daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 20th, 2005, 12:30 AM   #1041
ailiton
Toffy

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent
No, i meant this.

West-bound trip:
Use card 1 for entry at HKG, and travel from HKG all the way to AWE. But use card 2 to exit at AWE (keep card 1 unscanned). So card 2 would assume you just travel from airport to AWE, which is just $5.

East-bound trip:
Use card 2 for entry at AWE, and travel from AWE all the way to KWL or HKG. Never use card 2 again, so it assume u just exit at airport. Use card 1 to exit either at KWL or HKG. I was talking about the time limit because i remember a rule that say if you enter MTR system from any station, and didn't get out in certain time limit (like 2 hours??). It would charge you the highest price (i am guessing the farest station price). I am not sure about the same-day, same-station policy (please explain). So if you get out at KWL (exit using card 1) just within that time limit, card 1 would assume you just traveled from HKG to KWL. So i think the total cost would be 5+5+ whatever it cost to travel from hkg to kwl. I don't know how much it cost though if you exit at hkg.

Note: these steps won't work if MTR install fare gate at airport station.
This doesn't work because:
1. once you have scanned card 1 at HKG at the beginning of the trip, you are charged $100.
2. when you travel eastbound back to HKG on the same day, you are charged $0 (same day return fare = single journey fare)
3. no one is supposed to take AEL from HKG to KWL anyways but if you exit at KWL on the return trip, you will probably still be charge $0

if you do it your way, you will be charged $100 (card 1) + $5 (card 2) + $5 (card 2) = $110
ailiton no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2005, 02:07 AM   #1042
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

You rebels, stop trying to cheat!
Old October 20th, 2005, 03:23 AM   #1043
vincent

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ailiton
This doesn't work because:
1. once you have scanned card 1 at HKG at the beginning of the trip, you are charged $100.
2. when you travel eastbound back to HKG on the same day, you are charged $0 (same day return fare = single journey fare)
3. no one is supposed to take AEL from HKG to KWL anyways but if you exit at KWL on the return trip, you will probably still be charge $0

if you do it your way, you will be charged $100 (card 1) + $5 (card 2) + $5 (card 2) = $110
for step 1, since i will scan card 1 again at KWL later on (on the return trip). That mean card 1 assume i travel only from HKG to KWl, how can they charge $100?
vincent no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 03:26 AM   #1044
vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchan7
You rebels, stop trying to cheat!
haha
Old October 20th, 2005, 05:39 AM   #1045
ailiton
Toffy

Quote:
for step 1, since i will scan card 1 again at KWL later on (on the return trip). That mean card 1 assume i travel only from HKG to KWl, how can they charge $100?
After you board a train at HKG, you theoretically are not allowed to get off the train until you reach the airport because there are no exit fare gates installed on the westbound platforms in KWL and TSY. Moreover, westbound and eastbound platforms at KWL (or TSY) are not connected by staircases and elevators at the paid zone. So once you have scanned your card at HKG, you are charged $100 immediately (simply because you can only get off at the airport).

When you take the train back to KWL, the fare gate at KWL knows that you come from airport (because no one can get on the train at TSY except those using the morning express service).
Old October 20th, 2005, 05:43 AM   #1046
ailiton
Toffy

The $100 is deducted right at HKG station at the beginning of the trip (since there are not exit fare gates at airport).
Old October 20th, 2005, 05:58 AM   #1047
vincent

Oh, I see. I didn't know kwl, and tyl station doesn't have exit fare gate. So what happen if you exit at HKG on the eastbound (return) trip? Will you be charged 0 or 100 or 200??
Old October 20th, 2005, 06:08 AM   #1048
ailiton
Toffy

If you get on the train at HKG and go to airport, then take the train back the HKG, the second trip is free.
Old October 20th, 2005, 01:38 PM   #1049
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Farewell to the old Australian Diesel Electric Locomotives!

Four diesel electric locomotives return to Australia from KCRC website.
hkth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 01:59 PM   #1050
bs_lover_boy
POUND THE ALARM!!!

