daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 11th, 2005, 03:50 PM   #2401
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

hngcm the stadium is used as both a rugby and football stadium, used by ajax cape town for football and western province as a rugby stadium, would u rather have those "football stadiums" with athletics tracks, no offense to athens but 4 of their 6 stadiums had athletics tracks. cape town would only use two with athletics tracks at most possibly even one.
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 11th, 2005, 04:16 PM   #2402
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Likes (Received): 20058

Quote:
Originally Posted by hngcm
The hell they're playing soccer in a rugby stadium.
It's pretty easy to have a dual-use Soccer and Rugby stadium, lots of places do both; Stade de France, Paris; Millenium Stadium, Cardiff; Stadium Australia, Sydney; Old Trafford, Manchester etc
Jonesy55 no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2005, 04:39 PM   #2403
Jaimzz..(NL)

Likes (Received): 179

Amsterdam
Jaimzz..(NL) no está en línea  
Old July 11th, 2005, 04:55 PM   #2404
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55
It's pretty easy to have a dual-use Soccer and Rugby stadium, lots of places do both; Stade de France, Paris; Millenium Stadium, Cardiff; Stadium Australia, Sydney; Old Trafford, Manchester etc
Just for interests sake Cape Town would use the following venues in an olympic football competition:

FINALS at the Olympic Stadium (new) about 80,000 probably

Newlands Stadium 50,000

Athlone Stadium -

this stadium is cape towns 2010 main venue and would be upgraded by 2008 to about 40-60,000

Greenpoint Stadium

has an athletics track and currently seat 18,000 but would need major upgrades, might just be used as an athleics training venue

outside cape town

port elizabeth stadium 50,000

kings park stadium 60,000

soccer city 94,700

Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2005, 03:06 AM   #2405
Mo Rush

Future use of Athens Olympic venues up for tender

The Greek Government-owned Hellenic Olympic Properties has invited bidders to submit offers for the use of three of its Olympic Games venues.

Just under a year after the last Olympics took place, tenders have been submitted for use of the canoe and kayak venue in Hellinikon, the Goudi badminton hall and the main part of the International Broadcasting Centre in Maroussi, through an advertisement placed in the International Herald Tribune.

Bidders can use the facilities for sports and cultural events or for food and beverage services, according to the advertisement.

Since the event last August, hardly any of the 36 purpose-built stadiums, which cost more than E3bn, have been used. Wrangling between ministries and local authorities over ownership has hindered any decisions made on future use of the facilities.

Annual maintenance costs for the venues are reportedly estimated at around E90m.

The tenders are to run until 12 September.

8 july 2005
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2005, 03:57 AM   #2406
hngcm

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
hngcm the stadium is used as both a rugby and football stadium, used by ajax cape town for football and western province as a rugby stadium, would u rather have those "football stadiums" with athletics tracks, no offense to athens but 4 of their 6 stadiums had athletics tracks. cape town would only use two with athletics tracks at most possibly even one.

I know, i'm just joking.
hngcm no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2005, 11:14 AM   #2407
Madman

Likes (Received): 39

The French mayor should really let go...

London’s Bid Breached Rules Said Paris Mayor – Blair Spokesman Calls It “Fair”
Posted 12:19 pm ET (GamesBids.com)

Paris Mayor Bertrand Delanoe said Monday that London’s winning bid for the 2012 Games breached the rules. Delanoe, president of the Paris 2012 bid, said London had not respected the rules of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) stating that meetings between bid officials and IOC members should be only informal.

He told reporters, “the IOC knows that (Prime Minister) Tony Blair had written to IOC members to offer to meet them”. Delanoe said Blair had then met IOC members in his hotel suite in Singapore before Wednesday’s vote. “Everybody was aware of it and could see it. That’s against the rules. I saw people coming out of Blair’s suite”.

Delanoe also suggested Monday that London had also breached the IOC rules by making comments on a rival bid, reports Reuters.

