daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old July 6th, 2005, 09:09 PM   #2261
Jamfocus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 11
Likes (Received): 0

I am so Happy. I can't believe it was Londons name that was read, I thought in the end it would be Paris.

Seeing the crowds in Trafalgar Square bursting into cheers was fantastic and makes me pround to be British, it was so good to see so many people happy.

I do feel sorry for Paris, they did have a very good bid and it shows with there only being 4 votes in it.

2012's going to be great, the biggest sporting event being held in my home country and hopefully I'm going to be there to see it
Jamfocus no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:17 PM   #2262
JRQ
Sic Semper Tyrannis
 
JRQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: All of Virginia
Posts: 1,459
Likes (Received): 241

I thought it would be Madrid or Paris, but good choice. Can't wait to go see 'em.
__________________
____________

-Fairfax County-1,137,000
--Virginia Beach-448,000
---Norfolk-246,000
----Chesapeake-230,000
-----Richmond-214,000
------Arlington-208,000
-------Newport News-182,000
--------Alexandria-149,000
---------Hampton-136,000
----------Roanoke-98,000
-----------Portsmouth-96,000
JRQ no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:29 PM   #2263
hngcm
Registered User
 
hngcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,644
Likes (Received): 20

Damnit, Paris lost

So much for going to see the olympics
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:40 PM   #2264
SYDNEY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Only one thing can be learnt from this poll - NEVER trust what the majority of SSC Forumers vote for Congrats London, you will provide us with one-helluva show .. let the construction begin !!
 
Old July 6th, 2005, 10:51 PM   #2265
pricemazda
Titter ye not.
 
pricemazda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: EU
Posts: 17,642
Likes (Received): 1384

France is taking this pretty hard.
__________________
In Brussels no one hears you scream
pricemazda no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 11:00 PM   #2266
samsonyuen
SSLL
 
samsonyuen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canary Wharf > CityPlace
Posts: 8,350
Likes (Received): 314

I guess that's what happens when you think it's sealed.
samsonyuen no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 11:21 PM   #2267
Zenith
Trainee Apprentice MOD
 
Zenith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Taunton
Posts: 7,828
Likes (Received): 1537

Pricemazda can u show me where i should look to see the french view on all this
__________________
https://thezenithblog.wordpress.com/
Please visit my blog and any advice welcome.
Zenith no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 11:26 PM   #2268
eddyk
Registered Abuser
 
eddyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: G-Town Massive
Posts: 17,017
Likes (Received): 1496

The french forum I guess.

CNN had some of the comments made by the french bid people after the annoucement...they wasnt to best please.
__________________
.
.

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  
Old July 6th, 2005, 11:33 PM   #2269
nick_taylor
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Posts: 1,818
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth
May be, I know english at bases, but most of people in Russia don't know and don't want to learn it. You can't force them, since you don't want to learn Russian. Since you wanted english signes in Moscow, then make us Russian signes in London.
Well I don't see why the UK should cater to a minority of Russians who will actually be travelling to the London 2012 Olympics. Yes for certain areas like airports, etc but for entire transport networks - no. Also Coth there is one slight difference between the UK and Russia. The UK speaks English - a global language. Russia speaks Russian, a regional language. Theres a large difference there. If you can't recognise that then really god help us!



Quote:
Originally Posted by Coth
So it is Olympic games for first world only? Lodnon is considering to be most expensive city in Europe. People from third world, and from second as well, have not money that needs for tickets, hotel, flights, another transport (not all sport arenas located in London, some located far away in hundreds kilometers), food etc...
Can you also guarantee me that UK will not refuse for visa me to visit Olympic games, which is regulary happenings with many people?
How is the Olympics only for first world - they are open to anyone who wants to attend. Also there is no such thing as the first world - you have MEDC's, NIC's and LEDC's - your referring to Soviet era terms! London is indeed the most expensive city in Europe, but Moscow is the second most expensive and thats with a far poorer and less well off population.

I honestly don't understand what your getting at other than implying that London should subsidise everyone who simply can't afford to attend the Olympics because they come from a poorer background...you can't expect the UK to spend more money on transporting people from around the world at stupidly discounted prices. Moscow or any other city wouldn't follow such idiotic ideas.

