daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 29th, 2007, 05:49 AM   #1721
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

Same, I don't really like the voice of mandarin announcement, but hey, at least they are much better than the one in KCR.....

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #1722
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Trilingual with a system that have trains coming every minute or 2 during rush hour is hard, I think.

They oughta reduce the number of languages (next to impossible) or shorten the message itself.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #1723
Chevin

Likes (Received): 1

I love the english cantonese madarin announcements... Don't know why really,lol. They've been there since they started so everyone's use to them anyway, as am i..
Old March 29th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #1724
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevin View Post
I love the english cantonese madarin announcements... Don't know why really,lol. They've been there since they started so everyone's use to them anyway, as am i..
No they haven't. Mandarin was added not long after 2000.
and I hate them for that :P
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:44 AM   #1725
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkth View Post
--C'mon, Pls CUT-OFF those STUPID Trilingual Announcment BEFORE the beeps!!!
I disagree. When I visited in 2005, I was overjoyed at how they used 3 languages in all announcements. In the US- where there are so many more ethnicities, good luck finding even bilingual announcements. I think HK's are kinda cool.

Now the extended chimes would be annoying-this I agree with.

And according to the press release, what is the tongue twister? "Tsing mut coh gun tzeh mun?" BTW, does anyone know an accurate site where I can translate English>Chinese; I don't have any writing software.
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:54 AM   #1726
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Who cares about Mandarin? What happened to 50 years of non change in the political and public spheres?

It's more of a political correctness issue. Why succumb to mainland power when you have at least 40+ years left of 'independance'.
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #1727
micro

Likes (Received): 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
And according to the press release, what is the tongue twister? "Tsing mut coh gun tzeh mun?" BTW, does anyone know an accurate site where I can translate English>Chinese; I don't have any writing software.
I guess you know http://babelfish.altavista.com already?

The following is supposed to describe all the announcements in HK:

Pre-recorded messages in Cantonese, Mandarin and English inside the train: "Tsing2 Mat6 Kau3 Gaun6 Tsae1 Mun4 – Qing3 Bu2yao4 Kao4jing3 Che1men2 – Please stand back from the doors [do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do-do]" (numbers denote tunes of syllable) before the doors close (ushb.net (.RM)). "Ha Yat Jaam: Tai Jee. Sing Hak Hoh Yee Juen Sing Tsuen Wan Seen Wong Tsuen Wan Yuen Tou Gok Jaam" (Cantonese). "Xia Yi Zhan: Tai Zi. Cheng Ke Ke Yi Huan Cheng Quan Wan Xian Qian Wang Quan Wan Yuan Tu Ge Zhan" (Mandarin). "Next station: Prince Edward. Interchange station for the Tsuen Wan Line towards Tsuen Wan" (English). ushb.net. Outside the train: "Tsing2 mat6 kau3 gaun6 yuet6 toi4 mok6 mun4 – ching bu yao kao jin yue tai mu men – Please stand back from the platform screen doors". (From http://mic-ro.com/metro/announcements.html .)

And a video with one of the announcements audible: http://video.google.com/*********?do...03406473&hl=en
micro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 03:12 AM   #1728
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_t View Post
Who cares about Mandarin? What happened to 50 years of non change in the political and public spheres?

It's more of a political correctness issue. Why succumb to mainland power when you have at least 40+ years left of 'independance'.
Tourists care about Mandarin. Half of the tourists as well as the tourism revenue in Hong Kong come from mainland China. It should be noted that even so, Mandarin announcements weren't included until just 2-3 years ago.

Nobody "ordered" Hong Kong to have Mandarin announcements in public facilities. Language and other wasteful name games belong to more politically unstable places, such as a certain island a few hundred miles away.

Why do non-English countries have English announcements in their train stations? Why do tourist areas have signs in Japanese? This is a reflection of reality, where the visitors are coming from.

Last edited by superchan7; March 30th, 2007 at 03:17 AM.
superchan7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #1729
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Either way, it just sounds sus to me that they did that. I'm a mainland sceptic. It's like to have the govt on your side to invest in mainland China, you have to bend over backwards, like ATV depicting proMainland instead of fairly balancing views with pro Democracy rallies. Sames goes for MTR, they have interest in mainland businesses, and they need to reflect that in their operations in HK as well to please the central govt.
Old March 30th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #1730
xeror

Likes (Received): 33

Second to hkth, I think MTR should cut the announcement before the beep sounds but keep all other announcements (e.g. Next Station: ...) including the Mandarin ones. The 20 beeps are enough to warn people for rushing into the train, and it can increase the efficiency during the peak hour.
xeror no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2007, 12:24 AM   #1731
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeror View Post
The 20 beeps are enough to warn people for rushing into the train...
That's exactly why MTR increased the 9 beeps to 20 beeps; so that people can run into the train rather than run into the screen door once s/he hears the beep goes. It is rather safer actually.

