daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 12th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #3421
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
There's really no point for Madrid or any other European city to announce a bid for 2016. It's not very realistic anyway, though it could be a good runup to a 2020 bid, like many cities do. I think it's South America or Africa's turn to get it though.
well, IOC has strongly urged Madrid to aply, so I guess you'll never know for sure....
cphdude no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:07 AM   #3422
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude
well, IOC has strongly urged Madrid to aply, so I guess you'll never know for sure....
well samaranch still has enough influenc to get 20+ votes for madrid...i wouldnt count them out..but a madrid vs rio vs chicago vs tokyo battle shud be interesting...
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:09 AM   #3423
elgoyo

Likes (Received): 0

Ive heard that a mexican city, either Monterrey or Guadalajara are willing to make a bid for 2016, but the mexican olympic comity has yet to deside wich one
elgoyo no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:20 AM   #3424
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
well samaranch still has enough influenc to get 20+ votes for madrid...i wouldnt count them out..but a madrid vs rio vs chicago vs tokyo battle shud be interesting...
Indeed. Though I still believe the US will take this one....
cphdude no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:22 AM   #3425
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude
Indeed. Though I still believe the US will take this one....
i suppose that might be the reality if the USA bid...i dont think they deserve the games though. if they really cared about the olympic games they would throw their support behind rio.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:23 AM   #3426
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgoyo
Ive heard that a mexican city, either Monterrey or Guadalajara are willing to make a bid for 2016, but the mexican olympic comity has yet to deside wich one
Neither of them have a big enough name, im afraid....Many people dont know them and only 3 years to the vote...
cphdude no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:28 AM   #3427
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Quote:
i suppose that might be the reality if the USA bid...i dont think they deserve the games though. if they really cared about the olympic games they would throw their support behind rio.
I think the learnd their lesson from the last vote, were New York did not get the propper suport. All plans I have seen so far indicates that they are very serious this time, and the US olympic group gave already excluded New York....I think if they can get their stuf together, and present a propper bid, it will be hard for the IOC to ignore, especially because of the 20 year rule and all....
cphdude no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:34 AM   #3428
cmc

Likes (Received): 253

I've said this once, and to me the strong bids are from Latin American cities and Canadian cities, and US cities have a chance, why... well let's just base it on passed hosts and future picked hosts.

Barcelona 1992- Europe
Atlanta 1996- American Continent
Sydney 2000- Oceania
Athens 2004- Europe
Beijing 2008- Asia
London 2012- Europe
?????? 2016- American Continent

**Strong American Continent Bids**
Monterrey (MEX)
Guadalajara (MEX)
Rio de Janeiro (BRA)
Buenos Aires (ARG)
Houston (USA)
Chicago (USA)
San Fransisco (USA)

Last edited by cmc; July 13th, 2006 at 06:24 AM.
cmc no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:38 AM   #3429
elgoyo

Quote:
The olympics in 2016 is going to the americas there is no doubt as the last time was 1996 in atlanta. With sydney, athens, bejing, and london having the next four additions the big Tv money people with NBC will want the games in the eastern time zone or somewheres close.
Ive heard that thats why we want the olympics over here at Mexico, since were at the central time zone.
Guadalajara will be hosting the Panamerican games at 2011 and Monterrey will be hosting the "forum universal de las culturas", so both citys are up for a test.

For those of you who dont know, Guadalajara is the second largets city in Mexico, it has a metropolitan area of abot six million and it is the birthplace of tequila and mariachi music and home to very beutiful colonial architecture.

Monterrey is the third largest city of the country with a metropolitan area of about four millon, it is the industrial capital of Mexico and has strong comercial ties with the US, specially with Texas. It is home to norteŮo culture (something kind of like what is known as western or cowboy in the USA) and very beutifal mountains.

elgoyo no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:43 AM   #3430
Bluesence

Likes (Received): 798

[QUOTE=elgoyo][SIZE=4]

Ive heard that thats why we want the olympics over here at Mexico, since were at the central time zone.
Guadalajara will be hosting the Panamerican games at 2011 and Monterrey will be hosting the "forum universal de las culturas", so both citys are up for a test.

For those of you who dont know, Guadalajara is the second larg
Bluesence no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:44 AM   #3431
Bluesence

Likes (Received): 798

I would like Lisbon to host the Olympic Games in 2016 or 2020...
Bluesence no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:10 AM   #3432
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:

huh? How does that make any sense? When has any one nations Olympic organizing committee ever campaigned for another country to host over one of their cities? If France, India, or Australia don't push for Rio or whoever do they not care about the Olympic movement either? Why are you putting this responsibility on the U.S.?

