daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 19th, 2004, 02:22 PM   #81
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
And everything is in english only because the authorities think that if the messages were broadcast in too many languages it would sound messy to us. (I guess Hong Kong's MTR proved our authorities wrong, that having the announcements in 3 languages/dialects don't mess things up). But apart from all these, the announcements are I guess in perfect english so it makes the entire train system feel that much more modern.
Maybe you are too young to know, but when the MRT started running here years ago, the announcements were made in all four official languages! In fact I think they stopped doing it since slightly over 5 years ago? You should have remembered heard it, didnt you?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #82
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Maybe you are too young to know, but when the MRT started running here years ago, the announcements were made in all four official languages! In fact I think they stopped doing it since slightly over 5 years ago? You should have remembered heard it, didnt you?
Erhem! I am NOT that young... haha. Yes I did hear them before. In fact I could almost remember all the english and chinese words in them... Ya what I was talking about was that they shouldn't have removed them, even if they did, they should have retained at least the one in english... By removing even that they assume everyone knows what lines cross at that station.

However, I think I still hear it occasionally but I don't think its played everytime the train arrives at City Hall Station...that's what's so weird...They removed it...and yet...in a sense...they didn't...
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 02:55 PM   #83
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Erhem! I am NOT that young... haha. Yes I did hear them before. In fact I could almost remember all the english and chinese words in them... Ya what I was talking about was that they shouldn't have removed them, even if they did, they should have retained at least the one in english... By removing even that they assume everyone knows what lines cross at that station.

However, I think I still hear it occasionally but I don't think its played everytime the train arrives at City Hall Station...that's what's so weird...They removed it...and yet...in a sense...they didn't...
Haha.....alright alright...good that you remember!

I remember they used to have long messages about train transfers at City Hall and Raffles Place, but it seems like they are of not much use since they were barely audible over the screaching sounds as the train rumbled on?

Btw, when will the rail lines go to the south of Hong Kong Island? Are there any reasons why that area is still not served by rail, other then geographical factors? Low demand?

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old August 19th, 2004, 03:03 PM   #84
ignoramus

I think most of the announcements in the underground sections are barely audible. They should seriously consider a major overhaul of the trains like what they did in HK. Did they really expect that trains could last 30 or even 50 years? Sure if you were operating a railway line in India, but to maintain a world class system, you simply have to ''renovate'' your trains every 15 years or so a.k.a. when the train reaches the midpoint of its lifespan.

Yah I always wondered why the south of Hong Kong Island was not served by the MTR. It seemed as though all the lines try desperately to avoid it. What's the terrain like there?
Old August 19th, 2004, 03:13 PM   #85
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Er...overhaul the trains just because of the announcements??

Well they are in the process of changing the trains on the older NS and EW lines right? NEL's trains have relatively audible announcements, but then again, that is probably because the trip seems relatively quieter. I dont know, but I get that impression riding in these trains almost everyday.

Btw, I find that discussion about "downtowns" and "new towns" quite intriguing...did you guys ever realise just how similarly configured the two cities are, despite the terrain?

All I know about the south of Hong Kong Island is that it is freaking hilly....but dont the Stanley folks need some quicker transport?

Old August 19th, 2004, 05:42 PM   #86
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

There are plans to build 2 new lines to the south side of Hong Kong Island. Ocean Park has been pushing for a direct transit link especially since Disneyland will have one when they open next year. Plans are under discussion but it seems like it won't be a heavy rail line.

Website : http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/extensions...troduction.htm

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 06:27 PM   #87
Isan
อีสาน 東北府

Quote:
Oh I almost forgot...

The contactless smart card technology is also being used in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. This card is known as ''Touch N Go''.
Taipei Mass Transit had already been implied for using of Smart Card system as resemble as Hong Kong

Quote:
Anyways this mode of payment is only on a trial basis and is NOT the main mode of payment on KL's public transportation network unlike in Taipei, Hong Kong and Singapore. They still use magnetic tickets, one type each for each of the 3 LRT/Monorail systems in KL.
Yes, In Taiwan toll fee highway are now using both of electronic money system and voucher pre-paid ticket instead of in used of magnetic one and paid exact fee for single journey is also welcome

Quote:
But the LCD Screens in Hong Kong's KCR trains, buses and Singapore's MRT & LRT display only recorded commercials. The LCD Screens that have been installed on Singapore's buses however broadcast both Live & Digital News, Entertainment, Sports programmes and others. This is known in Singapore as ''TVmobile''
Recently in Taipei Metro Bus has just finished of placed 2 flat LCD monitor for each all route but only for recorded program brodcasting in the very begaining stage and not yet to know LIVE will go soon?

And also all long-route in-land transporation coach had already been installed personal LCD TV on each seat based

BEAUTIFUL SIAM

Last edited by Isan; August 19th, 2004 at 06:54 PM.
Isan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 06:53 PM   #88
vvill

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates
"The Octopus card can be widely used in over 253 different organisations covering public transport, parking, retail, self services outlets, conferences and exhibitions, recreational facilities, school campuses and access control."

