daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old July 29th, 2006, 11:52 AM   #3481
oz.fil
ojjie, ojjie, ojjie!

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush
malta
dont you think malta is abit too small for the olympics?

CEBU, PHILIPPINES!

Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2006, 12:09 PM   #3482
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz.fil
dont you think malta is abit too small for the olympics?

CEBU, PHILIPPINES!
malta vs cebu
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2006, 12:43 PM   #3483
keros
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

MADRID
keros no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2006, 05:54 PM   #3484
rastafario66

Monterrey, Mexico
rastafario66 no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #3485
Oxtail Soup
BANNED

Cumbernauld
Oxtail Soup no está en línea  
Old July 29th, 2006, 06:06 PM   #3486
Isaac Newell

Likes (Received): 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxtail Soup
something, something, something, Rangers, something, something, something, 80,000 a game, something, something, something, bigger than you, something, something,
yawn
Isaac Newell no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #3487
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

From: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...&type=business
David Armstrong, Chronicle Staff Writer
Saturday, July 29, 2006

San Francisco, which wants to host the 2016 summer Olympic Games, may want to take close notice of what Vancouver, British Columbia, did to win the 2010 Winter Olympics in the seven years it campaigned at home and abroad.

John Furlong, chief executive officer of Vancouver 2010, the nonprofit organization that put together the Canadian city's winning bid and will run the games, allowed that it was a long slog -- and that organizers had to sell their own community on hosting the games first.

From 1996, when Vancouver announced it was going for the gold, to 2003, when it won the rights from the International Olympic Committee to host the games, Furlong estimates his organizers attended 1,500 community meetings.

They dropped in on coffee klatches, bingo games and church socials to assure anxious Vancouverites worried about inconvenience from crowds and construction that the games could generate jobs, shine a flattering light on their city, and enrich British Columbia with sparkling sports facilities for long-term community use and upgrades of basic infrastructure such as roads and bridges.

Most Vancouverites now embrace the games, Furlong said, although some are concerned about environmental effects. The pristine coastal city has also begun to see economic benefits from hosting the Winter Games and the companion Paralympics, which will unfold in February and March of 2010, he said.

A construction boom has helped lift British Columbia's economy out of recession, Furlong said. Surging transpacific trade with China, which moves through the Port of Vancouver, has also helped, as has the prospering energy sector in the neighboring oil-rich province of Alberta, he said.

Major projects such as a rail line between downtown Vancouver and its international airport to handle Olympic-size crowds, and widening the twisty highway between seaside Vancouver and mountain-high Whistler, British Columbia, the resort town where many events will be held, have also inspired construction of housing, Furlong said.

Furlong spoke about the Olympics on Wednesday, the day San Francisco made it into the final three, with Los Angeles and Chicago, in its bid to be the U.S. standard-bearer for 2016. Furlong, enthusiastic but diplomatic, didn't handicap the race, but said San Francisco has a chance.

"San Francisco is on everyone's top 10 list,'' he said. "If they haven't been here, they want to see it. It has a wonderful reputation. Once you come here, you never forget. This is a splendid place.''

Furlong visited the Bay Area with a phalanx of Canadian officials to celebrate the opening of a Canadian consulate in San Francisco -- actually a reopening, as Canada had a consulate here until it was downsized to a trade office about a decade ago.

In addition to enjoying Vancouver's construction boom, Canada hopes for a windfall from tourists, especially visitors from California, said Michele McKenzie, president and CEO of the Canadian Tourism Commission, who visited San Francisco for the consulate opening.

McKenzie noted that a disproportionately high 20 percent of American visitors to Canada come from California. "This is the prime market for us,'' she said.

Canada's government and the provincial government of British Columbia are handling security for the 2010 games, which will cost about $1.6 billion to operate, according to Furlong. The construction budget is $520 million, up from an earlier estimate of $425 million.

What governments don't pay for, the organizing committee hopes to raise from corporations. Bell Canada, the nation's largest telecom operator, pledged $180 million, which Furlong says is the largest corporate sponsorship ever in either the Summer or Winter Games.

Vancouver's $1.6 billion total budget is modest compared with most recent and future Olympics. Its construction budget is less than half of that required to build sports venues in Turin, Italy, which hosted this year's Winter Games. Beijing plans to spend $1.6 billion just to run the 2008 summer games, with billions on top of that for citywide infrastructure improvements. London has budgeted $4.2 billion for city infrastructure improvements and an additional $3.6 billion to operate the 2012 summer games.