The only job the USOC has is to put their best bid forward from the U.S. and let the IOC decide and determine which city in the world would be best to host the games that year.

If Rio could overcome some clear hurdles I think most people including myself would love to see a games in that location. But Rio has to earn it and it is not the job of anyone else other then those in Brazil and of Rio to make that case that they are the best option.

Also I would like to know how does every U.S. city not deserve any consideration of hosting a games? I mean I know that a city like Chicago and San Fran absoluely stink in terms of stadium, infrastrucutre, and cultural offerings compared to say Cape Town but still maybe they deserve a bit of consideration?
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:39 AM   #3433
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee
huh? How does that make any sense? When has any one nations Olympic organizing committee ever campaigned for another country to host over one of their cities? If France, India, or Australia don't push for Rio or whoever do they not care about the Olympic movement either? Why are you putting this responsibility on the U.S.?

The only job the USOC has is to put their best bid forward from the U.S. and let the IOC decide and determine which city in the world would be best to host the games that year.

If Rio could overcome some clear hurdles I think most people including myself would love to see a games in that location. But Rio has to earn it and it is not the job of anyone else other then those in Brazil and of Rio to make that case that they are the best option.

Also I would like to know how does every U.S. city not deserve any consideration of hosting a games? I mean I know that a city like Chicago and San Fran absoluely stink in terms of stadium, infrastrucutre, and cultural offerings compared to say Cape Town but still maybe they deserve a bit of consideration?
dont get me wrong im not against the US bidding...i just dont think they shud be awarded the 2016 games..based on this unofficial 20 year cycle..i think the IOC needs to move forward towards new frontiers ...and 2016 is the time to start
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 01:51 AM   #3434
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
dont get me wrong im not against the US bidding...i just dont think they shud be awarded the 2016 games..based on this unofficial 20 year cycle..i think the IOC needs to move forward towards new frontiers ...and 2016 is the time to start
I can understand that sentiment (especially if one is not American). Even as one I somewhat agree with you. However I would say that is differant then "not deserving". There are at least a few in the U.S. that are more then capble and would make good host. Should they host as opposed to spreading the wealth so to speak is another issue.

I would like to see more diversity of places host the games as well. It is the IOC that has to weigh the considerations of going to new frontiers and picking the city with the best infrastrucute and other considerations to host a games though.
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:11 AM   #3435
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmc
I've said this once, and to me the strong bids are from Latin American cities and Canadian cities, and US cities have a chance, why... well let's just base it on passed hosts and future picked hosts.

Barcelona 1992- Europe
Atlanta 1996- American Continent
Sydney 2000- Oceania
Athens 2004- Europe
Beijing 2008- Asia
London 2012- Europe
?????? 2016- American Continent

**Strong American Continent Bids**
Monterrey (MEX)
Guadalajara (MEX)
Rio de Janeiro (BRA)
Buenos Aires (ARG)
Houston (USA)
Chicago (USA)
San Fransisco (USA)
New York (USA)

people, the official 5 for the US are Los Angeles, SF, Chicago, Houston, Philly. New York is not a canidate.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:24 AM   #3436
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan
people, the official 5 for the US are Los Angeles, SF, Chicago, Houston, Philly. New York is not a canidate.
yeah some are still convinced new york is in the race...others thin dubai might win 2016...
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 06:27 AM   #3437
cmc

Likes (Received): 253

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan
Well don't get wrong or anything but I put my US favorites, and to me L.A. and Philadelphia don't stand a chance.
cmc no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 07:43 AM   #3438
elgoyo

Of all the US cities, I say Chicago or San Francisco, since both are "tourist friendly cities" and you can get by on foot. Houston and LA are very dificult to get around for pedestrians and tourists.

And another thing, a mexican city wont get the olympics at 2016, but im sure we will keep on biding.

As a note, Atlanta is the only city that has gotten the olympics on the first bid.
elgoyo no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #3439
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgoyo
Of all the US cities, I say Chicago or San Francisco, since both are "tourist friendly cities" and you can get by on foot. Houston and LA are very dificult to get around for pedestrians and tourists.

And another thing, a mexican city wont get the olympics at 2016, but im sure we will keep on biding.

As a note, Atlanta is the only city that has gotten the olympics on the first bid.
please stop using large bold text.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:36 PM   #3440
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv

Likes (Received): 142

they abit slooow, so hence they need to express them self in that way

Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016