daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools
Old July 9th, 2005, 08:24 AM   #2341
EdZed
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 196
Likes (Received): 0

I don't think that NY will be the american candidate for 2016 most likely it will be San Fran. Cape Town is not prepared for 2016 they will have a better chance in 2020, Toronto might get short listed though there is no chance they will win to host just 6 years after Vancouver.
I can see the final 5 as:
(fill in american city)
Toronto
Dubai
Rio
Istanbul

I can see Dubai or Rio having a strong showing with Dubai winning.
__________________
Calgary Skyscrapers (12+ Floors)
214 Completed (2+ New)
19 U/C (1+ New)
10 Approved (1+ New)
17 Proposed
EdZed no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2005, 08:31 AM   #2342
Giorgio
Registered User
 
Giorgio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,677
Likes (Received): 482

THESSALONIKI
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2005, 09:53 AM   #2343
SYDNEY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

San Fran will be a gr8 candidate for 2016. Cape Town will only be ready by 2024 - let's face it, the city faces huge challenges and poverty is still growing, infrastructure is crumbling, the housing backlog is growing etc. I think that Rio de Janeiro will be great in 2020. Dubai is obviously a strong contender for 2016 and 2020 - with the kind of money they have floating around, I am sure that their plans will be big and impressive.
 
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:23 PM   #2344
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdZed
I don't think that NY will be the american candidate for 2016 most likely it will be San Fran. Cape Town is not prepared for 2016 they will have a better chance in 2020, Toronto might get short listed though there is no chance they will win to host just 6 years after Vancouver.
I can see the final 5 as:
(fill in american city)
Toronto
Dubai
Rio
Istanbul

I can see Dubai or Rio having a strong showing with Dubai winning.
uhm DUBAI????? yes what wil they write under olympic culture, we send five athletes to to the games and our games will only be in temps of 45C daily just high enough to fry an egg on your olympic village balcony, the dubai games is quite far fetched, cape town will be prepared for 2016 although too busy preparing for 2010 which might not result in cape town bidding at all. As for Rio they are on par with Cape Town, dont underestimate the power of "bringing the games to africa", the second time around. IF Jacques Rogge is adiment about certain things well they tend tohappen, he wanted baseball out of the games three years ago and now its happened..
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:26 PM   #2345
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENIGMA
San Fran will be a gr8 candidate for 2016. Cape Town will only be ready by 2024 - let's face it, the city faces huge challenges and poverty is still growing, infrastructure is crumbling, the housing backlog is growing etc. I think that Rio de Janeiro will be great in 2020. Dubai is obviously a strong contender for 2016 and 2020 - with the kind of money they have floating around, I am sure that their plans will be big and impressive.
i try to remain open minded, yes san fran will be great although i prefer new york, but dubai?? it takes more than flashy venues, accomodation and money to win a bid, i dont think we'll be seeing a middle east bid win for some time, what wil dubai say about their olympic cultute? athletes? sandstorms? but yes i do agree cape town has a lot of work to do that isnot something you cna make seem rosy so i see your point there, but cape town if not in 2016 will bid for 2020 and you have to believe it will stand a good chance esp. if i make that emotional speech to the IOC hehe
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2005, 03:27 PM   #2346
Giorgio
Registered User
 
Giorgio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,677
Likes (Received): 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
uhm DUBAI????? yes what wil they write under olympic culture, we send five athletes to to the games and our games will only be in temps of 45C daily just high enough to fry an egg on your olympic village balcony, the dubai games is quite far fetched, cape town will be prepared for 2016 although too busy preparing for 2010 which might not result in cape town bidding at all. As for Rio they are on par with Cape Town, dont underestimate the power of "bringing the games to africa", the second time around. IF Jacques Rogge is adiment about certain things well they tend tohappen, he wanted baseball out of the games three years ago and now its happened..
you sound like a fool!

Your afraid that Dubai, the better choice, could ruin Cape Towns Chances
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2005, 04:02 PM   #2347
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by .::G!oRgOs::.
you sound like a fool!

