daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 8th, 2006, 07:26 PM   #3041
crossbowman
^Xpande®^

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude
After China and England, it is very likely that American is next
I second that!San Francisco has IMO the best chance in winning.

[- Reunification of the PARTHENON Marbles -]

Life is FULL of rude awakenings...
crossbowman no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:37 PM   #3042
matherto

Likes (Received): 1

I would love to see San Fran get it, I dunno why but I just think it's a cool city, and they could run over the Golden Gate with the torch, perfect photographic oppertunity.

If New York were to bid again though, I'd vote for them
matherto no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:33 PM   #3043
rtbedm

Likes (Received): 0

I think the USOC will be choosing a safe bet. There for I think they are going to go with Los Angeles. Los Angeles is the only one of the cities that has an Olympic Stadium and ready to use venues. It has hosted twice before, but the IOC has already chosen London to host a third time.
rtbedm no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:38 PM   #3044
eomer
Bring Constantinople back

Likes (Received): 4639

New York
A l'aube du cinquième jour, regardez vers l'est
eomer no está en línea  
Old May 8th, 2006, 10:05 PM   #3045
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

pick one...

Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:00 AM   #3046
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by eomer
New York
they are not even in the running. Why keep talking about something that is not going to happen...?
cphdude no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:10 AM   #3047
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by matherto
I would love to see San Fran get it, I dunno why but I just think it's a cool city, and they could run over the Golden Gate with the torch, perfect photographic oppertunity.

If New York were to bid again though, I'd vote for them

I agree. I think it it will come down to either San Fran or Chicago (both would be awesome host). I think it will ultimatley come down to which city makes a commitment to a better Olympic stadium (which if S.F. builds a new 49ers stadium in the city they could double it the use) and which city will offer to host the events closer to the city center and within city limits.

In terms of infrastructure, money, atmosphere, visibility, population, importance etc. they are very close to one another and it will likely come down to which puts on the better more committed bid in terms of the Olympic village and stadium (which is the way it should be).

The other thing is that the west coast has already been hosted on the west coast in the U.S. This could work against S.F. very slightley but it may not matter all that much.
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:18 AM   #3048
themongrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbedm
I think the USOC will be choosing a safe bet. There for I think they are going to go with Los Angeles. Los Angeles is the only one of the cities that has an Olympic Stadium and ready to use venues. It has hosted twice before, but the IOC has already chosen London to host a third time.
london hasn't been picked 3 times, the first london took over from rome cause mt vesuvius erupted so the italians couldn't do it

the second was in 1948 where london, despite major bomb damage, hosted it to kick start the olympics again (although they were awarded 1944 before they were cancelled, tokyo had 1940)

so 2012 will be the only one, we hope, that will be a normal, successful bid
themongrel no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:28 AM   #3049
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

Chicago will likely get it. The way the mayor has been talking -- he really wants it to come to Chicago. If not chicago id like to see it come to Houston.
Kngkyle no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 01:35 AM   #3050
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

Chicago or San Fran. I bet Houston can throw up a technically better bid, but I'd rather them not win because of rivalry( I think Dallas could do better) as well as would rather see more spectacular scenery at the games.
rantanamo no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:14 AM   #3051
ReddAlert
BANNED

Likes (Received): 8

I would like to see Chicago get it. Its a great city. Plus it would be nice to have the Olympics so close to my city. Daley even said they may have some events in Milwaukee and make full use of the city/airport...which would be a once and a lifetime thing for everyone around here to see.

Minneapolis I hear is also bidding for it. I wouldnt mind seeing them get it.
ReddAlert no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:22 AM   #3052
dewback

Likes (Received): 1

Well, I am divided between Chicago and San Francisco. While I find the "City by the bay" far more attractive than Chicago, San Francisco is well known for its NIMBY nature and decentralized government. Any change (such as the construction of a new Olympic stadium) in the terrain of Candlestick Park could prove to be a big venture, but the culture and setting of the city deserve some appreciation above any potential technical difficulties.

Chicago doesn't have that easy tho. Soldier Field, which was recently renovated (and ruined IMO) can't host the athletics in its current shape, and the bid might be forced to use a college stadium to host athletics. If they are thinking on the stadium of the U of Illinois Urbana, they must better do wonders on a possible renovation. Yet, the possibility of a waterfront Olympic Park (in the old Miegs Field) sounds pretty nice.

It's pretty much going to depend wheter SF can exploit Oakland and Berkeley instead of Palo Alto. For Chicago, they really must get corporate support (which has been less than mild).
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:35 AM   #3053
swifty78

Likes (Received): 549

I personally dont want to see another Olympics in the USA for a very very very very long time. Let other countries that have never had them have a go.
swifty78 no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:36 AM   #3054
Christianmx
Bring you to Hill

Likes (Received): 1284

Houston.
Christianmx no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:43 AM   #3055
cmc

Likes (Received): 253

My Vote......
For Houston all the way..............

Last edited by cmc; May 9th, 2006 at 04:50 AM.
cmc no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:49 AM   #3056
Chalaco
:D

Likes (Received): 16

San Fran
Old May 9th, 2006, 06:32 AM   #3057
Iain1974

San Francisco hopefully. Chicago is a bit of a hole not too far from downtown. Houstons climate might rule it out. Philladelphia is a nice 'old' city by US standars but I can see the West coast pulling it off.

Personally I think the USA deserves the games every 20-odd years. Don't listen to the rest of the people on here - they just have a chip on their shoulder.
Iain1974 no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 06:52 AM   #3058
TexasBoi
Texas-NoVA

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain1974
. Houstons climate might rule it out. .
Why would that rule it out. Hold it in Mid September like Sydney did.
TexasBoi no está en línea  
Old May 9th, 2006, 06:58 AM   #3059
LMCA1990
Top tier

Likes (Received): 3454

i'll break the tie and say chicago without a doubt. does any1 kniw what other countries have or are thinking about having bids???
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #3060
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude
Well, overlooking the stupidety of your argument, American will generaly be chosen as host every 20 years or so, because of the massive amount of money both NBC and american sponsors like Coca-Cola and McDonalds pour into the games... Call it an unspoken rule.

After China and England, it is very likely that American is next, if they can deliver a great bid. Personaly i dont believe in Houston or Philadelphia. They dont have the money to pull it of. And Los Angeles has already done it once. So I am guessing either Chicago or San Fransisco, with Chicagos strong sports tradition and city feeling as a front runner....
Well if they do get the bid as you say so , lets hope the city can build a better stadium than Atlanta's piece of trash (& note that is not an opinion it is a fact!)

Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016