daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 28th, 2004, 06:56 AM   #381
ailiton
Toffy

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
Ya like they have to add a new flashing ''light bulb'' for every new station added to the map, connect the existing wires to the new wires connecting to this new bulb, and then programme everything to ensure that these new bulbs flash at the right moment...

Thats messy. Imagine if they really updated the maps using this tedious and complicated procedure, that would be nuts.

But on the plus side the maps are very cool, very fun to watch too. Though sometimes it makes you feel like an idiot cause they use flashing bulbs (moving objects) to show which station the train is at, which direction it is heading and so on when all adults need is just for a LED screen to tell them, next station name and direction of travel.

But anyways it adds a touch of uniqueness to the HK MTR that differentiates it from other subways elsewhere.
No no. There are bulbs everywhere behind the map so they only have to cut a new hole on the map when a new station is built.
ailiton no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2004, 06:59 AM   #382
ailiton
Toffy

The news on the LED screens are updated when a train passes through a certain station (Cheung Sha Wan is one) so I guess updating the electronic map system is just as easy.
Old October 28th, 2004, 07:25 AM   #383
aznichiro115

Likes (Received): 13

yup they planned for it like. like wut ailiton. they have many preplaced lights they switch the boards like a few months before it is opened and they just put a piece of plastic over the part that isn't opened so the night it is opened they just take off that one piece not very hard. simple infact
aznichiro115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 07:40 AM   #384
ailiton
Toffy

Quote:
Wow where you did get that exclusive picture from?

How better and why better?

Do passengers have to transfer trains at Tai wai if they want to go to ETST from Lo Wu for instance? Or will they be two different services, one heading to ETST from Wu Kai Sha and the other to Lo Wu from Wu Kai Sha?
I got the picture from a HK railway discussion board.

Tai Wai is the terminus of the Ma On Shan line so passengers from the Ma On Shan area will have to change train at Tai Wai if they are heading to stations on the East Rail line.

I don't really like this KCR map mainly because of the stupid 90 degrees turn on the Ma On Shan line. Why not make it more "curvy" like those on the MTR map?
Old October 28th, 2004, 07:55 AM   #385
ailiton
Toffy

New next-stop-announcement for Tsim Sha Tsui:

Next station: Tsim Sha Tsui. Interchange station for KCR East Rail.
Old October 28th, 2004, 08:12 AM   #386
ailiton
Toffy

First train departing from ETST:

http://www.ushb.net/news/ets1stdepart.wmv
Old October 28th, 2004, 08:53 AM   #387
natethetransitfreak

anyone have pics of the exterior of TST East Station
natethetransitfreak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2004, 08:54 AM   #388
ailiton
Toffy

I think gakei has some.
Old October 28th, 2004, 06:57 PM   #389
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

Below is a map of the station and the surrounding area from a Hong Kong transport forum. The blue box is the KCR station and the dark pink is the MTR Tsim Sha Tsui station. The walkways are in green and bright red.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 09:27 PM   #390
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By namsanwai from a Hong Kong transport forum :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 30th, 2004, 06:53 AM   #391
aznichiro115

Likes (Received): 13

all my time in hong kong i've never seen a train end at Hung Hom, Lo Wu, Sheung Shui. and TSTE soon
aznichiro115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 07:52 AM   #392
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Between Kowloon Bay and Ngau Tau Kok Stations. (noted the middle three tracks are the southern entrance to the Kowloon Bay Depot) Photo by Billy Wong - July 1999

Hong Kong Railway Society

Old October 30th, 2004, 09:35 AM   #393
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchan7
Maybe the non-retrofit doors were designed from scratch by local engineers, and the two-part nature of assembly made it cheaper or easier to install and maintain.

In any case, they're not terrible-looking, and it is a great privilege for a metro system to have PSDs implemented on the entire network. Hong Kong's new and renovated station environments are truly first-rate, comparable with the best and newest of Tokyo and Singapore's lines.

China's metro systems need to work on some form of innovation. Their stations are either blatant copies (albeit LEGAL copies with purchased designs and consulting) or boring derivatives.

