daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 12th, 2007, 09:16 PM   #4101
northway
It is north-way here

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by qatar son 333 View Post
you simply dont know a grahein of sand about this nations ability did you even hear about the asian games ? did you study qatar ? because you have no idea what this country can do !

Qatar sitting on 900+ trillion cubic feet of Natural Gas that wont finish till about the year 2200 !

Qatar is the largest producer of LNG (Liquified Natural Gas) in the world !

Qatar is the 3rd largest is in terms of GDP per capita !

Qatar is one of the fastest growing economys in the world !

so if you say that Doha cant make it in 2016 your wrong, not enough to see the games ? yeah right i dont think you saw that the GCC has 100% support to doha 2016 bid which means spectators will most probably not be a problem.

yes our infrastructure is planned perfectly well thank you very much !

Its not about how much wealth you have ... Olympics is not Asian games ... GCC (including your country) are full of poor labor who will not be able to attend these games ... besides, the people of Saudi Arabia the largest country in your approximity is not, and will not be, prepared to see women sports, neither Iran (not a GCC country) ... so again the people factor is damn important, and it will fail you horribly.

Shortages, in raw materials and skilled labor, already mounting in your construction industry, and a lot of delays being witnessed ... if you really wanna be a contender as a world class host city (not only buying the IOC members votes and then present a world scam - as you already buying athletes and entire teams from abroad) you would 10x the amount of construction that is going on in your country ... and this is impossible. Sure you can pay 2x, 10x, or even 100x the price and cost of everything, and bring millions of workers and engineers ... but this is not what Olympics is about. I think many other mature world class cities deserve to host this fest of humanity ... you should wait for 20 more years - at the earliest, just my humble opinion.

I happen to be pretty much aware of your country, the geography, history (if any), economics, and politics .... Believe me, I know a lot.

Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #4102
Herzarsen
Herzarsen

Likes (Received): 64

Northway,

You have some good points, but let me tell you, money is key in the Olympic games. You need good facilities. Thats the most important thing. And also security with all thats happening today. From what I see is that the country is willing to do anything to get the games, thats one of the key prerequesites to hosting games. 10 years is long long time too, especially in the fastest growing economies in Asia and Middle East. They are without doubt capable of building a brand new city during this time with needed infrustructure and venues. Your main point which could be correct at this time is that there is not enough economically strong local people in and around the Qatar who may go to the games. But like I said 10 years is a long time and these economies such as Qatar, Dubai, even Saudi Arabia are industrializing heavily and building knowledge economies. They bring a lot of western workers and will educate their own people. If they do things the right way in 10 years time the country could be ready for the olympics. Lets just wait and see, Doha could win it at the end.

By the way, thanks for qatar son 333, thanks for keeping this thread alive. Its educational for all of us.
Herzarsen no está en línea  
Old December 12th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #4103
[email protected]
Global Citizen

Likes (Received): 6410

Just curious...what about Qatar's infrastructure when it comes to public transportation?

Especially given the fact that the vast majority of Olympic visitors don't care about multiple-lane highways and giant flyovers, but almost completely rely on public transport to get around.

How many subway lines does Doha have, how many are planned? What about light rail (tram) and bus systems?
R@ptor no está en línea  
Old December 12th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #4104
Tomas05

Likes (Received): 0

I don't know why.. but it's hard to see how Doha can host the olympic games.

*The current stadium is much tiny

*What about the weather? Doha's summer temperature is terrible

*Are there enough hotels to the host the millions?

*Are there enough restaurants and clubs for the nights?

*Will the people from israel stay at home?

Last edited by Tomas05; December 13th, 2007 at 12:33 AM.
Tomas05 no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:09 AM   #4105
gladisimo
If I could be anyone...

Likes (Received): 39

Wow, does this guy work for the Doha olympic committee or something?

At first I thought it would be an interesting idea, but so many posts about the same thing is annoying me now.

I'm more interested to see who else wants to bid for this.

RIP Dopey - 9/2005 - 20/2/2008
gladisimo no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2007, 12:48 AM   #4106
shadyunltd

No way Doha wins over Chicago.
shadyunltd no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:04 AM   #4107
crazyeight
21st century destination

Likes (Received): 1

Qatar 2016? I don't think so!
Old December 13th, 2007, 07:55 AM   #4108
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Just curious...what about Qatar's infrastructure when it comes to public transportation?

Especially given the fact that the vast majority of Olympic visitors don't care about multiple-lane highways and giant flyovers, but almost completely rely on public transport to get around.

