daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 5th, 2005, 07:16 PM   #2081
Peyre
Waiting for 122

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman
I agree, Paris' weakpoint is when Chirac opens his mouth, just look at the headlines in Britain today about our farming and food - i am not saying it is the best food in the world but he should at least learn to keep his gob shut sometimes...oh well hopefully it'll help Paris lose some IOC votes (prob not..)
well the fins have 2 votes apparently, and they won't be particularly keen on Chirac
Peyre no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 5th, 2005, 07:34 PM   #2082
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1490

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDvD
^

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2005, 08:28 PM   #2083
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/loca...p-277993c.html
A final sales pitch

Hil arrives to join N.Y.'s Olympic team

By MICHAEL SAUL
DAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAU

SINGAPORE - With one day left before the International Olympic Committee picks the 2012 host city, Sen. Hillary Clinton arrived here today in a burst of star power aimed at propelling New York's quest for Olympic gold.

"New York City exemplifies Olympic values every single day - living in New York is like living in an Olympic village," declared Clinton during a packed news conference this morning.

"It's almost hard to imagine that for the entire history of the Olympics, New York City has never hosted the Olympics," Clinton said. "We have lived the Olympics. Now, I'd like for us to have the chance to host the Olympics."

Among the five finalist cities, New York and Madrid are the only ones never to host the Games. Paris was the host in 1900 and 1924, London in 1908 and 1948 and Moscow in 1980. This morning, as expected, the International Olympic Committee's executive board officially gave the green light to New York's alternative proposal for an Olympic stadium in Queens. Last month, after a state board rejected the proposed $1.9 billion West Side stadium, Mayor Bloomberg unveiled plans to build a new stadium for the Mets that will be converted to an Olympic stadium if New York wins the Games.

"The conclusion of the evaluation commission's study of New York's revised proposal was that it's feasible," IOC spokeswoman Giselle Davies told the Daily News.

Bloomberg, who had breakfast with Clinton this morning, boasted, "Now we have brought in the A team."

Later in the day, Bloomberg will greet Muhammad Ali, who wowed the world when he lit the Olympic cauldron at the Atlanta Games nine years ago. Ali is heading the city's athlete delegation here.

During her remarks this morning, Clinton noted New York is seeking the Games so soon after 9/11.

"We're standing here a little less than four years from the time when we were attacked and we're telling you that New York City is the place to bring the 2012 Olympics because the people of New York are resilient," she said.

Bloomberg and the city's top bid officials spent their July 4 meeting with IOC members and rehearsing their final presentation, which was expected to stress New York's diversity. All five bid cities will have 45 minutes tomorrow to deliver a final presentation, followed by a 15-minute question-and-answer session. At the end of the day, the IOC will award one of the cities the Games by secret ballot.

"We are going to emphasize our strengths. And our greatest strength is New York City and what New York City can offer the Olympic movement," said bid founder Daniel Doctoroff, referring to the city's diverse population and its status as the world capital of media and finance.

The presentation will include a video clip with celebrities including comedian Billy Crystal. President Bush, who will be celebrating his birthday tomorrow, also will appear by video.

Originally published on July 5, 2005
Old July 5th, 2005, 08:46 PM   #2084
I*LOVE*NY
I*LOVE*NY

Likes (Received): 2

New York
I*LOVE*NY no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2005, 10:16 PM   #2085
Pedrillo

Likes (Received): 3

The 5 cities finalists are wonderful and they are deserved to organize the Olympic games. Good luck for all.

Last edited by Pedrillo; July 5th, 2005 at 11:16 PM.
Pedrillo no está en línea  
Old July 5th, 2005, 10:46 PM   #2086
SpectreAT

Likes (Received): 45

Good luck to all bidding cities
SpectreAT no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 12:13 AM   #2087
Englishman
Urge Desire Rest

Likes (Received): 96

bon chance tout les payes.

(you can tell it has ben a while since I studied french)
Englishman no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 12:28 AM   #2088
Gherkin
actual gherkin

Likes (Received): 515

Every city will host a good olympics! I just hope London gets it so i can drive down to see the games!
Gherkin no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 12:54 AM   #2089
Javi
A Freak From Hell

MADRID!!!!!!!!!!! We are ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 6th, 2005, 01:00 AM   #2090
Jamfocus

Good Luck to all the bidding citys.

