daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 28th, 2005, 04:30 PM   #2001
Madman

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobDaBuilder

You can have the Olympics but not The Ashes!
I suppose thats the best support we can expect from an Aussie!
Madman no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2005, 04:48 PM   #2002
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60335

The dome is going to be used for gymnastics I think(If London get the olympics)... and it's not going to be knocked down, but developed as an arena of some sort
Old June 28th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #2003
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6819

Quote:
Coth, I don't think you get my point. But the way you make it sound is because some western nations make it tough for Russians to visit, Russia does it back. Not a great attitude don't you think? The reason could well be because they are afraid of illegal immigration from Russia and overstayers. That is why Australia makes it tough for citizens from the former USSR. Somehow doubt that Russia would have the same problem from western nations.

If you are going to stage Olympics the visitors who will be going will be from mainly the wealthy nations and they will not be attempting to remain in Russia so they can work for Rubles adn take Russian jobs. Also I cannot believe that they would be able to learn the language and get their heads around Cyrillic to even get near being able to hold down a job in Russia in the first place. So that blows that argument out of the water.
Again, since you don't see. Just few countries in the wolrd have access to UK, USA, France and Spain. And those are only first wolrd countries. People from most of countries in the world should have visa to visit this countries.

Quote:
Does that country have the moral right if it is recieving aid from other nations? I doubt that economic development loans given to Russia are to help her build stadia for an Olympics. That money should be spent on hospitals, improving roads, education, sorting out its beaurecratic problems and building systems to protect individuals properties and rights.
I suppose you know who is Michael Schumacher. I'm not of his fun, but there was interesting news few years ago about his relations with official Germany.
He lived in Austria as I remember, but German officials said him to pay all taxes. Then he said them, if they will pay him [few euros] payment for children he will pay all taxes.

Russia sending aids to other countries much more than receive.

Quote:
Glad to hear it, is this information from Russian government sources? You have to take what they say with a grain of salt. They are not the most honest organization. And yes, I know western governments also lie.
It was IMF that declared that Russia spend on social programs too much. It is one of reasons that makes gdp growth more slow.

Quote:
If that is true, then why are so many Russian's attempting to migrate to the west?

Russia should be with its natural wealth something like a Canada for living standards. Why isn't it? Well you tell me. I think Churchill put it best, "A conundrum wrapped inside a paradox."
Average PPP GDP per capita in Northern Ural is over $70000. In Northern Siberia over $20000. That are natural wealth regions.

And again. All this crap does not relates to Olympic games. Olympic games is Sport.

But. Yes, Russia, if taking entire federation into count, is poorest of all 5 countries. But Olympic games means high profits. So for Russia Olympic games will be more helpful than for other 4 countries.
Old June 28th, 2005, 07:23 PM   #2004
SDK4
Florida

Likes (Received): 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE9
The dome is going to be used for gymnastics I think(If London get the olympics)... and it's not going to be knocked down, but developed as an arena of some sort
I think the Mill. Dome is one of the coolest looking arenas in the whole world.
SDK4 no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #2005
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 4

I'm not trying to make an argument but I honestly think Madrid has a very small chance. It looks now like Paris and London are the main contenders and studies looking at how the IOC members will vote have put Paris at one point ahead of London or something similar. And BTW Butcher London has 3 million now who have backed the bid officially.
JDRS no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #2006
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Does anyone have any details of how the voting process actually works? I'v done a few web searches but I can't seem to find any details.

If they do the same as the WC and go though different rounds of voting with the weakest bid removed each time then how far they take that could have a massive impact. If you example the final vote is on the top 3 rather than the top 2 bids then whoever the 3rd place bid is could have a big effect on the outcome as certain IOC officals votes switch from their first to their second/third choice. Just guessing here but if politics come into it I'd say Newyork votes would be more likely to switch to London where as Madrid votes would be more likely to switch to Paris or vise versa.
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old June 28th, 2005, 10:58 PM   #2007
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nypost.com/news/regionalnews/49184.htm
ROOT, ROOT, ROOT FOR THE HOME TEAM

By TOM TOPOUSIS and STEPHANIE GASKELL
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
June 28, 2005 -- New York's Olympic dream heads into its final lap today as the city's bid boosters pack their bags and head off to Singapore after a City Hall rally that will include Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

In just eight days, the International Olympic Committee will meet to pick a city to host the 2012 Summer Games — either ending the city's quixotic bid or sending the Big Apple into a seven-year buildup for the world's largest sporting event.

Mayor Bloomberg, who leaves for Singapore later this week, will meet with Rice, the highest ranking White House official to appear here in person on behalf of the Olympic bid.

"We believe it is important to show that the U.S. government fully supports that candidacy," said State Department spokesman Steve Pike.

The IOC's 115 voting members will pick from New York, Paris, London, Madrid and Moscow on July 6, following 45- minute presentations earlier in the day from each of the cities. The decision will be announced at 7:45 a.m.

Already, an advance team from the city's bid committee, NYC 2012, is in Singapore.