How many subway lines does Doha have, how many are planned? What about light rail (tram) and bus systems?
this article is from the Doha 2016 website

Quote:
Railway network

Although there is currently no railway network in Qatar, plans are already under way to build one, in particular as part of the construction of the new city of Lusail on the northern outskirts of Doha.

Lusail's plans include both an underground and aboveground train network, which will be fully integrated with a new rail system in Doha itself. In addition, it plans to develop a new water-taxi service to run along the Doha coastline.

Quote:
Cars and buses

Public transport in Qatar made a major leap forward in 2004 with the launch of The Qatar Transport Company, more commonly known by its Arabic name Mowasalat. This is a government-owned bus, taxi and limousine service.

The turquoise and white Mowasalat taxis - known as 'Karwa' - are available in all parts of Doha and can be hailed from the side of the road, booked in advance, or found at taxi ranks at the airport and dotted around the city.

Mowasalat also operates a large fleet of air-conditioned public buses that run along several routes in and out of Doha from its City Centre hub, Al Ghanim Station.

Quote:
New Doha International Airport

Construction of the New Doha International Airport is already underway. The airport will be built four kilometres from the existing one, on a 5,400-acre site.

The new airport, on the outskirts of the city, is being built in response to a projected increasing demand for international passengers to the region. The current airport handles 4.2 million passengers per year, whereas the new airport will be designed to handle 12.5 million per year after the first phase of construction.

The first phase will cost US$2.5billion, while phases two and three are projected to cost an additional US$5billion.

When finished, the new airport will be approximately two-thirds the size of the city of Doha itself.

During the construction process, the old airport is being expanded and refurbished at a cost of $140million. This to increase its capacity to 7.2 million passengers per year for the interim period before the new airport takes over.

Phase One:

The first phase of construction of the new airport, due to be completed in 2009, will include two parallel runways designed specifically to accommodate the new Airbus A380-800 'Super Jumbo'.

A three-storey terminal building will also be constructed.

The airport will have a luxury hotel and a transit hotel. The complex will also include a cargo terminal, additional hard standing areas for the passenger terminal, hangar space for two A380-800s and three A340s at the same time, and a maintenance centre.

Finally the airport, which has been described as "a small city within a city" will include a business park, a free trade zone, a courier and mail facility and a general aviation facility.

Phases Two and Three:

The second phase of construction will include the addition of a further 16 gates and an extension of the terminal building.

In addition, there will be a suspended monorail system for passenger transit through the terminal. A further luxury hotel will be constructed to accommodate the additional passenger capacity of more than 25 million per year passing through the airport.

The third phase will include the addition of a further 40 contact gates, which would bring the final total to 80.

The projected date for final completion is 2015. When fully completed the new airport will be will be the first in the world purpose-built to accommodate the A380-800 Super Jumbos - able to service six simultaneously.
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #4109
nazrey

Likes (Received): 11286

2016 Summer Olympic Games

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) will meet on 2 October 2009 in Copenhagen, Denmark (DEN), to decide the winner of the 2016 Summer Olympic Games. This meeting will be known officially as "121st IOC Session and Olympic Congress".

Official candidate cities are:
Rio De Janeiro, Brazil (BRA).
Prague, Czech Republic (CZE).
Madrid, Spain (ESP).
Tokyo, Japan (JPN).
Monterrey, Mexico (MEX).
Doha, Qatar (QAT).
Chicago, United States of America (USA).

Potential candidate cities are:
Buenos Aires, Argentina (ARG).
Brisbane, Australia (AUS).
Perth, Australia (AUS).
Baku, Azerbaijan (AZE).
Montreal, Canada (CAN).
Toronto, Canada (CAN).
Santiago de Chile, Chile (CHI).
Havana, Cuba (CUB).
Hamburg, Germany (GER).
Leipzig, Germany (GER).
New Dehli, India (IND).
Tel Aviv-Jaffa, Israel (ISR).
Rome, Italy (ITA).
Nairobi, Kenya (KEN).
Amsterdam, Netherlands (NED).
Rotterdam, Netherlands (NED).
Lisbon, Portugal (POR).
Cape Town, Republic of South Africa (RSA).
Durban, Republic of South Africa (RSA).
Bangkok, Thailand (THA).
Istanbul, Turkey (TUR).
Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE).

Cancelled candidate cities are:
Brussels/Flanders, Belgium (BEL).
Fukuoka, Japan (JAP).
Sapporo, Japan (JAP).
Tijuana, Mexico (MEX).
Moscow, Russian Federation (RUS).
Baltimore, United States of America (USA).
Houston & Philadelphia, United States of America (USA).
Los Angeles, United States of America (USA).
San Diego, United States of America (USA).
San Francisco, United States of America (USA).

Last edited by nazrey; December 13th, 2007 at 08:59 AM.
nazrey no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2007, 08:16 AM   #4110
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Answers for Tomas.......

I don't know why.. but it's hard to see how Doha can host the olympic games.

*The current stadium is much tiny

*Well my friend khalifa stadium is being expanded to 60,000 from 50,000 and currently 1 paralympic stadium is Under Construction and 1 football stadium is Under Construction and the current stadiums and venues can easily be expanded

*What about the weather? Doha's summer temperature is terrible

*Who said its going to be hosted in summer ? like the summer asian games if doha gets 2016 it will host it in december when the weather is good

*Are there enough hotels to the host the millions?

*Well i wouldent expect millions to come ! but Doha's hotel industry has made considerable strides, both in terms of quality of services and in room capacity, which currently stands at around 10,000 rooms. As part of its strategy to establish Qatar as a new tourist destination, the government's plans include a rapid and significant expansion of hotel capacity to more than 60,000 rooms by 2016. and if those rooms are not enough cruise ships would help alot.

*Are there enough restaurants and clubs for the nights?

*Well there are restaurants and there will be more certenly in the future but no clubs can be found the only places where they sell alchol is hotels.

*Will the people from israel stay at home?

*This case is diffrent since Qatar does not allow people that have passports that inducated that they visited Israel, its either the country will ban this law during the year 2016, or the hundreds of athleats from Israel wont go to 2016 which is highly unlikely.

Last edited by Qatar Son 333; December 13th, 2007 at 09:06 AM.
Old December 13th, 2007, 09:05 AM   #4111
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

I found this article accidentally in the news today cheers

Olympic games a chance to highlight Arab culture

Dr. Saif Ali Al-Hajari addressing Qatar University students.

Doha • Vice Chairman of Qatar Foundation, Dr. Saif Ali Al Hajari yesterday said if Doha wins the bid to hold 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games, it would help change perceptions about the Arab world and culture.

"The Games and the years leading up to them will show how Doha has maintained the traditional desert culture of generosity and hospitality, whilst today's Doha embraces the modern world in which we live, with its first class business, technological and sports facilities," he said.

Al Hajari was addressing over 200 students at Qatar University, calling for support to the Doha 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games bid for the country to succeed in successfully hosting the largest sporting event in the world.

Asked whether all of the proposed changes in sporting infrastructure would still go ahead as planned if Doha loses the bid to host the Olympics, Al Hajari said all sports infrastructure projects currently in the pipeline will be implemented regardless of IOC's decision in 2009.

He added that the Doha 2016 Olympic Games Plan will establish a new state-of-the-art regional centre for youth sports in a part of the world currently lacking such facilities.

He also noted that there are also plans to build the world's most advanced Paralympic stadium.
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #4112
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Al Shaqab Equestrian Academy

it will most probably hold the Equestrian events if Doha gets 2016 Olympics.

the venue is already U/C and will be ready in 2008, and its part of Education City Doha

Note Pictures and Information are taken from the original thread in the Qatar forum

Some Construction Pictures

Leighton awarded USD407 million equestrian centre project in Qatar

Leighton Asia (Southern) has been awarded a USD407 million contract for the construction of the Al Shaqab Equestrian Academy in Qatar for the Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development.

Operating as Gulf Leighton, Leighton is responsible for the construction of a world-class equine management facility that will include:

• An equine breeding facility

• An equine hospital

• An Olympic-standard indoor arena with adjoining outdoor arena

• A members' clubhouse and stables for members' horses

• State-of-the-art stables including separate facilities for different categories of Arabian horses such as breeding and show horses; endurance horses; dressage horses; and showjumping horses

• Staff accommodation

• Entertainment facilities

• A museum

• All associated infrastructure works

Work will commence later this month and the project is due for completion in December 2008.

Managing Director of Leighton Asia (Southern), David Savage, said that the new project was Leighton's first in the region and highlighted the potential of the Arabian Gulf market.

'We recognised the potential of the Gulf region some time ago, and established an office in Dubai in 2004 from which to investigate opportunities in the region,' David said.

