daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 11th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #3561
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

LA does have more venues already in place but Chicago already has many more venues then most cities who will think about bidding. If LA will not have held it 32 years before I would say LA's appeal would be near as appealing or surpass Chicago's. But as great as LA is it is not London or Paris and I don't see the IOC going back to the well for prior cities instead of new blood especially after only 32 years and considering the U.S. has many marquee cities suiteable for hosting.

I do have concerns about Chicagos Olympic stadium plan but they are essentially doing similar to what London is planning and massively downsizing it to become a more realistic and used long term athletics center.
nomarandlee no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #3562
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Likes (Received): 489

Everyone dream on with your high hopes..... Los Angeles hands down is mastering this puppy in 2016. I guess like they say for those other cities, dream on since it's free. L.A. is a shoe in, again!!!!!
Old January 11th, 2007, 07:45 AM   #3563
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
Just a note, existing venues dont win olympic bids. Chicago if it is able to produce a firm stadium plan/deal has the O-factor to win an Olympic bid. Not that LA lacks the ability to win. The 1984 games were great...so now lets go there again? With so many great cities to choose from why return to LA?
What is the O factor Mo? Oprah?

Chicago could also provide MJ as the torch lighter for the games, not a bad plus.
Old January 11th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #3564
Cariad

Likes (Received): 316

I voted for Rio, I think that would be a great city for the olympics, I would like to see South Africa get it, but I am being cautious with WC 2010 coming up and wondering how that would go. I hope Auckland but in a bid too as I think New Zealand could host a great games.
Cariad no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #3565
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Just a note, existing venues dont win olympic bids.

...but non-existing ones will absolutely lose 'em. Look at NYC's failed bids.

Quote:
With so many great cities to choose from why return to LA?
Ummm, better ask London that question first. The already got their *third* Olympiad selected.
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:08 AM   #3566
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat76 View Post

The only new venue is a scalable temporary olympic stadium located in the Hyde Park neighborhood. The stadium would have 10,000 seats recessed in a bowl w/ an additional 80,000 above street grade. After the Games, the 80,000 would be removed.

I think that's a big waste. An Olympic stadium is supposed to be a living legacy of the games, not some temporary facility. Why couldn't they make it a new home for Da Bearssss? Why couldn't Soldier Field be the Olympic Stadium?
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #3567
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
I think that's a big waste. An Olympic stadium is supposed to be a living legacy of the games, not some temporary facility. Why couldn't they make it a new home for Da Bearssss? Why couldn't Soldier Field be the Olympic Stadium?

no room for track and field.

Also, the LA Bid has been altered a bit, with the Venues being more centralized. If the bid committee really wanted, they could host all the events in Los Angeles City. As the bid currently stands, almost every venue is linked by rail or will be by 2016. There are 3 major nodes where the games will be held, and a 2 mile stretch of Figueroa Blvd. downtown has the Colosseum, the Galen Center, the Nokia Theater, the Staples Center and Dodger Stadium.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #3568
PerthCity

Likes (Received): 104

I vote for Rio. It would be nice to have a South American city host for the first time.

I too am tired of a North American city hosting every few years.
PerthCity no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #3569
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Well the way the majority of Olymic stadiums have been used they have been white elephants who may as well have been temporary. Maybe better to scale them down after for them to get more use and be more practical.

The Bears have a new stadium less then five years old. Soldier Field can't be expanded to 80-100k without major renovations and rehall that would probably cost more then it would to build the temporary.
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:19 AM   #3570
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachRes44 View Post
I vote for Rio. It would be nice to have a South American city host for the first time.

I too am tired of a North American city hosting every few years.
Rio is my top choice if Chicago doesn't fly for whatever reason. I can certainly understand its appeal and think it would make a great host. There may be some infrastructure and gang issues but if they don't worry the IOC then I certainly would throw my lot behind them.
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:28 AM   #3571
Ari Gold
Mr Superstar

Likes (Received): 126

Do people expect Rio to host the WOrld cup in 14 and the Olympics two years later?? Surely not.

Its only a matter of time before Rio gets the games, just not sure 2016 is it. Maybe the 20 games?
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #3572
||-GOB-||
I've made a huge mistake.

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
...but non-existing ones will absolutely lose 'em. Look at NYC's failed bids.

