daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 11th, 2007, 04:16 PM   #3601
future_trance011

Likes (Received): 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
The best place would be a city like San Francisco due to mild climate, however that city is probably too small to host it, same with seattle.

Boston could do a good olympics too.

None of those cities are bidding or have dropped out already...
future_trance011 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #3602
future_trance011

Chicago should get it, because it's the most underappreciated city in America and deserves a chance to gain more international exposure.

Many cities are under-appreciated in the world...Last I checked the Olympics isn't a self-pity contest is it? I'm sorry, but being under-appreciated doesn't make Chicago the best-case-scenario for the Summer Olympics, especially with the high relative humidity and heat that athletes and international visitors must deal with.

It's a world-class city and has much more passion for sports than L.A who has had the games already- give someone else a chance.[/QUOTE]

LA is also a world-class city with fantastic weather and geography to boot. It has multiple venues that are state-of-the-art and already in place...LA doesn't need to build anything from scratch like Chicago does..Chicago would have to build a new stadium and Olympic Village which would cost over a billion dollars...all LA needs to do is a little retrofitting of the Coliseum. It also helps that there's so many things for international visitors to see and do in LA. From theme-parks galore to LA's beaches, deserts, mountain resorts. Come for the Olympics and stay to play in LA. LA does have passion for sports my friend..why do you think so many people live here? To enjoy the weather and sports. Also the LA Lakers are synonymous with chamionships. USC and UCLA have dominated much of college sports over the years (Two of the most winningest college programs ever along with Stanford). People in LA love the outdoors and the climate for a reason. You get to stay active and play sports...sitting on the couch watching a game doesn't compare to actually having an environment suitable for sports. The Olympics is about sports and competition. So many athletes train in LA for a reason...the huge competitive talent base that is already in place in Southern California certainly helps... i.e. everything from world-class swimmers to soccer players, volleyball players, bicyclists, surfers, marathoners, long jumpers, pole-vaulters, etc. train in LA. There's so many athletes in the LA region, which kind of reminds me of all the althletes down under in Sydney, Australia.
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:18 PM   #3603
DG
Emirian Lady

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Dubai could do it if it placed most venus in air conditioned domes
Dubai can host it in spring or autumn as Sydney did in autumn 2000, so there is no problem regarding the conditions..

I think 2016 should be in South America or Africa, Dubai could do it in 2020
DG no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #3604
kiretoce
I got my eye on you.

Likes (Received): 449

Voted for Bangkok. It's high time that SEA gets to represent!
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #3605
jimjones
jimjones

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
Just a note, existing venues dont win olympic bids. Chicago if it is able to produce a firm stadium plan/deal has the O-factor to win an Olympic bid. Not that LA lacks the ability to win. The 1984 games were great...so now lets go there again? With so many great cities to choose from why return to LA?
Well you are right MO about LA 1984 being a great games . The fact is no one but LA wanted to bid on the games and it was very much the turn around point in the movement. I am not saying have LA host in 2016 because there probably would not be any olympics if it was for the 1984 La committee. If los angeles does not win this time I am sure they will be hosting in the no to distant future anyways. The laws of economic gravity for the IOC flow eventually to LA and NYC in the boardrooms of the major american tv networks. Madison avenue plays into the US networks and thus into the IOCs desire for American capital.

jim jones

Chicago I personally think would be a great city for the olympics but the stadium
is the big issue and I really wonder why the redevelopment of soldier field didnt have provisions for rollaway seating to have a track and field surface.
The other facilities I dont know about in regards to an aquatics centre.
Chicago certainly has buildings around the soldier field area that I beleive could be converted with greco roman facades.

The modern high tech architecture of the bejing and london bids are nice but
something has to be said for using classical architecture for the shear power of that expression. The Berlin Olympic stadium speaks projection of power in the classic greco-roman columns.

The los angeles memorial coliseum certainly has a classic architectural look to it . with the renderings i have seen on proposed roofing and redevelopment I think you would have a good mix between modern and classic.

Rio My other favorite is going to be good conservative functional architecture.
The mix of architecture in rio is fantastic. Art deco, Art Noveau, Portugese Colonial, Modern. A real mixed bag but somehow complimenting each other very nicely. For Rio Corcovado and Christ the Redeemer would be an incredible imagine to have in the foreground of an aerial shot of the main stadium or just as a fly pass for TV. SugarLoaf and the Harbour would be incredible as well.
Like Cape Town with Table Mountain the hills surrounding Rio will be a fantastic backdrop. Chicago does not have that type of topography of course but the skyline and lake Michigan certainly provide good possible shots for blimp cams. To me it is not what you build in regards to interesting and powerful looking venues it is also the setting they are in. Beijing incredible as they look really are expressing a modernism and futuristic thing that is like a coming out party for china arriving as a modern world power. Some ancient china influences would be great but I certain can see what they want to express.

It is going to be very interesting to see who becomes the USOC canidate because both have draw backs and advantages.

jim jones
jimjones no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:46 PM   #3606
future_trance011

[QUOTE=DG;11256072]Dubai can host it in spring or autumn as Sydney did in autumn 2000, so there is no problem regarding the conditions..

