daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 24th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #161
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by huaiwei
You dont judge distances by counting stations. The 30.8km Tung Chung Line has just 7 stations, for example....not to mention the Airport line.

If you really want to compare:

Singapore:

Noth-South Line: 44 km
East-West Line: 45.4 km
Northeast Line: 20 km
Total: 109.4 km, 65 stations.

I have not included the LRT systems in the figures yet.

Finally, whats so wierd about that big hole in the middle? Isnt the hole in Singapore much more obvious and seemingly odd, except that Singaporeans obviously know why it is configured that way? Just go pick up a topographical and landuse map of Hong Kong and the same reasons will suffice!
Counting by stations is easier IMO, more of a rough guide to know how accessible the network is, but I did not mean that is the actual way of measuring how extensive a network is....

With inclusion of the KCR East & West lines, HK's is more extensive...

Yah, that's why for a person who does not know anything about the topography its indeed a weird shape...but once you know it obviously it makes sense...
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:33 PM   #162
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignoramus
Okay I was mostly referring to the station names of:
PW7 - Soo Teck
PW1 - Sam Kee

It just sounds weird cause it seems to be the name of someone rather than location, and Singapore's MRT/LRT stations are usually named after locations... but anyways thats just a personal opinion, needs some getting used to.
Haha....I suppose you find Yishun weird also cause thats someone's name too???
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:34 PM   #163
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
If you go by those stats Singapore's MRT system is longer at 51 Stations...But don't forget they have the KCR and it is not included in the stats............................ and even it it was since its 2002 it doesn't include the new KCR Station Nam Cheong...

Saw this comment made by EricIsHim in another thread.......he said somethign like the HK system map looks funny...I agree...a big hole in the middle of HK island etc....For a person like me who doesn't know the geography it is funny, like almost as if that area is jinxed...

Theres a hole because Hong Kong is very mountainous. That area are all mountains. Just look at the skyline photographs of HK and you will know.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #164
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
I like the names for HK's MTR and KCR stations, very funky....Cantonese is a funky dialect........eg ''Kowloon, Tsim Cha Tsui is my favourite, Tung Chung, Central is very nice too''. I don't like ''Lai King though''. No offence to these names, just a general impression.... Sounds like a mix of chinese and english...

The new names on Punggol LRT in Singapore are horrible....and we thought the names on Bukit Panjang LRT & Sengkang LRT are horrible enough....

I like the HK MTR's following station names:

Admiralty
Central
Tai Koo
Prince Edward
Diamond Hill
Fortress Hill
Sheung Wan
Wan Chai
Causeway Bay
Chai Wan
Olympic
Jordan
Tsing Yi
Tsuen Wan
Quarry Bay
Kowloon Bay
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:39 PM   #165
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystan03
Haha....I suppose you find Yishun weird also cause thats someone's name too???
Actually the name of the person is Nee Soon. But anyways like I said you just need to get used to the name....and it also depends on how the automated announcements sound like when they prounounce the station...since i don't know how its like now the pronounciation in my head sounds bad....
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #166
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Likes (Received): 1830

Quote:

And in all my years of using the magnetic card, I experience far less instances of stuck cards then havin error messages using the ezlink card in such a relatively brief period!

yup.....magnetic cards rarely have errors but when it does....its kinda troublesome. For contactless cards....its simple - just tap it again!

I had the privilege to have seated next to the entrance of the bus on a long journey by bus at HK where almost everyone uses Octopus. I noticed that even on Octupus.....it frequently have errors (mine didn't luckily). But these people are so used to it that they just retapped it almost subconciously!

One very good senario that Ignoramous had pointed out - rain! I wouldn't wanna get wet while boarding the bus (esp our tropical torrential rain which could get thru the narrowest gaps)
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:41 PM   #167
ignoramus

Out of your list I likeAdmiralty
Central ##################################
Tai Koo
Prince Edward #
Diamond Hill #
Fortress Hill #
Sheung Wan
Wan Chai #
Causeway Bay #
Chai Wan #
Olympic #
Jordan #
Tsing Yi #
Tsuen Wan #
Quarry Bay #
Kowloon Bay #

actually i like them all....tai koo is nice but because it reminds me of something else it spoils the name...but it sounds unique.....
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:42 PM   #168
babystan03
More excitment ahead!!!

