daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 6th, 2005, 04:29 PM   #2221
legolas
I'm back!

Likes (Received): 0

By the way, look at the webs. London is off, NYC and Moscow don't say any about the decission, Paris say it with small mouth and... look the Madrid's one. Always with a high class and from the respect. A 10/10 to Madrid2012!!!
legolas no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2005, 04:29 PM   #2222
Javier BF
iHate iStuff

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth
Luzhkov: Moscow will bid for 2016
What a waste of time and money. It's clear no European city will get the 2016 Games, and dubious there'll be a chance even in 2020. Most probably they will go to some South American (Rio de Janeiro?) or African (Cape Town?) city, because it's their turn after North America (1996), Oceania (2000), Europe (2004), Asia (2008) and again Europe (2012), and because those continents have never hosted the Games so far (Rogge has already expressed his desire to bring the Olympics to Africa for the first time as soon as possible). Or maybe they'll go to Dubai (the Middle East has never hosted the Games so far, either), which I'm sure will submit an impressive project for 2016.

«I think there is only one meaning for the word “peace”. That is, the word should be used to signify an environment where everyone in the world can live happily as human beings. [...] We must strive for the same objective—that we all want to have decent lives as human beings. Why can't we strive together? I always wonder why we can't achieve it... I often discuss it with the children who visit me on school trips.» Sumiteru Saniguchi
Javier BF no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 04:31 PM   #2223
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

Javier how did London bribe anyone? Where is the evidence?
Old July 6th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #2224
MoreOrLess

Likes (Received): 228

Interesting that Madrid won round 2 and that NYC actually lost votes in that round compaired to the first. Maybe a few favours were called in to make sure they didnt go out first?
MoreOrLess no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 04:34 PM   #2225
tiger
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier BF
What a waste of time and money. It's clear no European city will get the 2016 Games, and dubious there'll be a chance even in 2020. Most probably they will go to some South American (Rio de Janeiro?) or African (Cape Town?) city, because it's their turn after North America (1996), Oceania (2000), Europe (2004), Asia (2008) and again Europe (2012), and because those continents have never hosted the Games so far (Rogge has already expressed his desire to bring the Olympics to Africa for the first time as soon as possible). Or maybe they'll go to Dubai (the Middle East has never hosted the Games so far, either), which I'm sure will submit an impressive project for 2016.
you are wrong,if Moscow bids for 2016 and again for 2020,it'll have more chances to win the competition of 2024 due to emotional compensation.
tiger no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 04:35 PM   #2226
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20041

Quote:
The prices should be compatible with BRIC, second and thrid world countries. That everyone from the world will have possibility to visit it, not being bankrupt.
That would be very nice and I'm sure there willbe some cheaper tickets but if you are paying first world prices to construct the stadia and other facilities then you have to charge first world prices for the tickets or you will lose billions of pounds/euros/dollars.
Jonesy55 no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 04:59 PM   #2227
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
My declaration on London 2012.

London should understand that Olympic games is an event of international importance. It is not just games for first world. Then, UK should cancel visa system and welcome all funs. The transportation system should have signes on, at least, all biggest languages: Chinese, Spanish, Russian, French, German etc. The prices should be compatible with BRIC, second and thrid world countries. That everyone from the world will have possibility to visit it, not being bankrupt.
English is practically the world-language (even though it doesn't have as many speakers as Chinese), so I so no need to put english signs up. Moscow though would have had to overhaul its system.

Prices will be charged in relation to construction, operation and demand - not to the financial situation of those wishing to turn up. Also if prices were lowered to those of less well-off countries, how exactly would a peasant farmer in Ghana afford the flight to London which will undoubtedly be far more than the actual olympic tickets. I somehow doubt you thought that all through before typing....once again.
nick_taylor no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 05:11 PM   #2228
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Likes (Received): 57

Congratulations London, Congratulations England. Hope this world event will bring the UK closer to peaceful solutions on international issues and make it more aware of the practicality and importance of the European Union.