Bid founder, Deputy Mayor Daniel Doctoroff, and executive director Jay Kriegel are due to depart tomorrow morning.

The city will have about 250 people, both support staffers and high-profile representatives and former Olympians, in the Far East city to put together the final presentation and lobby IOC members when possible.

A list of Olympic athletes traveling to Singapore on behalf of New York, including boxing great Muhammad Ali, will be released this week as the Big Apple tries to stir up some buzz for its bid.

Paris, the odds-on favorite, will be represented by President Jacques Chirac, who will make his nation's presentation personally before jetting off to Scotland to attend the Group of Eight economic conference.

British Prime Minister Tony Blair will also work the IOC crowd in Singapore, but won't be able to stay long enough to make the presentation.

Both Blair and Chirac will be in the air on their way to Scotland when a decision is announced.

New Yorkers will be able to track the city's progress in Singapore thanks to live broadcasts of the national presentations that will be carried on a JumboTron above the Rockefeller Center ice rink beginning at 9 p.m. July 5 and continuing until dawn.

Voting, behind closed doors will take place from 5:45 to 6:30 a.m. New York time, July 6, with a winner to be announced at 7:45 a.m.
Old June 29th, 2005, 01:02 PM   #2008
satit28
Rukpong

Likes (Received): 13

the voting is in july right????......
so close............
satit28 no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2005, 01:21 PM   #2009
Madman

Likes (Received): 39

Interesting, i'm sure this will have Manchester and Birmingham forumers furious as their bids were virtually ignored by the government.

Blairs launch joint effort to sway IOC vote
By Mihir Bose
(Filed: 29/06/2005)

Tony and Cherie Blair have mounted a joint campaign to personally woo members of the International Olympic Committee to secure the 2012 Games for London.

They are writing letters to members and setting up one-to-one meetings in Singapore where the vote on the candidate cities takes place next Wednesday.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that the Prime Minister first wrote to IOC members two weeks ago, but it was a general letter about the London bid.

A vision for 2012
Capital welcomes IOC
London 2012 Bid homepage

However, in the last couple of days he has followed this up with a much more personal letter, asking for a meeting with the IOC member in Singapore next week. Cherie has also written similar letters requesting a meeting and it seems the husband and wife team have divided up the IOC members between them.

The Blairs, who leave for Singapore on Sunday, are planning two hectic days of campaigning on Monday and Tuesday before they fly back to Britain in time for the G8 summit meeting at Gleneagles, which will be hosted by the Prime Minister.

It is not unusual for IOC members to be bombarded with letters from bidding cities in the days leading up to a vote. The contest for the 2012 Olympics has seen them receive letters from the Mayor of Paris, the Queen of Spain, arguing the case for Madrid, and some 30 letters from schoolchildren in New York. However, a letter from a Prime Minister requesting a meeting with an IOC member is rare and one told me: "I was surprised to receive the letter and it shows how much the British Prime Minister and his wife care about the bid."

Old IOC hands recall that this is in marked contrast to when Manchester bid for the 1996 Games. Then the bid leader, Bob Scott, had to work hard to persuade a dismissive Margaret Thatcher to even allow a Cabinet minister to accompany the Manchester bidding team to Tokyo where the vote was held. In contrast, the night before the vote, the American President personally rang each IOC member and this helped Atlanta win the 1996 Games, with Manchester eliminated early with five votes.

Although the Blairs are newcomers to Olympic politics, both have been keen on the bid with Cherie at one stage expressing an interest in becoming bid leader.

The Blairs got to know IOC members at the Athens Olympics last year and since then have worked hard to convince them that British failures of the past like Picketts Lock, when the Government reneged on a decision to build an athletics stadium for the 2005 World Athletics Championships, which are now due to be held in Helsinki in August, have been left behind. This time the Government are wholly committed to London staging the Games.

The London team see the campaign by the Blairs as crucial to success in Singapore and overturning any lead Paris, the front-runner, may have.

Yesterday as Lord Sebastian Coe, the bid leader, arrived in Singapore he was properly cautious saying: "We have a lot of work to do. We're taken very seriously, we're in good shape and looking forward to the day of decision."

The work Coe and his team will put in over the next week is on the presentation. With the race so close, presentations are considered important. They may not win the race but a bad presentation, like Salzburg's for the 2010 Winter Games, could lose it.

Meanwhile, the IOC announced details of how the result will be announced next Wednesday. This will be the IOC version of the Oscars ceremony, starting at 12.30pm London time when a master of ceremonies will introduce IOC members. Each bidding city will then show a clip of about a minute-and-a-half and then the master of ceremonies will introduce the IOC president, Jacques Rogge, who will open a sealed envelope and read out the name of the winning city.
Madman no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:01 AM   #2010
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/loca...p-276529c.html
Condi's can-do on city Games bid

BY MICHAEL SAUL and DAVID SALTONSTALL
DAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAU

Secretary of State Rice lent her star power to the country's 2012 Olympic bid yesterday, saying New York has always been a "comeback city" that will once again top the world.

