daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 25th, 2005, 05:50 PM   #381
kony

Likes (Received): 1241

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricemazda
I am currently having an argument with stupid aussies who think somehow that Australia will overtake the UK in population and that the UK is full of racists who don't let in foreigners, whereas Australia is far more multi-cultural than London.
interesting...
kony no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2005, 05:58 PM   #382
Tosco
Nid de Poule

Likes (Received): 0

I vote for Madrid.
Tosco no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #383
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

A FEW CONTROVERSIAL STATEMENTS SOME OF WHICH COULD BE TRUE WHICH DO YOU BELIEVE IN simply theories and statements ive heard CHOOSE WHICH ARE TRUE BY SIMPLY choosing the number

1. There are four european cities bidding, it is highly unlikely that the games will go to new york
2. Not safe enough in New York and Moscow for obvious reasons 9/11 etc and we could not predict or assure anyone of no large scale attacks
3. Paris will win...as those who miss out like athens for 1996 and beijing for 2000 always go on to win...
4. Madrid will definitely not win as barcelona hosted 1992,a solid bid but not enough to convince over 50 IOC members tha the games should go back to spain...
5. Moscow will be kicked out in the first round with very few votes
6. It is clear that the australians support London and if New York does not make the final two then majority of the north american votes will go to London due to the BLair and Bush having a good relationship
7. It comes down to politics and the actual bid counts very little
8. Who will europe support when it comes down to london and paris?????
9. The winner could be decided by the african vote and the few who voted for moscow in round one...
10. Paris will win in round two/three with majority vote
11. London could pull in many votes in the last few weeks before the final vote
12. IOC members have already decided who they will vote for..
13. Even in summer London is too cold and the games will be more like a winter games, making condition miserable
14. Madrid has the best technical bid
15. In future bidding should be stopped and cities such as Cape Town, Buenos Aires and Rio could be asked to host the games by the IOC if they meet the requirements.
16. London will not bid if they lose outon 2012
17. Paris are becoming too complacent with their bid
18. London could win if they threaten to expose all IOC members involved with bribery
19. Jacques Rogge wants the games in Paris
20. Some intelligent sources or experts already know who will win the 2012 bid....
21. The winner in this race will go on to stage a less advanced games than beijing e.g. the stade de france is not exactly a futuristic 2012 stadium

FACTS : a poll taken in cape town using university showed that people favoured MADRID (to my suprise as the host) stating that London was simply to full and polluted, New York not safe enough as well as having congestion problems, Paris would host a boring games and are simply too arrogant, and Moscow after the recent events as well as the circumstances of the 1980 games do not stand a chance..
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:19 PM   #384
legolas
I'm back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun57
obviously Paris if the only city able to host the games

1. Paris
2. London (brits are willing to corrupt voters)

the others cities can't win.
NY after Atlanta 96 : it would be a shame (fed up with america)
Madrid after Barcelona 92 : impossible (too expensive for such a poor country)
Moscow : an other undevelopped country to host the games after Beijing, it's a joke !

Don't be stupid.... Paris capital of the world forever
French people always telling stupid things!!
Listen guy, Paris & London have two Olimpic Games each one, and Madrid it's the only one biggest cities in Europe that doesn't have! And in your videos, you think (both cities) that you are the best cities in the world!! Nothing more far from the reality!!!!
I like very much london, but I think it will not win. And you, you have posibilities, I know, but Madrid also has it.
And you should know one thing. Spain has increased his economy much more than France, which is going down too fast. In a few years, first city in Europe, London, and second, Madrid, of course. Paris is finished!!
legolas no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:34 PM   #385
coth
pride leader

Likes (Received): 6818

^ St. Petersburg are much bigger then Madrid, but never had olympics too...

and i suggest you to rephrase your first sentence...
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:35 PM   #386
Matthieu
Administrateur

Likes (Received): 5612

French people always say stupid things? That's the stupidest thing I seen on this forum.

BTW Legolas, Toulouse is growing faster than Madrid.......
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:37 PM   #387
pricemazda
Titter ye not.

Likes (Received): 1384

I don't know Exarchus, you say some stupid things (jk). All the stuff you write in French seems stupid to me because its not in English, I mean, how dumb is that, speaking another language, when English is great.