Dang. Its like a card for everything. I thought its mainly for mass transportation and some vending machines.
now you can even use your octopus card to purchase fresh food items from some of the wet markets in hong kong.
vvill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2004, 06:55 PM   #89
vvill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isan
And also all long-route in-land transporation coach had already been installed personal LCD TV on each seat based
yeah. i saw that when i was in taipei last month. they look really cool!
vvill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2004, 04:36 AM   #90
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
Er...overhaul the trains just because of the announcements??

Well they are in the process of changing the trains on the older NS and EW lines right? NEL's trains have relatively audible announcements, but then again, that is probably because the trip seems relatively quieter. I dont know, but I get that impression riding in these trains almost everyday.

Btw, I find that discussion about "downtowns" and "new towns" quite intriguing...did you guys ever realise just how similarly configured the two cities are, despite the terrain?

All I know about the south of Hong Kong Island is that it is freaking hilly....but dont the Stanley folks need some quicker transport?
Oh I wasn't implying that there was a need to overhaul the trains just because of the announcements, that would be too silly... But just overall the older trains need a facelift and they need to incorporate the newer features that the new trains have to keep in touch with time, both for the safety and comfort of the passenger...

NEL Trains are definitely quieter and the journeys on it are smoother...I noticed they turn up the volume of the announcements to make it easier for passengers to hear them too.

I don't think SMRT plans to change the trains...as with what someone else said, they are only about 15 or so years old...that would not be worth it...and if HK's MTR just retrofitted their trains even though they are quite old, it wouldn't seem practical for us to change our trains all together. I don't think even in their financial statements they intended to upgrade the trains, they just stated high maintanence costs.
Old August 20th, 2004, 05:31 AM   #91
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Hong Kong trains were about 20 years old when they were refurbished. They also purchased some new rolling stock for the Tseung Kwan O line. The Airport Express and Tung Chung line run their own unique trains.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old August 20th, 2004, 06:21 AM   #92
vincent

Likes (Received): 7

when octopus in hk first came out in 1997, I remember some smart kid in university can somehow add values to the card for free.
not sure if the problems is solved?

hkskyline, did you read my private message btw?
vincent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2004, 08:46 AM   #93
Isan
อีสาน 東北府

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Hong Kong trains were about 20 years old when they were refurbished. They also purchased some new rolling stock for the Tseung Kwan O line. The Airport Express and Tung Chung line run their own unique trains.

BEAUTIFUL SIAM
Old August 20th, 2004, 01:44 PM   #94
xePh3roK
Hong Kong / 香港

Likes (Received): 1

xePh3roK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2004, 04:59 PM   #95
ignoramus

Awesome pictures...

The ends and the sides of the train carriages plying the Tung Chung Line & the Airport Express Line are very sleek a.k.a. modern. Especially in the case of the trains on the AEL, the blue carriages adds a touch of class and modernity to the trains. Very nice touch. Despite looking much better after the retrofit, the older MTR trains still looks kind of ''scary'' in a sense... They don't give you a pleasant feeling. But who could blame it, trains then as with the ones everywhere else were designed to transport people efficiently only, who cares whether they are pleasing to the eye or not.

But the overhead pantographs really spoil the view a lot... Why didn't HK use third rail 750V to power the trains instead? Can it be because the trains in HK need to travel real fast (that's what I have heard, trains in HK travel way fast. Is that true?) so the 750V supplied through third rail isn't sufficient and thus needs the 1500V overhead power supply instead?

But the way anyone knows what's the maximum speed and average operating speeds on the Tung Chung Line, Airport Express Line and the older MTR Lines?

And how many MTR & KCR heavy rail/subway/metro stations are there in Hong Kong? A.k.a. similar to that of Singapore's MRT stations or Seoul's subway stations.
Old August 20th, 2004, 05:08 PM   #96
xePh3roK
Hong Kong / 香港

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Awesome pictures...
But the way anyone knows what's the maximum speed and average operating speeds on the Tung Chung Line, Airport Express Line and the older MTR Lines?
Not really fast...

I guess the Airport Express + Tung Chung line about 80 km/h
xePh3roK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2004, 05:14 PM   #97
hkskyline
Hong Kong

The Airport Express travels at over 130 km/h. The Tung Chung line feels faster than the other lines because the stations are further apart - probably around 100km/h.

Old August 20th, 2004, 05:25 PM   #98
ignoramus

That's VERY fast in my opinion. What about the older MTR Lines?

Does anyone have any pictures of elevated MTR stations in HK? Havent seen any pictures of them yet though I know they exist. Do they have a unique architecture or are they just elevated concrete boxes?
Old August 20th, 2004, 08:27 PM   #99
Isan
อีสาน 東北府

Fussy Art ???

BEAUTIFUL SIAM
Old August 20th, 2004, 11:03 PM   #100
The Chemist
Right you are, Ken

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ailiton
The woman's accent on the English version of this announcement reminds me of the woman's accent that does the announcements on the Northern and Jubilee lines of the London Underground, except with a slight Chinese accent added on to the English accent.
The Chemist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hongkong, metro