daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 9th, 2006, 11:36 AM   #3061
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmc
My Vote......
For Houston all the way..............

hey houston will get it, if they have CHUCK IS ON THERE TEAM!

Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 9th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #3062
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain1974
Personally I think the USA deserves the games every 20-odd years. Don't listen to the rest of the people on here - they just have a chip on their shoulder.

It doesn't really bother me. As much as I would like to see the games in the States I also would like to see it in a lot of new places as well and understand wanting to spread it around. But if the powers that be want to give it to the U.S. and a U.S. city put up a real good bid then so be it I guess.....
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2006, 07:05 AM   #3063
Mesh22

Likes (Received): 1

Iain1974..

You may think the US deserves it, but the IOC does not think the same way it did in from the 1970's to 1990's (basically from Avery to Samaranch).

FACT IS after Beijing 2008 (and to a lesser extent London 2012) the US will NOT have such a supreme domination over the Olympic Games like it did in its glory years from 1984 to 1996.

2016 will not go to the US, no matter who bids. perhaps 2024/2028.

Atlanta 1996 was a travesty. Salt Lake City's bid was a total ****up. At least Salt Lake City was ABLE to put on a good show (better than Torino 2006 IMO).

HOWEVER, in terms of 2016 selection im pretty sure its a toss up between Chicago and San Fran.

Chicago was robbed of the 1904 Olympics (which the IOC selected it for), by the US Government, who put it in St. Louis (so it would not take the limelight from World's Fair being held there)
San Francisco would make a stunning host city. Theres something about the Olympics in San Francisco that would be like Sydney 2000 all over again. Pleasent.

LA is a practical solution. After London scored its third Olympiad in 2012; Who knows. A 3rd LA Olympics could happen. It's a practical option, but it would be nice to see the rest of the US (if we *have* to revisit the US).

Philadelphia; beautiful amazing city; just not Olympic material.

New York; im not suprised their not bidding again; NY doesn't need the Olympics, it didn't seem to want the 2012 Games as much as London or Paris did.

And....Houston. Uh-oh. No. Atlanta left a bad taste in everyones mouth.
Mesh22 no está en línea  
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:48 AM   #3064
jmancuso
make it so...

Likes (Received): 56

houston is way too hot even in september.
Old May 14th, 2006, 10:59 PM   #3065
Rufus

Likes (Received): 15

for all of you who dont want the olympics in the u.s., here is the thing. the IOC must equally distribute between continents. for the past few years, the only continents competing were N.America, Europe, australia, and Asia, now that Africa and S. America are coming into the mix, the IOC has more to choose from, but that is a problem. The IOC will want to try the main 4 before it moves on, and with Asia and Europe hosting the next two Summer games, look towards N. America, then the newbies.

In terms of the USOC bid, look towards Chicago. The last bid from san Fran was criticized for its small area and length between venues that were to be spread out in the metro area. Chicago has a great spirit, money, venues (Soldier Field is not in bad condition and it would be perfect), plus all of the "slums" could be reinvented into nice neighborhoods and better housing. Chicago would be perfect for the Olympics, and the mayor has already stated that he wants the olympics to come to Chicago.
Rufus no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #3066
Effer
E Pluribus Unum

Likes (Received): 226

Chicago, it's a sports city!
Effer no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #3067
rantanamo

Likes (Received): 353

The Olympic Committee has no obligation to spread the games for the sake of spreading. They'd ideally like to, but they also have the responsibility of finding capable hosts. If that means the U.S. every 20 years at this point, then that's just what has to be done.
rantanamo no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #3068
dewback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus
(Soldier Field is not in bad condition and it would be perfect),
Soldier Field is Chicago's weakest point. It can't host an athletic track according to the parameters, and if it hosts it would be the first inagural/closing ceremonies stadium not to host athletics in quite a bit.

The stadium is not only is unsuitable for an Olympic stadium in its present form, but the last mess created during its "renovation" will make any Olympic transformation hard to to achieve. Daley's plan is to build a new stadium for a 2nd NFL team in Chicago, but that would nearly impossible with LA trying to get its first NFL team after a decade or so of losing its own teams.