Of course just so I don't get in trouble, i was entirely joking.
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:39 PM   #388
Matthieu
Administrateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pricemazda
I don't know Exarchus, you say some stupid things (jk). All the stuff you write in French seems stupid to me because its not in English, I mean, how dumb is that, speaking another language, when English is great.

Of course just so I don't get in trouble, i was entirely joking.

lol.

French language rocks!!!!!
Old January 25th, 2005, 09:50 PM   #389
legolas
I'm back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarchus
French people always say stupid things? That's the stupidest thing I seen on this forum.

Juajua. Dream guy!!! There are more cities in Spain 100 times bigger and more important than Toulouse!!
Madrid is bigger than St. Pt. in Metropolitan Area. The same than Paris, that has 2 mill. people only in the city, but 9 in the MA. Madrid has 6 mill in MA. But before I mean the "west" of europe. Sorry. I think you should have more marketing to be known in the rest of Europe.
And, exarchus, I know that French people thinks you are the best, but you must learn better other languages as english one!!! Mine it's not very good but we don't think our language it's the best, being the second more spoken in the world, & we try to learn anymore as english one!!
legolas no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2005, 10:05 PM   #390
Matthieu
Administrateur

The metroarea of Paris is more than 9milions.
2 milions is the inner city only.

Toulouse population grow is 1,5% a year minimum (up to 3,5% a year). The metroarea is 1milion now. Population grow will stay stable for a couple of decades.

About languages, well I speak French and English correctly.
I can read Spanish, Italian and a bit of latin, having studied them. I can also read old Frankish because I speak French and read latin even though I never learned it. Any comments? You can try in Spanish, there are many chances I understand it, though I'll answer you in French then.

EDIT: I forgot Occitan and Catalan, I can read some of those too.

I though the most spoken in the world was Chinese Mandarin followed by Arabic.......

Last edited by Matthieu; January 25th, 2005 at 10:23 PM.
Matthieu no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2005, 10:18 PM   #391
applegate13

I voted for Madrid, but that's only because I wanna see the Olympics in Boston in 2016
applegate13 no está en línea  
Old January 25th, 2005, 11:02 PM   #392
Mo Rush

Likes (Received): 74

boston??yeah keep dreaming
Mo Rush no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2005, 01:10 AM   #393
Lss911
braaaap all day!

Likes (Received): 38

Toulousse wont ever be at madrid`s level! Impossible! I hope New York wins the competition so lisbon could host the OG2016! Anyway Lisbon 2020 is okay as well! Maybe it would be even better...
Lss911 no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2005, 09:21 AM   #394
Prometheus

Likes (Received): 9

Noir, the thing is the Olympics have become too huge for their own good. How many 'small' countries can host them? Are they to become a play thing for the U.S and other large countries?

I vote Paris 2012. After the barking America did over security at Athens 2004, what are they thinking trying to bring them to ground zero?
Old January 26th, 2005, 09:22 AM   #395
Prometheus

Likes (Received): 9

Oh, and the 2016 or 2020 games will be in Toronto. Mark my words.
Old January 26th, 2005, 09:36 AM   #396
Matthieu
Administrateur

I'm not saying Toulouse will be bigger than Madrid, I'm saying it's growing faster. To answer those who say Madrid grow faster than Paris (and Madrid will certainly not be at Paris level either).

Not to hijjack the thread but here are some point so you guys are aware of what going on here.

Though, about history or forecast we never know, Toulouse have a strong population and economic grow, the fastest of europe for a city of its size in fact (about 1milion). It's close of Montpellier, wich as the 2nd strongest grow of Europe after Toulouse, giving the area a strong potential.
The economy is based of aerospace (EADS, Airbus, CNES, SNECMA) high technology (Motorola Europe, Alcatel, Matra) and biological technologies.
Old January 26th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #397
Kika
Better United

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:

Please, take also into account the racist and offensive comments made by an ignorant like gun57 who obviously never went to Spain.