Ummm, better ask London that question first. The already got their *third* Olympiad selected.
However this is the first time that London has actually 'won' the Olympic hosting rights.

1908 was originally intended for Rome with London coming in as the backup at the last minute. Similarly 1948 games defaulted to London because it was the only European city that was capable of hosting the games after the war.
||-GOB-|| no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #3573
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juddy View Post
Do people expect Rio to host the WOrld cup in 14 and the Olympics two years later?? Surely not.

Its only a matter of time before Rio gets the games, just not sure 2016 is it. Maybe the 20 games?
I don't see that as being a big factor. It will hold the the WC with 8-10 other cities.

A more important indicator will be how well the facilities and the games go for Rio's Pan American games.
Old January 11th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #3574
hazeem

doha
hazeem no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 11:12 AM   #3575
Chilenofuturista
Zug->für 'ne bessere welt

Likes (Received): 274

I would like it to take place in South America (Buenos Aires or Rio De Janeiro) but I don't see their chances as big, so therefore my vote goes to Madrid who should have won the bid for the 2012 Summer Olympic Games.
It's very modern, it has the second largest Metro network in Western Europe and it's been one of the fastest growing networks in the world. Its Metro is state-of-the-art, very clean, safe and efficient. The city has also a very good commuter train service and one of the world's biggest and most modern airports, Barajas. Madrid is also famous for its long-lived sporting traditions and it also has a very good sports infrastructure with Santiago Bernabeu being the most famous one. The city is also quite big (over 5 million inhabitants in its Metropolitan Area) and very vibrant, it's called in Europe the city that never sleeps due to a very intense and rich night life. It's also a city for the family with many museums, leisure places and sites and buildings of historical interest. Madrid displays also a very good architecture and right now it's not only living a Metro, train and tram boom (since many years ago) but also a high-rise boom with Cuatro Torres Business Area being the most famous one.

In conclusion:

Madrid has an excellent climate, excellent location in the middle of the Iberian Peninsula and in the crossway between the Northern Europe, The Atlantic Area and The Mediterranean Area. Madrid also has high vigilance, a deep-rooted tradition in culture and sports, extremely good public transport and a vast network of motorways. Add on top of that great sports infrastructure and a modern city with exquisite architecture.
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #3576
qwazy
BANNED

I would say the dubai or qatar are bound to get the olympics sooner or later, 2020 if not 2016. As for the isreali competitors, they would have to allow those people, cuz surely you can't make a serious bid for the olympics and not take that factor into consideration.

Apart from that, by 2016, and surely by 2020, Dubai will become one of the greatest cities in the world, and will also have one of the best infrastructures and transportation networks, and anything else that might be a requirement, so I wouldn't rule out Dubai, as long as it's leaders are serious about being a host (which I'm not too sure of though)

Qatar will also be a nice little country by 2016 and 2020, and it will have excellent infrastructure too.

As for sporting history, these two don't have too many accomplishments, but they are beginning to host quite a lot of sporting events, horse racing, motor sports, tennis, golf, doha asian games 2006/asian olympics

Plus, I would like to see the olympics in the middle east, it will be a nice change.

My concern is the hot summer weather! How could they tackle that? Air conditioning at the sporting venues and stadiums perhaps? Perhaps there could be some other way of keeping the venues cool.
qwazy no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:35 PM   #3577
QatPhils
DOH - AUH - Baguio :D

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazeem View Post
doha
well it seems that u didn't vote it
QatPhils no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #3578
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 362

Everythings already in place. It will be LA.
klamedia no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #3579
QatPhils
DOH - AUH - Baguio :D

Likes (Received): 11

unlikely
QatPhils no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 02:48 PM   #3580
future_trance011

Likes (Received): 33

Very likely...

LA has all the venues needed already in place..not to mention the history of hosting two fantastic Olympics..also fantastic weather, a cosmopolitan population of 18 million ppl, mountains, beaches, the Pacific Ocean, the fame of Hollywood, world-renowned theme parks and resorts, a growing rail mass-transit network, many athletes already train in LA from all over the world...its highly likely the 2016 games will be either in North America or South America and LA has a tremendous advantage over the other North American contenders. The 2008 games goes to Beijing (Asia) and 2012 games to England (Europe) and the 2016 games to North America and most likely LA
future_trance011 no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016