daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old September 24th, 2006, 09:30 PM   #3521
rastafario66

Likes (Received): 0

What current sports infrastructure does Buenos Aires has that could support Olympic standards?
rastafario66 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old September 24th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #3522
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 359

I think the IOC has to reign in spending. Spending billions of dollars on facilities is fine and dandy for the rich countries in the world, but is unobtainable by many countries. Not saying BA couldn't do it. Just saying the money could be spent elsewhere with better results.

I think the IOC should somehow provide the funding for the games/facilities in the future. Maybe have each participating country paying some kind of fee?

This way it would allow more marginal countries to host the games.
Calvin W no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2006, 09:55 AM   #3523
bobo_greek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin W
I think the IOC has to reign in spending. Spending billions of dollars on facilities is fine and dandy for the rich countries in the world, but is unobtainable by many countries. Not saying BA couldn't do it. Just saying the money could be spent elsewhere with better results.
the money which will be used in the olympics will not only help with facilities but also with infrastructure in the city. like athens we saw how one city trasformed to one of the best in europe.
bobo_greek no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2006, 10:59 AM   #3524
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo_greek
the money which will be used in the olympics will not only help with facilities but also with infrastructure in the city. like athens we saw how one city trasformed to one of the best in europe.
the Argentinean economy although stronger is far from being able to take on the bilions of dollars of debt the athens games have left behind.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2006, 02:17 PM   #3525
lpioe

Likes (Received): 18

would love to see this happen!

3ds Max Script to create stadium stands for given c-values

my stadium designs (all WIP / unfinished...)

1 - 2 - 3 - 4

lpioe no está en línea  
Old September 25th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #3526
samsonyuen
SSLL

Likes (Received): 314

Is there a reason why Rio is always touted as the bid city for a Brazilian bid? Why not S„o Paolo? It's richer, isn't it?
samsonyuen no está en línea  
Old October 8th, 2006, 02:39 PM   #3527
_Gaucho__
BANNED

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsonyuen View Post
Is there a reason why Rio is always touted as the bid city for a Brazilian bid? Why not São Paolo? It's richer, isn't it?
This is a major problem here . The politicians think that the natural beauty of Rio can bring the Olympics for Brazil and I agree that Rio is one of the most beautiful cities in the world but unfortunately has so much problems with their 'leaders' , including corruption in so many levels and social problems that is hard to consider Rio even being able to made the Top 5 cut. Remember that Rio was not even considered by the IOC a official Bid for the 2012 Olympics just like Havana and Leipzig that were cut from the list. I think Sao Paulo is more 'serious' city with good leaders and is a very wealthy city for Latin standards, but also has problems with gangs like PCC and infraestructure . Just to tell a case , Sao Paulo hosted the world championship of female basketball this year and on the main venue, the Ibirapuera Gymnasium there were leaks on the roof and the players were slipping during the games in a WBA event !! Not to tell the delays of the constructions of the venues for the Panamerican games of 2007 on Rio (and Panamerican games are much less important than the Olypics). For all that , I don't support Brazilians bid for Olympic Games or World Cups even being a Brazilian.
_Gaucho__ no está en línea  
Old October 8th, 2006, 02:51 PM   #3528
_Gaucho__
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastafario66 View Post
What current sports infrastructure does Buenos Aires has that could support Olympic standards?
Las august the Parque Roca's arena construction finished and is perfect for tennis matches (was built for the semi finals of Copa Davis Argentina x Australia) . But they yet have to built a roof for basket matches and this will be made next year . This venue supports about 14000 people and its spectacular .

_Gaucho__ no está en línea  
Old October 8th, 2006, 06:35 PM   #3529
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

fantastics images...www.***********.com for images of the ARG AUS davis cup clash
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old October 8th, 2006, 08:03 PM   #3530
cacapis

Being able to host the olympics wouldn't be a problem for a city like Buenos Aires at all. It would provide a huge oportunity of renovation and infrastructure. The problem would be that there would be huge olympic facilities that would be left underused and will probably be extremely expensive to maintain. Let alone if they are not in one of the most accessible parts of the city they won't be used at all.
Another probem would be yet another factor that would reinforce the monocentrism in the national territory against the underpopulated country.
cacapis no está en línea  
Old January 10th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #3531
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

2016 Summer Olympics...

With the news today that from the USOC that it will put forth an official bid by Chicago or LA I thought it would be as good a time as any to replace the old 2016 thread which was misinformed anyway (wrong cities etc.)....

Any news on 2016 bids should be inserted in this thread as well if one likes.....
nomarandlee no está en línea  
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:26 AM   #3532
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

can a mod lock this thread, I didn't do the poll properly.
Old January 10th, 2007, 04:29 AM   #3533
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

2016 Summer Olympics...

With the news today that from the USOC that it will put forth an official bid by Chicago or LA I thought it would be as good a time as any to replace the old 2016 thread which was misinformed anyway (wrong cities etc.)....

Any news on 2016 bids should be inserted in this thread as well if one likes.....

These bids seem the most firm so far.....

Chicago
Tokyo
Madrid
Rio de Janeiro
Doha
Prague
Baku

Last edited by nomarandlee; September 15th, 2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old January 10th, 2007, 06:36 AM   #3534
||-GOB-||
I've made a huge mistake.

I think it will be a South African city, voted Cape Town.
||-GOB-|| no está en línea  
Old January 10th, 2007, 07:58 AM   #3535
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

USOC to bid for 2016 Games; Chicago, L.A. hopeful

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/s...=ESPNHeadlines

DENVER -- The U.S. Olympic Committee intends to bid for the 2016 Summer Games, clearing the way for Chicago or Los Angeles to become the country's official candidate this year.

