daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2006, 07:05 PM   #1601
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

MTR Press Release:
MTR Brings You Closer to Local Chinese Festivals and Customs
hkth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 23rd, 2006, 02:34 AM   #1602
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

More MTR stations showcase young artists
21 September 2006
South China Morning Post

The work of young artists will be shown at a further 10 MTR stations as the rail network expands its array of community art galleries.

Work from children studying at schools near stations on the Island line will be displayed in the new galleries.

The first batch of artwork - by six Primary Three to Primary Six students from Victoria Shanghai Academy - will be showcased at Wan Chai station.

One of youngsters, nine-year-old Lee Lok-ching, painted a train against the backdrop of a castle.

"My work is about a train taking families to a theme park and they have a great time there. I am so happy to see my drawing displayed here, I will invite my parents and friends to come and see my work," she said.

Her schoolmate Roy Ng Wing-long, 8, was very excited at being chosen. "I am so glad that I am one of the six. I spent two hours to finish my work. I think MTR trains are really pretty and I tried to use as many colours as possible to make my train colourful," he said.

"I like drawing very much, though I am still not sure if I want to be a painter when I grow up."

Speaking at a launch ceremony yesterday, the school principal Yung Ying-cheuk said showing children's paintings in public areas helped boost their confidence and enhanced self-development.

"Many schools are very keen about the programme and they have to wait for months before their students can have their pictures displayed at train stations," he said.

The 10 new galleries are at Sheung Wan, Wan Chai, Tin Hau, Fortress Hill, North Point, Quarry Bay, Tai Koo, Sai Wan Ho, Shau Kei Wan and Chai Wan stations, bringing the total number of rail galleries to 32. The first was set up at Lam Tin station in 2000.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 02:35 AM   #1603
hkskyline
Hong Kong

MTR arsonist's appeal denied
21 September 2006
South China Morning Post

A court yesterday dismissed an appeal application by a 68-year-old man jailed for life for setting fire to an MTR train last year.

Yim Kam-chung, who defended himself in the dock yesterday, told three Court of Appeal judges the police had framed him by placing burnt tubes they found at the crime scene in his flat.

He argued the MTR ticket seized by officers showing that he had entered but not exited the railway was not his.

Yim said the suspect the police originally tried to hunt down was "fat, short, bald and in his 50s".

"I was not fat, not short, not bald, and I am 68," he said. "They have made a big mistake."

He also said the police were initially looking for somebody with a burnt leg. "My leg was not burnt, why was I not released?"

He argued that closed-circuit television images were not clear enough to prove that he left his building on January 5 last year and returned home a day after.

Yim, who ignited a bottle of solvent on a train just after it left Tsim Sha Tsui station for Admiralty, was given what is believed to be the harshest sentence ever handed down for arson in Hong Kong. It will be reviewed after 10 years.

He told the court during the trial that he wanted to "cause a tragedy" because the government confiscated six of his model motor vehicles. No one was injured in the incident.

He claimed yesterday that the 45 witnesses in the trial gave false evidence for cash.

"Even a three-year-old could catch a limping old man like me," he said. "If I was really at the scene, why did none of the 45 witnesses manage to catch me?"

Mr Justice Peter Cheung Chak-yau dismissed Yim's appeal against both the conviction and sentence after the half-hour hearing. He said he would give written reasons for the decision later.

As Yim was taken from the courtroom, he shouted: "I did not leave home. I did not start the fire."

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old September 26th, 2006, 02:03 AM   #1604
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Wow, but if he said he wanted to "cause a tragedy"- doesn't that prove he's guilty?
Old October 3rd, 2006, 09:02 PM   #1605
hkskyline
Hong Kong

HK MTR disinfected ahead of flu season

HONG KONG, Sept. 30 (Xinhua) -- A powerful new disinfectant is reported to be sprayed inside Hong Kong's MTR trains and stations ahead of this year's flu season.

From next week, Metro staff will begin spraying the nano silver-titanium dioxide coating on surfaces passengers often touch, such as grab poles inside the trains, escalator handrails and buttons on ticket machines, local media Saturday said.

The coating was introduced to last for three years and be able to kill a wide range of bacteria and viruses, but the effectiveness is to be under test.

The MTR Corp will also vaccinate its entire staff of 6,500 against flu and continue washing down trains and surfaces with a powerful bleach every night.

Old October 4th, 2006, 12:42 AM   #1606
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Something I didn't know about wrt MTR stations. Which stations does this apply to?

