daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas

Stadiums and Sport Arenas » Completed | Under Construction | Proposed | Demolished

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

View Poll Results: host city of Olympics 2012
London, UK 280 25.23%
Madrid, Spain 342 30.81%
Moscow, Russia 90 8.11%
New York, USA 206 18.56%
Paris, France 192 17.30%
Voters: 1110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old January 6th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #4281
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 843

I do know that a new 70,000-seat stadium is to be built for Baku regardless of the outcome. I found that out over at the GamesBids.com forums.
Jim856796 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old January 6th, 2008, 06:37 PM   #4282
Joop20

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
I do know that a new 70,000-seat stadium is to be built for Baku regardless of the outcome. I found that out over at the GamesBids.com forums.
Too bad this isn't mentioned on the bid's website, at least i couldn't find any news on venues on it. In fact, the website contains almost no relevant information for the bid, Baku really is 2016's joke...
Joop20 no está en línea  
Old January 6th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #4283
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

From GamesBids.com

Quote:
http://www.gamesbids.com/cgi-bin/new...&id=1199568691

Saturday, January 05, 2008
IOC Member Assesses Olympic BidsPosted 4:31 pm ET (GamesBids.com)

A senior International Olympic Committee (IOC) member, in an interview with AFP, said that Chicago is the favourite to win the 2016 Summer Olympic Games, Munich could win the right to host the 2018 Winter Games, and Singapore is a favourite for the 2010 Youth Olympic Games.

According to the IOC member, while PyeongChang is bidding for a third successive time for the 2016 Games, the sheer force of IOC vice president Thomas Bach could swing the vote to Munich. He said, “PyeongChang bidding for a third time is a big gamble as the selling point of bringing peace to the peninsula (between North and South Korea) will start to sound a bit like a stuck record. However, on their side Europe will have hosted it in 2014, but with China thinking of launching a bid they may not end up as Asia’s leading bidder.

“Asia, though, does only have a limited amount of places where the Winter Games can be hosted, and PyeongChang definitely is one of them”.

AFP reports that the IOC member believes that because Sochi is hosting the 2014 Winter Games it could override Bach’s lobbying for Munich even if the Swiss city of Geneva decides to enter the race as it may, depending on popular reaction. He added, “Thomas Bach is a very smart operator. He is a top lawyer and a very good personality. Also, he will want to bring Munich the Games to cement his image as being the favourite to replace Jacques Rogge as IOC president in 2013”.

The IOC member called Chicago a “hot favourite” to win the 2016 Summer Games and said only they can mess it up. He said “they are streets ahead of their rivals. They have been the frontrunners since day one and nothing has as yet changed my mind that they can lose. However, as the saying goes ‘it is theirs to lose’”.

But he cautioned that despite initial reservations, Rid de Janeiro could be the dark horse even if Brazil is hosting the 2014 World Cup. He admitted, “the organization of last year’s Pan American Games (in Rio) were not the best.

“Also there was a feeling that having secured the World Cup that IOC members would not feel keen to award them the 2016 Olympics because of their style. They do not want to feel that they are the dessert coming after the main course.

“Nevertheless Carlos Guzman (Brazilian IOC member) told me that there was no question of Rio letting up and they would be going all out for victory. He should not be underestimated as he is a formidable and well liked character”.

He called Tokyo’s chances of winning the Games negligible. “With Beijing hosting this year’s Games and the decision for 2016 to be taken in 2009 – just a year after China is host – it is highly unlikely that IOC members will favour a return so soon to Asia”.

But despite Rio’s surge the IOC member believes that the decision will boil down to one thing should the two frontrunners be neck and neck – the head of state of the country.

It is believed that British Prime Minister Tony Blair and Russian President Vladimir Putin played a big role in their countries winning the 2012 and 2016 Olympic Games.

The IOC member had some thoughts about the 2010 Youth Olympic Games. The member told AFP Singapore should prevail in the race. He said while Bangkok could be eliminated as a viable candidate, Singapore fits the bill as host because it is probably not capable of hosting senior Olympic Games. On that basis it should rule out Athens, Moscow and Turin, all cities that have already hosted Olympic Games.

PRINT THIS ARTICLE EMAIL THIS ARTICLE
Old January 6th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #4284
sagaex3
WeStErN bOy

Likes (Received): 0

hoooo! Chicago

-Panamericanos 2011-Mundial Ecuestre 2014-Mundial de Pelota Vasca 2014-Mundial de Natación 2017-
"Ninguna como tú"
sagaex3 no está en línea  
Old January 6th, 2008, 07:58 PM   #4285
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

yeah along with the other ones....
Qatar Son 333 no está en línea  
Old January 6th, 2008, 08:56 PM   #4286
takiro

Likes (Received): 1688

ĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦDOHA 2016!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦĦMONTERREY 2020!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
takiro no está en línea  
Old January 7th, 2008, 04:51 PM   #4287
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

yeah i was wondering why monterrey did not submit a bid...........
Old January 7th, 2008, 04:54 PM   #4288
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

why it seems nice

but the baku logo reminds me of chicago's enough with the six pointed stars already !
Old January 7th, 2008, 05:01 PM   #4289
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar View Post
Chicago is professional and by far the best.