Sydney was a special case because they are located in the Southern Hemisphere. Their Summer is our Winter in the Nothern Hemisphere.

[I][B]I think 2016 should be in South America or Africa, Dubai could do it in 2020

Most of the cities in South America don't have the infrastructure or the venues needed to host the Olympics yet.

Dubai ? Maybe in 2032....Dubai can talk about being tourist-friendly all it wants, but right now the fact is the Middle East is still a very volatile situation. With Iran near by and its nuclear bomb situation...Israel and Palestine always fighting situation and the messy Iraq situation..its a very tough sell. Maybe one day when the rest of the Middle East realizes it can be at peace and more tourist-friendly like Dubai? Than people will start to think of Dubai and the Middle East as a place to host the Olympics. But right now you can build the biggest skyscrapers all you want in the world...but being able to attract a large number of visitors to an Olympic games in a volatile region is another matter.
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #3607
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by future_trance011 View Post
What city in Africa has the infrastructure to host a huge event like the Olympics? Not only do you need the infrastructure, hotel rooms, convention space, Olympic stadiums and venues in place.
The IOC certainly does not require all the venues to be in place...uhm london, paris...uhm beijing

african countries capable

1. cape town
2. johannesburg

to a latter degree durban, cairo.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 05:49 PM   #3608
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by future_trance011 View Post
Madrid is in Europe..why would the IOC want the Olympics in Europe again in 2016? London in 2012 remember?
dont bother..its not worth the energy
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #3609
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Rush View Post
The IOC certainly does not require all the venues to be in place...uhm london, paris...uhm beijing

african countries capable

1. cape town
2. johannesburg

to a latter degree durban, cairo.
Mogadishu, Mozambique!!! (Run puta Run!!!) serious now, what about a city in Marokko, Casablanca? or is this all Africa can present at this moment. Dakar?
I don't know but there must be some more african countries with possebilleties!
Old January 11th, 2007, 06:41 PM   #3610
IMPÉRIO-BR
BANNED

Likes (Received): 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
A more important indicator will be how well the facilities and the games go for Rio's Pan American games.

IMPÉRIO-BR no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 07:02 PM   #3611
Belgrade city
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Rio de Janeiro
Belgrade city no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #3612
AltinD
The Modecator

Likes (Received): 6071

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^Anton^ View Post
Can't believe some people actually voted for Qatar and Dubai... Qatar and the UAE (among many other Arab countries) ban people who have been to Israel from entering the country... So unless you want to make it the Arab League Olympics, thousands of international athletes have competed in Israel (actually Israel takes part in European sport championships).
Besides, the games should be awarded to a city/country that has some tradition in the world of sports...
If Doha and Dubai want to bid for the Olympic they know very well that they have to let the Israeli team come. If USA let the Iranians, Cubans and North Koreans in NYC for the UN, why those two cities will not let Israelis compete for the Olympics?

In 2003 Dubai hosted the annual Meeting of IMF and World Bank. An Israeli delegation was present and do not forget (not that you knew it in the first place) that Israel has a Trade Office operating in Doha.

However I do think that what goes most in their dissfavor, is the climate.
AltinD no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #3613
iaro
Castilla amanti

Likes (Received): 143

madrid of course, becase it is a latinoamerican capital of the world and it is an european capital,
iaro no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 08:57 PM   #3614
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Likes (Received): 489

That doesn't make sense at all..... you must be from Europe!
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:19 PM   #3615
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaro View Post
madrid of course, becase it is a latinoamerican capital of the world and it is an european capital,
Every Latin American in the world would kill you for saying that.
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #3616
Kngkyle

Likes (Received): 21

If the USOC selects LA for the US Olympic bid, there is about a .05% chance of the IOC selecting LA when there are so many other choices that would offer a new experience. Chicago at least has a shot at it.
Kngkyle no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #3617
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMPÉRIO-BR View Post

this is unnecessary...provide a link to images regarding pan am but don't just flood a thread with images to make a point please...i am a rio supporter but this is not the way to do it.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 10:46 PM   #3618
Mo Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaP187 View Post
Mogadishu, Mozambique!!! (Run puta Run!!!) serious now, what about a city in Marokko, Casablanca? or is this all Africa can present at this moment. Dakar?
I don't know but there must be some more african countries with possebilleties!
Well besides being hopeful one has to refer to the IOC requirements..of course any african city is free to bid...but in terms of 2016/2020..these are the top of the pile..cape town is the only african city to shortlist, but then again only cairo, alexandria and cape town have bid for the games...joburg would shortlist..and durban might straddle the benchmark. please this is just my opinion..feel free to disagree.
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #3619
iaro
Castilla amanti

Sorry my english is so poor, of course madrid cause is one of the latinoamerican capitals of the world also of europe and it was the best in the last selection
iaro no está en línea  
Old January 11th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #3620
iaro
Castilla amanti

Sorry my english is so poor, of course madrid cause is one of the latinoamerican capitals of the world also of europe and it was the best in the last candidature
iaro no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016