daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 14th, 2005, 01:33 PM   #1021
kenlau13

Likes (Received): 0

kenlau13 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 15th, 2005, 02:36 AM   #1022
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Are they going to add PSD to Chai Wan or those "proposed" plat-form gates?
Old October 16th, 2005, 03:56 AM   #1023
Jaroslaw

Likes (Received): 80

Since there are no exit gates at the airport, what's to prevent me from buying the cheaper ticket to AWE and getting off at the earlier stop?
Jaroslaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 04:15 AM   #1024
vincent

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslaw1
Since there are no exit gates at the airport, what's to prevent me from buying the cheaper ticket to AWE and getting off at the earlier stop?
i think they will add the gates now for the airport station. Before the AWE is built, everyone only has one station to exit, which is the airport.
vincent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 05:09 AM   #1025
ailiton
Toffy

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
i think they will add the gates now for the airport station. Before the AWE is built, everyone only has one station to exit, which is the airport.
I'm quite sure they won't do that.

Airport station will remain barrier free but AWE station will have fare gates.
ailiton no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 05:11 AM   #1026
ailiton
Toffy

Quote:
You only get discount (~25% off) if you use your Octopus card. You will be deducted full fare when you scan your card at one of the AEL stations in the city and the discount amount will be refunded to you when you scan your card at AWE.
Old October 16th, 2005, 10:53 AM   #1027
bs_lover_boy
POUND THE ALARM!!!

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgadv02
Are they going to add PSD to Chai Wan or those "proposed" plat-form gates?
Definitely not PSD, but PGD is under experimentation and consideration.
LULU – Locally Unwanted Land Use.
NOPE – Not On Planet Earth
BANANA – Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything

Anymore????
bs_lover_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 09:35 PM   #1028
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Yea, thats what I said those PGD...but is it more, or are those PGD @ Sunny Bay are so slow..it takes like 5 seconds for it to open after the train door are open. Shouldnt they be open at the same time?
Old October 17th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #1029
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18161

Railway merger talks in the home stretch
Denise Tsang
13 October 2005
South China Morning Post

The government is in the final stage of negotiations on combining Hong Kong's two railway corporations and vows to divulge its decision as soon as a conclusion is reached, according to Chief Executive Donald Tsang Yam-kuen.

Instead of unveiling new infrastructure projects, Mr Tsang offered an update on ongoing developments in the rail, road and air transport arenas in his maiden policy address yesterday.

He pledged to complete various projects to meet the city's growing demand for public transport and resolve geographic hurdles in the Pearl River delta region with cross-border transport links.

But topping his agenda is the proposed merger between Hong Kong-listed MTR Corp and government-owned Kowloon-Canton Railway Corp (KCRC), which has been under negotiation since the middle of 2002.

Although Mr Tsang offered limited details on the talks, many analysts welcomed the latest progress report on the issue.

Credit Suisse First Boston analyst Gary Chan said: "I think the parties should come to a conclusion as soon as possible and work out terms mutually acceptable to all stakeholders."

Informed sources last week said the government favoured a partial merger that would involve MTR operating and maintaining KCR rail lines while the KCR would retain ownership of the assets.

This approach was expected to be able to meet merger objectives such as bringing down rail fares, eliminating second boarding charges and enhancing efficiency.

It is also believed to be a viable option to soothe the concerns of 360,000 minority shareholders, government bureaus, MTR and KCR staff members, passengers and taxpayers.

Mr Tsang also vowed to complete KCR's Lok Ma Chau spur line, the South Kowloon rail link and the Sha Tin-Central rail corridor, as well as continue to press for the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macau bridge, the Hong Kong-Shenzhen western corridor and the express rail line connecting Guangzhou, Shenzhen and Hong Kong.

He said $6.5 billion worth of infrastructure projects such as the second passenger terminal and the AsiaWorld Expo exhibition and event centre at Hong Kong International Airport at Chek Lap Kok would be built in the next two years.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 03:45 AM   #1030
vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ailiton
You only get discount (~25% off) if you use your Octopus card. You will be deducted full fare when you scan your card at one of the AEL stations in the city and the discount amount will be refunded to you when you scan your card at AWE.
oops, i was thinking too fast. ailiton is right.
Oh wait, so how do they know if the passenger is travel from airport to AWE? They need to know where the passenger get in to charge the $5 (airport to AWE). Hmm....
Old October 18th, 2005, 03:59 AM   #1031
ailiton
Toffy

Quote:
oops, i was thinking too fast. ailiton is right.
Oh wait, so how do they know if the passenger is travel from airport to AWE? They need to know where the passenger get in to charge the $5 (airport to AWE). Hmm....
I'm not sure but...