But it doesn't increase the efficiency. I would think the trilingal annocement of "Please stand back from the doors" gets started a litte earlier than it was to make up that few seconds. So the trains stop at the stations with the same time lenght as they were before. And during peak hours, the stations are packed that passengers can't even run for the train. It is more likely used during off-peak when there are room to run for the train.

Talking about multi-lingual announcement, three languages in Hong Kong aren't the most. Taipei MRT has three, too, Mandarin, Taiwanese and English. In GuangZhou, announcement are done in four languages (tetralingual?) including Mandarin, Cantonese, Tiabet and English. It was kind of too much.
So many thing with so little time. How many people are going to use Tiabet in GuangZhou?

Indeed, HKMTR did shortern the announcement by a bit when it added Mandarin in the system. The announcement for ""Next station: Prince Edward. Interchange station for the Tsuen Wan Line towards Tsuen Wan" used to be "The next station is Prince Edward. Passengers can transfer to Tsuen Wan Line towards Tsuen Wan at Plaform X." Same thing applied for Cantonese to make up the few extra second for Mandarin.
Old March 31st, 2007, 01:10 AM   #1732
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

As of 2005, Taipei MRT even has 4 languages: Mandarin, Taiwanese, Hakka, English. To me it smells like a political gimmick to make the govt. look like it cares about all ethnicities, also an excuse to add Taiwanese but also hide it from "de-Sinicization" suspicions.

Personally, I think the Chinese government has absolutely nothing to gain by enforcing Mandarin in Hong Kong. Most Beijing officials hardly understand the society of Hong Kong anyway. Almost nobody uses Mandarin regularly in HK, and expats seeking Mandarin curriculum for their children even complain about the utter LACK of Mandarin education available (see www.batgung.com).

Therefore, my conclusion is that the only beneficiaries are the mainland tourists, who DO indeed complain about the Mandarin-unfriendliness of Hong Kong. Any political interference would simply make the Chinese govt. reek of backwards thinking and Communist-era propaganda.

I agree with the door warnings. Just make some better beeps and get rid of the announcements.
Old March 31st, 2007, 05:30 PM   #1733
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricIsHim View Post
Talking about multi-lingual announcement, three languages in Hong Kong aren't the most. ... In GuangZhou, announcement are done in four languages (tetralingual?) including Mandarin, Cantonese, Tiabet and English. It was kind of too much.
So many thing with so little time. How many people are going to use Tiabet in GuangZhou?
That AREN'T any Tiabetian annoucement in GZ's Metro! GZ and Shenzhen metros are the same as HK, but the order is in Mandarin, Cantonese and English.

Last edited by hkth; March 31st, 2007 at 05:53 PM.
hkth no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #1734
hkth

KCRC Press Release:
100% Red Visual Arts Exhibition at "KCR Art Corner"
Old April 8th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #1735
hkth

Photo links within the HK Place:
Old Beacon Hill Tunnel, abandoned since 1981, now used for Towngas Pilelines

Railway Bridge built in Stone, around Sha Tin
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #1736
sfgadv02

Likes (Received): 44

hkth, do you know what they are doing on the hill just before the train heads for the tunnel to Kowloon Tong?
Old April 9th, 2007, 06:19 AM   #1737
hkth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfgadv02 View Post
hkth, do you know what they are doing on the hill just before the train heads for the tunnel to Kowloon Tong?
I dunno, but I'm sure they've walked the Cornwall St Park.
Old April 12th, 2007, 02:58 AM   #1738
hkth

MTR and KCRC Press Release:
Around 80% in Public Opinion Survey Support the Rail Merger and Accept Fare Reduction Proposal
Old April 12th, 2007, 03:01 AM   #1739
hkth

MTR and KCRC Press Release:
Around 80% in Public Opinion Survey Support the Rail Merger and Accept Fare Reduction Proposal
Old April 12th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #1740
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

It's going to take a lot of wrangling, and hence time, to sort out a merger.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
hongkong, metro