daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 3rd, 2006, 09:34 AM   #1581
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

MTR Press Release:
Tung Chung Line Train Service Enhancement
hkth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 3rd, 2006, 01:10 PM   #1582
Rachmaninov

Likes (Received): 24

Tung Chung line will definitely get busier in the near future.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 07:01 PM   #1583
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninov
Indeed, especially with Disneyland now open.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 07:28 PM   #1584
Rachmaninov

It was open since last year, but then they are planning to expand and then the Ngong Ping 360 will open by mid-September I reckon.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 10:45 PM   #1585
stanleycup

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgadv02
When I was on the Tung Chung Line this summer, at least 75% of the people were going to Disneyland. I got on at Kowloon and it was no more than 10% full i would say. There were many empty seats and no one was standing. Then as we went to Lai King I saw a stampede of people from the Tsuen Wan Line from across. The train now was pretty full. There were no seats left and many people were standing. There were definitely a lot of kids on the train. It became so noisy. Then when I arrived at Sunny Bay, pretty much everyone who boarded at Lai King went across the platform for the Disneyland train. There were probably less people getting off at Tung Chung than the amount of people there were when I got on. I would say that it would get full from Lai King to Sunny Bay no matter at what hour.
stanleycup no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2006, 04:23 PM   #1586
hkth

MTR Press Release:
An Artistic Journey Begins at MTR Tsing Yi Station
Old September 6th, 2006, 02:27 AM   #1587
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachmaninov
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgadv02
Right, but I thought Ocean Park's attendance exceeded Disneyland in recent months due to increased advertisements and newer attractions. I went on the Sunday before school started and it was swarming with people. However, OP still needs major improvements in management and crowd control.
Old September 7th, 2006, 03:11 AM   #1588
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere
Right, but I thought Ocean Park's attendance exceeded Disneyland in recent months due to increased advertisements and newer attractions. I went on the Sunday before school started and it was swarming with people. However, OP still needs major improvements in management and crowd control.
Those crowds are mainly from mainland China though, not crowds from HK. I believe OP is doing the renovation in 8 phases instead of 2 now.
Old September 7th, 2006, 05:28 PM   #1589
Rachmaninov

Quote:
Yes but I was referring to the opening of the Ngong Ping 360 which conveniently links Tung Chung to Po Lin Monastry.
Old September 8th, 2006, 12:08 PM   #1590
officedweller

Likes (Received): 98

Something I didn't know about wrt MTR stations. Which stations does this apply to?

One of the best examples of rapid transit interchanges made quick and efficient for the passengers is the Hong Kong MTR system. Where two subway lines meet, often these lines run parallel for two continuous stations, unlike most North American interchange points. At the first station trains in opposing directions from each line meet at an adjacent platform, allowing passengers to simply walk across the centre platform to exchange to the other line. At the second station one line swaps levels, allowing transferring passengers traveling in the same direction to simply walk across the centre platform. No level or platform changes are needed for transferring in any direction.

Old September 8th, 2006, 02:08 PM   #1591
AG

Likes (Received): 545

The stations that serve as above are:

Mongkok: Interchange from the Tsuen Wan Line northbound to Kwun Tong Line northbound, and from the Kwun Tong Line southbound to Tsuen Wan Line southbound.

Prince Edward: Interchange from the Tsuen Wan Line southbound to Kwun Tong Line northbound, and from the Kwun Tong Line southbound to Tsuen Wan Line northbound.

Lai King: Interchange between both Tsuen Wan Line northbound and Tung Chung Line westbound, and between both Tsuen Wan Line southbound and Tung Chung Line southbound.

Admiralty: Interchange from Tsuen Wan Line westbound to Island Line eastbound, and from the Island Line westbound to the Tsuen Wan Line northbound.

North Point: Interchange from Island Line eastbound to Tseung Kwan O Line eastbound, and from the Tseung Kwan O Line westbound to Island Line westbound.

Quarry Bay: Interchange from Island Line westbound to Tseung Kwan O Line eastbound, and from the Tseung Kwan O Line westbound to Island Line eastbound. No cross platform interchange available here, only via long cross passages and escalators.

Yau Tong: Interchange from Kwun Tong Line eastbound to Tseung Kwan O Line westbound, and from Tseung Kwan O Line eastbound to Kwun Tong Line westbound.

Tiu Keng Leng: Interchange from Kwun Tong Line eastbound to Tseung Kwan O Line eastbound, and from Tseung Kwan O Line westbound to Kwun Tong Line westbound.

Sunny Bay: Interchange from Tung Chung Line westbound to Disneyland Resort Line southbound only.

Last edited by AG; September 12th, 2006 at 12:43 PM.
AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 02:02 AM   #1592
herenthere
I♥H.K.

A great example that should be adopted in all of the world's new stations.
Old September 10th, 2006, 07:38 PM   #1593
aznichiro115

Likes (Received): 13

you forgot Admiralty, and central is kinda one, but isn't cross platform
aznichiro115 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2006, 07:55 PM   #1594
Rachmaninov

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller
Something I didn't know about wrt MTR stations. Which stations does this apply to?

One of the best examples of rapid transit interchanges made quick and efficient for the passengers is the Hong Kong MTR system. Where two subway lines meet, often these lines run parallel for two continuous stations, unlike most North American interchange points. At the first station trains in opposing directions from each line meet at an adjacent platform, allowing passengers to simply walk across the centre platform to exchange to the other line. At the second station one line swaps levels, allowing transferring passengers traveling in the same direction to simply walk across the centre platform. No level or platform changes are needed for transferring in any direction.

I think it's Prince Edward (right) and Mongkok (left) stations.
Old September 10th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #1595
Rachmaninov

To be clearer, the Red line is Tsuen Wan line while the green one is Kwun Tong line. The right hand direction is North.
Old September 11th, 2006, 01:56 AM   #1596
AG

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznichiro115
you forgot Admiralty, and central is kinda one, but isn't cross platform
Admiralty is listed above. Central has absolutely no cross platform interchanges. The Tsuen Wan Line platforms are located in a different section of the station from the Island Line platforms, and each of the Island Line platforms are on different levels, one stacked on top of the other.
Old September 12th, 2006, 12:19 AM   #1597
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Actually, you cant transfer from the Island Line to Tseung Kwan O line at Quarry Bay across platform. Instead you have to go down escalators, walk, escalators, walk some more, and then reach the platform. Probably not enough room.
Old September 12th, 2006, 05:25 AM   #1598
officedweller

Likes (Received): 98

Thanks for the info
Old September 12th, 2006, 12:44 PM   #1599
AG

Quote:
Actually, you cant transfer from the Island Line to Tseung Kwan O line at Quarry Bay across platform. Instead you have to go down escalators, walk, escalators, walk some more, and then reach the platform. Probably not enough room.
I thought it didn't seem right, because both Island Line platforms are on the same level, as are the two Tseung Kwan O Line platforms. IIRC, the Tseung Kwan O Line platforms are on the lower level so that it can access the Eastern Harbour Crossing.
Old September 13th, 2006, 06:43 PM   #1600
hkth

KCRC Press Release:
KCRC invites expressions of interest for TW7 property development project at Tsuen Wan West Station

--Note: GFA stands for Gross Floor Area.

Tags
hongkong, metro