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Actually the name of the person is Nee Soon. But anyways like I said you just need to get used to the name....and it also depends on how the automated announcements sound like when they prounounce the station...since i don't know how its like now the pronounciation in my head sounds bad....
Emm.....Yishun is the chinese pronouciation while Nee Soon is in dialect.....so both should be correct....
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:43 PM   #169
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by zergcerebrates
Theres a hole because Hong Kong is very mountainous. That area are all mountains. Just look at the skyline photographs of HK and you will know.
I always thought the mountains/Central were on the mainland.....that's why I thought why would there be a hold on the Island... misconception...
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:44 PM   #170
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
I am refering to stored value tickets. Magnetic cards gives u a paper receipt for each bus trip you take. Do ezlink cards give you that option?
I dunno about EZLink but Touch N Go's E-Statement allows you to print your past transactions ( useful for those who wants to do claims ).
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:46 PM   #171
ignoramus

Quote:
Originally Posted by szehoong
yup.....magnetic cards rarely have errors but when it does....its kinda troublesome. For contactless cards....its simple - just tap it again!

I had the privilege to have seated next to the entrance of the bus on a long journey by bus at HK where almost everyone uses Octopus. I noticed that even on Octupus.....it frequently have errors (mine didn't luckily). But these people are so used to it that they just retapped it almost subconciously!

One very good senario that Ignoramous had pointed out - rain! I wouldn't wanna get wet while boarding the bus (esp our tropical torrential rain which could get thru the narrowest gaps)
Magnetic cards don't have errors when you use it. The only error comes when the machine itself with moving parts break down...

Yah that rain thing is true....
this is totally non ezlink related but its like when you want to board a bus in thh rain and the person in front of you stands at the entrance to the bus closing the umbrella and you are stuck in the rain because you can't move back as people are rushing to get on the bus...and you can't move in front either...
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:48 PM   #172
szehoong
M O D E R A T O R

Quote:
Out of your list I likeAdmiralty
Central ##################################
Tai Koo
Prince Edward #
Diamond Hill #
Fortress Hill #
Sheung Wan
Wan Chai #
Causeway Bay #
Chai Wan #
Olympic #
Jordan #
Tsing Yi #
Tsuen Wan #
Quarry Bay #
Kowloon Bay #

actually i like them all....tai koo is nice but because it reminds me of something else it spoils the name...but it sounds unique.....

I dunno but as a native Cantonese speaker.....all station names sounds much nicer to me....yea.....most can be pretty crappy in English

I find a lot of MRT and LRT station names - esp those translated ones weird. Even Ang Mo Kio sounds weird.
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:50 PM   #173
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Counting by stations is easier IMO, more of a rough guide to know how accessible the network is, but I did not mean that is the actual way of measuring how extensive a network is....

With inclusion of the KCR East & West lines, HK's is more extensive...

Yah, that's why for a person who does not know anything about the topography its indeed a weird shape...but once you know it obviously it makes sense...
Easier perhaps, but certainly relatively ambigious. I wont use the number of stations as a measure of extensiveness in rail tansportation. Rather, I prefer to take into account the catchment sizes per station, including by population sizes as well as surface area. It is much more complicated then counting stations alone.

Even if we do really want to count stations alone (interchange stations counted as one)...

Hong Kong
MTR: 51 Stations (plus airport)
KCR: 21 stations
Total: 72 Stations

Singapore
MRT: 65 Stations
LRT: 18 Stations
Total: 83 Stations

For Singapore's figures, I am excluding 2 MRT and 22 LRT stations which have been completed and are scheduled for opening pending development in surrounding areas.

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
huaiwei no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:51 PM   #174
ignoramus

Quote:
I dunno but as a native Cantonese speaker.....all station names sounds much nicer to me....yea.....most can be pretty crappy in English

I find a lot of MRT and LRT station names - esp those translated ones weird. Even Ang Mo Kio sounds weird.
CANTONESE SOUNDS GREAT IN WHATEVER WAY..I like it, too bad I don't speak it...

