daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 3rd, 2005, 10:47 PM   #2041
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/03/sp...3olympics.html
Bid Stops Here: New York Set for a Final Olympic Dash

By LYNN ZINSER
Published: July 3, 2005

SINGAPORE, July 2 - Daniel L. Doctoroff surveyed the harried work proceeding around him, the fourth floor of the Raffles Convention Center being transformed into the center of the International Olympic Committee universe, and he seized upon the world surreal.

Still a bit dazed from the 18-plus-hour flight that had deposited him here, Doctoroff, the founder of New York's Olympic bid, could hardly believe he was at the place where the host city for the 2012 Summer Games will be decided. On Wednesday, when the I.O.C. chooses from among New York, Paris, London, Madrid and Moscow, the fate of Doctoroff's 11-year-old dream will sit in the hands of 116 people Doctoroff has tirelessly wooed for the past few years. He calculated that he had flown 175,000 miles in the past six months alone.

After the last of those miles, he walked off a plane in Singapore at 5 a.m. Friday, flashing an easy smile and a cheerful demeanor for the squad of local television cameras awaiting him. Sunrise was still several hours away. And the sales job was far from over.

"Everyone's always called me the eternal optimist, but I really believe we have a great chance at what would be an incredible upset," Doctoroff said. "I can see how it will happen. I've always been able to see it. I could be totally wrong, but I can see it."

Immediately, Doctoroff began to work restoring New York's image in this race. His confidence may have survived the defeat of the West Side stadium project and New York's moribund image internationally, not to mention the world's longest direct flight, from Newark to Singapore, but he is asked everywhere he turns whether New York truly has a chance, whether the longtime favorite Paris can possibly be beaten.

He concedes nothing.

"What I always visualized was going into the final vote with a great chance to win, and I believe that is where we are," Doctoroff said. "I'm not one to believe in odds set by British bettors. Instead I believe in what New York offers for athletes, for sport, for the Olympic movement. The true test will come on Wednesday."

Until then, the I.O.C. will begin to get down to work. Members began arriving Saturday, and the executive board will begin meeting Sunday. On Monday, the board is expected to formally approve New York's request to alter its bid with an Olympic stadium in Queens replacing the one on the West Side of Manhattan. The full I.O.C. session begins with an opening ceremony on Tuesday night, and the cities' presentations and the vote will consume Wednesday.

Before that, Doctoroff and Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and a huge New York delegation of Olympians and dignitaries will continue to lobby I.O.C. members at every turn: in meetings, chance encounters in hallways or restaurants.

Bloomberg is scheduled to arrive Sunday. Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton will join the fray Tuesday. The Olympians supporting New York have begun to trickle in and lend some star power, with Muhammad Ali topping off that procession in the next few days.

Their job is to bolster the idea of New York as a plausible choice.

"We're not going to tell them anything new," Doctoroff said. "I think at this point, we want to remind them that we'd make a great partner, and if there's an issue, we'll figure out how to get it done."

That is the theme coming out of New York's stadium drama, with bid members spinning it as a can-do response to a difficult problem. What is unknown is how I.O.C. members view that development, but Doctoroff said that he had talked to about 50 members since the new stadium plan was unveiled and that he believed the backlash would be minimal.

He is left to hope that his efforts - and his air mileage - will not go to waste.

NYC2012 staffers have helped deluge members with materials. Most recently, they sent View-Masters with 3D pictures of the before and after of each proposed Olympic site. They sent boxes of handwritten letters from New Yorkers addressed to each I.O.C. member, complete with pictures and arguments for their city.

This is on top of Doctoroff's travels. He said he has had meaningful discussions with 113 of the members, varying from 15-minute conversations with some to repeated visits and friendships developed with others.

"Very early on, and time will tell if the strategy is correct, the strategy was to treat every single one of the I.O.C. members like individuals, to solicit their input, find out what's important to them in selecting a city," he said. "I believe they've been very honest, very candid with us describing what is important to them."

The bid team has always tailored its presentations to the group being addressed. In a gathering of international sports federations in Berlin, Doctoroff unveiled a sports marketing plan for them. At a meeting of African Olympic committees, he took the African-born basketball star Dikembe Mutombo to talk about the virtues of New York.