"If there is any message in the Olympics, it is that it doesn't matter where you come from - you can achieve your dreams if you work hard," said Rice. "And that's what this city represents."

Rice spoke in City Hall with Mayor Bloomberg at her side just eight days before the International Olympic Committee is set to meet in Singapore to decide which city will host the 2012 Games.

New York is generally thought to be running third, behind Paris and London, although some oddsmakers also favor Madrid over New York. Moscow consistently trails in fifth.

But Deputy Mayor Dan Doctoroff, the bid's chief champion, insisted yesterday the race was wide open - and noted that so-called experts have picked the wrong city in seven out of the last nine Olympic selections.

"I think everyone is going to be very, very surprised by what happens in Singapore, so stay tuned," said Doctoroff, who leaves for the Asian country tonight.

Independent Olympic trackers were more skeptical, saying that although the city quickly developed a new Olympic stadium plan in Queens - after Bloomberg's proposal for a Manhattan stadium imploded - time may have run out.

Hoping to generate a little Olympic fever, officials held a rally yesterday in City Hall Park with former gold medalists Bob Beamon and Oksana Baiul.

The city's bid committee also announced that the public is invited to Rockefeller Plaza on Tuesday night to watch a live broadcast of the city's bid presentation, followed by the IOC's decision sometime early Wednesday.

President Bush will not be going to Singapore, unlike French President Jacques Chirac, British Prime Minister Tony Blair and Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero. But Rice and Bloomberg dismissed any notion that Bush is staying behind because of his unpopularity abroad, saying no U.S. President had ever attended an IOC meeting.

Originally published on June 29, 2005
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:56 AM   #2011
Yankee BOY
Thats my wife Aaliyah.

Likes (Received): 1

Old June 30th, 2005, 04:36 AM   #2012
kony

Likes (Received): 1241

i love the NYC's logo...very symbolic...but i never realize what was inside the first pix in the red part...

is it a man with a gun ???? that's not the real logo right ??

edit: ok i got it now, the red part is not in the official logo !

Last edited by kony; June 30th, 2005 at 04:50 AM.
kony no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2005, 05:26 AM   #2013
Siopao
レジスタドユーザー

Likes (Received): 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee BOY
HAHAHA I guess the red part symbolizes that NYC still has a big potential of terrorism.

but then i still am rooting for NYC.
Siopao no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2005, 06:52 AM   #2014
NavyBlue
Under Construction

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman
Interesting, i'm sure this will have Manchester and Birmingham forumers furious as their bids were virtually ignored by the government.
LONDON, LONDON, LONDON...Unfortunately thats how the rest of the world views England and it's not helped by your government's obvious bias towards the capital. There are some wonderful cities in England but apart from soccer teams, most people don't know much about them.
NavyBlue no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2005, 07:31 AM   #2015
touraccuracy
expo

Likes (Received): 0

What is currently there?
touraccuracy no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2005, 07:39 AM   #2016
crazyjoeda
Mac User

Likes (Received): 6

I hope London, but im sure it will be Paris. NYC and Moscow are out of the question.
Old June 30th, 2005, 08:56 AM   #2017
Butcher

Likes (Received): 3

I also think madrid may be out of it at this point also. I don't think they pulled through very well at the end.

When I walk through the shadow of the valley of death
I will fear no evil, cause I'm the biggest son of a bitch in the valley!

Best of Britain
Butcher no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2005, 12:44 PM   #2018
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 9

I think the recent attacks on possible 2012 Olympic sites by ETA in recent weeks has pretty much crippled the Madrid bid as much as New York's bid has been crippled by the Jets Stadium fiasco.
nick_taylor no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2005, 01:42 PM   #2019
IGH

Likes (Received): 66

Paris!

IGH no está en línea  
Old June 30th, 2005, 01:56 PM   #2020
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1490

Quote:
Originally Posted by touraccuracy
What is currently there?
The Lower Lea Valley

The Lower Lea Valley is the largest remaining regeneration opportunity in inner London.

It runs north-south from Stratford to Canary Wharf and is situated just three miles from Central London, taking in parts of the London Boroughs of Hackney, Tower Hamlet, Newham and Waltham Forest. It is well served by bus rail and tube connections.

In total, the Lower Lea Valley covers an area of the around 1,500 areas.

The area is characterised by large area of the derelict industrial land as well as poor housing. Much of the land is fragmented and divided by waterways, overhead pylons, roads, the London Underground Network and heavy rail lines.

It is also one of the most deprived communities in the UK and among the worst public health records. Unemployment is high, running at 35% on some estates, skills levels are low. The area has one of the highest levels of black and ethnic minority populations in the capital.

Regeneration of the area is crucially important to tackling poverty, unemployment, lack of basic skills and poor health.

And its all going....if we get the olympics of not.

This is the current site (dont know how old)

Groundwork has already started on the site as you can see, and the Channel Tunnel Rail Link is well underway on the site.

http://www.lda.gov.uk/server/show/ca...01002001001002
Click here for more pics..

There is even a Illustrative Legacy Masterplan, which shows the site in 2014

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016