daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 1st, 2005, 12:14 AM   #2681
taicher
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Even it is skyscraper city it shows that people will not easily trust a poor problematic country as SA for the biggest event of the planet..
taicher no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2005, 02:14 AM   #2682
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by taicher
Even it is skyscraper city it shows that people will not easily trust a poor problematic country as SA for the biggest event of the planet..
ur ignorance is not my worry....
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2005, 05:09 AM   #2683
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

So where did some of these choices come from?
spyguy no está en línea  
Old September 1st, 2005, 12:38 PM   #2684
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy999
So where did some of these choices come from?
gamesbids.com
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2005, 08:03 AM   #2685
SDK4
Florida

Likes (Received): 500

They need to be refined to some more logical choices.
SDK4 no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2005, 09:20 AM   #2686
tootshibbard

If I had to guess the final five right now I would guess

1.) Chicago
2.) Cape Town
3.) Toronto
4.) Bangkok
5.) Buenos Aires

I also think Warsaw, Instanbul, Dubai, and Rio will also have an outside shot. Dubai will have to build a whole Olympic village and stadium first though because the IOC would catch unbearable heat if they awarded the games to a place that was going to be built with next to slave labor.
tootshibbard no está en línea  
Old September 6th, 2005, 08:29 PM   #2687
stexxno
BANNED

San Franc.
stexxno no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2005, 04:50 AM   #2688
Alexandre SP

Likes (Received): 173

SÃO PAULO 2016 - SÃO PAULO IS THE MOST POWERFUL CITY IN LATIN AMERICA!
Alexandre SP no está en línea  
Old September 7th, 2005, 08:48 AM   #2689
Madman

Likes (Received): 39

And NY is probably the most powerful city in the world and that didnt get it anywhere in the 2012 bid.

Besides if there is an Olympics in Brazil i want it in Rio
Madman no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2005, 05:50 AM   #2690
SDK4
Florida

Top 3:
1. New York
2. Chicago
3. Cape Town
SDK4 no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2005, 07:02 AM   #2691
azimo
Osaka

Likes (Received): 1

i think Dubai has a good chance in wining .
azimo no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2005, 07:49 AM   #2692
tootshibbard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman
And NY is probably the most powerful city in the world and that didnt get it anywhere in the 2012 bid.

Besides if there is an Olympics in Brazil i want it in Rio

Agreed. From an outsiders perspective having an Olympics in Brasil and not haveing it in Rio would just feel wrong.

I wish they had the infrastructure and the lack of crime to pull it off. Hopefully some IOC members would see beyond those issues anyway.
tootshibbard no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2005, 07:45 PM   #2693
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimo
i think Dubai has a good chance in wining .
i do not think so, what do some of you think are the key criteria to actually standing a real chance to host the games???
of course its very complicated and its not always based on these factors but surely olympic concept, the actual sporting culture, an olympic team of me than 5 athletes etc. shouldbe standard before a city is given the right to host the games....ignore dubais weather, yes they have the funds and can build facilities, but is that enough??
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 8th, 2005, 10:33 PM   #2694
TalB
Refugee

Likes (Received): 78

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/08/sp...8olympics.html
New York Mum as Los Angeles Says It Will Bid on 2016 Games

By LYNN ZINSER
Published: September 8, 2005

A Los Angeles group declared its intention yesterday to bid for the 2016 Olympics, but the future of a potential New York bid remained far from clear two months after the city's failed attempt to land the 2012 Games.

The United States Olympic Committee has not announced its timetable for selecting an American bid city for 2016, but a committee led by Barry Sanders, a lawyer, and backed by Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa of Los Angeles unofficially kicked off the bidding season with its announcement.

"This is a city with so many obvious attributes, because of what kind of city it is, the climate, the spirit of the city," Sanders said in a telephone interview. "We think Los Angeles was made for the Olympic Games."

Since New York lost a five-city race for the 2012 Games in July, when London won the vote by members of the International Olympic Committee, city officials have not rushed to embrace another run for 2016. Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg has put off any serious consideration of another bid until after the November election. He emphasized during the 2012 process that New York could not guarantee it would return for another bid.

When Bloomberg has addressed the topic recently, he has said that the city would probably need to find another bid leader willing to spend the time and raise the money necessary because he doubted that Deputy Mayor Daniel L. Doctoroff, the 2012 bid leader, would continue in the role.

Doctoroff, who said yesterday that he did not want to comment on his future role, spent 11 years and said he raised about $35 million in private donations for the 2012 bid.

That does not mean other officials from the 2012 group could not revive the bid, which has been discussed among some of the board members.

The U.S.O.C. will give them plenty of time to consider the options. At a meeting Saturday in Denver, the committee will discuss how to choose the next American bid city. It is a process that officials have promised will be different from the one that gave New York the nod over San Francisco in 2002, because the U.S.O.C. has reorganized. In 2002, the committee's 123-member board voted on a winner. Now, the committee's board has been reduced to 11 members.

Some of the changes will also be a response to problems in the 2012 process. There was friction between the U.S.O.C. and NYC2012 over the bid's reliance on the West Side Stadium plan, which was rejected by New York State officials only a month before the I.O.C. vote, becoming a major factor in the bid's defeat.

The U.S.O.C. has vowed to institute a rigorous set of selection criteria to choose the next city, including an emphasis on having facilities approved long before the I.O.C. selection.

But those criteria are not likely to be determined until this fall, when cities will be offered the chance to apply. A winner is likely to be chosen by 2007 for the I.O.C. selection process, which will end in 2009.

The Los Angeles group's eagerness to bid comes as no surprise. The city failed to make the list of finalists the U.S.O.C. considered in 2002, but it has long sent signals that it would return for the 2016 race.

Sanders has a long history of involvement with Olympic sports, including serving as general counsel to the organizing committee of the 1984 Los Angeles Games, which was led by the U.S.O.C.'s current chairman, Peter Ueberroth.

Ueberroth, though, has no role with Sanders's group, a U.S.O.C. spokesman, Darryl Seibel, said. And Sanders said he was not relying on his long association with Ueberroth.

"He would not let us compromise his integrity, and we would not attempt to," Sanders said. "We not are advised at all by Peter Ueberroth."

Sanders emphasized that Los Angeles offered an extensive array of existing facilities, including the same Coliseum that was used in the 1932 and 1984 Games for the opening and closing ceremonies and for track and field.

It remains to be seen whether Los Angeles's experience as an Olympic host will be a positive or a negative to the I.O.C. Sanders says that the selection of London as the site of an Olympics for a third time signals that the I.O.C. is not reluctant to tread on old ground.

Los Angeles is the only American city to play host for a Summer Olympics more than once. Part of New York's unsuccessful pitch for 2012 was that it had never been the host for the Olympics and would help break new ground for the Games.
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:14 AM   #2695
ZimasterX

Likes (Received): 95

I think i'ts too soon for Los Angelos to host the Olympics since they already had it back in 1984. I really think that other cities, who have never hosted the games before, get a chance to host.
ZimasterX no está en línea  
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:18 AM   #2696
Englishman
Urge Desire Rest

Likes (Received): 96

London!
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:26 AM   #2697
Jue
Perception

Likes (Received): 1

If Dubai hosts the Games, could they move the event to April or November? The weather is quite agreeable in spring and autumn.
Jue no está en línea  
Old September 13th, 2005, 09:51 PM   #2698
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavkaz
I think i'ts too soon for Los Angelos to host the Olympics since they already had it back in 1984. I really think that other cities, who have never hosted the games before, get a chance to host.
In 2016, it'll be 32 years since the Olympics were held in Los Angeles. And 20 years since the last Olympics were held in the US (Atlanta in 1996).

I seriously think that LA would be a serious contender.

If not LA than Rio.
Old September 14th, 2005, 01:50 AM   #2699
SDK4
Florida

I would love to see New York try again to get the 2016 games, but maybe it is too soon after the 2012 defeat to go at it again. But then again they have a year to think about it.
SDK4 no está en línea  
Old September 16th, 2005, 11:48 PM   #2700
poponoso
(archidesigner)

Likes (Received): 755

BUENOS AIRES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO DOUBT ABOUT IT...
poponoso no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016