daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old May 21st, 2007, 01:54 AM   #3761
Calvin W
Canadian eh!

Likes (Received): 359

I on the other hand am quite impressed with the facilities in Rio. Especially the open air pool complex.
Calvin W no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:57 AM   #3762
calenzano

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyAboutCities View Post
I am not impressed with this design.
Poor design!!!!
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:52 AM   #3763
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5790

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Gaucho__ View Post
This is a major problem here . The politicians think that the natural beauty of Rio can bring the Olympics for Brazil and I agree that Rio is one of the most beautiful cities in the world but unfortunately has so much problems with their 'leaders' , including corruption in so many levels and social problems that is hard to consider Rio even being able to made the Top 5 cut. Remember that Rio was not even considered by the IOC a official Bid for the 2012 Olympics just like Havana and Leipzig that were cut from the list. I think Sao Paulo is more 'serious' city with good leaders and is a very wealthy city for Latin standards, but also has problems with gangs like PCC and infraestructure . Just to tell a case , Sao Paulo hosted the world championship of female basketball this year and on the main venue, the Ibirapuera Gymnasium there were leaks on the roof and the players were slipping during the games in a WBA event !! Not to tell the delays of the constructions of the venues for the Panamerican games of 2007 on Rio (and Panamerican games are much less important than the Olypics). For all that , I don't support Brazilians bid for Olympic Games or World Cups even being a Brazilian.

I cant agree with u. Panam constructions have a lot of delays because is a strcuture as big as an olympic one, because with them, Rio will have half made structures for an olympic bid
TEBC no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:11 AM   #3764
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

What uninspired architecture. None of the new sporting structures are exciting, interesting, or classic. They're all just quite... bland.

Rio can do a lot better than this, I know they can.
Old May 21st, 2007, 07:28 AM   #3765
Occit
生命是要离开自己的安乐窝

Likes (Received): 2857

My vote:

1) Buenos Aires
2) Rio
...is time to watch the Olympics Games in South America.
Old May 21st, 2007, 12:41 PM   #3766
BobDaBuilder

Likes (Received): 1

Doubt this will help much but BA was going to host the 1956 Olympics, but Melbourne pipped them at the post.

BA should have kept trying and they would have hosted it by now. Maybe they would have been economically successful as Oz too if they did.

Now they have Susan Boyle.
BobDaBuilder no está en línea  
Old May 21st, 2007, 04:13 PM   #3767
Jim Jones WINS!!!!!!
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
I let you this article of the influent Washington Post about the Argentina's economy nowdays :

Argentina Emerging
Has Kirchner's Protectionist Approach Been Key to 'Miracle' Recovery?

By Marcela Sanchez
Friday, April 28, 2006; 12:00 AM

WASHINGTON -- Five years ago, Argentina's economy crashed, plunging the country into depths of poverty and unemployment comparable to those of the Great Depression in the United States. While it took more than a decade and a world war for the United States to recover, Argentina is already on the rebound and is expected to be the strongest economic performer in Latin America this year.

Last week, the International Monetary Fund and the U.N. Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean upgraded their economic forecasts to predict 2006 growth rates for Argentina of 7.3 percent and 7.5 percent respectively, the highest in the region -- scarcely four years after the country's gross domestic product was negative 10.9 percent. Argentina's collapse led to the largest loan default in world history, yet early this year the South American country paid its total IMF obligations of $9.6 billion.

Argentina's recovery is no miracle, not even a model worth following, Argentine officials claim. If anything, they say, it is an Argentine solution to an Argentine problem.

"We had our own recipe,'' President Nestor Kirchner said last week, verbally thumbing his nose at outsiders, such as the IMF, whose prescriptions he has rejected. "If we had followed ... the Fund and all the rest,'' he added, "we know how we Argentines would have faired.''

Countering what Jose Octavio Bordon, Argentina's ambassador to the United States, called the "indiscriminate liberalization" of the past, Kirchner has adopted protectionist measures such as quotas and tariffs on imports to revitalize local industries. Even products from Brazil, Argentina's neighbor and Mercosur trade-bloc partner, are taxed. While conventional wisdom suggests protectionism makes local industries lazy and uncompetitive, Argentina now exports more than ever before.

Kirchner's government has also taken steps to reestablish state ownership of companies privatized during the 1990s, such as a French water company and an Argentine passenger rail line. Critics call these efforts a case of collective amnesia, as Argentina seems to have forgotten that many state-run utilities were failures. Yet the government appears to be a better manager this time around, turning a profit with the postal service that it nationalized in 2003.

Protectionism and nationalization combined with price controls and the freeze on utility rates, plus a recent history of loan defaults, would seem to make Argentina unattractive to both domestic and international investors. But investment has more than doubled since the crisis to 24 percent of GDP, and rose from $29 billion in 2004 to $41 billion in 2005.

