daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 30th, 2006, 03:01 PM   #1641
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

MTR Press Release:
MTR CEO Mr C K Chow Renews Contract For Three Years
hkth no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:33 AM   #1642
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

I hope this development model won't spur other attempts to move traffic away from the street level. Causeway Bay has a legitimate case because the streets are overcrowded, but for other less busy areas, moving people indoors (above-ground or underground) may mean the end of streetlife in those areas.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 11:47 AM   #1643
hkth

KCRC Press Release:
Statement in response to a media report on the tunnel boring works for the KCR Kowloon Southern Link
Old December 5th, 2006, 01:47 PM   #1644
AG

Likes (Received): 545

Lam Tin to Kwun Tong: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlotAu3e9tc
AG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 03:10 AM   #1645
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

Old December 6th, 2006, 05:14 AM   #1646
hkskyline
Hong Kong

China: MTR Corp has begun a year-long trial of LED lighting
1 December 2006
Railway Gazette International

China: MTR Corp has begun a year-long trial of LED lighting developed by Hong Kong University of Science & Technology. Arrays of 56 LEDs have replaced fluorescent strips in a car used on the Tsuen Wan Line, and MTR hopes to achieve a 10% reduction in energy used for lighting.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old December 6th, 2006, 06:14 AM   #1647
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

It doesn't look good. They need to modify the coloring. It looks too blue, sterile, lifeless. The yellow needs to be emphasized like the old way.
Old December 7th, 2006, 12:34 AM   #1648
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Do you have any pictures that we could see?
Old December 13th, 2006, 06:05 AM   #1649
hkth

KCRC Press Release:
KCRC Depot Open Day

Open Day thread from HKiTalk
Old December 13th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #1650
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Security chief dismisses calls for women-only railway compartments
7 December 2006
South China Morning Post

Repeated calls for female-only compartments to protect women from being groped on trains have been rejected by the government.

Security chief Ambrose Lee Siu-kwong said yesterday the rail companies did not like the idea because it would interfere with the walk-through design of their carriages.

"There would be practical enforcement difficulties in controlling passengers moving between train compartments," he told legislators.

Mr Lee was responding to a question from Legco security panel chairman Lau Kong-wah of the Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong.

Mr Lee said both the MTR Corp and the Kowloon-Canton Railway Corporation had deployed staff to patrol the stations and help passengers, and closed-circuit television was also being used. He said that in the first 10 months of the year there had been 125 cases of indecent assault on public transport, a 10.1 per cent decrease on the same period last year.

Among those calling for segregated compartments is DAB legislator Choy So-yuk, who said that local operators could learn from Japan and Taiwan, where cars were being reserved for women in the morning and evening rush hours.

"Many women being indecently assaulted on public transportation dare not call out for help - they are just too scared of being insulted," Ms Choy said in a public appeal to the MTR Corp earlier this week.

Sha Tin district councillor Yeung Sin-hung, a convenor of the Hong Kong Women Development Association, said last month that segregated compartments also worked effectively in India and Mexico.

Ms Yeung was speaking as she petitioned outside the KCRC headquarters in Fo Tan for women-only compartments.

Security Bureau figures show that 13 people were convicted of indecent assault on public transport in the first six months of the year. The figures for 2005 and 2004 were 69 and 73.

According to police figures, in the first 10 months of this year, there were 58 reported cases of indecent assault on buses, 29 on the MTR, 19 on the KCR, and eight on public light buses.

Old December 26th, 2006, 10:13 AM   #1651
hkth

MTR Breaks its normal patronage achieves record for twice this month!

MTR Press Releases:
MTR Patronage Achieves Record High: Enhanced Service Planned for the Holidays

MTR Patronage Achieves Another Record High
Old December 26th, 2006, 10:17 AM   #1652
hkth

New Book for KCRC, major in Traditional Chinese with some English descriptions for each topic.

KCRC Press Release:
"KCR, Then and Now" published
Old December 26th, 2006, 05:35 PM   #1653
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkth View Post
MTR Breaks its normal patronage achieves record for twice this month!

MTR Press Releases:
MTR Patronage Achieves Record High: Enhanced Service Planned for the Holidays

MTR Patronage Achieves Another Record High
It's crazy enough a few days back when CWB station needed to be shutted down for a little bit to relief the pressure. Where do all these people come from?? Might be we need to run train every minute in the near future.
Old December 27th, 2006, 04:30 PM   #1654
sfgadv02

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
It's crazy enough a few days back when CWB station needed to be shutted down for a little bit to relief the pressure. Where do all these people come from?? Might be we need to run train every minute in the near future.
Tourist and people from the mainland maybe.....
Old December 27th, 2006, 09:55 PM   #1655
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
They shut a station down? Do you mean that they only didn't let ppl in or that no trains would stop?!?!
Old December 27th, 2006, 10:51 PM   #1656
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
They shut a station down? Do you mean that they only didn't let ppl in or that no trains would stop?!?!
Good question. I don't know, all I heard was "shutted down for a few minute." I guess it meant "stopped letting people enter the station," or even no train stopped it would be one or two trains at most I guess.

Back on 1 July, 2003 when Hong Kong had the huge demostration against the government, people flooded the CWB and Tin Hau stations; and MTR actually shutted down the two stations, no trains stopped at CWB and Tin Hau for hours that time. People had to worked to CWB from either Wan Chai or Fortress Hill.
So a station shutted down due to overcrowded had happened before.
Old December 28th, 2006, 06:28 PM   #1657
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Good question. I don't know, all I heard was "shutted down for a few minute." I guess it meant "stopped letting people enter the station," or even no train stopped it would be one or two trains at most I guess.

Back on 1 July, 2003 when Hong Kong had the huge demostration against the government, people flooded the CWB and Tin Hau stations; and MTR actually shutted down the two stations, no trains stopped at CWB and Tin Hau for hours that time. People had to worked to CWB from either Wan Chai or Fortress Hill.
Well, I've walked btwn stations before, MTR stations aren't that far apart anyway (check out Google Earth). And there are so many other transportation types in HK and really close to each other too, like trams, buses, vans...
Old December 29th, 2006, 03:31 AM   #1658
sfgadv02

Quote:

They also shutted down Wan Chai this year when people were protesting against the government around that area.
Old January 13th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #1659
hkskyline
Hong Kong

12 January 2007
Press Release
KCRC purchases the newest environmentally friendly buses

The Kowloon-Canton Railway Corporation (KCRC) always strives to provide environmentally friendly transport services. To ensure passengers can enjoy more comfortable journeys and to contribute to cleaner air in Hong Kong, KCRC purchases 20 new buses at a cost of about $55 million from Alexander Dennis Limited. The buses are fitted with EURO IV engines which meet the latest and the most stringent environmental standard KCRC is the first company in Hong Kong to introduce buses meeting this standard.

Chief Executive Officer, Ir James Blake of KCRC and Senior Director-Transport, Mr Y T Li, signed the contract with representatives of Alexander Dennis Limited today.

The new buses are fitted with MMI (Man-Machine Interface) and user’s friendly display to help the driver obtain the driving information more directly and effectively, thus further enhancing ride safety. The compartment is more spacious and equipped with coach style seating.

The first 9 double-deckers Alexander Dennis Trident Enviro 500 will be delivered to Hong Kong in mid November this year and will be put in service in early December. The other 11 single-deckers– Alexander Dennis Dart Enviro 200 will be delivered to Hong Kong in mid September 2008.

Old January 21st, 2007, 07:44 PM   #1660
Skybean
天豆

Likes (Received): 271

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Tags
hongkong, metro