daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old August 26th, 2005, 03:33 AM   #2661
dANIEL2004

Likes (Received): 0

It s not only the money for the stadiums construction...but a lot of many for the organization that Africa will not afford it...
dANIEL2004 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2005, 03:50 AM   #2662
Faz90
BENNED

Likes (Received): 1

By 2016, Dubai Sports City and many other projects will be finished, so I think Dubai will have a good chance, unless it's the middle of summer.
Faz90 no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2005, 04:01 AM   #2663
-Corey-
Je suis tout à vous

Likes (Received): 5227

San Diego 2016

๏̯͡๏๏̯͡๏
-Corey- no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2005, 04:05 AM   #2664
Rence

The best host country to host the summer games is South Africa , no african countries had yet hosted an Olympic !!!!
Rence no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2005, 07:20 AM   #2665
Sodnal

2016 SHORTLIST

NEW YORK-------Where, Manhattan Island? LOL
CAPE TOWN-----They can't afford it.
BUENOS AIRES---It'd be great in Argentina, but they can't afford it either.
TORONTO-------Canada is still paying for the 1976 games.
ISTANBUL-------Cops beat up protestors in Turkiye. Nope!
Sodnal no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #2666
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodnal
2016 SHORTLIST

NEW YORK-------Where, Manhattan Island? LOL
CAPE TOWN-----They can't afford it.
BUENOS AIRES---It'd be great in Argentina, but they can't afford it either.
TORONTO-------Canada is still paying for the 1976 games.
ISTANBUL-------Cops beat up protestors in Turkiye. Nope!
Cape Town can afford it???, who else in africa do you want to host the games....how bout ruwanda, ??? you ignorant its your problem though not mine....
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2005, 06:53 PM   #2667
Sodnal

Quote:
you ignorant its your problem though not mine
I thought personal attacks were prohibited in this forum? A quick apology will change my mind about reporting this issue to the Administrator.

As for Capetown, South Africa is already revenue challenged just to grow their economy. Thats a statement of fact. I'm sorry that you have problems with facts. To answer your question, there isn't any place in Africa at the current time that could afford to put on a modern Olympics. Way it is.
Sodnal no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2005, 08:38 PM   #2668
Mo Rush

Quote:
I thought personal attacks were prohibited in this forum? A quick apology will change my mind about reporting this issue to the Administrator.

As for Capetown, South Africa is already revenue challenged just to grow their economy. Thats a statement of fact. I'm sorry that you have problems with facts. To answer your question, there isn't any place in Africa at the current time that could afford to put on a modern Olympics. Way it is.
you are very new to these forums indeed....south africa's economy has stabilized immensely under trevor manuel our finance minister one of the candidates who was one of a few to be considered to take the role world bank president, of course as any developing country south africa is not nearly as close in the GDP rankings to large countries and well considering our past we cannot compare to the resources of large countries... but to say cape town cannot afford it would be incorrect,i even believe cape town can stage a better games than atlanta did, a small country like athens showed that its possible... whether or not its your opinion after your detailed calculations that cape town cannot afford the games the games will come to africa, and south africa will be first in line..
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old August 26th, 2005, 09:23 PM   #2669
Sodnal

South Africa doesn't have the spare $ 10-12 Billion it takes to put on a modern Olympics. There are also major social problems in South Africa that make locating an Olympics there risky. High unemployment, high violent crime rates and inter-tribal violence in some areas of the country. I've read in this forum where chronic unemploment in SA is in excess of 25%. That makes for an unstable environment and puts potential visitors at risk.

Finally, SA is off the beaten track for most visitors of an Olympics. Like it or not the major travel routes are east-west, not north south. Australia was only just viable as a host country, due to their proximity to wealthy visitors from Japan, Malaysia and so on. South Africa has no other nation of any wealth base within many thoudands of Kilometers of them. This is what host nations rely on to pay back the debt from Olympic games.

When SA gets a handle on it's social problems, then maybe an Olympics. Until then, it's not going to happen. Doesn't make sense.
Sodnal no está en línea  
Old August 27th, 2005, 01:23 AM   #2670
Mo Rush

Quote:
South Africa doesn't have the spare $ 10-12 Billion it takes to put on a modern Olympics. There are also major social problems in South Africa that make locating an Olympics there risky. High unemployment, high violent crime rates and inter-tribal violence in some areas of the country. I've read in this forum where chronic unemploment in SA is in excess of 25%. That makes for an unstable environment and puts potential visitors at risk.

Finally, SA is off the beaten track for most visitors of an Olympics. Like it or not the major travel routes are east-west, not north south. Australia was only just viable as a host country, due to their proximity to wealthy visitors from Japan, Malaysia and so on. South Africa has no other nation of any wealth base within many thoudands of Kilometers of them. This is what host nations rely on to pay back the debt from Olympic games.