[i]One of the best examples of rapid transit interchanges made quick and efficient for the passengers is the Hong Kong MTR system. Where two subway lines meet, often these lines run parallel for two continuous stations, unlike most North American interchange points.
Unlike everywhere I think. Hong Kong is the only place where I saw that clever thing with two interchange stations in a row. Or is there any other city that has it?
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #1607
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro View Post
Unlike everywhere I think. Hong Kong is the only place where I saw that clever thing with two interchange stations in a row. Or is there any other city that has it?
Singapore. There are 3 examples.

1. NS26 City Hall Station & NS27 Raffles Place Station on the Red North South Line are two consecutive interchange stations that allow for cross platform transfer to the Green East West Line in both directions.

2. EW24 Jurong East Station on the Green East West Line is an interchange station that allow for cross platform transfer to the Red North South Line in one direction (since it is a terminal station).

3. EW4 Tanah Merah Station on the Green East West Line are interchange stations that allow for cross platform transfer to the Changi Airport Shuttle Service in one direction (since it is a terminal station).
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 02:34 AM   #1608
hkskyline
Hong Kong

New York has something along those lines. Interchanging lines share two ends of a platform.

Old October 7th, 2006, 02:18 AM   #1609
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Last edited by Skybean; October 7th, 2006 at 02:30 AM.
Skybean no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2006, 04:42 AM   #1610
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkskyline View Post
New York has something along those lines. Interchanging lines share two ends of a platform.
That's true, but interchanges are only between lines that go in the same direction. To change to a train going in the opposite direction would require a change of levels and platforms, always. HK usually has 2 consecutive stations in which one line "crosses over" to the other line going in another direction, removing the necessity to change levels.

And in NYC, you don't want to change levels- there are very few escalators and in the summer it gets stifiling and humid.
Old October 10th, 2006, 06:19 AM   #1611
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
That's true, but interchanges are only between lines that go in the same direction. To change to a train going in the opposite direction would require a change of levels and platforms, always. HK usually has 2 consecutive stations in which one line "crosses over" to the other line going in another direction, removing the necessity to change levels.

And in NYC, you don't want to change levels- there are very few escalators and in the summer it gets stifiling and humid.
34th st and 42nd st along the 1/2/3 platform....haha
Old October 19th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #1612
AG

Likes (Received): 545

Jordan Station during peak hour. Note the doors failing to close properly the first time on the first train, this commonly happens during busy times. Also note the relatively short amount of time between trains departing and arriving:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6NazE99hGA
AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 01:27 AM   #1613
herenthere
I♥H.K.

I love watching that and other MTR clips over and over again. I miss HK already...
Old October 22nd, 2006, 04:14 AM   #1614
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

This isn't that bad. If there is any clip taken from Admiralty, Yau Tong, or other major transfer point, you can see people run across the platform to chase the trian; and you can see how fast the platform can get filled up again.
Old October 31st, 2006, 07:00 PM   #1615
hkth

KCRC Press Release:
KCRC steps up inspection of large luggage
Old November 1st, 2006, 03:05 AM   #1616
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Bangkok Metro seeks HK's advice
31 October 2006
The Nation

Bangkok Metro Plc has contracted Hong Kong-based MTR Corp to study whether a Blue Line extension would affect the company's operations.

"We want to get ready in case the government decides to extend the Blue Line. If the government makes such a decision, we want to join in the bidding," said Sombat Kitjalaksana, managing director of BMCL which operates Thailand's first subway.

The subway is part of the Blue Line, running for 20 kilometres from Bang Sue to Hua Lamphong. Under consideration is the extension of the line from Bang Sue to Tha Phra for another 13km. The investment for the extension is estimated at Bt22 billion. An extension from Hua Lamphong to Bang Khae for another 14km at an estimated Bt44 billion is also planned.

According to Sombat, MTR has been commissioned to study whether the railway's operations would suffer any technical problem if the Blue Line were extended and whether the extension would affect the number of passengers.

Last week the National Economic and Social Advisory Board recommended the government first build the Red Line, from Don Muang to Phyathai, as that could be connected with the Airport Rail Link.

A source from BMCL said the Blue Line should be the first priority due to the high economic value.

Old November 1st, 2006, 04:57 PM   #1617
hkth

MTR Press Release:
MTR Extends Automatic Warnings To Reduce Escalator Accidents
Old November 2nd, 2006, 12:47 AM   #1618
herenthere
I♥H.K.

I don't think there is anything wrong with walking on escalators, just as long as you're holding onto the handrail.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 01:47 AM   #1619
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Does anyone know if they have officially changed the "closing door sound" to 20+ times on all lines or just on the Island line?
Old November 2nd, 2006, 04:42 AM   #1620
AG

Likes (Received): 545

Only the Island Line trains have them at the moment.

The odd thing about the "doors closing" beep is that it isn't well synchronised with the closing doors at all. Sometimes the doors have closed by the time beeping begins, or beeping ends, then the doors close seconds later.
AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hongkong, metro