Noting that many winter sports facilities already exist in Vancouver and Whistler and that the winter games -- unlike the much-larger summer extravaganza -- don't require a 100,000-seat main stadium, Furlong said that should help keep the budget down for 2010.

Furlong said San Francisco, too, can adopt some of the marketing tactics Vancouver took for the Winter Games to land the Summer Olympics in 2016, emphasizing that San Francisco's cosmopolitan character is an important card to play.

He said the city should showcase the Bay Area's international character, emphasize the diversity of its population and underscore the range of non-Olympic attractions for visitors from around the world. That's just as important as having fine weather and high-quality sporting facilities in persuading international Olympics officials to bless your bid.

It worked for Vancouver, which, like the Bay Area, is a magnet for immigrants, said Furlong, himself an immigrant. A tall, trim, gray-haired executive, Furlong played Gaelic football and basketball in his native Tipperary, Ireland.

"The people of the world live in Vancouver -- as they do here,'' he said. "Wherever you're from, you'll have friends here. You have to emphasize that from the beginning.''
samsonyuen no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2006, 10:09 PM   #3488
mantarraya
mantarraya

dubai its the best choice , and guadalajara mexico
mantarraya no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #3489
tonytowers
Remember the Name

Dubai
tonytowers no está en línea  
Old July 30th, 2006, 11:51 PM   #3490
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

Chicago.
Kngkyle no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2006, 02:00 AM   #3491
atlaslion

Likes (Received): 2

I think dubai should be the place. They are building an state of the art sports city already.

[IMG]http://************/dr4580.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://************/dr4580.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://************/mcdt12.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://************/mcdul1.jpg[/IMG]

atlaslion no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2006, 02:07 AM   #3492
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

dubai aint gonna happen anytime soon,
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2006, 02:08 AM   #3493
Quintana
Registered Abuser

Likes (Received): 1158

Sending athletes to the middle of the desert during the summer seems like a great idea... Olympics held in temperatures of 50 degrees celcius will certainly be memorable.
Quintana no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2006, 05:53 AM   #3494
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

Dubai is the craziest place on earth. can you imagine a project like that anywhere else?
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2006, 06:15 AM   #3495
Mr. Fusion
Just A Pilot... :-)

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintana
Sending athletes to the middle of the desert during the summer seems like a great idea... Olympics held in temperatures of 50 degrees celcius will certainly be memorable.
But if there is a city who can pull off an Olympics with every event housed indoors with air conditioning... That city is Dubai.
Mr. Fusion no está en línea  
Old August 20th, 2006, 07:53 PM   #3496
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Likes (Received): 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fusion
But if there is a city who can pull off an Olympics with every event housed indoors with air conditioning... That city is Dubai.
Yeah. Like the world isnt ending fast enough already...
cphdude no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2006, 01:06 AM   #3497
Daireon
The lunatic is in my head

Likes (Received): 5558

I'd love to see the olympics in buenos aires too, but i think there are many things to be done first in this country. I'd leave it for 2020 if Argentina keeps growing.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 01:30 AM   #3498
Dominican2dacore
dominicano yo soy

Location: Elizabeth, North Jersey, New York Metropolitan Area
Likes (Received): 1

I dont see how Argentina isnt ready to host an olympic game. I mean c'mon if Mexico City could host it in the 60's then Buenos Aires can most defitnitly host it for 2016.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 03:01 AM   #3499
Jamesnba
Jamesnba

Likes (Received): 108

I'm brazilian but i'd like to Buenos Aires to host the Olympic Games of 2016...
Rio won't win, it's so dangerous,beautfull, but dangerous...
Jamesnba no está en línea  
Old September 3rd, 2006, 03:44 AM   #3500
Daireon
The lunatic is in my head

Likes (Received): 5558

Yeah, the thing is that Argentinean and Mexican histories are different. Maybe Buenos Aires is ready to host the 2016 olympics, but I'm not sure if Argentina is. I live in Argentina, and I think that before investing in such an important and amazingly expensive event, we should first solve vital problems, like infrastruture (we are under an energy crisis, threre aren't enough airports, etc.), poverty, insecurity, and so on, typical of an underdeveloped country. Once we have established some solid bases, I think we should start talking about olympic games, world cups and such.

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016