“It is stated that a bid should not make comments on another one. Out of the five bidding cities, which one did not respect that?”

According to Reuters he was apparently referring to comments before the vote by a member of London’s team who said the Stade de France in Paris was not built specifically for athletes.

Delanoe said he didn’t want to make a big fuss but “there’s no reason why I should remain silent”.

Delanoe denied having accused London of bribery. “All I said was that if Paris had used bribery to win the vote, we would have been reproached for it”.

Speaking at his first Paris council meeting Monday since the vote in Singapore Delanoe said, “I don’t say they flirted (with the yellow line), they crossed right over. Victory was decided on something other than Olympism”.

Meanwhile a spokesman for British Prime Minister Tony Blair said Monday that London’s winning bid was “fair”.

“We have no comment other than to point to what Mr. Rogge said, that it was a fair bid”.
Madman no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2005, 02:00 PM   #2408
willo
Me&Me

Likes (Received): 13

what city of portugal will be bidding¿?¿??¿ or it's the whole country?¿?¿
willo no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2005, 02:05 PM   #2409
Kaneda

Likes (Received): 15

Dubai! The Olympics to the middeleast !

And, Copenhagen 2024 !
Kaneda no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2005, 02:17 PM   #2410
Urban Dave
In Urbanity I Trust

Likes (Received): 1518

Madrid will be on the bid again!
Urban Dave no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2005, 02:41 PM   #2411
Perth4life14

Likes (Received): 0

New York
Perth4life14 no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2005, 03:28 PM   #2412
brummad
Oh! There he is!!

Likes (Received): 22

he needs to get his head out of his arse....i have just watched all four losing presentations and my god london had nothing to fear. some of them were terrible. as for 'we want the games' song in the french bid...truly cringeworthy
brummad no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2005, 03:34 PM   #2413
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRQ
I'm glad London got the Olympics, but if you truly think about it, it seems very unfair. London Hosted it in 1948, and then once earlier, while Paris hasn't. I would be very pissed off if I lived in France right now, lol.
Paris hosted the games in 1900 and then in 1924 too.
Old July 12th, 2005, 03:40 PM   #2414
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capzilla
July 6th 2005 12:38
London Wins the 2012 Olympics
Around the Rings (subscription), GA - 6 minutes ago
(ATR) London is elected as the host of the 2012 Olympics, edging Paris in four rounds of voting at the IOC Session in Singapore. ...
Has anyone worked out how aroundtherings.com knew about the result 5 minutes before it was announced? I don't think they would have guessed and put it on their website if they weren't sure.
Old July 12th, 2005, 03:56 PM   #2415
lyonsdown

It was decided about half an hour before that they just kept the result secret until the official announcement time of 12.46
lyonsdown no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2005, 03:59 PM   #2416
Jonesy55
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyonsdown
It was decided about half an hour before that they just kept the result secret until the official announcement time of 12.46
Except they didn't keep it secret, aroundtherings was already proclaiming the winner to be london on their website at 12:40. I was reading this thread when someone posted the link.

Somebody at the IOC must have leaked the result to them.
Old July 12th, 2005, 04:33 PM   #2417
lyonsdown

Somebody probably got a text from someone in the room who already knew the result.
lyonsdown no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2005, 09:29 PM   #2418
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy55
Has anyone worked out how aroundtherings.com knew about the result 5 minutes before it was announced? I don't think they would have guessed and put it on their website if they weren't sure.
hehehe, some things are just left unsaid.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 12th, 2005, 10:46 PM   #2419
MainDiish
Noodles Yum!

Actually, I heard that they gonna pick Istanbul,or Rio De janiero in Brazil as a host city. They said that they gonna mostly pick in South American cities. The favourite is Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. but i dunoo... that is just wat i read in the Newspaper. Would anyone tell me is this true?
Old July 12th, 2005, 10:53 PM   #2420
ManchesterISwonderful
Sometimes I, fan-ta-sise

Bradford.
ManchesterISwonderful no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016