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 05:21 PM   #2229
Javier BF
iHate iStuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricemazda
Javier how did London bribe anyone? Where is the evidence?
I talked about attempting to bribe. Unlike the other bids, London's has been surrounded by scandals in this respect. First, an IOC member was discovered last year trying to sell his vote to London. Then, in an unexpected last-minute move, London announced they would be providing NOCs with $50,000 credits--a concealed attempt at winning votes from IOC members by rewarding their organizations with economical benefits should London be elected--, a dirty trick which got London seriously warned by the IOC.

«I think there is only one meaning for the word “peace”. That is, the word should be used to signify an environment where everyone in the world can live happily as human beings. [...] We must strive for the same objective—that we all want to have decent lives as human beings. Why can't we strive together? I always wonder why we can't achieve it... I often discuss it with the children who visit me on school trips.» Sumiteru Saniguchi
Old July 6th, 2005, 05:22 PM   #2230
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

how is it a concealed attempt when it was announced in a conference hall in front of IOC members?
Old July 6th, 2005, 05:24 PM   #2231
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1490

This is me caring -->

All I know is that Ill be sat in the main stand watching the olympics in my country and my city.

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 05:30 PM   #2232
Javier BF
iHate iStuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger
you are wrong,if Moscow bids for 2016 and again for 2020,it'll have more chances to win the competition of 2024 due to emotional compensation.
Just have a look at how much Paris has succeeded in this respect...

Old July 6th, 2005, 05:31 PM   #2233
JacobRit
Nacho Libre

Likes (Received): 1

Yay! Ignore the pratt
Old July 6th, 2005, 05:32 PM   #2234
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20041

Quote:
I talked about attempting to bribe. Unlike the other bids, London's has been surrounded by scandals in this respect. First, an IOC member was discovered last year trying to sell his vote to London.
How does this have anything to do with the London team? Did they accept his bribe? Do you have any evidence that any of the 54 who voted for London had been paid to do so? If not, keep your malicious gossip to yourself.
Jonesy55 no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 05:34 PM   #2235
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

but the fault lies not with London 2012 but with the IOC member willing to sell his bribe to JOURNALISTS.
Old July 6th, 2005, 05:46 PM   #2236
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

its soo much better watching the london 2012 videos knowing its a reality!!
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 05:47 PM   #2237
mdet04
mdet04

CONGRATULATIONS LONDON!!

At least, the architect of the Olympic Area he will be a madrilian, Alejandro Zaera Polo!! A little bit of Madrid it will be in the Olympic Games in 2012!!
mdet04 no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 05:51 PM   #2238
Bombay Boy

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-taylor
English is practically the world-language (even though it doesn't have as many speakers as Chinese), so I so no need to put english signs up. Moscow though would have had to overhaul its system.
extremely arrogant attitude to have as a host. you should be accomodating, not expecting the same from your guests. hope the organising committee thinks differently, i am sure they will

multilingual signs will be extremely helpful, as will translators at train/bus stations. its a good chance for britain to act as good hosts, they shouldnt squander it. the best remembered games are the ones where the hosts went out of their way to welcome visitors, not ones where only the interests of the citizens of the host country were taken into account
Bombay Boy no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 05:56 PM   #2239
EarlyBird

Likes (Received):

I think most of us always knew it would be London that would win. Moscow and NYC were riddled with problems. Madrid had a nice bid, but it didn't have the glamour of London or Paris. The Paris bid was based around a stadium that just wasn't up to standard.

Old July 6th, 2005, 05:57 PM   #2240
lyonsdown

Quote:
I talked about attempting to bribe. Unlike the other bids, London's has been surrounded by scandals in this respect. First, an IOC member was discovered last year trying to sell his vote to London.
How is that London attempting to bribe? you don't half talk some crap. My god why don't you get over it you lost because Spain only recently had the olympics and their bid wasn't as good as London's end of story.
lyonsdown no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016