daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 3rd, 2006, 11:02 AM   #1461
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

RTHK News:
Welding and vibrations blamed for KCR problems 2006-05-03 HKT 15:04

An internal investigation by the KCRC has blamed welding imperfections and excessive vibration for a spate of problems on Eastrail earlier this year. In a statement, the company's chairman Michael Tien said the problems arose when trains were travelling at 70 to 90 kilometres per hour. The report did not blame anyone for the cracks found in the undercarriage of trains. The KCRC also stressed that passenger safety was never at risk.
hkth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:01 PM   #1462
hkth

RTHK News:
KCR to replace 36% of Eastrail track 2006-05-03 HKT 18:39

The KCRC's chief executive, James Blake, says 36 percent of the Eastrail track will have to be replaced, following the discovery earlier this year of fractures in the undercarriage of many trains. A report put together by the corporation found that sections of the track had minute undulations which contributed to the problem. Mr Blake said several remedial measures were planned - including track replacement.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 06:06 PM   #1463
hkth

From news.gov.hk:
Tracks, welding behind KCR problems: report

Rail incident review panel formed

The Whole Report can refer here.
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:36 AM   #1464
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

That's what they SAY. =P
Old May 4th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #1465
AG

Likes (Received): 545

One of the most common sounds at any MTR station, the sound of Octopus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axDut...ch=hong%20kong
AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2006, 06:22 PM   #1466
hkth

KCRC Press Release:

Liu Tung Mui's art pieces on display at KCR Art Corner

12 developers show interest in the Tuen Mun property development project
Old May 5th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #1467
allurban
All Urban

Likes (Received): 6

I have always been impressed with the interchange system used on the Hong Kong MTR.

It is so easy to simply cross the platform to change trains...remarkably convenient for the passengers, especially elderly and less abled.

I am also impressed by the route maps, with the lights and the information they provide.

I was in HK last week and boarded the Tung Chung line. The trains of the Tung Chung line are a different design (ADTranz), with different route map design as well.

I believe that the Tung Chung line trains are the same company as the airport express line trains. Am I correct?

Now that bombardier has taken over ADTranz, Bombardier can now offer a design that is competitive with the Siemens and Alstom designs.

Gangways between cars...are an extremely valuable feature for safety, security, and convenience of use.

Cheers, m
allurban no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2006, 12:45 PM   #1468
AG

It's quite easy to have the cross platform interchanges at stations set up because there isn't a single route that crosses over any other route underground on the MTR network (except when running parallel between some places such as Mongkok and Prince Edward, and Yau Tong and Tiu Keng Leng). It's pretty convenient and minimises congestion of passengers within the interchange stations as seen in other cities.
Old May 6th, 2006, 06:41 PM   #1469
hkth

RTHK news:
KCRC says faulty rails had complied with safety standards 2006-05-06 HKT 12:06

The KCRC's senior transport director Li Yan-tai has said the railway's flawed East rail tracks were delivered in 1998 - before more stringent international standards came into place. Speaking in a special legco meeting, he said the tiny ripples or undulations found on the rails - which may have caused welding cracks under KCR trains - had complied with safety standards at the time. He added that the flaws were so small they couldn't be detected by using normal equipment. Meanwhile, the deputy chairman of legco's transport panel Andrew Cheng has criticised the KCRC's recent report as being too technical. He also said the government should set up a special body to better monitor the rail operator in future.

KCRC to spend 100 million dollars improving East rail trains 2006-05-06 HKT 14:08