Your afraid that Dubai, the better choice, could ruin Cape Towns Chances
yes im very afraid indeed, but they still wont get it hahaha
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2005, 04:40 PM   #2348
linostar1982
beerrrrrrrrrr
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 25
Likes (Received): 0

No way Cape town for the next 20 years...Who will vote for them at the same time that they have huge problems to solve and the poverty is too big there. Cairo would be better for Africa.. And the winner of 2016 is.... D U B A I ! And at 2020 back to Athens!
linostar1982 no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2005, 04:41 PM   #2349
Giorgio
Registered User
 
Giorgio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,677
Likes (Received): 482



i hope they get it while i still am on this forum and so r u and then i wanna see your reactions. Infact, i wish i were next to u when the announcement rules out cape town
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #2350
Giorgio
Registered User
 
Giorgio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 10,677
Likes (Received): 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by linostar1982
No way Cape town for the next 20 years...Who will vote for them at the same time that they have huge problems to solve and the poverty is too big there. Cairo would be better for Africa.. And the winner of 2016 is.... D U B A I ! And at 2020 back to Athens!
I AGREE! BACK TO ATHENA!

Every 10 olympic games should be held in greece IMO.
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2005, 04:58 PM   #2351
Mr. T
Don't forget a towel!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: guess
Posts: 585
Likes (Received): 1

DUBAI 2016!!!

__________________
Urban Heaven
Mr. T no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2005, 05:54 PM   #2352
Andaluz
semos usuario
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sevilla
Posts: 78
Likes (Received): 0

Buenos Aires
Andaluz no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2005, 06:16 PM   #2353
SYDNEY
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Likes (Received):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
i try to remain open minded, yes san fran will be great although i prefer new york, but dubai?? it takes more than flashy venues, accomodation and money to win a bid, i dont think we'll be seeing a middle east bid win for some time, what wil dubai say about their olympic cultute? athletes? sandstorms? but yes i do agree cape town has a lot of work to do that isnot something you cna make seem rosy so i see your point there, but cape town if not in 2016 will bid for 2020 and you have to believe it will stand a good chance esp. if i make that emotional speech to the IOC hehe
If the IOC keeps promising Africa the Games then they had best keep their promise. I also think that it is becoming more and more difficult for bid cities to impress the IOC (just look at Paris and London's bids, they set new standards), therefore Cape Town will have to improve herself vastly. Good Luck Mo and once again I reiterate that your passion for the games is unlike anything I have ever seen
 
Old July 9th, 2005, 06:42 PM   #2354
Mo Rush
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 28,964
Likes (Received): 74

2016 IOC shortlist:

New York
Cape Town
Buenos Aires
Rio de Janeiro
Istanbul
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2005, 07:00 PM   #2355
Wu-Gambino
Registered User
 
Wu-Gambino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 2,827
Likes (Received): 109

San Francisco or New York City.
Wu-Gambino no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #2356
Raine
...
 
Raine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Szczecin
Posts: 11,351
Likes (Received): 1226

Warsaw 2020 !
Raine no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2005, 07:02 PM   #2357
satit28
Rukpong
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Khon Kaen
Posts: 4,402
Likes (Received): 13

i think u forgot to add Bangkok on the list........................
satit28 no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #2358
29A
Registered User
 
29A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baroda, Chicago, Seattle
Posts: 551
Likes (Received): 45

With the new NCR 2021 plans made by the indian government, new Delhi is the choice for me
__________________
Even the devil may die!!
(29A)16 = (666)10
29A no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2005, 07:13 PM   #2359
satit28
Rukpong
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Khon Kaen
Posts: 4,402
Likes (Received): 13

BKK 2016...............
satit28 no está en línea  
Old July 9th, 2005, 07:13 PM   #2360
Gherkin
actual gherkin
 
Gherkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: London
Posts: 13,796
Likes (Received): 515

Quote:
Warsaw 2020 !
It could happen though! Warsaw has an impressive skyline and the Olympics would be great for the city. However, i feel it will go to an American/Canadian city
Gherkin no está en línea  


Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu