daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old June 19th, 2006, 07:32 AM   #3321
Paulo2004
Luso from Aveiro

Likes (Received): 57

I'll go for Argentina too.

For the best photos or information on Portugal, visit the PORTUGUESE FORUM.
Paulo2004 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2006, 02:48 PM   #3322
Enzo911
Por Astérix

Likes (Received): 0

I think Buenos Aires or NYC. Madrid for 2020
Enzo911 no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:18 AM   #3323
Reptilikus

Likes (Received): 4

Copenhagen is not a option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy
Also, the chances of another European country getting the games in 2016 are rather slim. Better to have put another city like Delhi instead of Copenhagen.
I'm am quite surprised to even see Copenhagen on the list.
I live in Denmark and so far I heard, Copenhagen would first apply for the Olympics for 2024. And even that is very uncertain.

The athletic facilities are old and poorly preserved, so I doesn't think Copenhagen ever really is a candidate!
Reptilikus no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:46 AM   #3324
Reptilikus

Likes (Received): 4

If you use commen sense some of the candidates can be ruled out beforehand.
It is unrealistic that a European city is to host the olympics again after London.
That rules out Istanbul, Moscow and Copenhagen.

South Africa has been awarded the Soccer World Cup in 2010, so I doesn't think they gonna get two big events in so short period of time.
That rules out Johannesburg.

I also doesn't think a city in the far east is going to get the Olympics when China has had it in 2008. That rules out Tokyo.

That leaves us which cities from North- or South America.
A lot of things depend on where the Soccer World Cup is placed, because it's well known that it's South America's "turn" to host the Cup in 2014.
Brazil is the big favourite, and if they win the tournament, then they are out of the Olympic race.

So Buenos Aires or New York is the logic bits, unless some new cities comes up. Maybe New Delhi or Dubai....
Reptilikus no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:48 AM   #3325
SNL
BANNED

Likes (Received): 23

Chicago will get it b4 NY. ny is a proven failure.
SNL no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2006, 02:10 AM   #3326
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptilikus
If you use commen sense some of the candidates can be ruled out beforehand.
It is unrealistic that a European city is to host the olympics again after London.
That rules out Istanbul, Moscow and Copenhagen.

South Africa has been awarded the Soccer World Cup in 2010, so I doesn't think they gonna get two big events in so short period of time.
That rules out Johannesburg.

I also doesn't think a city in the far east is going to get the Olympics when China has had it in 2008. That rules out Tokyo.

That leaves us which cities from North- or South America.
A lot of things depend on where the Soccer World Cup is placed, because it's well known that it's South America's "turn" to host the Cup in 2014.
Brazil is the big favourite, and if they win the tournament, then they are out of the Olympic race.

So Buenos Aires or New York is the logic bits, unless some new cities comes up. Maybe New Delhi or Dubai....
correction: that rules out cape town...
2. tokyo could with good lobbying outdo chicago in the wow factor..im sure they planning something better than a collapsible stadium
3.brazil out of the olympic race? suuure..i see part of ur logic BUT...lol rio's chances are as great as ever and were one of the early favourites for 2012 before they suprisingly did not make the shortlist
4. a european city could win if it wanted to...madrid, rome both capable and both were the power to get enough votes and steal 2016...madrid came close in 2012 up against a strong field...discounting their chances is a fatal error.
5. istanbul might not win this time but they;ll bid again until they win someday
6. new york..yeah a city that has no intention to bid for 2016 can certainly win
7. buenos aires chances are not great...although im a huge supporter of a BA bid, i dont think the IOC will see a BA bid in 2016 as the right time for the argentinean economy
8. new delhi and dubai? forget about it...

rule one: dont rule out cities too early...

rule two: it comes down to votes..a european city with the support of europe behind it which btw is a large chunk of voters could throw their weight behind e.g. madrid if it was madrid up against chicago in the final round...

careful of predictions and "ruling" out cities..
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2006, 06:16 AM   #3327
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptilikus
I'm am quite surprised to even see Copenhagen on the list.
I live in Denmark and so far I heard, Copenhagen would first apply for the Olympics for 2024. And even that is very uncertain.

The athletic facilities are old and poorly preserved, so I doesn't think Copenhagen ever really is a candidate!
Noone knows why copenhagen is on the list, not even us. And as you can see only 2 people voted for it, so...why cares... It will however, as people know, be dicided who will host in 2016, at the conference in copenhagen in 2009.

As for facileties being old, yes, but they pretty much are anywhere, eventhough some in copenhagen are pretty bad. But noone expects an olympic to be held without investments. And most of the activeties wont be held at current facileties, as they are too small...

Anyways. I think Europe could easely win 2016. okay, maybe not easily, but they could. The IOC has strongly encouriged Madrid to apply again. Paris is out, and so is Moscow. I dont believe in Asia for 2016 or the Middleeast with Turkey or Dubai (and please lets not argue where either is located, noone cares).

In 2016 it will be 20 years since America hosted, and because of the unwritten rules of the games, they will probably get it, if they can present a good candidate and not screw up, both in tearms of the games and world politics...

And NO, that candidate will not be New York. For the love of god people, New York is not a candidate for the Games....
cphdude no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:00 PM   #3328
Mo Rush

guys add durban to that list.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:11 PM   #3329
dANIEL2004

What is Durban? Where is it?
dANIEL2004 no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2006, 01:45 PM   #3330
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by dANIEL2004
What is Durban? Where is it?
dont say that its south african city
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2006, 02:13 PM   #3331
dANIEL2004

And why Durban has to host olympics? If Olympics will go to SA the next 100 years, it will be in Cape town or Johanesburg. These are enough world famous..but Durban???
Old June 22nd, 2006, 02:14 PM   #3332
Mo Rush

Durban to bid for 2016 Olympics
22/06/2006 08:04 - (SA)

Durban - Durban is being touted as the next city to host the 2016 Olympic Games.

Launching the city's Durban Beach Africa beach festival on Wednesday evening, the city's deputy mayor, Logie Naidoo, said: "We believe that the 2016 Olympic Games should come to Durban. Cape Town has had its chance. It's time for Durban to bid for this biggest of events."

No decision has, however, been made by the city's executive council, he said.

He cited Durban's facilities and the recent announcement that a R1.6bn stadium is to be built next to the Sharks' rugby stadium in preparation for the 2010 Soccer World Cup.

"2010 will be an important year, but we have always said 2010 and beyond."

Speaking after the press launch of the festival, Naidoo said that if Durban did make a bid for the Olympic Games, it stood a very good chance with South African and former National Olympic Committee president Sam Ramsamy being a member of the executive board of the International Olympic Committee.

Ramsamy hails from Durban.

The 2012 Olympics are to be held in London.

Cape Town had bid to stage the 2004 Olympics but lost out to the eventual winner Athens.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2006, 02:16 PM   #3333
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 482

Good Luck with that
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:05 PM   #3334
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
And why Durban has to host olympics? If Olympics will go to SA the next 100 years, it will be in Cape town or Johanesburg. These are enough world famous..but Durban???
Hey screw you dick head we will be famous world wide after 2010! Atlanta wasnt as famous as Miami, California, New York how come they got to host the olympics? huh?

Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:06 PM   #3335
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Gioяgos]
Good Luck with that
Oooh now whos teasing other peoples cities

Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:14 PM   #3336
dANIEL2004

You really dont know how Atlanta bought..oops sorry, I mean won the race of the Olympic bid for 1996
As for your nice expressions , I m nopt a dick head but u really need spme education..are any schools in the place u live?
Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:23 PM   #3337
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbsboi
Oooh now whos teasing other peoples cities
Im not teasing, Im just saying goodluck....its a long shot.
Giorgio no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:28 PM   #3338
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durbsboi
Hey screw you dick head we will be famous world wide after 2010!
Yes of course you will. Don't worry I believe you.
Newcastle Guy no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:31 PM   #3339
Mo Rush

Quote:
You really dont know how Atlanta bought..oops sorry, I mean won the race of the Olympic bid for 1996
As for your nice expressions , I m nopt a dick head but u really need spme education..are any schools in the place u live?
daniel u can do better than that "schools" thing..durbsboi is a professional in his industry
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old June 22nd, 2006, 04:37 PM   #3340
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

But according to the poll Buenos Aires will win it(46%), so better luck next time?
(Durban is not in it so that makes life easy for BA ofcourse ....)

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016