daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 7th, 2005, 02:14 PM   #301
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocaps75
After seeing how thegames have transformed cities like Barcelona and Athens into beutiful modern cities I doubt Lison which is already so great will have any problem doing it.
Athens proved to the world that small countries can host amazing Olympics, an "unforgettable dream games" to be exact. Contrary to some peoples beliefs Athens is more beutiful today than ever before and now is modern and one of the cleaner cities in Europe with all kinds of state of the art public transportation. I am not saying this to brag about Athens but to show the great effects an Olympic ames can leave on a city and country.

I hope in 2016 Portugal will have it's chance to shine.

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2005, 05:07 PM   #302
Tosco
Nid de Poule

Likes (Received): 0

I will support Lisbon 2016
Tosco no está en línea  
Old January 7th, 2005, 06:49 PM   #303
Loranga
Hoj!

Likes (Received): 4

Hey guys, it was just a question without any implications at all from my side.

I don't know at all if Euro 2004 or Athens 2004 got any E.U money, that's why you ask people, right?

Whether it is offensive to ask a straight question, I don't know.
Loranga no está en línea  
Old January 8th, 2005, 02:54 AM   #304
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Likes (Received): 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loranga
Hey guys, it was just a question without any implications at all from my side.

I don't know at all if Euro 2004 or Athens 2004 got any E.U money, that's why you ask people, right?

Whether it is offensive to ask a straight question, I don't know.
No, not at all. Feel free to ask.

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2005, 03:31 AM   #305
GuilhermeC
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

No! Paris Madrid London Moscow too many candidates for Europe for 2012. I seriously doubt New York gets it, and if that happens (90% it won't) that's the only chance Lisbon will have to host 2016.

Buenos Aires 2016!
GuilhermeC no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2005, 04:17 AM   #306
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

there is nothing wrong with lisbon nobody doubts lisbons abilities to host the games its just that perhaps taking the games to new frontiers will be good for the future of the olympic games....
BA 2016
Cape Town 2020
Asian city 2024
but when lisbon bids it will have tough opposition as london new york etc might bid again

also IOC might favour those who lost out in 2012 bid so new york could give BA a run for its money eventhough i think its greedy for north america not to give south america a chance
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2005, 07:13 PM   #307
Fern

Likes (Received): 1926

Special request by Mo Rush:

This is the Jamor Sports Complex:

Olympic Swimming Pool- the pics taken by me aren't great but they were all I had time for and u get the idea!!

The national stadium which i think wouldn't just be refurbished but demolished and replaced by a new olympic stadium.

You can see that if Lisbon is to host the olympics a load of work will have to be done but at least the basis is there.
Fern no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2005, 09:32 PM   #308
Mo Rush

CAPE TOWN

Thanks a lot i really appreciate it, those images are great and i particularly like the aquatic centre and the tennis centre as cape town has neither although it can create an indoor centre for swimming just some cape town existing venues:

BELHAR SPORTS CENTRE BADMINTON: (8,000)

AQUATIC TRAINING VENUE

CASTLE OF GOOD HOPE (5,000) AND GOODHOPE CENTRE (6,000)
(top of image) FENCING AND TABLE TENNIS

VELODROME : CYCLING (6,000)

HOCKEY CENTRE HARTLEYVALE

NEWLANDS RUGBY STADIUM - SOCCER 50,000

NEWLANDS CRICKET STADIUM - BASEBALL 25,000 and NEWLANDS SWIMMING CENTREswimming centre to the right and north of the cricket field

GREENPOINT STADIUM SOCCER 20,000

CAPE TOWN INTERNATIONAL CONVENTION CENTRE - WRESTLING AND WEIGHLIFTING

ATHLONE STADIUM - 25,000

TURFHALL SOFTBALL STADIUM

BEACH VOLLEYBALL CAMPS BAY BEACH

image taken 2004 FIVB WORLD CUP

POSSIBLE EQUESTRIAN CENTRE

CYCLING ROAD RACE

MARATHON

Well those are some of cape towns venues its not much but we are proud of what we do have
[IMG]http://cache.***********.com/comp/50953457.jpg?x=x&dasite=MS_GINS&ef=2&ev=1&dareq=E2399169AC85D6DE270A5654A50D61F01AF62BFC5449CC06[/IMG]

Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old January 12th, 2005, 03:22 AM   #309
Vampwiech

Likes (Received):

Moscow Moscow Moscow Moscow????????

