daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 2nd, 2007, 05:09 PM   #1921
EricIsHim

Likes (Received): 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Isn't Hello Kitty Japanese? Why does it keep popping up in China? Do they have the rights to it?
Yes, that's Hello Kitty.
Yes, Hello Kitty is a Japanese creation.
And it has been a very popular cartoon character in Hong Kong for decades.
Hello Kitty has been copyrigthed in HK, but MTR has the right to use the icon as long as the company purchase the copyright to use it, just like other cartoon.

And Japanese cartoon doesn't have to be just in Japan, it can be anywhere in the world. Like Mickey Mouse is worldwide popular.

Sponsored Links
Old August 2nd, 2007, 10:27 PM   #1922
iampuking

Likes (Received): 43

Yes I know that In the future can you not patronise me so much?

I thought the MTR was state controlled, therefore Hello Kitty would have to been owned by the state for it to be used. China hardly has the best record on adhering to internation copyright laws does it?
iampuking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2007, 10:40 PM   #1923
EricIsHim

I am sorry if you feel offensed.

Well, HK government has the largest stock share of MTR (about 75%), but it isn't a government operated/managed company. It's running similar to any private corporation.
The MTR corporation is always looking for ways to make profit and advertise itself.

And you are right China doesn't have any good record in copyright, I totally agree with that; but it's another story in HK where has very strong copyright laws which are followed and recongized in the business world.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 10:48 PM   #1924
iampuking

I don't know enough about the country to make much of a judgement, and to be honest I barely know anything about business either. Yet, funnily enough, I know that Hello Kitty is Japanese, and that it can be used throughout the world.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:06 PM   #1925
EricIsHim

Quote:
Originally Posted by iampuking View Post
Yet, funnily enough, I know that Hello Kitty is Japanese, and that it can be used throughout the world.
It's just about marketing and selling the right to replicate the cartoon figures. It really doesn't have anything to do with nationality to the figure alone.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:09 PM   #1926
herenthere
I♥H.K.

Likes (Received): 70

Chances are that in HK or any major country, a major corp. would not infringe copyrights with a major icon in a publicity campaign. Too risky!
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:34 PM   #1927
iampuking

Quote:
Originally Posted by herenthere View Post
Chances are that in HK or any major country, a major corp. would not infringe copyrights with a major icon in a publicity campaign. Too risky!
Are you sure?

Last edited by iampuking; August 2nd, 2007 at 11:47 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2007, 11:43 PM   #1928
iampuking

Companies are too afraid of China, because they rely too much on them for everything.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 12:44 AM   #1929
EricIsHim

herenthen was talking about companies in the more developed area like HK, Singapore, S Korea, Taiwan, Japan, US, Western Europe and so.

You've just said China is very weak in the copyright recognition. The theme park may be big in size, but doesn't necessary mean it's a big company.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 01:37 AM   #1930
iampuking

But it's state controlled as far as i'm aware.

I'm not saying that companies based in China are shifty, just ones that are controlled by the government.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 01:24 PM   #1931
hkth

Likes (Received): 25

MTR Press Release:
Free MTR Rides For The Elderly on Senior Citizens' Day
Old August 3rd, 2007, 02:35 PM   #1932
superchan7
EOS 40D

Likes (Received): 23

MTR Corp. is majority-owned by the HKSAR government, not the central government of the PRC.

That's a very big distinction that must be made. The Hong Kong Government would not attempt something as silly as copyright infringement.
Old August 3rd, 2007, 09:46 PM   #1933
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

MTR corp is not exactly a small company, they have negotiated some sort of terms with Sanrio (or whoever owns Hello Kitty) to use them in promotions. Sanrio is popular all over the region (East Asia), and Asian populations around much of the world as well.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #1934
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 18195

11.18長者免費搭地鐵
04/08/2007
太陽報

【本報訊】今年十一月十八日為「長者日」,當日長者將可免費搭地鐵!地鐵公司宣布,當日持有「長者八達通卡」的人士,除機場快線各站外,可免費乘搭地鐵到任何一個車站。地鐵公司發言人稱,公司欲藉此優惠向長者致敬,更希望市民可陪同長者一起搭地鐵,及安排活動和長者一同出外遊玩,在「長者日」和長者們一同享受溫馨的天倫之樂。

Translation summary : Seniors ride MTR free on 18 November (except Airport Express line) if they use a senior citizens Octopus card.