The Chief Executive of the KCRC James Blake has said the railway will carry out major improvement works costing over one hundred million dollars on its East rail trains. Mr. Blake was speaking during a special legco meeting this morning into the KCRC's recent report into welding cracks on its carriages. Appearing before legislators at a special transport panel meeting - the KCRC chief James Blake pledged to upgrade all 348 of the KCR's East Rail train carriages in response to its recent internal report into how large cracks had appeared in the welding under a number of East rail trains. Mr Blake said the KCR would spend over 300 thousand dollars on overhauling each carriage, at a total cost of over 110 million dollars. He stressed however this cost wouldn't be shouldered by passengers. He added the KCRC would now seek to find staff who should be held accountable for the problems in light of the report's findings.
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:39 AM   #1470
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Sometime ago in this thread, someone said that MTR might be installing Platform Screen Gates (PSGs) on at grade or above ground stations. Are they still considering that? I believe that is pointless since if Platform Screen Doors (PSD) are installed instead, the indoor environment would be more comfortable and safety would be enhanced. When I went back to HK last summer, the stations at Heng Fa Chuen and Chai Wan were extremely humid and hot. I think the only reason they would not install PSDs was if the station was not equipped with A/C.
One more thing: How many MTR stations are above ground? Before I saw pictures of some trains pulling up to doorless platforms, I always praised MTR since I thought practically all of their stations were underground, which would allow for greater flexibility in constrution and also more space for urban development.
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:46 AM   #1471
superchan7
EOS 40D

Half-height gates are not approved yet, still being "considered." So far I have not heard of any official plan to implement them throughout the network. Exposed stations such as Kwai Hing, Kwai Fong, Chai Wan, Heng Fa Chuen, etc. are always going to be humid and hot as long as it is humid and hot outside. Sealing them to make "indoor" environments would be prohibitively expensive. One thing about gates is that they cannot provide 100% suicide prevention.

The underground PSD installation is almost complete. New ceiling trim is still missing from some stations.

KCR has also been considering gates at its East Rail stations. I think putting them on MOS rail would be good, too, but I think KCR will want to wait until demand rises and put the optimal number of doors.
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:45 AM   #1472
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

True, but why didnt they just install them when they were building the station?
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:04 AM   #1473
allurban
All Urban

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchan7
Half-height gates are not approved yet, still being "considered." So far I have not heard of any official plan to implement them throughout the network.
I have seen half height gates on the Tung Chung Line, as well as on the new Disney line....no chance to see the KwunTong line tho.

This was at the beginning of May 06.

Cheers, m
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:09 AM   #1474
superchan7
EOS 40D

My mistake, I meant retrofitting such gates onto the rest of the network. Yes, the only two stations that have them are Sunny Bay and Disneyland. They came equipped with them.
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #1475
allurban
All Urban

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchan7
My mistake, I meant retrofitting such gates onto the rest of the network. Yes, the only two stations that have them are Sunny Bay and Disneyland. They came equipped with them.
My view is that they are helpful alternatives to the full PSD...

A major advantage of the PSG is that they can reduce suicides by preventing people from standing close to the platform and/or behind the station wall...

Perhaps a full-height glass wall at the station wall entrance, plus the PSGs, would be an effective prevention measure...when a full PSD is not possible.

The Disney and Sunny Bay Stations also have a white-gloved, red shirted platform attendant who helpfully shoos you away from the PSG and back behind the yellow line.........

I suppose thats better than being cautioned by the fully armed security guard in the Bangkok Metro :p

Cheers, m
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #1476
AG

A new movie has been released, it's called "The Sound of MTR":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEs4yB63U5I&search=MTR

Old May 10th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #1477
hkth

MTR Press Releases:
MTR Sunny Bay Station Wins HKIA Annual Merit Award

MTR's Sustainability Report named one of the Best by ACCA
Old May 11th, 2006, 06:46 AM   #1478
dchengg
davidchengg

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG
A new movie has been released, it's called "The Sound of MTR":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEs4yB63U5I&search=MTR

that song was made by a Hong Kong radio station DJ and it really follows every single station
dchengg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 06:56 AM   #1479
dchengg
davidchengg

Likes (Received): 2

The screen doors were made maybe because to prevent people falling into the tracks. and plus.. what would the screen doors do to prevent from sars..
dchengg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:01 AM   #1480
Manila-X
PINOY MOD

Likes (Received): 2615

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchengg
The screen doors were made maybe because to prevent people falling into the tracks. and plus.. what would the screen doors do to prevent from sars..
SARS is gone in HK but god willing it won't happen again.

As for the PSDs, were there cases of people falling off the platform the past years before the PSDs were installed?

Representing The Pinoy Community here in SSC!
Manila-X no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hongkong, metro