daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 22nd, 2004, 02:13 PM   #241
efrost
efrost

Likes (Received): 0

The Olympic Ring is going to be located at the end of line 7 ( where the current Stadium is) Madrid also gets a bit warm during the summer, but do not worry, A) it is a dry heat, so it is bearable B) The Olympics should be finished by the time the real hot arrives C) We have air conditioning, fans, sangria...U wil survive the expirience ;-)
efrost no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old December 22nd, 2004, 02:15 PM   #242
Pucelano77
Pucela 4ever!

Likes (Received): 648

I hope Madrid!!

Nuestra mayor identidad cultural es la incultura...
Pucelano77 no está en línea  
Old December 22nd, 2004, 02:22 PM   #243
AeroSp
¡Madrid!

Yes, Go Madrid!
AeroSp no está en línea  
Old December 22nd, 2004, 02:25 PM   #244
NEWMADRID

I vote for Madrid, the concentration of the infraestructures, the great transport net, the excellent support of the country, and the good quality hotels with good prices, are, I think, good reasons to deserve this Olimpic Games. Paris is, I think, our great rival.
NEWMADRID no está en línea  
Old December 22nd, 2004, 02:32 PM   #245
NEWMADRID

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKnO_Lx
i vote for Madrid because of its great nightlife and it´s close to me (6 hours drivin´)so maybe will´l get a jump there by 2o12 anyway i´ve got 2 questions to de madrid ppl
1- Where is gonna be de olimpic stadium?
2- I know de city is tremendously hot during de summer isnt this aspect affect the possible games?

The Olpmpic Stadium is near the airporty (ten minutes by tube). It´s near an area prepared for comercial meetings called "Feria de Madrid", in the same place there will be the stadium the swimming-pool and other sports.

Maybe it´s hot, but I think that many cities where the games have been celebrated already are equally hot, like Rome or Athens, for example. I think that it is not a big problem.

By the way, I adore Lisbon, it´s very tomantic, very nice and I love the Expo Area, with SIza and other excellent arquitects biuldings there. I have two friends there, and it´s a place I go often. Lisbon is one of the nicest cities of the world for me.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 02:35 PM   #246
NEWMADRID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
stupid people thinking madrid will win
nothing wrong with supporting madrd
but one must also live in reality and face the facts that paris or london will win
so please dont get too worked up and sad when in singapore jacques rogge says :" and the country to host the games of the X olympiad in 2012 is ....... PARIS"

I think that to call stupid to some people is not a good reason precisely. You should learn to be more polite, I am afraid , before give any leason about it to anybody, my dear friend.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 03:13 PM   #247
SeR
Feliz IgNoRanCia...

Chovinismo aparte... (Que se puede eseperar de un frances..?¿?)
SeR no está en línea  
Old December 22nd, 2004, 03:40 PM   #248
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Sorry for calling people stupid

i would rather have madrid than paris win but i still support london
i dont see madrid winning ioc members will not let the games go spain so soon again...
and thats a fact u not going to be able to convince more than 50 ioc members that the games should be in spain gain after barcelona
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old December 22nd, 2004, 03:49 PM   #249
AeroSp
¡Madrid!

May be that´s a point against Madrid but Paris is the only city that has had the games 3 times if I remember it right.
I think London and NY has less choices as ioc puntuated them below Madrid and Paris but everything is possible.
AeroSp no está en línea  
Old December 22nd, 2004, 05:27 PM   #250
kony

Likes (Received): 1241

Quote:
Chovinismo aparte... (Que se puede eseperar de un frances..?¿?)
err..mo rush no esta frances !!!

and aerosp, paris has organised the games twice ! not 3 times !
kony no está en línea  
Old December 27th, 2004, 02:59 AM   #251
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Likes (Received): 57

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea  
Old December 27th, 2004, 07:11 AM   #252
WrightCup
Registration Used

I would prefer it to be organized by let's say South Africa for a change...
WrightCup no está en línea  
Old December 27th, 2004, 02:33 PM   #253
Mo Rush

CAPE TOWN 2020, TORONTO/BUENOS AIRES 2016

World's Best Cities Ranked by Travellers, 2003 (1)
City/Country Score (2)
Sydney, Australia 87.3
San Francisco, United States 85.6
Florence, Italy 84.6
Rome, Italy 83.8
New York City, United States 82.7
Bangkok, Thailand 82.7
Charleston, United States 82.3
Chicago, United States 81.0
Venice, Italy 80.9
Victoria, Canada 80.7
Santa Fe, United States 80.0
Cape Town, South Africa 79.9
Vancouver, Canada 79.6
Singapore 78.9
Paris, France 78.6

CAPE TOWN HAS THE GOODS TO MATCH ITS BEAUTY

by Michael Farr, Cape Times 13 February 2002

Perceptions of the central city of Cape Town, the Mother City's flagship, have changed radically, both nationally and internationally, especially over the last few years.