Of course, all of the other bid cities were at each of those meetings as well. And they come to Singapore with the same professions of optimism as Doctoroff.

"The true test comes on Wednesday," he said.

That presentation cannot be tailored. The entire I.O.C. will sit in judgment, ready to decide if the last 11 years of Doctoroff's pursuit will take the Olympics to New York, or if he will be left to decide whether to try again in another four years.

Surreal, indeed.

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2005, 11:10 PM   #2042
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

LONDON 2012 its gonna happen oops did i say that out loud
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2005, 11:30 PM   #2043
Mike19

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyk
Im English/French....Im in both countries for long periods at a time each year...I might be even living in France in 6 years, I dont know.

yes, i definately see the french in u

ooo the french, too much arrogance, not enough showers.
Mike19 no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2005, 11:37 PM   #2044
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1498

And smart as foxes.

Yes, I am online 24/7

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2005, 11:38 PM   #2045
Englishman
Urge Desire Rest

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike19
yes, i definately see the french in u

ooo the french, too much arrogance, not enough showers.
Actually the French have amoungst the hiighest per capita ownership of showers in hte world.

(I just made that up but it could be true)
Englishman no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2005, 11:43 PM   #2046
Mike19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englishman
Actually the French have amoungst the hiighest per capita ownership of showers in hte world.

(I just made that up but it could be true)

now all u have to do is use them

i know, crazy thought.
Mike19 no está en línea  
Old July 3rd, 2005, 11:54 PM   #2047
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1498

Where are you from then mike....Spain?

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2005, 12:09 AM   #2048
Yankee BOY
Thats my wife Aaliyah.

Likes (Received): 1

this bid is on fiya FIYA
Old July 4th, 2005, 12:28 AM   #2049
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 226

Why is Madrid winning!!!
Effer no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2005, 01:52 AM   #2050
Mike19

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyk
Where are you from then mike....Spain?

hahahahaha, no im from miami.
Mike19 no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2005, 02:10 AM   #2051
dewback

The battle is between London and Paris, but I am with Madrid.
Old July 4th, 2005, 04:25 AM   #2052
Yankee BOY
Thats my wife Aaliyah.

Well good thing NYC is the only non european city, if it can just last the first few rounds it will probably get the votes from the eliminated european cities because they will probably want the 2016 games...sooo this is gonna be close but ya i agree it seems like its London Vs Paris. I dunno why everyone is voting for Madrid I never hear anyone talk about it or its bid so it shows its not really out there like the other bids.
Old July 4th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #2053
Kika
Better United

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee BOY
...I dunno why everyone is voting for Madrid I never hear anyone talk about it or its bid so it shows its not really out there like the other bids.

Anglo-Saxon Medias I am afraid...
Old July 4th, 2005, 09:49 AM   #2054
Alexander21
Megas Makedonas

It should be between London and Paris, these cities and countries have not held an Olympics for far too many years.
Old July 4th, 2005, 11:08 AM   #2055
legolas
I'm back!

Likes (Received): 0

Well, Madrid never had it... There are another thing the IOC members perhaps don't know. We have the most beautiful girls of the world
We feel passion (real spanish passion) for the bid and we would like to take it this wednesday
legolas no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2005, 11:14 AM   #2056
oki

Likes (Received): 5

paris would be the nearest location for me, so í vote for paris. it´a pitty that leipzig lost so early.
oki no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2005, 12:45 PM   #2057
Kaneda

Likes (Received): 15

In 2012 I will only be 20 years since Spain had it the last time. Its just too soon for Madrid.
Kaneda no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2005, 01:05 PM   #2058
satit28
Rukpong

Likes (Received): 13

i cant choose.........
NY or London or Paris.................
help me..........
satit28 no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2005, 04:15 PM   #2059
legolas
I'm back!

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by satit28
i cant choose.........
help me..........
Madrid, of course,

!Madrid¡
legolas no está en línea  
Old July 4th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #2060
Madman

Likes (Received): 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by satit28
i cant choose.........
help me..........
London of course!

Viva Londres!
Madman no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016