daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 11th, 2004, 06:59 PM   #61
City of Life
Asia's world city

Likes (Received): 0

The official website of Hong Kong's Octopus Card
http://www.octopus.com.hk/eng

Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2004, 04:22 AM   #62
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
What's a Hong Konger doing in Vancouver? Are you on permenent residency in Vancouver, business, or university education...

Hong Kongers are very common in Vancouver. I see more Cantonese there than whites. Take Richmond for example its basically a haven for Chinese. I was at this mall a few years back in Richmond and everybody was Chinese I went up to the Dairy Queen to buy a drink and I ordered in Cantonese, it was so cool felt like in HK.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2004, 04:24 AM   #63
zergcerebrates

"The Octopus card can be widely used in over 253 different organisations covering public transport, parking, retail, self services outlets, conferences and exhibitions, recreational facilities, school campuses and access control."

Dang. Its like a card for everything. I thought its mainly for mass transportation and some vending machines.
Old August 12th, 2004, 04:29 AM   #64
zergcerebrates

A question about the Octopus watch.

I thought they don't make those anymore until I visited the website. Anyways is the octopus watch the same as the card? Can I keep adding value into it, or is it a one time thing only?
Old August 12th, 2004, 04:55 AM   #65
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
EricIsHim: Okay I still don't really get how they charge passengers on the bus. Why do you have to pay the full fare from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 if you only ride from Terminal 1 to Bus Stop 2. And Why do you pay less from Bus Stop 2 to Bus Stop 4 even though it is the same distance? This is distance based?

For Singapore, fares are charged on the bus and the MRT & LRT based on how far you travel a.k.a. distance based. As in, every route that a bus takes is broken up into maybe 30 or more fare stages. Each stage that you travel through costs a certain amount. So if you travel from stage 11 to stage 28, you will be charged the amount from stage 11 to 28.

All buses in HK have that announcement and display thinggy? That's pretty neat.
I did a really bad job on the explanation..... hahahah
I was falling in sleep when I was typing the thing.
Thanks for hkskyline to clear everything up.

BTW, not all buses in HK had the stop announcement system.
I would say the majority don't. You can find it more often in Kowloon / The New Territories than in Hong Kong Island; because KMB has been more concerned about this kind of improvement than NWFB or Citybus. But all airport shuttles are installed with the stop announciement system for tourists.

But for on board LCD TV, most of the buses have been installed. These TV play more commercial than information. Bus companies make money out for them. That's why installing TV has been more active.
Old August 12th, 2004, 05:00 AM   #66
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates
A question about the Octopus watch.

I thought they don't make those anymore until I visited the website. Anyways is the octopus watch the same as the card? Can I keep adding value into it, or is it a one time thing only?
These watches work like cards. They can be refilled at anytime.
Unlike Octopus cards, Octopus cannot be refilled at vending machine by yourself.
Old August 12th, 2004, 05:00 AM   #67
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18161

The Octopus watch works the same way as a regular card. The chip is embeded inside and it can be reloaded. There are even Octopus phone covers now. Check out the website :
http://www.octopuscards.com/eng/whatis/other.jsp
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 12:15 PM   #68
Dennis
Rotterdam

Likes (Received): 12

thank u guys for posting those sound fragments, so strange to hear those again :'(

i wanna go baaack! :'(
Old August 18th, 2004, 12:51 PM   #69
Isan
อีสาน 東北府

Likes (Received): 4

Tung Chung Station

Kowloon Station

BEAUTIFUL SIAM
Isan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2004, 01:22 PM   #70
zergcerebrates

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
The Octopus watch works the same way as a regular card. The chip is embeded inside and it can be reloaded. There are even Octopus phone covers now. Check out the website :
http://www.octopuscards.com/eng/whatis/other.jsp

Its good to know they make octopus on phone covers too, but I doubt anyone would want to buy those covers now. Those Nokia phones are quite dated already, I doubt anyone in HK would still buy those. They should sell the chip itself so we can put it into the phone ourselves, thin enough to fit in most covers.
Old August 18th, 2004, 03:36 PM   #71
Dennis
Rotterdam

anyone knows where i can find more sounds?
Old August 19th, 2004, 08:40 AM   #72
ailiton
Toffy

Likes (Received): 1

Kwun Tong Line

Tsuen Wan Line

Island Line

Tung Chung Line

Tseung Kwan O Line

Airport Express
ailiton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 09:13 AM   #73
VAN-TO
Van 2010 Supporter

MTR - Clean & Efficient

The MTR has got to be one of the world's cleanest subway systems. Stations like Sham Shui Po sometimes get a little foul smell (I guess it's sewege), but otherwise everything is top of its class.

I was shocked when I moved to Toronto, that the subways were falling apart, & fares were still collected by the booth.

Ever since moving to Toronto, I have to drive 10x more per week than in HK.
VAN-TO no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 10:49 AM   #74
Syd-Hk
What Title?

yeah HK transport is very clean and efficent, esp because of the SARS virus in 2003 everything was cleaner to prevent further spread of virus!