Come on London!
Jamfocus no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 01:49 AM   #2091
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Likes (Received): 241

New York City

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000
JRQ no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 03:56 AM   #2092
Sparks

Likes (Received): 153

London's bid presentation has given Britain's capital an edge over rival cities competing to host the 2012 Summer Olympics, according to a survey of the world's top sports officials released on Tuesday.

The research found there was little to choose between the bids technically, which meant Wednesday's presentations would be "extremely influential" on the thinking of International Olympic Committee (IOC) members when they vote later that day.

"London received the strongest backing, partly on the basis that its presentations were thought to be the most professional of the five bidding cities," said the website, Sportcal.com.

The London-based site surveyed the secretaries general of National Olympic Committees (NOCs) and international sports federations by telephone and e-mail over the past two weeks.

The officials, who work alongside some of the roughly 100 IOC members due to cast the vote in Singapore, were asked which of the contenders -- London, Madrid, Moscow, New York and Paris -- they favoured and why.

"Of almost 70 NOCs and federations surveyed, London's bid was the clear leader ... with 44 percent of respondents backing its bid, compared with 29 percent backing for Paris, 10 percent each for Madrid and New York and 7 percent for Moscow," Sportcal.com said in a statement.

"London received the backing of 31 percent of the federations, compared to Paris's 28 percent, New York's 19 percent and 11 percent backing for ... Madrid and Moscow."

Paris came to Singapore confident in its role as clear favourite, but IOC president Jacques Rogge has repeatedly said the vote looked too close to call.

An IOC evaluation commission report last month said the New York and Madrid bids were high quality, appearing to put them behind Paris and London, which were both praised for "very high quality" bids. Moscow's bid was seen as merely "very serious."

The survey's authors, Mike Laflin and Callum Murray, quoted one NOC as saying that the technical aspects of the London and Paris bids were almost equal and there should be no problem for either city organising the biggest sporting event in the world.

"After all, if Athens could successfully organise the 2004 Olympic Games, any of the five bid cities would be able to match Athens easily," the NOC told the website.

Sportcal.com said that in the Americas, it did not receive enough responses to provide a meaningful sample.

This almost certainly means that votes for Madrid are under-represented in the survey's final results, given the likely backing for the city in the Hispanic regions of South and Central America.

National Olympic Committees of the countries that contain a bidding city were omitted from the survey samples.
Old July 6th, 2005, 04:12 AM   #2093
xXPimpinPunjabiXx
Punjabi Gangsta repin NYC

GO NEW YORK!!! U CAN DO IT

G-UnitG-UnitG-Unit
xXPimpinPunjabiXx no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 04:15 AM   #2094
cntower
Indus Priest King

Likes (Received): 9415

I heard Paris was the favorite to win with London right behind them...it's been a long time for Paris they lost it in 1992 and 2008! I think they should win it this time
Old July 6th, 2005, 04:18 AM   #2095
xXPimpinPunjabiXx
Punjabi Gangsta repin NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soufian
dayumn those buildings are tall ....ar ethey gonna be like 80 stories or sumthin? im talkin bout da one behind the stadium..the tallest one

G-UnitG-UnitG-Unit
xXPimpinPunjabiXx no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:42 AM   #2096
Yankee BOY
Thats my wife Aaliyah.

Likes (Received): 1

mannnn i missed NYC 2012 presentation and only saw the last 3 minutes of aint that some boo shit...does anyone know where i can find a taping of this? i g2g my plane takes off to ny in 7 hours.
Old July 6th, 2005, 07:05 AM   #2097
hkskyline
Hong Kong

Likes (Received): 17802

Live Webcast of IOC Meeting - Including City Presentations
Click Olympic Logo

World Photo Gallery - | St. Petersburg, Russia | Pyongyang | Tokyo | Istanbul | Dubai | Shanghai | Mumbai | Bangkok | Sydney

New York, London, Prague, Iceland, Rocky Mountains, Angkor Wat, Sri Lanka, Poland, Myanmar, and much more!
hkskyline no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:39 AM   #2098
Sikario
Loopy Londoner

Likes (Received): 7

London's presentation is on now people!
Sikario no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:45 AM   #2099
Madman

Likes (Received): 39

Well whatever the outcome, I think we, along with Madrid, have given Paris a run for its money!

Viva Londres!
Madman no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 11:16 AM   #2100
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

hngcm no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016