Fuelled by increased security and cleansing services, combined with a good value proposition, the city is attracting growing numbers of tourists and new business, most notably in the film, leisure, finance and IT industries.

Since the Cape Town Partnership was formed in mid-1999 to kickstart the rejuvenation of the CBD, it has focused primarily on working closely with local government in getting basics right and building a platform from which Cape Town can market itself as a competitive global destination for new investment.

It follows that if you cannot deliver a safe, clean and well-administered city centre, you clearly are not in a position to deliver the investment environment that is required to boost the economy of the city, the wider metropole and the province.

Getting the basics right, which through the Central City Improvement District has been delivered by ratepayers and local government, was the all-important first step to the taking of the product to market.

At the same time, international trends had to be borne in mind. One such trend has been that of disaggregation — or a major multinational deciding that certain administration, couia 1e corniucteci in cities other than that in which the company is headquartered.

The evolution of information technology has made this possible, and many international companies, looking towards the bottom line in a weakening global economy, would conclude that if certain functions could be conducted in another international city as effectively but at half the price, this option should seriously be considered.

At the same time, major multinationals have tended to start looking at cities, rather than countries, when making investment decisions. While where the city is located is important from a macro point of view, each city’s environment, assets and attitude are bping much more closely scrutinised. This has meant that, for example, a major international call centre company would look to Cape Town, Dublin, Delhi and Manila as possible locations for their business. Investment brand assets are based on variables which prove the investment case, and include issues such as the business environment, quality of life and the availability and price of skilled labour.

In early 2001, the partnership teamed up with the major investment, commerce and tourism bodies to conduct an international study on those things that make us competitive globally. Fortune and Arthur Andersen in New York conduct an annual study on what makes cities throughout the world competitive as business locations, but unfortunately do not include Africa in their study.

The basis for their judging of over 150 cities in the world is across four categories: workforce, business environment, quality of life for attracting talent, and cost of doing business. The also interview executives in 160 cities across the globe.

The partnership approached the Unilever Institute for Strategic Marketing at UCT to conduct the South African leg of the study, and with the co-operation of Arthur Andersen, applied the same formula to South African cities to see just where Cape Town stacked up domestically and completed. While the statistics are for the year 2000, and therefore before the Argentinian economic crash, for example, they remain valid for 2001/2.

The basis for winning status is the score achieved for skilled workforces, stable governance and good quality of life. So, what did the research tell us and how exactly do we measure on some key criteria?