-also HK don't rely on cars as much because of effficent bus system , in western countries like USA, UK and australia car ownership and mileage is much higher than HK. hehe.. sydney's train system is worse than toronto's believe me.
Syd-Hk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 10:51 AM   #75
Dennis
Rotterdam

@ailiton

Thanx!
Old August 19th, 2004, 12:07 PM   #76
vincent

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates
"The Octopus card can be widely used in over 253 different organisations covering public transport, parking, retail, self services outlets, conferences and exhibitions, recreational facilities, school campuses and access control."

Dang. Its like a card for everything. I thought its mainly for mass transportation and some vending machines.
another advantage of Octopus card is that you can add values to the card in basically ANYWHERE. For example, if you are ordering stuff from McDonnalds, after u pay for the food (using Octopus or cash), you can just ask the cashier to add the values that you want to the Octopus card (you got to give cashier the money of course). You can do the same thing in some of the other large-chain fast food restaurants also. The same can be done in shops like 7-11, OK......and apparently you can do it in MTR stations. These "add-value locations" form a VERY VERY extensive network all around HK.

they use octopus card to take attendence in school too.
vincent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 12:09 PM   #77
vincent

From EricIsHim:
"Second, and last, is the most technically advanced. GPS is used to determine the bus location in order to switch the display and play the announcement. KMB, the largest bus company in Hong Kong, has been testing using GPS on Rt. 1A, which runs between Shau Mau Ping and Tsim Sha Tsui Ferry, for more accurate real-time information including provides expected waiting time, location of the nearest bus etc. at the bus stops along the route. However, due to the skycrapers density in Hong Kong, GPS singal is often blocked or making a time-delay problem. Consequently, real-time information cannot be provided accurately."

i heard about this plan for so long already. So are they going to expand the system to other bus line too?? or is the difficulties faced make the plan dead already??
Old August 19th, 2004, 12:22 PM   #78
vincent

Express buses in nyc is US$4 i believe. But it is only express in the highway portion. Not really an "express". So i don't think the HK fare is expensive.

Dennis, i read a news saying Octopus HK Ltd. is helping out Netherland to do the same thing there (a team of staff has been sent there). So you will be able to use hk technology in your home soon.
not sure how much Octopus HK will be paid?

Octopus card can be a funny scene in subway stations around HK, because i have seen tourists using the magnetic fare card to sweep through the Octopus card sensor (the yellow box) on the turnstiles, and of course that doesn't work. They keep trying when they see everybody just do the same thing to get through. I don't know why they did finally though.

and does anyone know what other cities other than Seoul, hk, singapore, taipei are using the octopus technology in transportation system?
and are hk and singapore the only cities in the world that has lcd on buses?
Old August 19th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #79
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
Express buses in nyc is US$4 i believe. But it is only express in the highway portion. Not really an "express". So i don't think the HK fare is expensive.

Dennis, i read a news saying Octopus HK Ltd. is helping out Netherland to do the same thing there (a team of staff has been sent there). So you will be able to use hk technology in your home soon.
not sure how much Octopus HK will be paid?

Octopus card can be a funny scene in subway stations around HK, because i have seen tourists using the magnetic fare card to sweep through the Octopus card sensor (the yellow box) on the turnstiles, and of course that doesn't work. They keep trying when they see everybody just do the same thing to get through. I don't know why they did finally though.

and does anyone know what other cities other than Seoul, hk, singapore, taipei are using the octopus technology in transportation system?
and are hk and singapore the only cities in the world that has lcd on buses?
The recently completed Delhi Metro Rail in New Delhi, India also uses the contactless smart card technology in its rail operations. However,
- A contactless smart card is used for multiple rides. The card is tapped on the [email protected] fare gate when entering or leaving the system. Whereas,
- A contactless smart token is used for single trips. The token is tapped on the [email protected] fare gate when entering but must be deposited into a [email protected] the fare gate when leaving the system.

Singapore's MRT & LRT network is completely dependent on the contactless smart card technology for both single trip and multiple ride tickets.

Hong Kong's MTR & KCR network is dependent on the contactless smart card technology for multiple ride tickets but is reliant on magnetic tickets for single trips.

Not sure if only Singapore's MRT, LRT & bus network and Hong Kong's KCR & bus network have LCD Screens in them.

But the LCD Screens in Hong Kong's KCR trains, buses and Singapore's MRT & LRT display only recorded commercials. The LCD Screens that have been installed on Singapore's buses however broadcast both Live & Digital News, Entertainment, Sports programmes and others. This is known in Singapore as ''TVmobile''.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 01:58 PM   #80
ignoramus

Oh I almost forgot...

The contactless smart card technology is also being used in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. This card is known as ''Touch N Go''.

However, it is used primarily for Toll Charges on the nation's highways. Recently, they installed Touch N Go readers at 3 stations in KL's StarLine LRT system & in all stations in KL's PutraLine LRT system. The other stations in the StarLine LRT system as well as the stations in the KL Monorail network do not have the readers installed though as this is only a trial. Thus, if you enter the LRT system from a Touch N Go enabled station and if you plan to exit the system at a NON TOUCH N GO Station, you CANT!

Anyways this mode of payment is only on a trial basis and is NOT the main mode of payment on KL's public transportation network unlike in Taipei, Hong Kong and Singapore. They still use magnetic tickets, one type each for each of the 3 LRT/Monorail systems in KL.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hongkong, metro