I always thought that Singapore compares its metro with HK not the other way around.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 09:58 AM   #394
Sher
patience

Quote:
you can interchange for mtr at TST East station????
Wow, that would be nice! I didn't know that, hope its walking distance are not as far as the Central-HK mtr.
Old October 30th, 2004, 10:14 AM   #395
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

Why?

The Singapore Hong Kong Metro relationship is kinda a two way thing. Both are good in certain areas so they find themselves learning from one another.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 10:21 AM   #396
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates
I always thought that Singapore compares its metro with HK not the other way around.
Err......seriously no. To add on to what ignore said, Singapore's urban planners hardly, if ever, mention HK's transport system when citing example cities they are trying to gear us towards. Rather, we often here them talking about Tokyo and Paris' rail comprehensiveness, and Zurich's excellent inter-modal linkages as the standard they hope to archieve here?

When they introduce new rail systems like the driverless trains and such, they look to Europe or Japan directly too, and not really to regional cities.

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 10:26 AM   #397
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Err......seriously no. To add on to what ignore said, Singapore's urban planners hardly, if ever, mention HK's transport system when citing example cities they are trying to gear us towards. Rather, we often here them talking about Tokyo and Paris' rail comprehensiveness, and Zurich's excellent inter-modal linkages as the standard they hope to archieve here?

When they introduce new rail systems like the driverless trains and such, they look to Europe or Japan directly too, and not really to regional cities.
What I meant was that visitors to both Hong Kong and Singapore find themselves comparing the two different metros. I have heard things from HK MTR's trains running super fast as compared to Singapore's to how Singapore's stations and trains are cleaner and safer with the PSDs. Visitors to both cities compare these two different metros cause they are actually quite similar.

Planners plan for the future so obviously they wouldnt look to HK's MTR for how comprehensive a rail system should be as after all, both metros are relative to their european counterparts still in their middle ages...
Old October 30th, 2004, 10:39 AM   #398
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
What I meant was that visitors to both Hong Kong and Singapore find themselves comparing the two different metros. I have heard things from HK MTR's trains running super fast as compared to Singapore's to how Singapore's stations and trains are cleaner and safer with the PSDs. Visitors to both cities compare these two different metros cause they are actually quite similar.

Planners plan for the future so obviously they wouldnt look to HK's MTR for how comprehensive a rail system should be as after all, both metros are relative to their european counterparts still in their middle ages...
Whoops....since like I didnt have enough sleep.

Well then, it is simply not true that Singapore's planners are basing their transport model on HK's no matter how "similar" laymen may think it is. It has to be reminded, that the geographical configuration of the two cities are hardly similar, as I mentioned before, and transport networks have to take that into account.

The only aspect of urban transportation which we do appear to look to HK is the contactless card system's application in non-transport uses, although even that is not explicitly mentioned? You any idea where the EZlink card tech was adopted from?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 10:51 AM   #399
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

I thought Singapore already has a system like the Octopus.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 11:02 AM   #400
ignoramus

Singapore's Transport Planners do not look to Hong Kong for transport related issues. We did attempt to try out mini buses though, but that never did happen cause mini buses are just not suited for Singapore. Singapore might have trams though in the future, in Singapore's ''One North'' Biomedical Hub. They won't apply this to public transportation uses as it competes with road traffic, but once again such trains are not based on Hong Kong's KCR Light Rail or Trams. They seem to be more based on European Systems. Singapore didn't adopt Hong Kong's way of powering trains using overhead pantographs too. So technically and in terms of planning for the future, Singapore does not look to Hong Kong and as with what huaiwei said, looks to Europe and Japan, pioneers in driverless technology and comprehensive urban transport networks.

Tourists on the other hand, like to compare the Singapore MRT System to Hong Kong's MTR System (Not many heard of KCR though) cause they are both one of the earliest subways to be built in this region (Excluding South Korea and Japan) and the two cities are in quite close proximity to one another and they both have that distinctive red line on the train cars.

Singapore's ''ezlink'' Contactless Smart Card System was from ERG Systems of Australia and was adopted by Singapore in 2002. Hong Kong's ''Octopus'' Contactless Smart Card System was from Sony and was adopted by Hong Kong in 1997. Thus, the systems are quite different in that they were made by different companies and are based on different levels of technology.

Tags
hongkong, metro