I also don't believe everyone should be allowed into the country. I do believe though that people should be allowed to come into the country in full knowledge of protection and security without external terrorist influences negating this. If that means people are refused entry because of a hazy past then that should remain. If you fail to produce documents noting who you are you should be turned back. Thats the difference between the UK and Russia - we maintain our bodies without letting terrorists flood in like a swarm of bees, but allow the innocent to come.
nick_taylor no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2005, 12:10 AM   #2270
willo
Me&Me
 
willo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Madrid
Posts: 1,039
Likes (Received): 13

CONGRATULATIONS TO LONDON AND PLEASE MAKE A WONDERFUL OLYMPIC GAMES
willo no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2005, 12:38 AM   #2271
coth
pride leader
 
coth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Moscow
Posts: 21,632
Likes (Received): 6825

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-taylor
Well I don't see why the UK should cater to a minority of Russians who will actually be travelling to the London 2012 Olympics. Yes for certain areas like airports, etc but for entire transport networks - no. Also Coth there is one slight difference between the UK and Russia. The UK speaks English - a global language. Russia speaks Russian, a regional language. Theres a large difference there. If you can't recognise that then really god help us!
It is language that many people know just as nth additional language. But since you [pro english IOC members] put such questions on first place then the question should be equal for all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-taylor
How is the Olympics only for first world - they are open to anyone who wants to attend. Also there is no such thing as the first world - you have MEDC's, NIC's and LEDC's - your referring to Soviet era terms!
It is. Because people from second and third world can't go there. They just have no money. Third, second, third etc world is not Soviet era terms, but Cold War terms. I refering to this terms because it is more understandable for most of people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-taylor
London is indeed the most expensive city in Europe, but Moscow is the second most expensive and thats with a far poorer and less well off population. I honestly don't understand what your getting at other than implying that London should subsidise everyone who simply can't afford to attend the Olympics because they come from a poorer background...you can't expect the UK to spend more money on transporting people from around the world at stupidly discounted prices. Moscow or any other city wouldn't follow such idiotic ideas.
In purchasing power. Additionally to that - Moscow is expensive for rich and cheap for normal people. It is not far poorer (rural Russia is far poorer) and there is no less well off. I don't want to post all stats again for nothing.
I'm talking about real prices. That in London much higher than in Paris, Moscow or Madrid.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nick-taylor
I also don't believe everyone should be allowed into the country. I do believe though that people should be allowed to come into the country in full knowledge of protection and security without external terrorist influences negating this. If that means people are refused entry because of a hazy past then that should remain. If you fail to produce documents noting who you are you should be turned back. Thats the difference between the UK and Russia - we maintain our bodies without letting terrorists flood in like a swarm of bees, but allow the innocent to come.
I never tryed yet, but I know many people. Just normal people that tryed to get visa to USA or Western Europe. Many - unsuccessful. Refusing is without explanations. Ambassador can refuse even if he don't like your face. He will not tell you why. Just stamp in passport - refused. If anyone else wll see it. Be sure you will get refusals everywhere.

Visa to UK for 180 days costs $225. Ordering - 2 weeks.
International passport - $400. Ordering - 5 weeks.
Also documents:
- 2 photos - cheap
- reference from work with your post and salary - problematic, because not everyone have real salaray as official. also, people without work or with small salary most probably will not get visa. it means that most of students will not able to go London on olympic games.
- all documents on your property, children and marriage
- copy of Russian passport

so at least $625, my salary - $525

it is russia. average salary in shanghai - $150. it is like $1500 in london...
__________________
coth no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2005, 01:12 AM   #2272
birminghamculture
BANNED
 
birminghamculture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 2,288
Likes (Received): 2

It makes me laugh - Coth you do know part of Londons bid was to give food vouchers and money to poorer countries and there competitiors so they could come and participate in the games if London won. But everyone made a big hoo-hah about it worrying that it would act as a massive plus for choosing London, and because of that, Lord Coe and his team had to remove it from the London bid.

You just cant win can you. It shows people are out to get London when it offers something unique and original to help promote the games in poorer countries only to be told its not allowed because the richer more developed rival bid cities are scared it will cost them the games.

Think about it. I hope London re-introduces this into thier plan. It was the best thing about it - Anyone remember Eric the Eel - Sydney Olympics? Thats what the UK is all about, giving the under-dogs a fair go. maybe you lot should try it one day.
birminghamculture no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2005, 01:15 AM   #2273
birminghamculture
BANNED
 
birminghamculture's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Birmingham
Posts: 2,288
Likes (Received): 2

Oh yeh and just to inform you, the mian reason why London won today was because it was the only city not to concentrate its video's on promoting its own city. Infact it was based in places like Africa and Asia where the poor often overlooked have dreams and aspirations aswell to become a hero, to become a legend. It brought tears to many IOC members. Food sure, Celebrities sure, but what really wins it is touching the people that really matters. London did it, The others didnt.

They used thier heart and not our modesty
birminghamculture no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2005, 01:20 AM   #2274
Effer
E Pluribus Unum
 
Effer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vanderbilt
Posts: 3,741
Likes (Received): 226

PARIS SHOULD HAVE WON IT!!!!!
Effer no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2005, 01:21 AM   #2275
eddyk
Registered Abuser
 
eddyk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: G-Town Massive
Posts: 17,017
Likes (Received): 1496

So you have said so many times.


