daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 6th, 2005, 06:00 PM   #2241
Javier BF
iHate iStuff

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55
How does this have anything to do with the London team? Did they accept his bribe? Do you have any evidence that any of the 54 who voted for London had been paid to do so? If not, keep your malicious gossip to yourself.
The IOC member who was caught trying to sell his vote was banned, AFAIK. And I repeat I talked about attempting to win votes by promising economic rewards. It is not "my" malicious gossip: the scandal is well known, and the IOC themselves warned London for that move. The fact that London has finally got the Games will not wash away the dirt that has surrounded its bidding process. You finally got the Games--OK, it was an expectable result given today's influence of the English-speaking world at a global scale, and yours is a very good project even if it is still largely on paper, so expectably we'll have a nice 2012 Games. Also, I'm glad East London will be revived thanks to it. But you just can't claim you got them from an immaculate bidding process as everyone would have liked. And you can't deny the fact that after 2012, London alone will have hosted 10% of all Olympic Games and become the only thrice-Olympic city in the world, while many other world-class cities have never had a single opportunity so far.

«I think there is only one meaning for the word “peace”. That is, the word should be used to signify an environment where everyone in the world can live happily as human beings. [...] We must strive for the same objective—that we all want to have decent lives as human beings. Why can't we strive together? I always wonder why we can't achieve it... I often discuss it with the children who visit me on school trips.» Sumiteru Saniguchi
Javier BF no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:02 PM   #2242
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

We won fair and square, no one likes a sore a loser.
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:02 PM   #2243
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1490

London saved the olympics twice....the other 2 times we had them we wasnt awarded them.

Madrid was just bidding for the sake of bidding.

And London the only city to have it 3 times....Great....but I guess if Paris has won it would of been ok!?

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #2244
Javier BF
iHate iStuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsdown
My god why don't you get over it you lost because Spain only recently had the olympics and their bid wasn't as good as London's end of story.
Sure, that's why last year the IOC rated Madrid's project at 8.3 and London's at 7.5. If you won, that was because of politics, certainly not because yours was the best project.

«I think there is only one meaning for the word “peace”. That is, the word should be used to signify an environment where everyone in the world can live happily as human beings. [...] We must strive for the same objective—that we all want to have decent lives as human beings. Why can't we strive together? I always wonder why we can't achieve it... I often discuss it with the children who visit me on school trips.» Sumiteru Saniguchi
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:05 PM   #2245
eddyk
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1490

Because the UK is so popular around the world.

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #2246
Javier BF
iHate iStuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyk
Madrid was just bidding for the sake of bidding.
Yeah, sure.

Old July 6th, 2005, 06:30 PM   #2247
Madman

Likes (Received): 39

C'mon Javier London2012 had no involvement with buying votes. Its the BBC journalists who decided to get a story and revealed some of the corruption that still existed in the IOC.
Madman no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:31 PM   #2248
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

What amazes me is the IOC have had 3 chances to give the games to Paris and each time they said NON!
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:35 PM   #2249
Aquarius
Nooo, ya no

Likes (Received): 44

Congratulations londoners...I am sure that they will be an excellent Olympic games, like in Barcelona `92
Aquarius no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:51 PM   #2250
james2390

Likes (Received): 33

1. NYC
2. London
3. Madrid
4. Paris
5. Moscow
james2390 no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:52 PM   #2251
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier BF
And you can't deny the fact that after 2012, London alone will have hosted 10% of all Olympic Games and become the only thrice-Olympic city in the world, while many other world-class cities have never had a single opportunity so far.
In 1908 there were only about 4 athletes and in 1948 London only staged the games at short notice because nobody else would do it. London saved the games and so deserves the chance to hold a proper games for which they have time to prepare properly.
Jonesy55 no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 06:57 PM   #2252
uno
Kingdom of Zinon

Likes (Received): 1152

.:CONGRATULATIONS LONDON:.
uno está en línea ahora  
Old July 6th, 2005, 07:03 PM   #2253
nick_taylor
BANNED

Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay Boy
extremely arrogant attitude to have as a host. you should be accomodating, not expecting the same from your guests. hope the organising committee thinks differently, i am sure they will

multilingual signs will be extremely helpful, as will translators at train/bus stations. its a good chance for britain to act as good hosts, they shouldnt squander it. the best remembered games are the ones where the hosts went out of their way to welcome visitors, not ones where only the interests of the citizens of the host country were taken into account
I assume your either an Indian or a foreigner living in Bombay. If so you can manage to read my writing and should have no troubles understanding signs in London rail stations. It will be individuals like yourself that would most likely be able to go to the Olympics. Thus its not arrogant to assume, when most likely the people who will be visiting will understand english already or have translators on stand by. Its like when you go to Shanghai Pudong International Airport in Shanghai, there are large volumes of foreigners passing through and the sign are in Chinese and English. Not Chinese and Russian or Chinese and French:

Theres a difference to being welcoming and going overboard towards translations. English just so happens to be the 'global language', hence its a common meeting ground and a lack of requirement for translations other than at airport entrances. Saying that though, such options are available and you can for instance get London Rail Maps in Arabic, Bengali, Chinese, Greek, Gujurati, French, Hindu, Punjabi, Urdu, Turkish, Vietnamese and Spanish. I just don't see a massive requirement to start re-translating everything when London already has the largest number of 10,000+ and 5,000+ foreign born communities of any city on the planet - they manage and accomodations are made for them in areas, but I don't see the sensibility to go on a city/country-wide translation campaign....when those that will be coming will already be speaking English most likely.
nick_taylor no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #2254
JDRS
Against ID Cards

Likes (Received): 4

We WON. I'm very happy. My condolonses to the cities that lost but at the end of the day our bid was IMO the best with the most ambition. It's a shame some people can't accept that London won fair and square.
JDRS no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 07:41 PM   #2255
EdZed

Likes (Received): 0

Im so happy London won I always knew they had the best bid. Go London!
10 Approved (1+ New)
17 Proposed
EdZed no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 08:17 PM   #2256
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-taylor
English is practically the world-language (even though it doesn't have as many speakers as Chinese), so I so no need to put english signs up. Moscow though would have had to overhaul its system.
May be, I know english at bases, but most of people in Russia don't know and don't want to learn it. You can't force them, since you don't want to learn Russian. Since you wanted english signes in Moscow, then make us Russian signes in London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-taylor
Prices will be charged in relation to construction, operation and demand - not to the financial situation of those wishing to turn up. Also if prices were lowered to those of less well-off countries, how exactly would a peasant farmer in Ghana afford the flight to London which will undoubtedly be far more than the actual olympic tickets. I somehow doubt you thought that all through before typing....once again.
So it is Olympic games for first world only? Lodnon is considering to be most expensive city in Europe. People from third world, and from second as well, have not money that needs for tickets, hotel, flights, another transport (not all sport arenas located in London, some located far away in hundreds kilometers), food etc...
Can you also guarantee me that UK will not refuse for visa me to visit Olympic games, which is regulary happenings with many people?
Old July 6th, 2005, 08:18 PM   #2257
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

Quote:
What a waste of time and money. It's clear no European city will get the 2016 Games, and dubious there'll be a chance even in 2020. Most probably they will go to some South American (Rio de Janeiro?) or African (Cape Town?) city, because it's their turn after North America (1996), Oceania (2000), Europe (2004), Asia (2008) and again Europe (2012), and because those continents have never hosted the Games so far (Rogge has already expressed his desire to bring the Olympics to Africa for the first time as soon as possible). Or maybe they'll go to Dubai (the Middle East has never hosted the Games so far, either), which I'm sure will submit an impressive project for 2016.
it is not really correct. olympic games in eastern europe was only once and that was winter. political games in moscow not in count.
Old July 6th, 2005, 08:51 PM   #2258
JimB

Likes (Received): 4782

Quote:
Sure, that's why last year the IOC rated Madrid's project at 8.3 and London's at 7.5. If you won, that was because of politics, certainly not because yours was the best project.
That was last year. Before London really got its act together on major issues such as transport.

Over the past six months, it has generally been accepted throughout the Olympic movement that London now has a superb technical bid - every bit as good as Madrid's, if not better.

Frankly, your bitterness is becoming increasingly pathetic. Yes, London will be hosting its third Games but, as countless people have told you (though it seems yet to have penetrated), on both previous occasions, London came to the rescue of the Olympics in times of crisis. This is the first time that we have properly bid for and been awarded the Games. And you have also conveniently ignored the repeated reminders that Spain held the Olympics only thirteen years ago. It's rather arrogant for you to be so sore that your country haven't got the Games again so soon after the last time.

Lastly, please stop the attempted mud slinging. London made a mistake when they offered incentives. They believed that what they were doing was within the rules (to be fair, the rules were somewhat ambiguous) but the IOC told them in no uncertain terms that what they were proposing was not allowed. So London withdrew their offer. It was all in the public. All above board. And the offer was withdrawn. It was a mistake and it was quickly corrected. So why the **** do you persist with this pathetic, libellous bleating about London bribing IOC officials?

Christ on a bike. Talk about a sore loser.

And there I was, expressing sympathy for Madrid. Don't know why I bothered.
JimB no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 08:58 PM   #2259
Peyre
Waiting for 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombay Boy
extremely arrogant attitude to have as a host. you should be accomodating, not expecting the same from your guests. hope the organising committee thinks differently, i am sure they will

multilingual signs will be extremely helpful, as will translators at train/bus stations. its a good chance for britain to act as good hosts, they shouldnt squander it. the best remembered games are the ones where the hosts went out of their way to welcome visitors, not ones where only the interests of the citizens of the host country were taken into account
we do mate. Multilingual signs, maps and all sorts are avaliable at tube, bus stations, post office, TI offices. And Londoners ARE freindly, they will help people get around.
Peyre no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:01 PM   #2260
Peyre
Waiting for 122

Quote:
I talked about attempting to bribe. Unlike the other bids, London's has been surrounded by scandals in this respect. First, an IOC member was discovered last year trying to sell his vote to London. Then, in an unexpected last-minute move, London announced they would be providing NOCs with $50,000 credits--a concealed attempt at winning votes from IOC members by rewarding their organizations with economical benefits should London be elected--, a dirty trick which got London seriously warned by the IOC.

couldn't resist.
Peyre no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016