Tokyo is borrowing far too much from London ribbon idea - it's basically lifted the design elements right from it. Eurostyle typeface doesn't work with the japanese ideals IMO far too euro in its appearance. Fail.

Rio is trying too hard to be fashionable and cutting-edge with the repetitious 'i' element, heart is cheesy... it just fails.

Madrid is plain chat ... vulgar, simplistic and poorly done. Hand is cheesy and boring. Fail.

Baku is ok, too much fire symbolism maybe, its a bit busy but not a total fail.

Doha ... hahah too funny. So bad it's funny, this looks like it was done by someone with ZERO understanding of professional international corporate identity. Major fail.

you dont even understand the logo do you.....

how could you judge somthing if youdont know what it is !

just for your understanding the logo's design represents the blossoming of these elements leading growth in Qatar.

" The Aldahma - the 'Flower of the Spring' - was chosen to represent the vital and energetic spirit of the season. The Aldahma's natural habitat in the sands of the desert draws a parallel with the vibrant and colourful life flourishing in the State of Qatar.

The calligraphy strokes making the words 'Doha 2016' are a unique manipulation of the traditional organic Henna patterns that women use to adorn their hands and arms as part of social and holiday celebrations.

The dynamic interaction between the Arabic calligraphy and the English type is an interpretation of modernity.

The logo is a welcoming message for a truly energetic and celebratory 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games in Doha.

The logo was created by students at the Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts in Qatar (VCUQ). "
Old January 7th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #4290
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

old thread.................... useless to current information............
Old January 8th, 2008, 09:42 AM   #4291
Galactic Ruler

Likes (Received): 507

From and international point of view it's simply shit. There are no cross-cultural design elements that can be easily interpreted by everyone.

How can you expect it to be good design if noone can readily interpret what it represents? It should at least have some elements people unfamiliar with the city might grasp.

I looks poorly executed.
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #4292
city_thing
Put it in your mouth

Likes (Received): 883

That project in Dubai is just ridiculous. Don't the leaders (I'll avoid the word 'dictators' for now) of Dubai have any sense of what 'really makes a city' at all?
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:25 PM   #4293
www.sercan.de
Galatasaray SK

Likes (Received): 2718

I do not like the Dubai project
Towers are the center-point and the sports venues are at the edge
IMO it needs also more green. Looks too much commercial and recreative, athletic, healthy and fresh

ULEB Eurocup (1): 2016

FIBA EuroLeague Women (1): 2014
FIBA EuroCup Women (1): 2009

IWBF Champions Cup (5): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014
IWBF André Vergauwen Cup (1): 2017
IWBF Intercontinental Cup (4): 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012

EJU Golden League (1): 2014
www.sercan.de no está en línea  
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #4294
skaP187

Likes (Received): 503

Roumers are that Amsterdam and/or (ofcourse) Rotterdam wants to bid also...
Maybe more serious for 2020
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:31 PM   #4295
Qatar Son 333
BANNED

it looks like a flower for Gods sake ! its ovbiously arabic calligraphy ! is also clear says Doha 2016 on the side ! its so obviouse and easily known !
Old January 9th, 2008, 05:32 PM   #4296
QatPhils
DOH - AUH - Baguio :D

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar View Post
From and international point of view it's simply shit. There are no cross-cultural design elements that can be easily interpreted by everyone.

How can you expect it to be good design if noone can readily interpret what it represents? It should at least have some elements people unfamiliar with the city might grasp.

I looks poorly executed.
That took the mind and courage to do that, try if you can create one representing your country if they can approve it!! Making fun is discouraged.
QatPhils no está en línea  
Old January 9th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #4297
QatPhils

Great Baku, but problem is just the poverty in some Azerbaijanis.
Old January 9th, 2008, 05:35 PM   #4298
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

six pointed star is on the Azerbijan flag. Means six tribes of Oğuz. Perfect logo. Reflects Azerbijan culture and better than Istanbul's.
Kuvvaci no está en línea  
Old January 9th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #4299
Kuvvaci
Strange User

Likes (Received): 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4I.â.B4 View Post
Great Baku, but problem is just the poverty in some Azerbaijanis.
powerty of many chinese were not problem...
Kuvvaci no está en línea  
Old January 9th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #4300
QatPhils

i know, just saying

Closed Thread

Tags
chicago, madrid 2016, olympic games 2016, rio 2016, spain in the world, tokyo 2016