Another possibility is using a college stadium instead of Soldiers Field. Northwestern U has Ryan arena in Evanston (which is adjunt to a mid sized building which might complicate its expansion from 40,000 seats), U of Illinois Urbana-Champaign has Memorial Stadium, and that makes more sense, although it the stadium isn't that close to the city (isn't like 2 hours away on car?).
Old May 14th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #3069
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

can u guys post some pics of the possible alternatives for chicago? as a main olympic stadium
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #3070
Azn_chi_boi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Chicago... then if not, SF...

If Atlanta could hold one olympics, St. Louis could hold one that was suppose to be in Chicago, and LA could hold 2... then Chicago could hold one...
Azn_chi_boi no está en línea  
Old May 14th, 2006, 11:42 PM   #3071
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:08 AM   #3072
ozscorpio7
all american!

Likes (Received): 3

San Francisco Just in time to show of the new bay bridge ,beautifull spectacular city. if not Chicago

But I honestly don't think the US would get it now , The US has such a bad image now around the world , You know why, And we messed up in atlanta (in the eyes of the world) ,
I guess most people judge the games by the innaguration ceremony and Altlanta was after Barcelona (cool fire arrow) and before Sydney (cool water alien type fire) .

We have so many talented people here in the USA why not just hire the guy that used to do the Michael Jackson videos to make an spectacular innagutation like an US olimpiad deserves? have actually good music like eric clapton or a really good singer someone you like ,If we use all our tecnology and potential we would probably make the best olimpics in history.
ozscorpio7 no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2006, 12:15 AM   #3073
vivayo
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

I thinkn that at the moment a US candidate will be waisting its time, the image of the US around the world is at a new low, nothing against the american people, but your president just keep it coming,,,

also the Atlanta factor, cataloged by many as the worst games in recent years,,,

not to mention that many world cities ( Paris, Rio, Madrid, Moscow,,etc) that can rival any major american city are well interested in hosting the games,,,

And New York proved to be a very weak contender, considering the potential of the city, I mean they didnt even aproveed the olympic stadium

Last edited by vivayo; May 15th, 2006 at 12:22 AM.
vivayo no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:36 AM   #3074
Rufus

Likes (Received): 15

what exactly is wrong with Soldier Field, minus the fact that many opinions on the stadium have been about its modern appearance?
Rufus no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2006, 01:59 AM   #3075
Ginza

Likes (Received): 7

In my opinion a different country should be choosen to host the 2016 Olympics
Ginza no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2006, 02:27 AM   #3076
ChiLooper
Da Bears

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain1974
Chicago is a bit of a hole not too far from downtown.
Old May 15th, 2006, 02:57 AM   #3077
Jules

Likes (Received): 37

Chicago of course. What kind of question is this?
Jules no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:48 AM   #3078
mouse_boy
Mouse_boy

Likes (Received): 0

YEEA San Fransica sounds dope. I think it will bring the most ammount of tourist money into that city than any of the other American city list choice.
mouse_boy no está en línea  
Old May 15th, 2006, 09:47 AM   #3079
dewback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus
what exactly is wrong with Soldier Field, minus the fact that many opinions on the stadium have been about its modern appearance?
Like most of the NFL stadiums out there it can't host a IAAF approved track and field course. To install one it would require a new renovation and a further expansion of the number of seats.
Old May 20th, 2006, 07:56 PM   #3080
redspork02

Likes (Received): 813

*San Francisco would be a Beutiful Choice so i will Cheer for them to win.
There last bid had some problems, i think that there problem was that there venues were to spread out.

*Chicago would be my second choice great all american city.
I think there going to have trouble with there "new" stadium being biult, similar to New Yorks Problem.

*Philadelphia would be a good choice also would garner more recognition as which it needs. beutiful city, historic.

*L.A. is the easy way out from all the choices, i would love to see the games held here but the 84 olympiad hurts its case, everything else is in place already and the city council approved the new stadium redevelopement plan for the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.
Heres the forum For that:L.A. Remodeled Coliseum forum and discussion or look below....

*Houston is the thumb in this one, most people know about Houston but probably cant find it on a map, but maybe after the other 3 cities i would choose Houston , Why not? but who knows? its a great city and Reliant Stadium is Awesome, one of the best if seen.

but im biased and i clicked L.A. lol

redspork02 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016