Last month, Argentina offered its first bond issue to international investors since 2001 and Standard & Poor's raised its credit rating for the second time in a year.

In the process of renegotiating its debt with private creditors -- a milestone that reduced interest payments from 8 percent of GDP to 2 percent -- Argentina may have created a "revolutionary instrument,'' as the Financial Times called it, that links loan payments to the country's economic performance.

After establishing a base rate of return, Argentina promises to make higher payments as the country's growth rate improves and pay less if it declines. This GDP warrant offers at least two significant advantages, according to Walter Molano, an emerging-markets analyst for BCP Securities.

First, it gives bondholders a reason to want "to make sure that Argentina grows as much as possible.'' Second, it reduces the role played by multilateral creditors such as the IMF and the World Bank, which also left many bondholders disenchanted.

For now, both Argentine officials and economists in Washington agree there is a long way to go before declaring victory. Inflation is a big threat to recovery and Argentina's poverty rate still stands at 34 percent, although down from 57 percent just four years ago. In terms of wealth distribution, which many analysts see as Kirchner's main goal, his measures are failing. According to the National Statistics and Census Institute, the richest segment of the population is expanding its income at a much faster clip than the poorest segment.

Not long ago, Argentina was Washington's poster child for the need to implement market reforms. Now, it seems, rejecting some of those policies outright has become key to Argentina's recovery. Skeptics here and throughout the hemisphere may one day be proven correct. But whatever new advice Washington's thinkers may offer will certainly be taken with a grain of salt in Argentina. For the time being, at least, Argentina's protectionist approach -- and its rebellion against the IMF -- seems to be making progress where other models did not.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042701375.html
Personally I think Argentina would first have to show 10 years of stability for economics before they could think about winning a bid and that would be 2011 when a bid could be mounted and that rules out a bid for 2016.

The colapse of 2001 goes beyond an IMF and to private sector multinational companies that have longer memories and shorter tolerances for being burnt bigtime in 2001. One that comes to mind is from my own country Scotiabank or the Bank of Nova Scotia. BNS took a heavy hit with Argentina and will not be back for a while. 7 percent GDP growth is not hard to achieve if you had negative 10 percent to dig yourself out of .
BNS is in Peru, Chile and Venezuela with some minority interest in a Brazillian Bank.
BNS is in most of the Americas but will stand back from Argentina as will many
multinationals who lost all their investments in Argentina in 2001.

If you don't think BNS is big well ask the Virgin Group who they do their banking with. In my travels I met a man who was president of Sony Records South America and is Argentinian . The man was nearing retirement age and was wiped out of a huge fortune in 2001. With stories like that around the broad rooms of major international multinationals of their office staff getting wiped out in 2001 the trust factor will take to 2011 for those companies to look at renewing commitments for a olympics held in argentina. I talk of companies like Kodak, Coca Cola , NBC TV which make up a huge part of revenues for the IOC.

Brazil is the stable choice for 2016 out of south america. The infrastructure being created in Rio with the Pan am games and Brazil looks to be gearing up to host the world cup in 2014. Brazil has not also challenged a major world armed forces in recent times over a piece of land. Argentina has which points to how a country could in 1978 host the world cup and then invade the falklands 4 years latter. Argentina has to show the same positive behavoir with their economy for a decade and things are looking good so far.
Jim Jones WINS!!!!!! no está en línea  
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:35 AM   #3768
TEBC

Likes (Received): 5790

Quote:
Originally Posted by calenzano View Post
Poor design!!!!
You canīt compare with what China is doing.. and donīt forget that this is a Regional competition... Athens Olympic Complex was quite diferent before the games
TEBC no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #3769
GNU
Gnuru

Likes (Received): 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolbol View Post
man, the London Logo really sucks,
dont worry they redesigned it:

GNU no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:58 AM   #3770
PELFORYO

Likes (Received): 0

when something is good and nice ... why won't we use it again ?
PAAAAAAAAARIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS !!!!!!
I love paris !!!!! whith all the striiiiiikes !!
and the polutiiiiiiiooooon !
the lazyyyy ooooones !!
the TIIIIIGIIIIVIIIIIII !!
droooopiiiings of doooogs !
the sweeeeeeaaaarwoooords !!
and his new presiiiideeeeent !!

(sorry for the ... delirious)
PELFORYO no está en línea  
Old June 5th, 2007, 01:14 AM   #3771
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PELFORYO View Post
when something is good and nice ... why won't we use it again ?
PAAAAAAAAARIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS !!!!!!
I love paris !!!!! whith all the striiiiiikes !!
and the polutiiiiiiiooooon !
the lazyyyy ooooones !!
the TIIIIIGIIIIVIIIIIII !!
droooopiiiings of doooogs !
the sweeeeeeaaaarwoooords !!
and his new presiiiideeeeent !!