The decision Tuesday was the result of a months-long process spearheaded by the USOC to coordinate the bid process and avoid a repeat of New York's failed attempt to land the 2012 Olympics.

"Based on our analysis, we believe the time is right for a U.S. city to bid, and we fully intend to proceed with a unified, national effort to bring the Games back to America in 2016," said USOC chairman Peter Ueberroth, who brought the games to Los Angeles in 1984.

The USOC decision was the latest of several important milestones.

The next one comes Jan. 22, when the cities will submit detailed analysis of their plans -- the so-called bid books. About five weeks after that, a USOC evaluation team will conduct two-day technical evaluations in each city.

On April 14, the evaluation team will present its findings to the USOC board of directors, cities will make their final presentations and the candidate city will be chosen. The candidate city must be submitted to the International Olympic Committee on Sept. 15. The host will be chosen in 2009.

Madrid, Spain; New Delhi; Prague, Czech Republic; Rio de Janeiro, Brazil; Rome; and Tokyo are among the international cities that also have expressed interest.

The USOC has patterned its selection process after the one used by the IOC. The entire process has been part of a bigger task to improve the USOC's standing in the international community, an effort Ueberroth and other leaders believe will play largely in America's chances of landing the games.

"I believe that when our domestic process is complete, America will have a bid for the 2016 Games that is both technically excellent and visionary in what it offers the Olympic Movement," chief executive officer Jim Scherr said. "I am optimistic about our chances in this marathon."

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

............."2016 U.S. hopefuls
A glance at the two potential U.S. candidates to host the 2016 Olympics:
CHICAGO: New stadium near Washington Park for opening, closing ceremonies and track and field. Village and most events in the inner-city, using the Lake Michigan waterfront as a centerpiece.

Pros: IOC likes idea of bringing Olympics to the center of a city, as opposed to essentially constructing a new Olympic city on the outskirts, a la Athens and Sydney. Great sports tradition. Would be a first-time host, which adds intrigue.

Cons: Some wonder if Chicago has enough cachet in international circles. Still no concrete financing plan, and the majority of venues are not in place.

LOS ANGELES: Remodel the Coliseum for ceremonies and track and field. Use UCLA and USC for Olympic villages and use existing arenas and stadiums throughout the area for venues.

Pros: Good memories here. The 1984 Games redefined the Olympic movement and made it what it is today. Most of the infrastructure is in place, which means the financial and environmental impact of bringing an Olympics won't be as severe as in first-time locales.

Cons: Many concerned about bringing Games back for a third time, especially just three decades after the last trip. Legendary traffic snarls, lack of a real city center and the other common critiques of Los Angeles would weigh in.

-- The Associated Press"
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:13 AM   #3536
Zorba
Stadium Fan

I would love to see Toronto get the Olympics. Amazing city, they would without a doubt put on the best games ever.
No one is born hating another person because of the colour of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.--Nelson Mandela
Zorba no está en línea  
Old January 10th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #3537
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post

Cons: Many concerned about bringing Games back for a third time, especially just three decades after the last trip. Legendary traffic snarls, lack of a real city center and the other common critiques of Los Angeles would weigh in.

By 2016, we will have a more developed mass transit system as well as a thriving city center. Seriously, do they even take into account what the future conditions will be? You can't just judge LA's current condition and expect it to not change at all in the next 10 years.
Old January 10th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #3538
Nat76

Likes (Received): 1

Looking at it from the standpoint of recent venues up to 2016:

2012 Europe
2008 Asia
2004 Europe
2000 Australia
1996 North America
1992 Europe
1988 Asia

I'd favor North America or a new locale like S. America, Africa, or Turkey.

Historically, a country doesn't win unless they've at least made the final round in the last couple of bid years or hosted previously. That leaves Toronto, Chicago, Cape Town, Buenos Aires, Istanbul, and LA.

Generally, if a country has never hosted, they need a top 3 from the previous 2 bids to win. Istanbul and Buenos Aires don't have that, so we have:

Toronto
Chicago
LA
Cape Town

If Chicago is even close to LA, I think the USOC will take Chicago on the basis that LA has already hosted twice. LA is also probably the best city in the world to host on short notice if a future host can't prepare quickly enough, so theres a good chance they get a short notice bid as the IOC expands into developing countries in the next 20 years. Take out LA.

S. Africa is getting the World Cup, and while I think they'll pull of their preparations, I think any shortcomings there will hurt their chances. And Germany is a tough World Cup act to follow. Take out Cape Town.

Chicago and Toronto look like the two front runners to me, if Chicago can beat LA. I took Chicago based upon Canada's recent successful Vancouver bid. Calgary 88, Vancouver 10, and Montreal 76 and Toronto 16 in 40 years seems like a lot for a country of about 30-35 million.

I'll admit I live in Chicago and you've got to love the logo here:

http://www.chicago2016.org/

The lake, the greenway along the lake, and the Hancock/skyline all integrated into the Olympic torch? Beautiful.
Nat76 no está en línea  
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:00 PM   #3539
cphdude
Timelord victorious

Likes (Received): 15

Chicago
cphdude no está en línea  
Old January 10th, 2007, 01:39 PM   #3540
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

No more US cities. How many games have they staged now? It seems just about every 10 years they hold a winter or summer games. Enough!

Give it to somewhere in Central or South America.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016