daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 18th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #3381
saiho

Likes (Received): 1297

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
Hmm, I usually hear about train frequencies increasing, but not along with a reduction in capacity per train. Does anyone know off the top of their heads what the theoretical net capacity would be currently and with the new trains during a peak hour? Thanks!
the ERL has a max capacity of 101,000 p/h/d with trains every 3-4 mins. i'm assuming that running trains every 2-3 mins will compensate the loss of 3 cars.

caiocco liked this post
saiho no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 18th, 2013, 06:50 AM   #3382
Scion

Likes (Received): 4648

Passenger numbers on ERL differ greatly between peak and non-peak. It is comfortably roomy during non-peak but insanely overcrowded at peak times. The worst bottleneck Tai Wai - Kowloon Tong will be alleviated by Tai Wai - Diamond Hill, so the future 9 cars will manage quite ok for some time. Not sure how it will cope after NT north east new development gets populated.

caiocco liked this post
Scion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #3383
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

image hosted on flickr

49240026 by ElDER PRINCESS, on Flickr

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

kyah117 liked this post
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 12:50 AM   #3384
caiocco
UFABC User

Likes (Received): 3309

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiho View Post
the ERL has a max capacity of 101,000 p/h/d with trains every 3-4 mins. i'm assuming that running trains every 2-3 mins will compensate the loss of 3 cars.
It's incredible, at least for me. Would you tell me more about the system passengers demand, please? For example, how many people (average) are transported by the ERL everyday (mainly workdays)?

I got interested about the East Rail Line because of its rolling stock and frequency.
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:27 AM   #3385
saiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiocco View Post
It's incredible, at least for me. Would you tell me more about the system passengers demand, please? For example, how many people (average) are transported by the ERL everyday (mainly workdays)?

I got interested about the East Rail Line because of its rolling stock and frequency.
~1 million people use the ERL every day

Source
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:49 AM   #3386
caiocco
UFABC User

Likes (Received): 3309

Quote:
~1 million people use the ERL every day

Source
Thank you very much.
Old August 19th, 2013, 06:03 AM   #3387
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Thanks! Odd-numbered train lengths makes me tho, haha
Old August 19th, 2013, 02:03 PM   #3388
Fan Railer

Likes (Received): 567

Quote:
http://www.mtr-shatincentrallink.hk/en/faq/
Quote:
According to the current planning, the Tai Wai to Hung Hom Section of the SCL is scheduled for completion in 2018, providing a new railway line between the New Territories and urban districts. It is estimated that over 20% of the south-bound passengers from the New Territories will then be diverted to the "East West Corridor" formed by the Tai Wai to Hung Hom Section of the SCL, relieving the congestion of the EAL during peak hours.

The "North South Corridor" formed by the extension of the EAL across the harbour is expected to come into service in 2020. Due to the geographical constraints on Hong Kong Island, the "North South Corridor" will run in 9-car train configuration, instead of 12-car configuration. To increase the carrying capacity, the signalling system of the "North South Corridor" will be enhanced. The service frequency during peak hours will be increased from around 20 trains per hour to around 27 trains per hour. This amounts to 243 cars per hour, offering a carrying capacity similar to the current service level.

Upon the full completion of the SCL, the overall railway carrying capacity between North New Territories/ South New Territories and Kowloon will be significantly increased. The "East West Corridor" will run in 8-car train configuration and provide around 20 trains per hour, offering a maximum carrying capacity of 160 cars per hour. In addition to the 243 cars per hour offered by the "North South Corridor", the carrying capacity will reach 403 cars per hour. All this means a significant increase of 163 cars compared with the 240 cars per hour currently offered by the EAL service.

The current design capacity of the SCL has taken into consideration the increased passenger demand due to the annual 1.5% to 1.8% population growth along the EAL and Ma On Shan Line from 2021, as well as the increase in the number of cross-boundary passengers from the Mainland.
Fan Railer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #3389
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Railer View Post
The current design capacity of the SCL has taken into consideration the increased passenger demand due to the annual 1.5% to 1.8% population growth along the EAL and Ma On Shan Line from 2021, as well as the increase in the number of cross-boundary passengers from the Mainland.
Have they also taken into consideration that the HSR link might take away a lot of cross-boundary passengers? If I lived on Island or in Kowloon I would never take the East Island Line again to get to Shenzhen
Silly_Walks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #3390
xavier114fch

Likes (Received): 22

I am not that optimistic about the capacity of North South Line (NSL) with 9-car formation. Some hard facts here:
  • There is no official news that the first class compartment will be cancelled in 9-car trains. Insider news said that it would remain.
  • Even though there will be a new CBTC-based signalling system installed, intercity trains will still share the tracks. Intercity trains is one of the main cause of delay.
  • There is no indication that the opening of HSR will reduce conventional intercity trains. Moreover, HSR is running in a different course than the conventional Guangshen Line, Though the location of Futien station in Shenzhen is in a more convenient location, Guangzhou South is a different story.
  • The number of stations between Tai Wai and Hung Hom on the East West Line (EWL) is higher than that of NSL (6 vs 3 intermediate stations). There is a greater tendency for people to choose a line with fewer stops, so people will still interchange at Tai Wai for cross harbour trips. I doubt if 20% of the total southbound passengers can be diverted to the EWL.
xavier114fch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 04:16 AM   #3391
silent_dragon
What a wonderful world

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Funny. hehe. Is that something to do with superstitious beliefs? Or a common Chinese tradition?