(sorry for the ... delirious)
Bid logos are only meant to be temporary.
Old June 5th, 2007, 01:16 AM   #3772
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Likes (Received): 9

The London Logo, especially the pinkish one, looks so '80s new wave

It'll take time to get used to it, but I must commend them for being bold and not having the same old cliche human figure/torch logo design over the city name and Olympics rings.
Old June 5th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #3773
Capzilla
robkaper.nl

Indeed, that will take time to get used to.. I hope five years is enough!
Old June 5th, 2007, 02:37 PM   #3774
Nixoderm
Expert

Likes (Received): 3

New york one is sexy, the new london one is FUGLY!!!
Old June 23rd, 2007, 06:16 AM   #3775
mexatino
De Norte a Sur

Likes (Received): 64

I`d love to see the games here but I think we are not ready yet. First, as some others said before we must show stability in the economy. Also the infrastructure need to be improve. The place where the olympic village was supposed to be develop itīs now sold and we need to get a new stadium ( a big one). Transportation si a big issue as well.
Anyways I really think Buenos Aires deserves the games but it won`t happen until 2020 (al least). But eventually it will happen.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:03 PM   #3776
b13

I would love for BA to beat out Chicgo for Olympics 2016 because then it would give Toronto a chance to win Olympics 2020!
b13 no está en línea  
Old June 29th, 2007, 08:52 AM   #3777
krudmonk
sucks

Likes (Received): 96

Quote:
This is a major problem here . The politicians think that the natural beauty of Rio can bring the Olympics for Brazil and I agree that Rio is one of the most beautiful cities in the world but unfortunately has so much problems with their 'leaders' , including corruption in so many levels and social problems that is hard to consider Rio even being able to made the Top 5 cut. Remember that Rio was not even considered by the IOC a official Bid for the 2012 Olympics just like Havana and Leipzig that were cut from the list. I think Sao Paulo is more 'serious' city with good leaders and is a very wealthy city for Latin standards, but also has problems with gangs like PCC and infraestructure . Just to tell a case , Sao Paulo hosted the world championship of female basketball this year and on the main venue, the Ibirapuera Gymnasium there were leaks on the roof and the players were slipping during the games in a WBA event !! Not to tell the delays of the constructions of the venues for the Panamerican games of 2007 on Rio (and Panamerican games are much less important than the Olypics). For all that , I don't support Brazilians bid for Olympic Games or World Cups even being a Brazilian.
It's too bad Rio is the most famous Brazilian destination and one of the most dangerous. Southern cities like Curitiba and Porto Alegre would be great for such events as they're highly developed but they just don't have the fame in the name. Florianopolis is also very beautiful (compared to Rio) but not not big enough and also relatively unknown. With Atlanta in '96, though, anything is possible.
krudmonk no está en línea  
Old July 10th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #3778
japanese001

Likes (Received): 707

2016 Olympic attraction logographs of Tokyo completed.
http://www.sankei.co.jp/sports/sport...t070710000.htm

Last edited by japanese001; July 10th, 2007 at 05:39 PM.
japanese001 no está en línea  
Old July 10th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #3779
dunwyn

If the Argentina's Government and people want the Olympics than you stand a good chance to host it. you have most of the infrastructure already. Especially the transport links. Imagine if it was between Buenos Aires and Rio de Janeiro! South America it's your time!
Old July 14th, 2007, 05:14 AM   #3780
lfbrumalta

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
It's too bad Rio is the most famous Brazilian destination and one of the most dangerous. Southern cities like Curitiba and Porto Alegre would be great for such events as they're highly developed but they just don't have the fame in the name. Florianopolis is also very beautiful (compared to Rio) but not not big enough and also relatively unknown. With Atlanta in '96, though, anything is possible.
Rio is an international city.

This means that not only it is known abroad but also it has institutions, sport venues, monuments and museums internationally acclaimed.

It is violent as New York, for example, used to be. It is the only city in the south hemisphere to hold a doping-control lab certified by IOC.

So it is not only a question of beauty, but a question of infrastructure.

We have 5 commuter train lines and 2 metro lines which are used by 1 million people per day. More than the entire system transport of Curitiba

Sorry but the cities you cited are not even among the 5 biggest cities in Brazil. They are regional cities with goog quality of life, but this doesnīt mean nothing. Maybe, down the line, some of them can host pan american games, but even now this is impossible for them.

Last edited by lfbrumalta; July 14th, 2007 at 05:22 AM.
lfbrumalta no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016