daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 13th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #3441
zee
Jelly Bean!!

Likes (Received): 17

and its always the new boys
zee no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2006, 08:48 PM   #3442
cmc

Likes (Received): 253

Well in a more chillout note!!!!!
Here are some pics of Monterrey (A 2016 Candidate)

cmc no está en línea  
Old July 13th, 2006, 11:33 PM   #3443
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmc
Well in a more chillout note!!!!!
Here are some pics of Monterrey (A 2016 Candidate)

good luck with ur bid. but 2016 just aint gonna happen for monterrey
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2006, 06:26 AM   #3444
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Likes (Received): 15

Amen to that...

btw, is it my imagination (or lack of skills) or is their website not even in english?

Last edited by cphdude; July 14th, 2006 at 06:32 AM.
cphdude no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2006, 06:30 AM   #3445
GrigorisSokratis

Likes (Received): 11

I don't know about 2016 but for 2020 Thessaloniki would be great!

So let's go Thessaloniki 2020!!!
GrigorisSokratis no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2006, 08:27 AM   #3446
ChicagoFan

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude
Amen to that...

btw, is it my imagination (or lack of skills) or is their website not even in english?
English is not the universal language!!!

Chicago 2016 !!!
The Olympics are going to North America, South America or Africa. Not Asia, Middle East, or Europe.
For US or Chicago Olympic News Check out http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...l=chi-news-hed

Last edited by ChicagoFan; July 14th, 2006 at 08:38 AM.
ChicagoFan no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2006, 11:38 AM   #3447
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoFan
English is not the universal language!!!
Ehm...Its more universial then Spanish...

And besides, this is an olympic page....Where english is most certainly the universial language....
cphdude no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2006, 11:35 PM   #3448
cmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
good luck with ur bid. but 2016 just aint gonna happen for monterrey
How about a little more respect Mo Rush, I don't know if respect is common in SA and I don't really care, but if we're playing like that.. many are doubting that south africa is not going to be ready to host the 2010 WC
cmc no está en línea  
Old July 14th, 2006, 11:51 PM   #3449
firulo

Likes (Received): 14

Monterrey looks great! I still prefer Buenos Aires, but Monterrey is a good option too.
firulo no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2006, 12:18 AM   #3450
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmc
How about a little more respect Mo Rush, I don't know if respect is common in SA and I don't really care, but if we're playing like that.. many are doubting that south africa is not going to be ready to host the 2010 WC
i was in a bad mood okay sorry..
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2006, 12:29 AM   #3451
Chilenofuturista
Zug->für 'ne bessere welt

Likes (Received): 274

of those listed above:

Hopefully São Paulo, Johannesburg or (mi) Buenos Aires (querido..)....

I'm dead sick of seing the Olympic Games going to cities in Europe, North America or Asia. It just isn't fair (it's not very democratic) nor creative. It divides the world into different leagues consisting of an A-league (Europe, North America and the Far East of Asia) and a B-league (rest of the world). Incredible considering that almost all countries in the world form part of the IOC and every single one of them pays an annual fee, but that doesn't seem to count when they elect a host nation...

If it would end up in Europe I would hope then for a small nation like Denmark and its capital, Copenhagen. I don't think that Istambul nor Moscow will have a chance. Istambul and Moscow for security reasons + that Moscow has already hosted the games back in 1980. Apart from that, Moscow has excellent communications(buses, underground system, airports), quite good sporting infrastructure, quite many and GOOD hotels and so on...