Got computing brains or extra bucks? Support this Green tech INDIEGOGO Project Paperless Receipts
silent_dragon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2013, 03:37 AM   #3392
saiho

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier114fch View Post
[*]The number of stations between Tai Wai and Hung Hom on the East West Line (EWL) is higher than that of NSL (6 vs 3 intermediate stations). There is a greater tendency for people to choose a line with fewer stops, so people will still interchange at Tai Wai for cross harbour trips. I doubt if 20% of the total southbound passengers can be diverted to the EWL.[/LIST]
Actually its quite possible that 20% of passengers will be diverted by the EWL. Just look at Kowloon Tong, with people transferring from the Kwun Tong line to the ERL and vice versa. The EWL will divert passengers on the southbound North South + Ma On Shan lines transferring eastbound on the Kwun Tong Line and westbound on the Kwun Tong Line to the ERL towards Central (also vice versa in both cases). It's not the though traffic on the ERL will divert to the parallel EWL but the EWL will absorb transfers that will use the ERL had the EWL have not been built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_dragon View Post
Funny. hehe. Is that something to do with superstitious beliefs? Or a common Chinese tradition?
no its just odd numbered MU consists are weird
Old August 22nd, 2013, 10:52 AM   #3393
aznichiro115

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_dragon View Post
Quote:

no its just odd numbered MU consists are weird
Isn't West Rail 7 cars?
aznichiro115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 02:54 AM   #3394
Fan Railer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznichiro115 View Post
Isn't West Rail 7 cars?
I think it's just 9 and 7 that are a bit odd... usually you're dealing with married pairs when talking about MUs, so it's usually 4, 6, 8, or 10.

5 also looks better than 7 or 9 since, well, since it's 5 haha.
Old August 25th, 2013, 02:56 AM   #3395
Fan Railer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier114fch View Post
I am not that optimistic about the capacity of North South Line (NSL) with 9-car formation. Some hard facts here:
  • There is no official news that the first class compartment will be cancelled in 9-car trains. Insider news said that it would remain.
  • Even though there will be a new CBTC-based signalling system installed, intercity trains will still share the tracks. Intercity trains is one of the main cause of delay.
  • There is no indication that the opening of HSR will reduce conventional intercity trains. Moreover, HSR is running in a different course than the conventional Guangshen Line, Though the location of Futien station in Shenzhen is in a more convenient location, Guangzhou South is a different story.
  • The number of stations between Tai Wai and Hung Hom on the East West Line (EWL) is higher than that of NSL (6 vs 3 intermediate stations). There is a greater tendency for people to choose a line with fewer stops, so people will still interchange at Tai Wai for cross harbour trips. I doubt if 20% of the total southbound passengers can be diverted to the EWL.
Only time will tell. If ridership really drops significantly on the IC trains once the HSR link opens, I'm sure that they will start cutting service in that regards. No point to run empty trains; empty trains = lost revenue.
Old August 25th, 2013, 08:05 AM   #3396
hkskyline
Hong Kong

MTR Corp to boost service on four lines
Railway operator will add 124 trips weekly on busiest routes to increase capacity by more than 350,000 and cut waiting times
22 August 2013
South China Morning Post

The MTR Corporation will add 124 train trips every week on four of its main rail lines this year, raising its capacity by more than 350,000 passengers.

The additions will be mainly on the West Rail Line, where 69 train trips a week will be added in the non-peak period on weekday and Saturday nights. The frequency will be increased from one train every six to seven minutes to one every 5½ minutes.

From November, 49 train trips will be added to the Kwun Tong Line, Tsuen Wan Line and Island line on Friday evenings. The MTR Corporation's chief of operations, Adi Lau Tin-shing, said the company would also add a train on the Island line during the morning peak hours from North Point to Sheung Wan, and then from there to Chai Wan.

On the West Rail Line, an extra train will run from Hung Hom to Mei Foo, and then from Tin Shui Wai to Hung Hom.

"We noticed that most people are going to the urban area for work in the morning, and the demand for train services going from Hung Hom to Tuen Mun is very low," Lau said. "But many are taking the West Rail to the urban area from Tin Shui Wai at that time."