'We've spent most of the time since then getting to know the various markets. We've been prepared to be patient and we've been quite selective in the projects we have decided to pursue.

'We have been working closely with the Qatar Foundation for a number of months to finalise the contract, and I am delighted that we have been able to secure this important project with such a highly respected client,' he said.

Mr Savage said that the new project takes Leighton Asia (Southern)'s work in hand to over US$900 million. He said that Leighton was pursuing a number of other building and civil engineering projects in the region, and that he hoped to announce another new contract in the near future.

'The Gulf region has emerged as an important market for us. We expect it to make a substantial contribution to our results for a number of years,' he said.

The Qatar Foundation for Education, Science and Community Development is a private, chartered, non-profit organization, founded in 1995 by His Highness Sheikh Hamad Bin Khalifa Al-Thani, Emir of Qatar. The Foundation aims to develop the potential of Qatar's people through a network of centres devoted to progressive education, research and community welfare.

The Al Shaqab Stud is internationally renowned for excellence in the breeding and showing of pure-bred Arabian horses. The academy will form part of Qatar Foundation's Education City, a 2,500-acre campus on the outskirts of the Qatari capital Doha that hosts branch campuses of some of the world's leading universities, as well as numerous other educational and research institutions.
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:21 AM   #4113
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

If Doha gets the 2016 games (which is not totaly unlikely, because everything can be bought with money), I hope it'll be an incentive to finaly do something about human rights, democracy and most of all women rights in the Arabic world!

Though I respect Arabian culture and traditions, especially the way women are treated in a country like Saudi Arabia, and the total lack of democracy in that country, is outragious.

If you want to organize the Olympics, you have to be prepared to let in all the diversity that exists in the world, the ban on Israeli passports is just one problem of many. Even though Qatar may be one of the more progressive countries in the Arabian world, I think this may be a major problem (besides the weather, athletes will sweat themselves to death in the Arabian summer!).
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:37 AM   #4114
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

for the weather thing the date can easily be changed from June to Decemeber just like the Doha 2006 Asian Games.

Are you kidding me ! Women rights is the most respected rule in Qatar totaly unlike saudi arabia.

for example : in Qatar women can drive cars, in Saudi arabia women are banned from Driving.

and the case of women appering in Bikinis and swim suits for competitions like swimming and water polo as you can see it was completly normal during the asian games.

here is a video about Qatar abit old but helpful

Part 1

Part 2
Old December 13th, 2007, 10:45 AM   #4115
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
for the weather thing the date can easily be changed from June to Decemeber just like the Doha 2006 Asian Games.

Are you kidding me ! Women rights is the most respected rule in Qatar totaly unlike saudi arabia.

for example : in Qatar women can drive cars, in Saudi arabia women are banned from Driving.

and the case of women appering in Bikinis and swim suits for competitions like swimming and water polo as you can see it was completly normal during the asian games.

here is a video about Qatar abit old but helpful
Like I said in my post, Qatar is one of the most progressive countries in the region. I hope Olympics in Qatar will be an incentive for other countries, like Saudi Arabia, to change their absolutely outragious policies.

And regarding the weather issue: the IOC does not allow Olympics in december, big problem for your bid I think! The latest the olympics can start is at the end of september I think, it's still way too hot in Qatar in september!
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #4116
Tomas05

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Answers for Tomas.......

*Well my friend khalifa stadium is being expanded to 60,000 from 50,000 and currently 1 paralympic stadium is Under Construction and 1 football stadium is Under Construction and the current stadiums and venues can easily be expanded

will be "expended" or not, those venues can't suit an olympic park. The venues in chicago for example, are on a "better league".

*Who said its going to be hosted in summer ? like the summer asian games if doha gets 2016 it will host it in december when the weather is good

i don't like this idea, it's not really clever to change the olympic games date.
it's gona be objected..

*Well i wouldent expect millions to come ! but Doha's hotel industry has made considerable strides, both in terms of quality of services and in room capacity, which currently stands at around 10,000 rooms. As part of its strategy to establish Qatar as a new tourist destination, the government's plans include a rapid and significant expansion of hotel capacity to more than 60,000 rooms by 2016. and if those rooms are not enough cruise ships would help alot.

10,000? it just makes my question stronger.. do u really believe Qatar can build another 50,000 rooms until then? i do not. And still, 60,000 rooms are not like 100,000- that's a "normal size" for the event.