* Workforce: Cape Town’s work-force, at a little over 1.3 million, is comparable to Seattle, Washington or Baltimore, Maryland, and a full third higher than Vancouver, Canada. Its unemployment rate is the lowest of the three major cities in South Africa.
* Skills: Cape Town's proportion of degreed people exceeds any other city in South Africa by a fair margin. It is estimated that Cape Town has more computers per 1 000 people than any city in South Africa, and exceeds Bangkok, Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Santiago, St Petersburg or Warsaw. Further estimates indicate that it has more internet connections per 1 000 people than any city in South Africa, and exceeds Bangkok, Buenos Aires, Kuala Lumpur, Moscow, Rio de Janeiro or Santiago.
* Professionalism: Cape Town’s professional or managerial employment as a percentage of the worklorce is higher than Miami, New York, San Diego or Richmond, and is marginally under the US average of 25.2%.
* Education: Cape Town spends more on education as a percentage of GNP than Athens, HongKong, Melbourne, Manila, Singapore or Seoul.
* Government employment: Cape Town’s proportion of the workforce employed by government is beneath the US average of 15.7%, despite the fact that parliament is based in Cape Town. It also exceeds Boston, Seaffle, New York, Charlotte, North Carolina and Cleveland, Ohio.
* Safety: Cape Town’s crime rate in the wider metropole is comparable to New York or Los Angeles. At city centre level, a joint, zero-tolerance effort by the private sector and city council has now brought the central city more into line with international norms.
* Pollution: Cape Town is a relatively clean air city and has fewer bad air days than Atlanta, Baltimore, Charlotte, Los Angeles, Dallas, New Orleans or Sacramento, amongst many others, especially Houston.
* Price of property: despite its superior quality of life, Cape Town is amongst the cheapest cities anywhere in the world to buy or rent property in dollar terms (and at the time the study was conducted, the rand was still 8:1). Average A-grade rentals in Cape Town’s central city— and for that matter most of the busi*ness districts in South Africa are considerably less costly than any North American, Latin American or European city, and are competitively below most emerging economy cities. The World Competitiveness Yearbook in fact rated us first of the 47 countries it investigated.
* Growth and prospects: Cape Town’s real GDP growth in 1999 was comparable to the city average for New Zealand,Hong Kong and the Philippines. Its forecast growth rate for 2002 is 3.5-4%
* Global business environment: using the Arthur Andersen/Fortune measure, Cape Town’s Business Environment Score is higher than Buenos Aires, Rio de Janeiro, Kuala Lumpur, Manila or Prague, and is comparable to Lisbon, Rome or Tokyo.
* Cost of living index: Cape Town comparable to Kuala Lumpur and Madrid. It is easily more competitive than most major cities in the world, but particularly more so than Buenos Aires, Jakarta, Istanbul, Moscow, Warsaw, Singapore or Taipei.
* Entrepreneurial: Cape Town creates proportionally more new firms than most major cities. In terms of its propensity to create new companies, it typically exceeds Amsterdam, Bangkok, Barcelona, Brussels, Buenos Aires, Manila, Moscow, Paris, Singapore, Vienna or Zurich.
* Risk: Cape Town’s composite economic, political and financial risk rating is better than any other city in South Africa, and is comparable to Manila, and better than Brasilia, Jakarta, Moscow or Rio de Janeiro.
* Economic freedom: Cape Town is on a par with Kuala Lumpur, Warsaw or Santo Domingo and is better than Moscow, Manila, Delhi or São Paulo.
* Inflation: Cape Town’s inflation rate remains low and in 1999 was below Budapest, Delhi, Istanbul, Jakarta, Manila, Moscow, Rio de Janeiro or Warsaw, amongst many others.

Proving the investment case is one thing, but using the information to attract investment is really what it’s all about. The facts from the research enable us to conclude that at a global level, the strengths we particularly have are:

* Access to and price of skills
* Education standards and levels
* Price of property (to rent or buy)
* Telecoms infrastructure
* Language
* Private/public services
* Value for money
* Quality products
* Niche industries
* Commuting time
* Aesthetics
* Climate
* Time zone
* Heritage/culture/history

For reasons that would be self-evident, we cannot reasonably aspire to compete with New York, London or other first-tier international cities.

But we can, and should, compare ourselves favourably to some of the best second-tier cities in the world, including Taipei, Bangkok, Manila, Buenos Aires, Kuala Lumpur and others.

Cape Town is no longer at the beginning of the investment trend. She has the product, the environment, the determination and all the potential she needs to attract the kind of domestic and international investment necessary for Cape Town's growth.

Perhaps we're all needing now is a slight attitude adjustment to believe in ourselves and what we have to offer the world.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old December 27th, 2004, 02:37 PM   #254
Mo Rush

I dont doubt lisbon or europes abillities to host a games, its not that, i just want the games to truly become a global event not a euro-american event, yes it tough to host the games but at the end of the day you it will be africa's turn and CAPE TOWN will step forward and grab the opportunity...all i ask is that if europe wins 2012 that the world gets behind a cape town 2020 bid because we will try our best to make the games the best we can
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old December 28th, 2004, 01:42 AM   #255
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Likes (Received): 57

Mo Rush, I lived in S. Sfrica during 17 years and REALLY hope Cape Town gets it in 2020. In fact I have no doubts. However. in 2016 it might be Lisbon's chance of holding them.

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea  
Old December 29th, 2004, 12:18 AM   #256
linostar1982
beerrrrrrrrrr

I vote for Paris...The worst choice for me is London.
linostar1982 no está en línea  
Old December 29th, 2004, 01:50 AM   #257
Honestlad

Likes (Received):

Lisbon.

Old December 29th, 2004, 03:25 AM   #258
Mo Rush

Go Lisbon
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old December 30th, 2004, 05:40 PM   #259
nikolaidis
nikolaidis

Paris !
nikolaidis no está en línea  
Old December 30th, 2004, 06:04 PM   #260
blimey
BANNED

LDN all the way!
blimey no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016