He said the addition would reduce West Rail passengers' waiting time by 10 seconds, from three minutes.

He said that together with the increased trips on the East Rail Line and light rail in April, the railway would have added 136 train trips weekly to its system and would be carrying 390,000 more passengers.

He said the Island Line had reached 70 per cent of its capacity in the morning peak hours.

"Running a train every two minute means that when a train leaves, another train starts approaching the platform while you can still see the tail lights of the other train. So what we are trying to do is to improve the passenger flow when they board and alight from a train."

The company had hired 200 more staff in the first half of the year to help passengers, he said.

According to the railway, the heavy-rail network carried 1.43 billion passengers last year, compared with 770 million a decade ago, when the West Rail Line and Ma On Shan Line had not come into service. The number of passengers in 2011 was 1.36 billion.

Lau said the railway would also improve its smartphone application, the Next Train App, next month to include information on the West Rail train service. It now gives users real-time information on the Tung Chung Line and Airport Express.

The MTR Corp would also put up bigger and clearer maps in seven stations - Admiralty, Wan Chai, North Point, Lai King, Tsing Yi, Hung Hom and Nam Cheong - by the end of the year, Lau said.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old August 25th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #3397
_Night City Dream_

Likes (Received): 101789

Could you tell me the dimensions of cars on each line of Hongkong metro?

My Baku / Мой Баку / 我的巴库

_Night City Dream_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #3398
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Night City Dream_ View Post
Could you tell me the dimensions of cars on each line of Hongkong metro?
Nothing on MTR's website, unfortunately, although I see some on Wiki.

Old August 29th, 2013, 05:06 AM   #3399
hkskyline
Hong Kong

New system just the ticket for MTR trips
The Standard
Thursday, August 29, 2013

The magnetic-strip cards used for MTR single journey tickets will be replaced from October by new smart tickets equipped with memory chips.

The Mass Transit Railway Corporation will implement a new HK$200 million ticketing system in less busy stations first while slowly phasing out the 30-year-old magnetic system.

Chief of operations engineering David Leung Chuen-choi said the existing technology has become outdated while smart tickets are increasingly being used worldwide.

"Smart tickets are more reliable and durable than magnetic tickets," he said. Likewise, the new mechanism will give the corporation greater flexibility in offering different products for the convenience of passengers.

"The first product to be introduced is `MTR City Saver' which will be released after the full roll-out of smart tickets," he said.

Under the bulk purchase discount scheme for MTR rides within a pre-designated set of stations in the urban area, passengers can save from 7 percent to 22 percent on typical journeys.

Leung also said old magnetic-strip tickets cannot be inserted into the smart ticket gates but staff do not expect any confusion during the switch as "ambassadors" will be deployed to assist at the stations.

Some 5.1 million passengers travel on the MTR every day. Most pay by Octopus card but around 220,000 use single journey tickets.

The old magnetic-strip tickets are inserted into the turnstile, while users of smart tickets will need to tap the cards on a sensor when entering and insert them at the exit.

Blackraven liked this post
Old September 13th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #3400
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Stations in line for $9b upgrade
13 September 2013
The Standard

MTR Rendering

About 2,300 platform screen doors will be installed at all 21 stations along the East Rail and Ma On Shan lines.

The MTR Corporation said yesterday that up to HK$8 billion will be spent on various East Rail projects by 2020 while about HK$1 billion will go to the Ma On Shan extension to be completed in 2017.

The MTR's general manager for the Sha Tin to Central link, Lee Tze-man, said passengers will not be charged for the work.

``We believe, we understand that our customers do not want to bear the cost. We are now making the internal financial arrangements,'' he said.

Lee said the HK$8 billion will be spent on installing automatic platform gates, platform modification works, the signaling system and new trains.

The Ma On Shan work will entail installing automatic platform gates and extending platforms to accommodate eight-carriage trains, instead of the current four.

Over the past two months, the MTR took advantage of the summer horse- racing off-season to strengthen the Racecourse Station's platforms to prepare them for the installation of automatic gates.

Similar platform modification works at other East Rail stations will start in November.

Lee said that as MTR does not want to interrupt normal services, it will carry out the work at night. As some stations are about 100 years old, the retrofitting of gates _ which can weigh up to 500 kilograms _ is more challenging and complex than on other lines.

He said steel bars and metal brackets have to be installed in some stations to strength the platform structure.

At other stations, the curvature at platforms will have to be adjusted to narrow the gap between the train and the platform.

As most of the East Rail Line and Ma On Shan Line stations are above ground, the MTR will take measures to avoid disturbing residents.

Lee said the MTR construction team has developed a ``mobile sound insulation booth'' to be placed around work sites to reduces noise levels by around 20 decibels.

Blackraven, ArtZ liked this post

Tags
hongkong, metro