daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 18th, 2006, 06:25 AM   #3461
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

the three USA finalists for the Olympics are Los Angeles, San Francisco and possibly Chicago!!

thanks to bay_area....

SF To Be Named U.S. Finalist For 2016 Olympics

POSTED: 4:00 pm PDT July 17, 2006
UPDATED: 6:17 pm PDT July 17, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

San Francisco will be named a U.S. finalist for the 2016 Olympics, NBC11's Raj Mathai exclusively reported Monday.

San Francisco will be one of two, possibly three finalists for America. Los Angeles will also be named a finalist, Mathai reported. Chicago could also be named.

Houston and Philadelphia were two of five original candidates that will not earn finalist spots, Mathai reported.

A U.S. Olympic Committee spokesman, Darryl Seibel, said Monday evening the elimination of Houston and Philadelphia from the pool of finalists is not official, saying the committee has not ruled out any of the five cities.

An official decision could come within the next two weeks, Seibel said.

When U.S. Olympic Committee Chairman Peter Ueberroth visited San Francisco on May 18, he said the committee may not even advance a U.S. city to hold the 2016 Games.

San Francisco has never hosted the Olympic Games.

The city competed for the 2012 summer games but lost out in the domestic competition to New York City. New York City, in turn, lost in the international competition to London.

NBC11's Raj Mathai will have more on his exclusive report tonight on the NBC11 News at 5 p.m. and 6 p.m.

http://www.nbc11.com/news/9531344/detail.html
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:41 AM   #3462
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmc
How about a little more respect Mo Rush, I don't know if respect is common in SA and I don't really care, but if we're playing like that.. many are doubting that south africa is not going to be ready to host the 2010 WC
Its his opinion, whats wrong with you? If Monterry do get it, you can rub all in his face. & please dont drag 2010 into this, thats Soccer World cup, totally different from Olympics okay, & let people doubt, just like how many doubted that the new government in SA would obolish Aparthied & run the country properly, the same people who doubted that SA would win the Bid in the first place.

Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2006, 02:11 PM   #3463
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan
the three USA finalists for the Olympics are Los Angeles, San Francisco and possibly Chicago!!

thanks to bay_area....

SF To Be Named U.S. Finalist For 2016 Olympics

POSTED: 4:00 pm PDT July 17, 2006
UPDATED: 6:17 pm PDT July 17, 2006

Email This Story | Print This Story

San Francisco will be named a U.S. finalist for the 2016 Olympics, NBC11's Raj Mathai exclusively reported Monday.

San Francisco will be one of two, possibly three finalists for America. Los Angeles will also be named a finalist, Mathai reported. Chicago could also be named.

Houston and Philadelphia were two of five original candidates that will not earn finalist spots, Mathai reported.
Ha ha...I love when the media exclusively reports on something that most people already are in agreement with....Houston and Philadelphianever had a chance....
cphdude no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:15 PM   #3464
rastafario66

Likes (Received): 0

Monterrey's webpage is in spanish, because that's what they speak in Mexico, just as Fukuoka's and Tokyo's webpages are in japaneese.

I think this has to do with the fact they the IOC only allows you to promote your bid at this point nationally, so unless a country's official language is english, we won't get to see web pages in english, even though they are olympic pages.
rastafario66 no está en línea  
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:32 PM   #3465
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastafario66
Monterrey's webpage is in spanish, because that's what they speak in Mexico....
well, I knew that.
Quote:
I think this has to do with the fact they the IOC only allows you to promote your bid at this point nationally, so unless a country's official language is english, we won't get to see web pages in english, even though they are olympic pages.
Well, I did not know that. If that is true, that would explain it. Though It sounds stupid and I would certainly try and create an other unofficial website in english. Otherwise people wont get the full use of it. What if a smal country of only 10 million people who only speak their language wanted to host, and could only do it in their language, even if it was only for a time....
cphdude no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2006, 04:33 PM   #3466
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by cphdude
Ha ha...I love when the media exclusively reports on something that most people already are in agreement with....Houston and Philadelphianever had a chance....
yeah this happens a lot...
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 19th, 2006, 11:39 PM   #3467
rastafario66

Monterrey news

Well I think this type of forums are good to comunicate and get to know what the cities plans are, untill they are allowed to do so in their own webpages.

