daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 30th, 2005, 06:36 PM   #2021
Lares

Likes (Received): 19773

My vote is for NY
Lares está en línea ahora  

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #2022
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 4

From BBC NEWS

London eyes Spanish 2012 alliance

Officials from London's team bidding to host the 2012 Olympic Games are seeking an alliance with rivals Madrid, according to reports.

London wants to secure the Spanish capital's votes should they be knocked out of the contest to host the Games.

The cities face favourites Paris, plus Moscow and New York, in Wednesday's International Olympic Committee vote.

It is said that contact has been made with senior Madrid figures as part of a strategy to capture key votes.

Although no formal deal is in place, it is suggested London would work to return the compliment should they suffer an early exit.

Bid experts believe Moscow and New York will be eliminated in the early rounds when IOC members make their choice in Singapore, leaving a three-way battle between Paris, London and Madrid.

Should Madrid be the next city to be knocked out, the way their votes then go will prove decisive - and the same would apply were London to be eliminated.

Some 100 of the 116 members will vote to begin with.

IOC president Jacques Rogge has decided to sit it out, Bulgarian Ivan Slavkov has been suspended following a BBC investigation and the 14 members from the five nations battling for hosting rights cannot take part until their city is eliminated.

It is understood London's backers have been attemoting to woo Juan Antonio Samaranch, the Spanish former IOC president.

He is the man credited with bringing the Games to Barcelona in 1992 and still still wields significant power among a section of IOC members.

His son Juan Antonio Samaranch Jr is a leading executive on the Madrid bid.

London 2012 bid chairman Lord Coe has known Samaranch senior since the 1980s when he was appointed by him to several Olympic commissions.

One senior London backer told the Press Association: "Madrid is the key to this whole contest.

"We know if they get knocked out that they cannot guarantee all their votes - and neither of course can London should we be knocked out - but if someone like Samaranch could then start working on our behalf it could prove decisive."

If Samaranch does throw his weight behind London as a second choice then he might want the favour repaid if his son stands for election as IOC president against Rogge in 2009.
JDRS no está en línea  
Old July 1st, 2005, 03:35 AM   #2023
EarlyBird

Likes (Received):

I look into the window of my mind. Reflection of the fears I've left behind. We're on our way. Can't stop us now.

Imagine the 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games in London.

Old July 2nd, 2005, 01:08 AM   #2024
Jamfocus

Likes (Received): 0

I'm still hoping it'll be London.

I know today the London team were sending a huge London 2012 out to the IOC which has been signed by over 300 famous people in the UK.

Tony and Cherie Blair are also said to be having last minute meetings with IOC members and they've divided them all between them. They've also wrote letters to them to give London the best chance possible.
Jamfocus no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2005, 05:16 AM   #2025
FAETON
Expert

Likes (Received): 1249

I enjoy when I see the poll in this thread. 41,67 % votes for Madrid.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 05:40 AM   #2026
Mekky II
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

IOC member : "me, i vote for cherie blair, she is surely the king at home !"

IOC member 2 : "nahhhh, me i would imagine well tony be the queen, arghhhhh the king of their house !"

How divide IOC members... Between a guy that knows nothing of olympic games and an uncultivated lady, there will be no winner.
Mekky II no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2005, 01:08 PM   #2027
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1490

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAETON
I enjoy when I see the poll in this thread. 41,67 % votes for Madrid.
Yeah....Then check how many people out of Spain voted for you.

When I last checked you had 30 votes and EVERY single one was from a spanniard.

I dont think I would be out of place in saying, London has more international votes than Madrid.

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2005, 05:14 PM   #2028
FAETON
Expert

There are more population in UK than Spain.
SSC is a international website, so anyone in any country in the world can vote in this poll. Internet is more extended in UK than Spain.

So, you are saying Spaniards supports Madrid more than the British people supports London in SSC poll. You are right, Eddyk. You must think about this.
Old July 2nd, 2005, 05:18 PM   #2029
FAETON
Expert

By the way, Eddyk. Do you know something about the critical report of Londonīs underground which it is been hidding? Is it true?
Old July 2nd, 2005, 09:12 PM   #2030
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
By the way, Eddyk. Do you know something about the critical report of Londonīs underground which it is been hidding? Is it true?
Is that the report that says the London Underground has no trains, track or stations and its just a great illusion conjured up in the greatest trick of all time?

Either way I doubt the poll here will actually show through as the IOC will vote this Wednesday.
nick_taylor no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2005, 09:27 PM   #2031
jiggawhat?

Likes (Received): 198

New York City FOR ME!
jiggawhat? no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2005, 09:49 PM   #2032
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1490

Quote:
So, you are saying Spaniards supports Madrid more than the British people supports London in SSC poll.
Nah, Im saying more people around the world want it in London than they do Madrid...according to this poll.

P.S
LOL Nick

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  
Old July 2nd, 2005, 10:25 PM   #2033
Mike19

Likes (Received): 26

MADRID MUST WIN. my second choice would be london but... paris tried twice and failed recenlty, and this is their third time. if london wins then the next time the games come to europe paris would surely get it, because the ioc isnt gonna let global city like paris not get the games 4 times in a row. So if madrid doesnt get the games now, they will be in a much better position to get them in the future if paris wins now, even though i really dont want paris to win.
Mike19 no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2005, 02:08 AM   #2034
FAETON
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-taylor
Is that the report that says the London Underground has no trains, track or stations and its just a great illusion conjured up in the greatest trick of all time?

Either way I doubt the poll here will actually show through as the IOC will vote this Wednesday.
Donīt worry about London underground. One month ago, a spanish company bought the majority of the stake from the company which has many lines of the London tube and all the problems will be solved.
Old July 3rd, 2005, 02:51 AM   #2035
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/loca...p-277368c.html
Hil will go to Games gathering

Helps Mike with pitch

By MICHELLE CARUSO
in Los Angeles
and MICHAEL SAUL
in Singapore
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

New York has a Plan B Olympic Stadium. And now, it has Plan B star power.
Sen. Hillary Clinton will travel to Singapore to help lobby the International Olympic Committee to award the 2012 Games to New York, marking a last-minute addition to the city's delegation, Mayor Bloomberg announced yesterday.

Clinton, New York's Democratic junior senator, will be the highest-level U.S. official to attend Wednesday's IOC meeting, adding some wattage to a delegation sorely lacking in political luminaries. Still, her 11th-hour addition to the roster raises questions about the level of desperation among New York officials.

As the Daily News first reported last week, President Bush will not be traveling to Singapore, even though New York's rival bid cities will have their heads of state in attendance, including Britain's Tony Blair and France's Jacques Chirac.

Asked if Clinton's sudden addition to the delegation roster was a sign of concern, Bloomberg, who was in Los Angeles attending the inauguration of Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, said, "Well, we're always worried. There are five great cities trying to get the Olympics."

"I'm thrilled that she's consented to join our team. She'll be a great asset," Bloomberg added. "She's a woman who knows how to be an advocate. She's a great believer in America and New York. If she can help with a couple of votes, it would be wonderful."

Last week, Clinton's office told the Daily News the senator would not go to Singapore but had taped remarks to be used as part of the city's final presentation. On Monday, Bloomberg personally asked Clinton if she could rearrange her schedule to help the bid.

Asked why NYC2012 didn't push harder for Clinton to join the delegation earlier, Jay Kriegel, the bid's executive director, said, "We did get involved in some other issues that had to be resolved," referring to New York's search for a new Olympic stadium - finding one in Queens to replace the proposed West Side stadium.

Clinton's decision to go to Singapore has political upsides for both the senator and the mayor.

For Bloomberg, a Republican running for reelection in overwhelmingly Democratic New York, the trip will be a chance to cozy up to one of the state's most popular Democrats.

For Clinton, who many believe is running for President, it is an opportunity to represent the city and the nation on a global stage and hobnob with leaders like Blair and Chirac.

New York is competing against Paris, London, Madrid and Moscow for the 2012 Games.

With David Saltonstall

Originally published on July 2, 2005
Old July 3rd, 2005, 03:12 AM   #2036
Skyscrapercitizen
TIMBY

Likes (Received): 5425

Go NYC!

It's true, in NYC everybody has homegame advantage!
Old July 3rd, 2005, 12:46 PM   #2037
empersouf

Likes (Received): 22

The Spaniards managed a good job by getting 77 people voting for their city.
empersouf no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2005, 08:21 PM   #2038
EarlyBird

Likes (Received):

Well a while back when Madrid and Paris put on their little sports events for the IOC I said "Wait until you see what London and the UK has coming up for the week or so before the vote"... Wimbledon, Trafalgar 200, Glastonbury, the biggest concert in history, organising the largest single international media event in history, hosting of the G8 summit, acceptance of the EU presidency...

Old July 3rd, 2005, 08:30 PM   #2039
SE9
South East Nine

Likes (Received): 60335

good point
Old July 3rd, 2005, 09:54 PM   #2040
Peyre
Waiting for 122

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Donīt worry about London underground. One month ago, a spanish company bought the majority of the stake from the company which has many lines of the London tube and all the problems will be solved.
Peyre no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016