And I'm f-e-d u-p with the BIG ONES: London, Paris, New York and Tokyo. They're always in for something, never caring about other nations which might be poorer, less influential and that also want to host something. It's just so selfish and greedy.
Old July 15th, 2006, 02:03 AM   #3452
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
i was in a bad mood okay sorry..
You still maneged to tell the truth....No way Monterrey is getting it in 2016....I understand that people are fond of their cities, but people also need to be realistic....
cphdude no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2006, 02:43 AM   #3453
high_flyer

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilenofuturista

And I'm f-e-d u-p with the BIG ONES: London, Paris, New York and Tokyo. They're always in for something, never caring about other nations which might be poorer, less influential and that also want to host something. It's just so selfish and greedy.
Its not about being selfish or greedy, its just they are more capable of hosting them. The IOC only give it to a city that will deliver, and not have to worry about the venues being ready on time.
And people moan about being burdened with debt after hosting the Olympics. If a city like Athens, which is relativly rich, is massivly in debt and will be for years, imagine how badly cities like Rio, Johannesburg, Delhi, Buenos Aries etc will be.

And I think that instead of trying to get something like the Olympics, these cities should spend the money developing their infrastructure, replacing the slums, improving the standard of living etc. You could argue that the Games would bring about this change, but really it would only go on improving the rich areas and developing new areas that the majority of the population could never use, or maybe not even be allowed in to.
high_flyer no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2006, 04:02 AM   #3454
cmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude
You still maneged to tell the truth....No way Monterrey is getting it in 2016....I understand that people are fond of their cities, but people also need to be realistic....
And who's your favorite?????

Copenhagen..... What are the chances!!!!!
cmc no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2006, 04:42 AM   #3455
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmc

copenhagen will be the city in which the announcement of the 2016 host city is named.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 15th, 2006, 11:49 AM   #3456
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmc

If you had botherd to read what i had written in the past, you would have seen that Copenhagen is not my favorite, and besides, Copenhagen is not even a candidate, but as Rush said, the place where the 2016 games will be dicided in 2009. Though I am not suprised that you would imagen things, without having taken the time to get all the facts...

And since you were talking about respect, is it really respectfull to get angry, whenever people expresses their views on your city? Especially not if that city atemptes to be the host of one of the most prestigious events a city can ever have, one only a few cities are cabeble of hosting....A lot of people will tell you its impossible. That has got nothing to do with respect. Many people mistake that, and think that respects means that you can never be critical or truthful about things, but that is not the case.

We are simply telling you what we think. If you dont want to hear that, perhaps you should find another thread....
cphdude no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2006, 02:23 AM   #3457
cmc

....Then why is Copenhagen as a candidate on the poll?????
cmc no está en línea  
Old July 17th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #3458
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmc
....Then why is Copenhagen as a candidate on the poll?????
Why the hell do you ask me? I didnt create this poll....But I guess you cant even be botherd to look at the first page...

Jeez...If you dont know these things, no wonder you think Monterrey can win 2016...
cphdude no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2006, 04:52 AM   #3459
elgoyo

Likes (Received): 0

Maybe Monterrey wont get the 2016 games
the only city that has gotten the games at the first bid is Atlanta

im sure that we will keep on trying it untill we get the games, we have evrything it takes to host them!!!

PS sorry about tha bold text, I really am new over here
elgoyo no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2006, 05:05 AM   #3460
Rufus

as we all know, the IOC selection is about politics, infrastucture, and making a name for themselves and the olympic program. with the current situation in the middle east, expect those countries to be reeling, except maybe UAE and Dubai. the infrastructure of S America, Lower Asia, and Africa is not as built up as the more developed continents, but who knows, that may change in the near future.

the selection is also cyclical. they try to spread out the games amongst the available continents. with beijing, vancouver, and london having been selected, the likely continents have been ruled out, but that doesnt mean that N america or asia will not be in the running for 2016. 2016 would also be 20 years since the US had the summer games, so expect them to push hard, esp. after the NYC blunder. Chicago or San Francisco are the most obvious choices for the USOC and either one will be a finalist for the IOC selection in 2009. Buenos Aires is the best candidate from S america, Johannesburg is a maybe for Africa, but the crime rate there does not help its bid, dubai is a major player in this selection, and will probably represent asia along with Tokyo.

One has to understand that the IOC will always place Europe, N. America, and Asia slightly above the other continents in this process only because they have been the only ones to hold an olympics, and the majority of those games have been successes. look for the trend to continue until one city outside of those continents is selected and proves successful.
Rufus no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016