So as far as Monterrey I'll add you this last comment I mentioned in another forum of the 2016 olympics.

On a radio interview yesterday at the 1510 Radio Station (government owned Radio Station) the Monterrey 2016 organizers explained how the city is already improving their infrastructure despite the selection of the city as the host for the Olympics.

Here are a few examples of the projects that are currently taking place.

For the organization of the 2007 FORUM of Cultures, event that the city is holding on the months of september, october and november, the city is doing some major changes in infrastructure including, adding to the Parque Fundidora Park an old land owned by the Peñoles company. This land will now be named as Fundidora Park II, and it will include an artifitial lake and the continuation of the Santa Lucia River. This Park now connects the Macroplaza at downtown Monterrey with the Fundidora Park with a river crossing the whole area. This site will be used as the venue for the Triathlon competitions for Monterrey 2016. They are also building a new center for exhibitions, adjecent to Cintermex building (Monterrey's main exhibition center) both buildings will be used for the Media Press Center at 2016. Inside the Fundidora Park is the Monterrey Arena with a capacity of 17,000 spectators. It is the most technological advanced facility in latin america of its kind, and will be used as the venue for Gymnastics and Basketball.

Here's a link for you to see what the event is about, and what they are building already.

http://www.monterreyforum2007.org/

INDE, which is the Government of Nuevo Leon Sport Department is currently restoring Parque Niños Heros (which is adjecent to the University of Nuevo Leon, public university) The restoration includes major modifications on the Velodrome, the archery area and the Tennis courts including 2 Stadium courts. This park will be used as the venue for the sports of Archery, Shooting, Cycling, and Tennis.

The University of Nuevo Leon will finish by the month of october their New Aquatics Center. They claim it will be the finest in latin america. This new center will be the venue for the 2008 World Youth Swimming Championships. The University is also building a new Arena with a capacity of 15,000 or 17,000 spectators. This venue will be used for Volleyball for the Olympics.

The Regiomontana University is building a new Gymnasium with a 5,000 capacity spactator for their new campus at downtown Monterrey, really close to the Macroplaza. This venue will be used for the competitions of Badminton for the 2016 olympics if Monterrey hosts the event. This university is owned by CEMEX the 3rd largest cement company in the world, and one of the companies with huge interests in Monterrey hosting the olympics in 2016.

Finally the ITESM, which is the most important private university in latin america, is building a new Aquatic Center. This site will be open air, and will be able to suit the Swimming events as they will leave space in the project for the Monterrey 2016 organizers to be able to put removable seats for a capacity of 15,000 spectators.
Old July 20th, 2006, 01:42 AM   #3468
Mo Rush

Quote:
Well I think this type of forums are good to comunicate and get to know what the cities plans are, untill they are allowed to do so in their own webpages.

So as far as Monterrey I'll add you this last comment I mentioned in another forum of the 2016 olympics.

On a radio interview yesterday at the 1510 Radio Station (government owned Radio Station) the Monterrey 2016 organizers explained how the city is already improving their infrastructure despite the selection of the city as the host for the Olympics.

Here are a few examples of the projects that are currently taking place.

For the organization of the 2007 FORUM of Cultures, event that the city is holding on the months of september, october and november, the city is doing some major changes in infrastructure including, adding to the Parque Fundidora Park an old land owned by the Peñoles company. This land will now be named as Fundidora Park II, and it will include an artifitial lake and the continuation of the Santa Lucia River. This Park now connects the Macroplaza at downtown Monterrey with the Fundidora Park with a river crossing the whole area. This site will be used as the venue for the Triathlon competitions for Monterrey 2016. They are also building a new center for exhibitions, adjecent to Cintermex building (Monterrey's main exhibition center) both buildings will be used for the Media Press Center at 2016. Inside the Fundidora Park is the Monterrey Arena with a capacity of 17,000 spectators. It is the most technological advanced facility in latin america of its kind, and will be used as the venue for Gymnastics and Basketball.