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2007, 02:50 AM   #1935
hkth

Gov't Press Release:
STH (Secretary for Transport and Housing) visits Lok Ma Chau Spur Line (with photos)
Old August 7th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #1936
hkskyline
Hong Kong

STOCK ALERT - Hong Kong's MTR Corp up slightly ahead of H1 results
6 August 2007

HONG KONG (XFN-ASIA) - MTR Corp was up slightly ahead of the release later today of its first-half to June results.

Dealers said its modest gain came amid the market's rebound after yesterday's sharp fall and in spite of a forecast by UBS that the railway operator may suffer a sharp drop in its first-half net profit.

MTR was up 0.08 hkd or 0.42 pct at 19.04.

UBS earlier forecast that MTR may report a 62.5 pct drop in its first-half net profit due to an expected reduction in the railway company's share of profits from joint venture property development projects.

The European house estimates that the Hong Kong railway operator's net profit before its property investment revaluation may come in at only 1.5 bln hkd, compared with 4.0 bln during the same period last year.

(1 usd = 7.8 hkd)

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #1937
hkth

MTR Press Release:
Announcement of Unaudited Results For The six months ended 30 June 2007
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #1938
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Property fall-off trims MTR profit by 48.1pc
Net drops to HK$4.07b despite strong rail service growth

8 August 2007
South China Morning Post

Transport provider MTR Corp reported a 48.1 per cent plunge in its underlying first-half profit as a sharp drop in property contributions erased growth in rail services.

Profit - excluding investment property revaluation net of deferred tax - declined to HK$2.05 billion from HK$3.94 billion in the same period last year. Net income taking into account those items fell 21.2 per cent to HK$4.07 billion.

Underlying profit was slightly ahead of the HK$1.75 billion median estimate of UBS, Goldman Sachs and BNP Paribas.

Profit from property developments fell 59.21 per cent to HK$1.66 billion, including a contribution from the soon-to-be-opened Elements shopping centre at Kowloon Station and residential projects on the Tung Chung rail line.

The decrease came as strong sales of flats on the Tseung Kwan O rail line in the same period last year were not repeated while the proceeds of sales at Le Point residential project at Tiu Keng Leng Station were expected to be booked in the second half of this year.

The MTR, which operates six subway lines and the Airport Express services, said the buoyant economy and stringent cost cutting drove up profit of its rail services and related business to HK$206 million from HK$37 million previously.

This was despite the fact that fares have remained the same for 10 years.

Chief executive Chow Chung-kong said a record number of passengers, up 2.6 per cent to 429 million on the main lines and up 7.2 per cent to 4.8 million on the Airport Express in the first half, sent fare revenue 3.5 per cent higher to HK$3.24 billion.

"The rail business will continue to benefit from the economic growth," Mr Chow said.

Turnover rose 6.3 per cent to HK$4.85 billion, partly due to a 12.4 per cent jump in rail-related operations such as advertising, telecommunications and leasing of commercial spaces.

Owing to expanded shop spaces and rent increases at MTR stations, turnover from station commercial business rose 9.5 per cent to HK$208 million.

At the same time, MTR shared less revenue from second-generation telecommunications operators, which charged lower tariffs. Turnover from the sector shrank 20.3 per cent to HK$110 million.

Finance director Lincoln Leong Kwok-kuen said property gains would drive second-half profit growth as about HK$1.1 billion in deferred income from property development would be realised in the 18 months to the end of next year.

Deferred income consists of non-refundable advance payments made by developers that buy land from the MTR. Initially, these are carried on the books as assets and realised as profit only as construction and sales on property developments permit.

In Shenzhen, MTR's six billion yuan subway-property development project was still pending National Development and Reform Commission approval, Mr Chow said.

Efforts by mainland authorities to curb ballooning property prices could delay approval to next year, some analysts said.

As the company prepares to fund its planned HK$12 billion merger with Kowloon-Canton Railway Corp, MTR kept the interim dividend the same at 14 HK cents per share.

A Thomson First Call poll showed a consensus of HK$5.46 billion for MTR's net profit this year. The stock fell eight HK cents, or 0.42 per cent, to close at HK$18.88 before the results announcement.

Old August 9th, 2007, 12:57 PM   #1939
hkth

KCRC Press Release:
KCRC welcomes Government’s announcement of post-merger Chairman and CEO
Old August 9th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #1940
hkth

MTR Press Releases:
MTR Welcomes Government's Announcement of Post-merger Chairman, CEO Top Management Team Also Named

Tags
hongkong, metro