I really like the cantonese announcements on MTR....I am starting to like the english ones too...

I dont like the chinese ones. reminds me of the voice of the audio tape that is played during my chinese language listening comprehension paper.
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:52 PM   #175
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
I dunno about EZLink but Touch N Go's E-Statement allows you to print your past transactions ( useful for those who wants to do claims ).
Yeah...I mentioned we can..but we have to pay for the printing. What the fish! Since when are consumers made to pay for proof of transactions!

"My Settlement of Singapore continues to thrive most wonderfully - it is all and everything I could wish and, if no untimely fate awaits it, promises to become the Emporium and the pride of the East" - Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, 10th September 1820
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:54 PM   #176
ignoramus

Quote:
Easier perhaps, but certainly relatively ambigious. I wont use the number of stations as a measure of extensiveness in rail tansportation. Rather, I prefer to take into account the catchment sizes per station, including by population sizes as well as surface area. It is much more complicated then counting stations alone.

Even if we do really want to count stations alone (interchange stations counted as one)...

Hong Kong
MTR: 51 Stations (plus airport)
KCR: 21 stations
Total: 72 Stations

Singapore
MRT: 65 Stations
LRT: 18 Stations
Total: 83 Stations

For Singapore's figures, I am excluding 2 MRT and 22 LRT stations which have been completed and are scheduled for opening pending development in surrounding areas.
Yah, no of stations are just a rough guide....I don't expect to depend on it otherwise...

KCR also has light rail. I have an impression that there are perhaps more than 30 stations in HK. could be wrong...
Old August 24th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #177
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:
Nee Soon is his Hokkien name. Yishun is the Mandarin one. What is the difference? It is still the name of a person!

And this isnt the only case too. Aljunied and Eunos are also the names of families, for instance....and how about Raffles Place?

Old August 24th, 2004, 12:55 PM   #178
ignoramus

Quote:
Yeah...I mentioned we can..but we have to pay for the printing. What the fish! Since when are consumers made to pay for proof of transactions!
Use the printer to print the info online at the ezlink site.......Though its brief, it at least allows you to know how much you spent...
Old August 24th, 2004, 01:05 PM   #179
huaiwei
The Monkey King

Quote:

Hmm...what exactly you mean by "translated" station names?

Anyway, given Singapore's multi-ethnic configuration, and the fact that there are stil more Hokkien then Cantonese speakers here, it is no surprise that most Chinese place names are also in Hokkien or Mandarin in a few cases. Maybe Hokkian names just sound wierder?

Examples of Mandarin names:
Bishan
Hougang
Yishun

Examples of Hokkien names:
Ang Mo Kio
Boon Lay
Seng Kang
Toa Payoh

Examples of Malay names:
Bukit Merah
Eunos
Pasir Ris
Potong Pasir

Examples of English names:
Admiralty
Commonwealth
Queenstown
Woodlands

Hmm....not sure if there are any Indian names....is Sembawang qualified?

Old August 24th, 2004, 01:07 PM   #180
ignoramus

Quote:
Hmm...what exactly you mean by "translated" station names?

Anyway, given Singapore's multi-ethnic configuration, and the fact that there are stil more Hokkien then Cantonese speakers here, it is no surprise that most Chinese place names are also in Hokkien or Mandarin in a few cases. Maybe Hokkian names just sound wierder?

Examples of Mandarin names:
Bishan
Hougang
Yishun

Examples of Hokkien names:
Ang Mo Kio
Boon Lay
Seng Kang
Toa Payoh

Examples of Malay names:
Bukit Merah
Eunos
Pasir Ris
Potong Pasir

Examples of English names:
Admiralty
Commonwealth
Queenstown
Woodlands

Hmm....not sure if there are any Indian names....is Sembawang qualified?
The only indian name I know in the MRT/LRT system is Thanggam. Or perhaps thats the name of a tree. I don't know...

We should shift this discussion to the Singapore MRT/LRT Thread in case we annoy people who wish to talk about the HK MTR.

Tags
hongkong, metro