Here's a link for you to see what the event is about, and what they are building already.

http://www.monterreyforum2007.org/

INDE, which is the Government of Nuevo Leon Sport Department is currently restoring Parque Niños Heros (which is adjecent to the University of Nuevo Leon, public university) The restoration includes major modifications on the Velodrome, the archery area and the Tennis courts including 2 Stadium courts. This park will be used as the venue for the sports of Archery, Shooting, Cycling, and Tennis.

The University of Nuevo Leon will finish by the month of october their New Aquatics Center. They claim it will be the finest in latin america. This new center will be the venue for the 2008 World Youth Swimming Championships. The University is also building a new Arena with a capacity of 15,000 or 17,000 spectators. This venue will be used for Volleyball for the Olympics.

The Regiomontana University is building a new Gymnasium with a 5,000 capacity spactator for their new campus at downtown Monterrey, really close to the Macroplaza. This venue will be used for the competitions of Badminton for the 2016 olympics if Monterrey hosts the event. This university is owned by CEMEX the 3rd largest cement company in the world, and one of the companies with huge interests in Monterrey hosting the olympics in 2016.

Finally the ITESM, which is the most important private university in latin america, is building a new Aquatic Center. This site will be open air, and will be able to suit the Swimming events as they will leave space in the project for the Monterrey 2016 organizers to be able to put removable seats for a capacity of 15,000 spectators.
where can found renderings of this new aquatic centre?
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2006, 01:54 AM   #3469
rastafario66

I don't know if there are renders of the ITESM swimming pool, but I have the renders of the University of Nuevo Leon Aquatic Center, just don't know how to put images here.
Old July 20th, 2006, 02:11 AM   #3470
El Nacionalista

I want Buenos Aires because it's just like Paris but cheaper.
El Nacionalista no está en línea  
Old July 20th, 2006, 03:03 AM   #3471
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Nacionalista
I want Buenos Aires because it's just like Paris but cheaper.
its similar in a few ways to paris..of course it is the paris of south america..but its far from being "just like paris".
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 25th, 2006, 06:19 PM   #3472
Betrayer
te extraño Valparaíso

Likes (Received): 206

Monterrey , México
Betrayer no está en línea  
Old July 25th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #3473
DrasQue
Lightbringer

Likes (Received): 2

Istanbul or New York
Old July 26th, 2006, 01:31 AM   #3474
maberk

Buenos Aires 2016!!!
I am an Argentine but i absolutely hate all my fellow argentines that claim that argentina is "faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar ahead" of the rest of latin america...
No wonder they say we are conseited!
maberk no está en línea  
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:17 PM   #3475
GEwinnen
Rekordvizemeister

Likes (Received): 2754

Spain again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by exciter
MADRID.
we will decide tomorrow if we go for the 2016 or 2020 games. Anyway, Madrid has a great project ready to go, with half of the work just made...so, i hope we will get it.
As Roge said, the geographical question about repeating city in the same continent is not so important, and after the 'strange' votation in Singapore, i think Madrid deserves it, maybe not in 2016, but sure will be soon

1992 Barcelona
2016 Spain again? No way!
GEwinnen no está en línea  
Old July 27th, 2006, 10:52 PM   #3476
Canadian Chocho

Likes (Received): 28

TORONTO

1 2 3
Canadian Chocho no está en línea  
Old July 27th, 2006, 11:02 PM   #3477
Sielbeck
Willie Sielbeck

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Chocho
TORONTO

I agree, Toronto would be a great place!
Sielbeck no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2006, 12:05 AM   #3478
S1acker

Tel Aviv, Israel
S1acker no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2006, 12:26 AM   #3479
Jamesnba
Jamesnba

Likes (Received): 108

South America for the first time...Santiago de Chile or São Paulo(brazil)
Jamesnba no está en línea  
Old July 28th, 2006, 01:47 AM   #3480
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1acker
Tel Aviv, Israel
perfect.
Mo Rush no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016