When SA gets a handle on it's social problems, then maybe an Olympics. Until then, it's not going to happen. Doesn't make sense.

athens didnt have a spare 10 -12 billion either, i understand part of your argument, question one: have you been to south africa on more than one occassion question two: did you know cape town is a top tourist destination?
question three: do you know every country has social problems? would an olympic games not aid that??

inter-tribal violence??? in cape town?? where it sounds like fun
because cape town is far from the rest of the world it shudnt get the games, because africa is not europe it shud not get the games???
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old August 29th, 2005, 10:57 PM   #2671
phillyskyline

everyone's wrong, it's Philly (USA). We currently meet more of the miniunum requirements than London does.
Old August 30th, 2005, 12:46 AM   #2672
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

It definitely won't be in Shanghai for 2020, that's fo'sho. I'd love to see Sao Paolo or Buenos Aires get the 2016 Games. Cape Town would be awesome too. Which want the Games still?
samsonyuen no está en línea  
Old August 31st, 2005, 02:42 AM   #2673
tootshibbard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
athens didnt have a spare 10 -12 billion either, i understand part of your argument, question one: have you been to south africa on more than one occassion question two: did you know cape town is a top tourist destination?
question three: do you know every country has social problems? would an olympic games not aid that??

inter-tribal violence??? in cape town?? where it sounds like fun
because cape town is far from the rest of the world it shudnt get the games, because africa is not europe it shud not get the games???

Yea, I went to Jo-Burg and Porth Elizabeth and Jeffreys Bay in 2000. I was very upset that I didn't get a chance to go to Cape Town because it does look wonderfull and stunning. South Africa for its size likely has more variety and diversity then any on earth and is truely a great place. And if any African city could pull it off J-Burg or Cape Town could. I really wish Cape Town or Rio will get it (if my Chicago doesn't). Those are two of the most ideal physical locations in the world to host a games. Both are also very diverse and (even though both do have more then there share of crime which realistically is a problem).

I know every country has social problems. The U.S. has more of its fair share so I would not knock a country for not being Iceland or Norway with few problems. The sad fact is though that 1/4 of the people in South Africa have aids though and to spend 5-10 billion on some games for two weeks is not the most prudant. That is a decision that South Africans and the IOC will have to decide though.

If my home town doesn't get it then I will totally root for Cape Town (and then Rio) to get it though. It is about time that it goes to Africa or South America.
tootshibbard no está en línea  
Old August 31st, 2005, 03:09 AM   #2674
tootshibbard

Quote:

The high crime is a problem. I don't think it is as bad in Cape Town as it is in J'burg but it sitll works against it. In 11 years though maybe it will have improved to a considerable degree but there is no way to know for sure.

The Aids issue and the unemployment are a tough one to that are problamatic. Those are a lot of funds to go to some games when there are dire social conditions on the home front.

Inter-tribal violence?? I don't but too much into that even if it is true. More differant peoples live in a smaller area then maybe anywhere else on earth in South Africa. There is racial tension but the country has made remarkable strides and should be commended for their improving ethnic relations then condoned.

Also I don't buy into the thought about others traveling and that being a decision. Most of Europe is within a 12 hour flight to South Africa and that carries with it a much bigger and enthusiastic sporting population then Malysia, Japan, and Korea. Plus the vast majority of most spectators are often locals anyway and South Africa is a very sports consumed country so selling out events would not be a problem.

Other great things about Cape Town is its diversity. Its huge leaps in race relations and social improvment in the last 20 years (which the IOC might want to reward). It also has one of the best natural settings (along wth Rio and San Fran IMO) that you could ask for in an Olympics.
The IOC eventually also wants to get a games into Africa and South Africa is likely the only one that has some of the sporting venues, hotels, transperation infrastructure that could begain to pull it off. If and when it does go to Africa JBurg or Cape Town will surely be it.
Old August 31st, 2005, 03:18 AM   #2675
tootshibbard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faz90
By 2016, Dubai Sports City and many other projects will be finished, so I think Dubai will have a good chance, unless it's the middle of summer.

mmmmmmmmm.....how many Arab olympic winners have there been in history? How many Arabs even give a crap about sports or the Olympics to be honest?

Not to mention the labor issues and human rights problems that take places in Dubai (yes yes I know they are not as bad as its neighbors but still not up to norms).

You would have to put the games on in late fall or winter which the networks (where the Olympics get their vast majority of money) would not like at ALL. That was one of there big misgivings about Australia (though there was enough to overcome them).
Old August 31st, 2005, 03:26 AM   #2676
Alexandre SP

Likes (Received): 173

SÃO PAULO - SÃO PAULO - SÃO PAULO - SÃO PAULO - SÃO PAULO!!!!!
Alexandre SP no está en línea  
Old August 31st, 2005, 11:18 AM   #2677
Mo Rush

CAPE CAPE CAPE CAPE CAPE TOWN!!!
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old August 31st, 2005, 03:19 PM   #2678
dANIEL2004

Mo,let us know. Has Cape Town an official bid for 2016 or 2020? Where is the oficial logo?
dANIEL2004 no está en línea  
Old August 31st, 2005, 03:25 PM   #2679
smussuw
Patriotic Emirati

Likes (Received): 533

sorry guys Dubai still have more than 3 times voters than any other city in this thread.
smussuw no está en línea  
Old August 31st, 2005, 11:01 PM   #2680
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by smussuw
sorry guys Dubai still have more than 3 times voters than any other city in this thread.
that is true this is skyscrapercity btw not the IOC...
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016