By the way, Spanish is always ranking in the top 4 most spoken languages in the world but definitely more spoken than Arabic of course but behind Mandarin as you have pointed out. I suggest you to type “most spoken languages” on Google, there are a bunch of interesting articles about that…

It looks to me that you are very much focused on what’s happening only in France and wish to know what makes you say that Toulouse a city with an estimated population of 427’000 inhabitants and now ranking in third position in France (a country that only has 2 cities above 500’000 people) has the highest growth in Europe and Montpellier the second… Are you talking about an economical point of view or the population? Madrid does not have the pretension to be the number one in Europe but it definitely has a tremendous growth in all point of views and the city has grown faster than Paris in the last decade at least in terms of population as the city will soon reach the 6 millions inhabitants including its satellites cities that had a growth in percentage much higher than Toulouse which by the way it’s a city a like very much but that cannot be compared with Madrid of course.

A+
Old January 26th, 2005, 10:33 AM   #398
Matthieu
Administrateur

I've discussed with a Spanish moderator. We know Gun57, don't worry about this.

But if you feel someone is trolling, the answer isn't to go in the same kind of statements.

For Toulouse, 400.000 is the inner city, 1 milion is the metroarea.

Since 6 milions for Madrid is the metroarea, it's fair to talk about the metroarea of the French cities too. And I'm saying Toulouse is growing faster, wich you agree with obviously Toulouse population grow is between 1,5% and 3,5% a year unless you can fight bigger ratio (for the same size, tiny villages who double their population easily don't count). Since Legolas say Madrid is growing faster than Paris while it won't get the same position than Paris (especially considering Spain isn't as centralised than France).

Toulouse population grow last years (1st in urban area, 2nd is metroarea):

1968 439,764 474,000
1975 509,939 585,000
1982 541,271 645,000
1990 650,336 797,373
1999 761,090 964,797

Last census was 99, metroarea reach the milion in 2002. The source is the INSEE. National agency for census.

According to wikipedia.

Madrid inner city is: 3 milions, urban area is 5 milions, metroarea 6 milions.

Paris inner city is 2 milions, metroarea is 11 milions.

About Toulouse and Montpellier grow, here is the best article in English I could find (I didn't write it).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languedoc

Quote:
Growth is particularly strong in the metropolitan areas of Toulouse and Montpellier, which are the two fastest growing metropolitan areas in Europe at the moment.

Last edited by Matthieu; January 26th, 2005 at 11:22 AM.
Matthieu no está en línea  
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:41 AM   #399
Kika
Better United

Likes (Received): 42

Quote:
I've discussed with a Spanish moderator. We know Gun57, don't worry about this.

But if you feel someone is trolling, the answer isn't to go in the same kind of statements.

For Toulouse, 400.000 is the inner city, 1 milion is the metroarea.

Since 6 milions for Madrid is the metroarea, it's fair to talk about the metroarea of the French cities too. And I'm saying Toulouse is growing faster, wich you agree with obviously Toulouse population grow is between 1,5% and 3,5% a year unless you can fight bigger ratio (for the same size, tiny villages who double their population easily don't count). Since Legolas say Madrid is growing faster than Paris while it won't get the same position than Paris (especially considering Spain isn't as centralised than France).

Toulouse population grow last years (1st in urban area, 2nd is metroarea):

1968 439,764 474,000
1975 509,939 585,000
1982 541,271 645,000
1990 650,336 797,373
1999 761,090 964,797

Last census was 99, metroarea reach the milion in 2002. The source is the INSEE. National agency for census.

According to wikipedia.

Madrid inner city is: 3 milions, urban area is 5 milions, metroarea 6 milions.

Paris inner city is 2 milions, metroarea is 11 milions.

About Toulouse and Montpellier grow, here is the best article in English I could find (I didn't write it).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languedoc

Thank you for the data! It is amazing how Toulouse is growing! Your city will soon surpass Lyon and rank in the second place in France.
A comparable city in Spain is Murcia (seventh biggest city in Spain) that experienced a growth of 6.8% (over 25’000 inhabitants in one single year!) in its population due to a sustained and massive immigration from Colombia and Ecuador mainly. The city reached 399’000 inhabitants in the official census of January first 2004. Thus and although no one is saying that Murcia had the highest growth in terms of population of Europe we can admit that its growth was definitely superior to the figures you have posted for Toulouse.

For the Olympics, I think it would be quite fair for Paris to have them if it is not Madrid. Both cities are the best prepared to host them!

PS: I am sorry but I don’t get what your wrote about legolas in your last post.
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:46 AM   #400
ShayPlan
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

moscow! for winter, but never the summer olympics! its summers are too cold for most.
ShayPlan no está en línea  

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016