Doesnt change a thing though.

P.S
Is Paris still building the aquatics centre?
__________________
.
.

Visit Grantham Linconshire
eddyk no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2005, 01:26 AM   #2276
Evil Bert
Registered User
 
Evil Bert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 137
Likes (Received): 0

in terms of rounds of Voting London led Paris in every round

Before Madrid was knocked out we were 7 votes ahead

when madrid was knocked out we only won by 4 votes!!

i can not see an alliance between Madrid and London when Londons lead fell when Madrid was knocked out!

London won it fair and square on its own merits!! There should be no bitterness!
Evil Bert no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2005, 01:27 AM   #2277
EarlyBird
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by effer
PARIS SHOULD HAVE WON IT!!!!!
No it shouldn't. It's bid was based around a second rate stadium and facilities that would have created pretty much the smallest possible legacy. IMHO it was the worst bid. The only reason it did well was the sympathy factor.
 
Old July 7th, 2005, 02:17 AM   #2278
Peyre
Waiting for 122
 
Peyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Harrow-On-The-Great-Big-Fucking-Hill, London
Posts: 3,795
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by effer
PARIS SHOULD HAVE WON IT!!!!!
but wah?

please explain. Their video epitimised the arrogance shown. Look at us, we sip latte on chairs outside cafe's where it always sunny, everyone is smileing and the Eiffel tower is glistening in the background.
Peyre no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2005, 02:33 AM   #2279
nick_taylor
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Portsmouth (term time); Bishop's Stortford (out of term time)
Posts: 1,818
Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by coth
It is language that many people know just as nth additional language. But since you [pro english IOC members] put such questions on first place then the question should be equal for all.
So every sign in the UK should have some 10 languages translating what exactly exit is and what the destination is...jesus christ your barmy. Russian is quite simply an insignificant language that is not a global requirement unlike English is. That might have sounded harsh, but if that hits the spot to prove the point then I'll stand by it.




Quote:
Originally Posted by coth
It is. Because people from second and third world can't go there. They just have no money. Third, second, third etc world is not Soviet era terms, but Cold War terms. I refering to this terms because it is more understandable for most of people.
Oh dear lord - the Soviets existed around the Cold War era

That will be unfortunate but to date no Olympics has had to subsidise to let those less well off to visit. How on eath you would decide who should go is even more bizarre! Then again I don't know why your demanding such idiotic terms when no other cities proposed to do the same.


Quote:
Originally Posted by coth
In purchasing power. Additionally to that - Moscow is expensive for rich and cheap for normal people. It is not far poorer (rural Russia is far poorer) and there is no less well off. I don't want to post all stats again for nothing.
I'm talking about real prices. That in London much higher than in Paris, Moscow or Madrid.
That has got to be one of the greatest points ever Coth - its expensive for the rich and cheap for the poor. I suppose its better to be poor and without basic human amenities in Moscow your going to tell me now



Quote:
Originally Posted by coth
I never tryed yet, but I know many people. Just normal people that tryed to get visa to USA or Western Europe. Many - unsuccessful. Refusing is without explanations. Ambassador can refuse even if he don't like your face. He will not tell you why. Just stamp in passport - refused. If anyone else wll see it. Be sure you will get refusals everywhere.

Visa to UK for 180 days costs $225. Ordering - 2 weeks.
International passport - $400. Ordering - 5 weeks.
Also documents:
- 2 photos - cheap
- reference from work with your post and salary - problematic, because not everyone have real salaray as official. also, people without work or with small salary most probably will not get visa. it means that most of students will not able to go London on olympic games.
- all documents on your property, children and marriage
- copy of Russian passport

so at least $625, my salary - $525

it is russia. average salary in shanghai - $150. it is like $1500 in london...
$525 and living in Moscow? I assume your one of those poor people who live well really well off

You'll be glad to know that I'm a university student and I make around $500 in around 3 days and I also assume your talking your annual salary. Then again at the end of this I don't see why I should have to give you money to come to London to watch the Olympics...why you, infact how do you say who can and can't go. Quite simply your idea is flawed and had Moscow actually won the bidding process it would not have been doing the same in terms of funding for poor Africans to go to the games in Moscow en-masse..

The funny thing is - you "worked" at the GKS and when I go to their website guess what....I can either read it in Russian or English
nick_taylor no está en línea  
Old July 7th, 2005, 02:37 AM   #2280
kingdomca
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 411
Likes (Received): 0

Denmark voted for London and this was based on the fact that it will involve major development in a poor part of the city offering a legacy of opportunity, sport and non-sport, for the future.
He also commented on the fact that there were tears during Londonīs presentation with this focus on a legacy of opportunity..

Seems to me the right city won for the right reason, if only the UK could "beat" France at the G8...
kingdomca no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu