Besides, if a premium is charge for freight-only, then these people will just shift to buses to cross the border. No point investing billions to add a set of tracks for this.

Putting on weight restrictions has significantly reduced the amount of large cargoes being brought onto trains. The restrictions are more rigorously enforced at stations near the border, and we have seen some of these cargo hoarders shift further south into the city, but I think the problem now is a lot less irritating than 6 months ago.

The best extra source of revenue for the MTR is property development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chornedsnorkack View Post
Then where do actual freight trains run from mainland China to Victoria Harbour?
Imports from China tend to reach Hong Kong by truck. This is especially the case for fruits, vegetables, and meat, where they are subject to sample checks for banned substances at the border.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 04:29 AM   #3284
Northridge

Likes (Received): 72

I believe this video shows the problem and the line?
Skip to 4:00 to see what it's like on the platform and train., but I would recommend to watch the whole thing

Last edited by Northridge; February 9th, 2013 at 04:38 AM.
Northridge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 05:18 AM   #3285
saiho

Likes (Received): 1293

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
Fury as curbs hit delivery workers
The Standard
Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Anger erupted along the East Rail Line yesterday as the MTR tightened luggage restrictions to curb parallel traders.

The new maximum limit of 23 kilograms - down from 33kg - not only affected traders but caused bona fide delivery men and couriers as well as traveling families to lose their tempers.

In Fo Tan, where factories and depots are concentrated, a worker delivering computer parts to Yuen Long and Tuen Mun was stopped at the station entrance as her package weighed 27kg.

The worker said she has been doing similar deliveries almost every day and the new luggage restriction is creating problems for her and other delivery workers.

"I'm not a parallel trader so why do they do this to me?" she asked.

Despite a heated exchange with an MTR staff member, she had no choice but to leave the station and take a taxi.

Shortly after, a document courier was barred from entering after his bags weighed 26kg. He said: "My income will drop since the more documents I deliver, the more I can earn."

Another woman traveling to Shanwei to stay with her family for the holiday was also stopped after her luggage - clothes, candies, shampoo and chocolates - was 2kg above the limit.

Similar scenes were reported in the five other stations equipped with scales on the East Rail Line.

But an MTR Corp spokeswoman said the stations operated smoothly on the first day of the new luggage restrictions.

"Passengers were cooperative and the company has not received any complaint so far," she said.

The measure will be implemented on a trial basis for three months and the company will review the situation from time to time, the spokeswoman added.
I think they should only restrict luggage at rush hours. Trains are not as full during off-peak times. Sapporo apparently tried to move freight on its subway off peak but don't now how that went.
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2013, 05:44 AM   #3286
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northridge View Post
I believe this video shows the problem and the line?
Skip to 4:00 to see what it's like on the platform and train., but I would recommend to watch the whole thing
Yes, that is exactly what is happening. It's not safe. Even outside rush hours, it's not safe. The trains are still packed well into the night.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old February 15th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #3287
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Thursday, January 31, 2013
Taking MTR to the world
Written by Kevin Smith
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...the-world.html

MTR celebrated the start of operations on Hangzhou Metro Line 1 in November, its seventh project outside of Hong Kong. And as deputy CEO Lincoln Leong explains to Kevin Smith, the company is committed to strengthening its external presence over the next few years.

OPERATIONS outside of Hong Kong are a significant element of MTR Corporation's business strategy. And with the operator exploring further opportunities for overseas growth, MTR's deputy CEO, Mr Lincoln Leong believes this sector will become increasingly important.

Already external business interests account for 8-10% of MTR's overall profits of $HK 4.12bn ($US 531m) according to its financial results for the first half of 2012. However, these ventures were responsible for $HK 6.33bn, or 36.9% of overall revenues.

"In our rail businesses outside of Hong Kong we carry 3.5 million passengers per day," Leong says. "In Hong Kong we carry 5 million passengers. These numbers alone indicate the importance of these ventures."

Hangzhou, China, became the latest city to join MTR's portfolio of ventures outside of Hong Kong when its first metro line, the 48km 31-station Line 1 opened on November 24 2012. The line has been implemented as a PPP project through Hangzhou MTR, a joint venture with Hangzhou Metro Group Company in which MTR holds a 49% stake.

The PPP project mirrors Beijing Metro Line 4, which opened in September 2009. MTR has a 49% stake in Beijing MTR, a three-way joint venture with Beijing Capital Group, which has a 49% share, and Beijing Infrastructure Investment Company which holds 2%. MTR similarly has a 49% stake in a 10-year operate and maintain (O&M) concession for Beijing Metro's Daxing Line which opened in December 2010, while in Shenzhen it is the sole concessionaire in a 30-year agreement for the Longlua Line. This was conducted as a build-operate-transfer (BOT) project and was completed in 2011.

Its latest project, Beijing Line 14, which is again being implemented as a PPP through Beijing MTR after it secured a 30-year O&M contract in November 2012, is set to open an initial 12.7km phase later this year. Leong says MTR is happy with the programme and the model of its PPP ventures and is willing to engage in similar financing structures in mainland China in the future. "Whether it is a PPP or a BOT we are willing to put capital at risk to invest in these cities," he says.

Inroads

While the majority of MTR's external interests are in mainland China, the company has made inroads in Europe and Australia.

In 2007, as part of a 50:50 joint venture with German Rail (DB), MTR secured an O&M concession for the London Overground network, while it won a 100%, seven-year O&M concession for the Stockholm Metro, and secured a 60% stake in an O&M concession for Metro Trains Melbourne (MTM) in 2009.

Leong says these operations are providing MTR with a foothold for further expansion in what he describes as "established markets in Britain, Australia, and Scandinavia."

Britain in particular is a major target for further expansion and the company is currently bidding for the Essex Thameside and Thameslink franchises. However, following the fiasco surrounding the award of the West Coast franchise, bidding for these franchises has been delayed.

"We have submitted our bid for Essex Thameside and Thameslink, and we are keeping up-to-date with what is going on with regard to the review," Leong says. "Of course there is a bit of uncertainty and we will follow whatever the results of the review are. However, this doesn't really compromise our position and we are enthusiastic to continue to follow opportunities in this market. As for other bids, there is nothing on the radar at the present time, but it is important for us to focus on what we have already identified and the markets that we already know. In all of these markets there are minimal prospects that can be pursued at any one time."

In addition to being a source of profits for MTR, Leong says that its external operations are also increasing global brand awareness as well as benefiting human resources.

He says MTR employees from Hong Kong are working in a variety of positions overseas - from CEOs and CFOs to project and asset management staff. Leong says MTR's objective for these operations is to achieve a "combination of good local talent which is supported by staff from Hong Kong."

And while exporting expertise is aiding these companies, ideas and different ways of working are also flowing back to Hong Kong.

"One example is the use of visualisation by MTM where they are using a prediction model to visualise problems and identify solutions to maintenance issues encountered at depots," Leong says. "We are now in the process of converting this idea and way of working back into our domestic operations."

While profits generated from external ventures are yet to match revenues as a proportion of the company's overall results, exporting MTR's property development business model, a major source of profits in Hong Kong, might be one way of bridging the gap.

Leong says a similar property development project is underway at a station in Shenzhen. And with encouraging early signs, he is optimistic that this model can be replicated elsewhere, thus providing another potential benefit from taking its business beyond Hong Kong.

"Our primary objective is to create value for our shareholders," he says. "If opportunities arise in the markets we are currently operating in to use the know-how we have acquired from our domestic activities, we will certainly do so."

Old February 17th, 2013, 10:51 AM   #3288
browncolour

Likes (Received): 626

The Light Rail track

suburbicide liked this post
browncolour no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:52 AM   #3289
browncolour

Light Rail Station

Old February 17th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #3290
browncolour

inside the train

Quote:
Originally Posted by browncolour View Post
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #3291
browncolour

the car

Old February 17th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #3292
browncolour

train on road

Old February 17th, 2013, 12:08 PM   #3295
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Interesting pics! Are the longerst trains made of just 2 cars?

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 03:57 PM   #3296
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

When I visited Yuen Long, I didn't take the light rail, because I thought the lines were just too confusing. Does anyone know why the line system is so complicated?
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #3297
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
When I visited Yuen Long, I didn't take the light rail, because I thought the lines were just too confusing. Does anyone know why the line system is so complicated?
I caught it with much difficulty too when I was in HK to get to the wetlands - it was not the easiest system to use compared to the clarity of the MTR. I've been on a lot of light rail around the world, and the HK system was definitely one of the more difficult ones to use.
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2013, 04:27 PM   #3298
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Interesting pics! Are the longerst trains made of just 2 cars?
Yes - max 2 cars.

Old February 18th, 2013, 05:21 AM   #3299
xeror

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post
There was a proposal to simplify the lines by the former operator KCRC when the west rail opened. They want passengers travelling a long distance to take the west rail instead. However, the plan was objected by the district council and local residents around these areas simply because it would reduce the number of direct lines between two stops and the passengers would more likely need to transfer at some intermediate stops.
xeror no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2013, 11:19 AM   #3300
Vrooms
threeyearson.

Likes (Received): 1641

MONGKOK STATION
taken by me
image hosted on flickr

Mongkok MTR Station by artifiedme, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr

Mongkok MTR Station by artifiedme, on Flickr
image hosted on flickr