If you get on the train at HKG, KOW, or TSY, you would have to scan your card at those stations.

But if you get on the train at the airport, you would not have to scan your card (assuming that they won't install fare gates). Then the fare gate at AWE knows that you come from the airport.
Old October 18th, 2005, 04:36 AM   #1032
Jaroslaw

Yeah, that makes sense. Still, the airport people kind of get ripped off.

I didn't notice the airport station being rebuilt, but it was probably on the other side... They will have to add a second platform and a passageway--most likely under the tracks??? And does anyone have info about the "second terminal building" on the other side of the tracks? There was nothing about it on the airport site.
Old October 18th, 2005, 04:43 AM   #1033
ailiton
Toffy

???

Why would they add a second platform when they already have two?
Old October 18th, 2005, 04:44 AM   #1034
ailiton
Toffy

Quote:
And does anyone have info about the "second terminal building" on the other side of the tracks? There was nothing about it on the airport site.
You might be able to find something in the airport thread, or you should wait for vvill, he's the expert here.
Old October 18th, 2005, 06:47 AM   #1035
Jaroslaw

I thought they had only one platform, like at the terminal in Central...
Old October 18th, 2005, 07:03 AM   #1036
ailiton
Toffy

There are 2 platforms at Airport stations. Arrival platform is located above the departure platform.
Old October 18th, 2005, 09:10 PM   #1037
vincent

Quote:
I'm not sure but...

If you get on the train at HKG, KOW, or TSY, you would have to scan your card at those stations.

But if you get on the train at the airport, you would not have to scan your card (assuming that they won't install fare gates). Then the fare gate at AWE knows that you come from the airport.
i don't think MTR would do that. Otherwise, people will just bring in extra Octopus card just to scan it in AWE. Let's say if you are going from HK to AWE. You can pay only HK$5 instead of like $100. That's assuming you go back to the stations closer to HK in order to get out in the time limit for your first card scanned at HK. Is that two hours time limit? So you can get out of KWL on your way back. So the first card will just assume you traveled from HK to KWL ($10?). The whole thing would be 5+10=15! better than 100.
Old October 18th, 2005, 09:16 PM   #1038
vincent

Quote:
You might be able to find something in the airport thread, or you should wait for vvill, he's the expert here.
hey, i am expert in hk development too.

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/pr/pr_800.html

http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/pr/ex_513.html

more info at aedas.com also.
Old October 18th, 2005, 09:25 PM   #1039
ailiton
Toffy

Quote:
i don't think MTR would do that. Otherwise, people will just bring in extra Octopus card just to scan it in AWE. Let's say if you are going from HK to AWE. You can pay only HK$5 instead of like $100. That's assuming you go back to the stations closer to HK in order to get out in the time limit for your first card scanned at HK. Is that two hours time limit? So you can get out of KWL on your way back. So the first card will just assume you traveled from HK to KWL ($10?). The whole thing would be 5+10=15! better than 100.
You mean you one card to go from HKG to Airport and then a 2nd card from Airport to AWE? Then 2nd card from AWE to Airport and then from Airport to KOW using the 1st card?

Firstly, when you scan your 1st card at HKG, you are charged $100. Secondly, Same-Day return only works if you enter and exit at the same station. So I guess this method doesn't work.
Old October 20th, 2005, 12:21 AM   #1040
vincent

No, i meant this.

West-bound trip:
Use card 1 for entry at HKG, and travel from HKG all the way to AWE. But use card 2 to exit at AWE (keep card 1 unscanned). So card 2 would assume you just travel from airport to AWE, which is just $5.

East-bound trip:
Use card 2 for entry at AWE, and travel from AWE all the way to KWL or HKG. Never use card 2 again, so it assume u just exit at airport. Use card 1 to exit either at KWL or HKG. I was talking about the time limit because i remember a rule that say if you enter MTR system from any station, and didn't get out in certain time limit (like 2 hours??). It would charge you the highest price (i am guessing the farest station price). I am not sure about the same-day, same-station policy (please explain). So if you get out at KWL (exit using card 1) just within that time limit, card 1 would assume you just traveled from HKG to KWL. So i think the total cost would be 5+5+ whatever it cost to travel from hkg to kwl. I don't know how much it cost though if you exit at hkg.

Note: these steps won't work if MTR install fare gate at airport station.

Tags
hongkong, metro