daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 8th, 2016, 01:29 PM   #3981
luacstjh98

Likes (Received): 285

Quick question: After the completion of the Sha Tin to Central Link, will the driving direction of the Ma On Shan line be changed to align with that of the West Rail Line?

I have a bad habit of retroactively editing my posts without prior warning.
luacstjh98 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2016, 04:19 PM   #3982
xavier114fch

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by luacstjh98 View Post
Quick question: After the completion of the Sha Tin to Central Link, will the driving direction of the Ma On Shan line be changed to align with that of the West Rail Line?
There is no change to the driving direction as Ma Tau Wai station is designed with stacked side platforms. Train drives on the right north of that station towards Wu Kai Sha, and vice versa south of that station towards Tuen Mun.
xavier114fch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2016, 10:26 PM   #3983
Geography

Likes (Received): 104

What's the status of the South Island Line, East and West sections?

When will the East Kowloon Island begin construction?
Geography no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2016, 10:31 AM   #3984
xavier114fch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography View Post
What's the status of the South Island Line, East and West sections?

When will the East Kowloon Island begin construction?
South Island Line (East): 94.2% completed and will open towards the end of this year.

Breakdown of progress for each section/station could be found on this District Council presentation:
http://www.mtr-southislandline.hk/pd...ct/ppt61-1.pdf

Project website: http://www.mtr-southislandline.hk/en/index.html

South Island Line (West): Part of the RDS-2014 planning and the indicative implementation window is 2021-26.

East Kowloon Line: Part of the RDS-2014 planning and the indicative implementation window is 2019-25.

The 2 lines above are still in planning stage.

Geography liked this post
Old May 10th, 2016, 04:11 PM   #3985
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18161

Commuters delayed after Lohas Park train blaze
May 10, 2016
The Standard Excerpt

Services on the MTR's Tseung Kwan O line were disrupted for two hours early yesterday after a rail milling train caught fire near Lohas Park station.

MTR Corp Ltd said the cause of the fire on the HK$72 million Austrian-made train was still under investigation, and the extent of the damage and related cost have yet to be assessed.

At about 4.20am, staff discovered the train, which moves along tracks and polishes them and was only commissioned last July, had caught fire and emitted smoke about 300 meters from Lohas Park station.

"Our staff found the smoke detector was on and tried to put out the fire by extinguishers. The situation was handed over to the firefighters after they had arrived. We apologize for inconvenience caused to the passengers," MTRCL head of operations Francis Li Shing-kee said.

At that time, the vehicle already finished polishing rails and was connected to a locomotive, and scheduled to return to the depot.

Some passengers said they were inconvenienced by the fire, especially with few transport options at Lohas Park.

A Fire Services Department spokeswoman said 18 fire trucks with 76 firefighters arrived at the scene, and the blaze wasput out in 50 minutes. No one was injured.

The service from Lohas Park to Tseung Kwan O was suspended for about half an hour, with the first train departing at 6.25am instead of 5.57am. From 6.25 to 8.10am, a limited service at 12-minute intervals operated between the stations.

From 6.25 to 7.30am, the service between North Point and Po Lam ran every six minutes.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 04:59 PM   #3986
luacstjh98

Speaking of LOHAS Park, I've always found it funny that the Kwun Tong Line ends at Tiu Keng Leng, then two tracks to Tseung Kwan O, then the TKL splits to Po Lam and LOHAS Park.

Was it ever considered to extend the Kwun Tong Line to Tseung Kwan O, then have it take over one of the TKL's branches?

---

And on a side note, South Horizons seems rather cramped, but is that just me and my Singaporean neo-Soviet design talking?

Old May 10th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #3987
maginn
maginn

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Speaking of LOHAS Park, I've always found it funny that the Kwun Tong Line ends at Tiu Keng Leng, then two tracks to Tseung Kwan O, then the TKL splits to Po Lam and LOHAS Park.

Was it ever considered to extend the Kwun Tong Line to Tseung Kwan O, then have it take over one of the TKL's branches?

---

And on a side note, South Horizons seems rather cramped, but is that just me and my Singaporean neo-Soviet design talking?
I live in LOHAS Park and I can tell you that the station is normally served by a shuttle service of the TKO Line running from Tiu Keng Leng to LOHAS Park (via TKO) only.
Trains to/from LOHAS Park and the terminus in North Point (the full service) only operate during rush-hours.
I hope one day the Kwun Tong Line gets extended from Tiu Keng Leng to Po Lam and the TKO Line runs from North Point to LOHAS Park on a full-time basis, getting rid of the current spur section alignment...
maginn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 06:09 PM   #3988
maginn
maginn

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
South Horizons is a private housing estate on Ap Lei Chau, which I believe is actually the world's most densely populated island!
maginn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2016, 06:19 PM   #3989
xavier114fch

Quote:

---

The turnback siding of Kwun Tong Line nearly reaches Tseung Kwan O Station, but due to the piles from the residential buildings above the running railway line, it is impossible to extend Kwun Tong Line to Tsueng Kwan O and connects to the LOHAS Park spur.
Old May 10th, 2016, 06:30 PM   #3990
xavier114fch

Quote:
Originally Posted by maginn View Post
South Horizons is a private housing estate on Ap Lei Chau, which I believe is actually the world's most densely populated island!
Because the station sits under a narrow street with residential buildings at both sides.