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Railway merger talks in the home stretch
Denise Tsang
13 October 2005
South China Morning Post

He said $6.5 billion worth of infrastructure projects such as the second passenger terminal and the AsiaWorld Expo exhibition and event centre at Hong Kong International Airport at Chek Lap Kok would be built in the next two years.
Something out of this topic to ask hkskyline, does the quote above mean the midfield terminal of the HKIA???
LULU – Locally Unwanted Land Use.
NOPE – Not On Planet Earth
BANANA – Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything

Anymore????
bs_lover_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 02:03 PM   #1051
bs_lover_boy
POUND THE ALARM!!!

Likes (Received): 12

One thing out of your fare coversation. There is actually two platforms for the Airport express in Hong Kong Station. But the other one is sealed and closed for future usage.
LULU – Locally Unwanted Land Use.
NOPE – Not On Planet Earth
BANANA – Build Absolutely Nothing Anywhere Near Anything

Anymore????
bs_lover_boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2005, 08:23 PM   #1052
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

Second passenger terminal in the next two years is a bad idea. The main terminal hasn't even been used to capacity.
Old October 20th, 2005, 10:27 PM   #1053
vincent

Hmm, i guess Tsang meant the Skyplaza (terminal one) that is currently uc, and current terminal becomes terminal two.
Old October 21st, 2005, 01:13 AM   #1054
vvill

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Hmm, i guess Tsang meant the Skyplaza (terminal one) that is currently uc, and current terminal becomes terminal two.
nah HKAA named the SkyPlaza also Terminal Two of HKIA.
vvill no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 03:24 AM   #1055
scorpion
...starwood... :-D

Likes (Received): 4

4D-theatre announced for SkyPlaza---

scorpion no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 10:44 AM   #1056
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

The Airport Express was designed to go to the Convention Centre. Until the Central Phase 3 reclamation is fully complete, that extra platform will remain disused.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2005, 10:45 AM   #1057
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs_lover_boy
Something out of this topic to ask hkskyline, does the quote above mean the midfield terminal of the HKIA???
The 2nd terminal should be the midfield one. I don't think there is a plan for another terminal beyond this one. I haven't picked that project up on the Hong Kong press at all lately, and I doubt something that big will start soon and go undetected.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old October 21st, 2005, 05:47 PM   #1058
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Hong Kong's MTR Corp Sept passengers 71.48 mln vs 75.32 mln in Aug
17 October 2005
AFX Asia

HONG KONG (XFN-ASIA) - MTR Corp Ltd said it carried 71.48 mln passengers in September, down from 75.32 mln in August.

On an average weekday basis, MTR Corp carried 2.53 mln passengers in September, unchanged from August, according to figures published on the company's website.

MTR Corp noted that the total monthly patronage of MTR lines and Airport Express line in September rose 2.89 pct year-on-year, but it did not give comparative numbers of passengers for the period.

However, for comparative month-on-month figures, the website said Airport Express carried 706,000 passengers in September, lower than the 736,000 passengers it carried in August, it said.

On an average daily basis, the Airport Express carried 23,500 people in September, against 23,700 in the preceding month.

Old October 21st, 2005, 09:46 PM   #1059
vincent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Hong Kong's MTR Corp Sept passengers 71.48 mln vs 75.32 mln in Aug
17 October 2005
AFX Asia

HONG KONG (XFN-ASIA) - MTR Corp Ltd said it carried 71.48 mln passengers in September, down from 75.32 mln in August.

On an average weekday basis, MTR Corp carried 2.53 mln passengers in September, unchanged from August, according to figures published on the company's website.

MTR Corp noted that the total monthly patronage of MTR lines and Airport Express line in September rose 2.89 pct year-on-year, but it did not give comparative numbers of passengers for the period.

However, for comparative month-on-month figures, the website said Airport Express carried 706,000 passengers in September, lower than the 736,000 passengers it carried in August, it said.

On an average daily basis, the Airport Express carried 23,500 people in September, against 23,700 in the preceding month.
i didn't know 23500 people use AE daily. I thought the train is usually quite empty.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 12:18 AM   #1060
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 226

I thought more people used it.
Effer no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hongkong, metro