*Well there are restaurants and there will be more certenly in the future but no clubs can be found the only places where they sell alchol is hotels.

ok, now i think i will not come xD

*This case is diffrent since Qatar does not allow people that have passports that inducated that they visited Israel, its either the country will ban this law during the year 2016, or the hundreds of athleats from Israel wont go to 2016 which is highly unlikely.
are u joking? if any country can't join to the olympic games, it's really bad
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:04 AM   #4117
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

i said its highly unlikely ! sheeesh !

but i belive they will be allowed, well atleast for 1 year that is 2016 lol
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:10 AM   #4118
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joop20 View Post
Like I said in my post, Qatar is one of the most progressive countries in the region. I hope Olympics in Qatar will be an incentive for other countries, like Saudi Arabia, to change their absolutely outragious policies.

And regarding the weather issue: the IOC does not allow Olympics in december, big problem for your bid I think! The latest the olympics can start is at the end of september I think, it's still way too hot in Qatar in september!
yeah countries like saudi arabia are so negative for example its the only country in the GCC that you need a passport to enter while the others are by ID card

but to put a thought to it if Doha is paying 500,000 for just bidding (Alonge with chicago, Rio and the others) dont you think its willing to pay the IOC (Secretly) to host it in December ?! i heard sydney hosted it very late in 2000 is this true ?
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:14 AM   #4119
Anberlin

Likes (Received): 31

..WOW! Doha 2016? Maybe!
Anberlin no está en línea  
Old December 13th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #4120
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2773

IOC: World Cup won't boot Rio's 2016 bid

Quote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...i_tab02_layout

IOC: World Cup won't boot Rio's 2016 bid
By Philip Hersh | Tribune Olympic sports reporter
10:24 PM CST, December 12, 2007

LAUSANNE, Switzerland - Having soccer's World Cup in 2014 will help rather than hurt Rio de Janeiro's chances to be chosen 2016 Olympic Games host, International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge said Wednesday.

Rio is among Chicago's six rivals in the 2016 competition. The IOC members will choose the winner Oct. 2, 2009.

Rogge clearly disagrees with those who think Brazil, and especially Rio, may lack the capacity to handle the world's two biggest sporting events in a two-year period.

"Rio 2016 would benefit from the investment made by the FIFA World Cup," Rogge said. "There will be better roads, new stadiums, more facilities, more infrastructure. There will be also a big pool of volunteers which Rio 2016 will be able to tap should they be given the right to organize the Games.

"I don't think that the IOC members will link a potential vote in 2016 to something that has happened in 2014. They are two different electorates. I don't think one will impede on the other."

FIFA awarded the 2014 World Cup to Brazil in October. It was the only candidate for the monthlong tournament.

Mexico (1968-70), West Germany (1972-74) and the United States (1994-96) have staged the Olympics and World Cup in a two-year period, but both events are nearly twice as large as they were in Mexico and Germany.

The growth involves not only numbers of teams and athletes but numbers of media, sponsors and guests the country must accommodate. There also are significant challenges in finding enough national sponsorship money to bankroll both in such a short span.

Two British Internet gambling sites make Chicago the 2016 favorite and Rio the top challenger.

One site, www.betbrain.com, lists Chicago at 1.7-1, Rio at 3.3-1 and Tokyo third at 7.7-1. The other, bet365.com, has Chicago at 1.72-1, Rio at 3.25-1 and Tokyo at 8-1.

Both oddsmakers surprisingly put Doha, Qatar, in fourth, ahead of Madrid.

Prague and Baku, Azerbaijan, the other two candidates, are far back.

Rio, which bid for the 2012 Olympics but was not among the five finalists, undoubtedly has gained some support, as well as self-confidence and the confidence of the international sports world from its staging of the 2007 Pan American Games.

Its Olympic bid will incorporate many of the facilities used for the Pan Ams, but it was announced this week the government will fund a new Olympic Park in suburban Barra de Tijuca, where several Pan Am venues were located.

"The Pan Am Games were definitely a success," Rogge said. "The feedback I have got from the national Olympic committees and internal [sports] federations was very positive."

Rogge was speaking after a three-day executive board meeting in which the decisions included drawing of positions for all presentations related to the 2016 bid.

Chicago drew the first position, which most would consider unfavorable because the presentations before the final vote could drag on five hours or more. The rest of the order is Prague, Tokyo, Rio, Baku, Doha and Madrid.

That means Chicago, should it be named a finalist in June, also would be the first city visited by the IOC evaluation commission in 2009.

[email protected]

More articles

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016