Old January 12th, 2005, 03:24 AM   #310
birminghamculture
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampwiech
Moscow Moscow Moscow Moscow????????
Drunk Drunk Drunk Drunk????????
birminghamculture no está en línea  
Old January 14th, 2005, 03:47 AM   #311
grg1992

1. Madrid
2. New York
3. London
4. Paris
5. Moscow
grg1992 no está en línea  
Old January 14th, 2005, 04:02 AM   #312
kony

Likes (Received): 1241

why bother , the Queen on england herself believe in Paris2012 !

Quote:
Thursday, January 13, 2005
London 2012 Officials Deny Queen’s Remarks About London’s Chances
Posted 1:03 pm ET (GamesBids.com)

London 2012 bid officials Thursday called it “nonsense” that the Queen reportedly has said Paris will win the bid for the 2012 Summer Olympic Games.

In a private conversation during a reception for Britons who have made outstanding contributions to the country held at Buckingham Palace, the Queen is reportedly to have told a community worker she thought Paris would win because London’s bid lacked public support.

Amran Hussain, 19, who works with the deaf, was quoted in the Daily Mail as saying “I told her I was from Newham, a London borough which is backing the bid for 2012. I thought she would be really enthusiastic and go into the subject of the economic benefits, but she straight away said she thought that Paris would win. I was quite shocked because she’d previously been backing the London bid”.

According to Hussain the Queen said Paris has the best chance of winning. She said that Paris had a lot of backing from the public and “we don’t have that, unfortunately”.

Buckingham Palace refused Thursday to deny or confirm the content of the conversation. A spokesman said, “the Queen has thousands of conversations with people every year and we never confirm or deny any of them. The Queen has shown her support for the London 2012 team by hosting a reception in June last year”.

London 2012 spokesman Mike Lee said, “we believe this is a bit of nonsense that is not going to have an impact on the bid. It is not damaging. It is not verifiable that she said that.

“Those comments don’t fit with our experience of the Royal Family. They have been positive and the Queen herself has been very supportive”.

He added, “the campaign for the bid is in great shape, support is growing and recent polls say that it is between 70-75 per cent”.

Meanwhile the Telegraph reports that London 2012 is preparing for the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) evaluation commission visit February 16-19 by staging a mock visit a few days before the real event.

London 2012 has gathered together a dozen or so people who have been on previous evaluation commission visits who will be given a tour of the proposed sites and sit through 17 presentations designed to convey how London would stage the Games.

Also, Richard Sambrook, head of BBC World, has written a letter to IOC President Jacques Rogge asking him to reconsider the IOC’s decision to cancel the 2012 bid cities television debate.
kony no está en línea  
Old January 14th, 2005, 04:20 AM   #313
Mo Rush

The reality is that paris seems to be losing global support and fast, this will open the door for london, but madrid support is also somewhat strong but not strong enough to convince 50+ IOC members that the games should go back to spain, perhaps im wrong in saying paris is losing support but perhaps IMO they are assuming that they will win and this could be to their advantage i must say that i wll be glad and not schocked if london wins... the person who discovered and exposed the ioc members for corruption could have made sure that they either vote for london or he will expose them????

but the race for 2012 is closer than we think if any of us think we have any clue about how close or how unclose the voting will be im sure we certainly will be wrong
for come july in singapore the IOC might shock the world by revealing new yorks name but i always go with the betting people as they have been right many times and they say london so as long as the hype around the london bid continues and ioc memebers are convinced that london is the best bid then london shall win

HOWEVER we all know the losers win second time round
1.athens won second time round after losing out to atlanta
2. beijing won second time round as they were pipped at the post by sydney
3. perhaps paris will win the second time round as well, i think what we need to realise that europe does have the most voters in the ioc and that the way the votes are split wil be critical however paris should not count on europe voting for them alone, london can expect huge support from north america as soon as new york gets booted out of the voting process madrid will fall soon after new york leaving london and paris