This station was previously located to the north of South Horizons - under South Horizons Drive just outside Ap Lei Chau Estate. There are power cables running underground and have to be relocated. The relocation work takes extra 3 years of construction, so the current location has been chosen.
Old May 11th, 2016, 06:40 PM   #3991
hkskyline
Hong Kong

By Milkshakeshake from dcfever :

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old May 12th, 2016, 04:19 AM   #3992
luacstjh98

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier114fch View Post
The turnback siding of Kwun Tong Line nearly reaches Tseung Kwan O Station, but due to the piles from the residential buildings above the running railway line, it is impossible to extend Kwun Tong Line to Tsueng Kwan O and connects to the LOHAS Park spur.
All this is completely theoretical, but I have two approaches:

1) The KTL switches onto TKL tracks after Yau Tong, and share tracks through Tiu Keng Leng and Tseung Kwan O stations. (LUL Ealing Common station)

2) Replace the turnback sidings with tunnels to deep-level platforms under Po Yap Road or under Tseung Kwan O station for the KTL, which can then continue to the LOHAS Park spur. (less likely)

Old May 13th, 2016, 02:31 PM   #3993
hkskyline
Hong Kong

R0000053 by Yan Cheng, on Flickr

Old May 14th, 2016, 05:41 PM   #3994
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Service warning as MTR plots a signaling upgrade
12 May 2016
The Standard Excerpt

The first trains on the East Rail line may be affected when tests of the upgraded MTR signaling system begin in the third quarter.

MTR Corp Ltd operations director Adi Lau Tin- shing said the switch of signaling systems may not be smooth during the upgrade so contingency plans will be prepared and passengers notified in advance should there be a delay or disruption of service.

The signaling upgrade on seven railway lines is estimated to cost HK$3.3 billion. Advance work on the Tsuen Wan line started late last year and is expected to be completed by 2018.

The installation of optical fiber wiring began in March and the installation of new train-borne signaling equipment will start next month. The system will be completed in phases from 2018 to 2026.

Tests on the Tsuen Wan line during non-service hours are expected to start later this year. The lines will be switched to the new system during non-service hours and returned to the current signaling system before the operation of the first train.

"It is possible that the switchover may not be smooth during the tests and the first few trains could be affected,'' Lau said.

"Unlike metros in other countries, where the system is shut down for weeks or months, or at least during weekends during upgrades, the service in Hong Kong will still be run every day.''

Old May 15th, 2016, 06:11 PM   #3995
hkskyline
Hong Kong

You see all kinds of people on the MTR! by Jamie Lloyd, on Flickr

Old May 16th, 2016, 12:05 AM   #3996
Silly_Walks

Likes (Received): 836

Well, all kinds, or just those two?
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpo...postcount=3977

Silly_Walks está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2016, 05:12 PM   #3997
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Prices on the South Island Line have been unofficially published :

A ride from Admiralty to Ocean Park / Wong Chuk Hang / South Horizons would cost $5.2.

Silly_Walks liked this post
Old May 17th, 2016, 08:35 PM   #3998
skyridgeline

Likes (Received): 1214

Half the fare and half the travel time compared to an express bus.
skyridgeline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 06:04 PM   #3999
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The Standard Excerpt
Fast track to fun when new line opens
May 18, 2016

Traveling from Admiralty to Ocean Park is expected to save passengers time and money when the MTR South Island Line (East) opens later this year.

This is according to the Transport Department's proposed public transport reorganization plan in response to the upcoming railway service.

The department estimates a single trip from Admiralty or Central to the theme park in Aberdeen will cost HK$5.20 and take four minutes. The Citybus route 629 from Admiralty to the Ocean Park main entrance costs HK$10.60 and takes 12 minutes.

It also estimated that passengers from Kowloon East, such as Kwun Tong and Diamond Hill stations, will pay HK$13.80 to go to Ocean Park.

The South Island Line (East) will connect Admiralty Station to Southern District, with new stations at Ocean Park, Wong Chuk Hang, Lei Tung and South Horizons.

Passengers traveling between stations on the South Island Line will pay HK$4.40, it said.

But the department said the actual fare will be subject to a future announcement by the MTR Corp Ltd.

"According to the information provided by the MTR, the journey time between the new South Horizons Station and Admiralty Station will only be about 11 minutes," it said.

Old May 23rd, 2016, 09:27 PM   #4000
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Plaque at Taikoo Station on Island Line Opening by Hongkonger's Collection, on Flickr

Tags
hongkong, metro