Paris will receive prob most of the european vote unless london works extra hard...
i have no doubt that perhaps the close UK US ties will ensure london of the majority of north americas vote BUT the canadians who are french at heart might swing towards paris, leaving south america who if convinced enough could send their votes to london or paris if perhaps they can assure BA or Rio of their support for 2016

that leaves Asia who IMO might be tempted to vote for london but then paris also offers a strong technical bid and the asians might have to stike a deal .....

oceania i think honestly will go for london not that they have many votes

which LEAVES africa who think in particularly SA that london should support cape towns future olympic bid...north africa could go to paris as france were supporters of the moroccan bid but certain votes towards central and southern africa could see london in with a big chance....

BUT at the end of the day it could come done to who has the best relationship with the russians? who will they vote for once moscow is booted out although moscow IMO would not get more than 20 votes these could be the ones that decide the fate of the paris or london bid and tony blair better improve his relations with vladimir putin so that london does not go home crying!!!
this is just my opinion
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old January 14th, 2005, 04:23 AM   #314
Mo Rush

I conducted a very simple poll in south africa amongst friends who despite being aware that barcelona hosted the games in 1992 thought that madrid would be good hosts
SO madrid won
followed by london which confuses the issue further south africans should support london who suported SA2010 but its only one vote and im sure sam ramsamy(nocasa president) might go for london
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old January 14th, 2005, 04:25 AM   #315
Ellatur

Likes (Received): 10

to think that NYC has not hosted the games yet.. its unfathomable..
NYC
Ellatur no está en línea  
Old January 14th, 2005, 04:43 AM   #316
GORAN3
BANNED

sydney shud do it agen !
GORAN3 no está en línea  
Old January 14th, 2005, 10:15 AM   #317
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

The Queen is alleged there is no proof she said this only the word of someone who waited a few months to 'sell' the story to the newspapers. She said that because of better public support in Paris, that Paris could win. So isn't saying Paris is better, or that she doesn't like London's bid, but that Londoners need to support the bid more.
Old January 15th, 2005, 08:18 PM   #318
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern
What's not big enough Lisbon? How about Cape Town, Mo Rush?? Huge metropolis isn't it!? U know ur comments are starting to get a little annoying!!
I couldnt agree more. U must learn that cape town will probarbly not get the games so please stop posting crap about what may happen. Not being mean or anything but u think that cape town is better than anyother city. IMO I would love to see many european countrys hosting the games. That way they have more meaning. There closer to there origin. also are those pics stadiums that will be used? It looks like a Flshback to sydney were architecture didnt exist. this is why i love europe hosting games. They actually put in effort to make things Spectacular, No Cheap Generic stadiums. I really hope for SA sake that if you do somehow manage to get it you will Not use the majority of these stadiums. For example the velodrome is WAY below the bar set by the Athens one.
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2005, 08:31 PM   #319
Soundwave
Evil Decepticons

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy007
Madrid!!!!! I hope!

Hahaha, If I was a comittee member , I surely will not vote for Madrid.
I think those guys , there are racists.

If not to mention what happened to coloured players of the national English soccer team.

And I think Spain is also country who is not very fond with Arabist people.

When you think about the match-up, I think Paris , London, New York and Moscow are to impressive. Madrid could do things better by saving the finance -promotion and invest it into other things.

Because they don't have a ghost of a chance.

Madrid
Soundwave no está en línea  
Old January 15th, 2005, 08:35 PM   #320
rufi
Against Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave
Hahaha, If I was a comittee member , I surely will not vote for Madrid.
I think those guys , there are racists.

If not to mention what happened to coloured players of the national English soccer team.

And I think Spain is also country who is not very fond with Arabist people.

When you think about the match-up, I think Paris , London, New York and Moscow are to impressive. Madrid could do things better by saving the finance -promotion and invest it into other things.

Because they don't have a ghost of a chance.

Madrid
And how about your prince ? He dresses up like a nazi.

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016